Does Disney Still Not Allow Same Sex Unions?

ECurto

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone~

Let me start by saying im not looking for a debate here.

I know 3 years ago (when we were planning) I was floored to hear Disney didn’t do same sex unions (which they called marriage) as it "did not promote family values, or meet state guidelines" However I heard lately that they do, although I haven’t found any proof of it. I was hoping somebody here may know. My dream would of been to have our ceremony there.

Its a shame that people on both side of the situation (gay and religious/government) cant just come to an agreement on this topic. I personally don’t get why gay people insist on "marriage". Marriage is religious, and i think should be between a man and women. What i want is all the same rights, and benefits, which comes out of a legal ceremony. Call it a "union" "ceremony" or "film flam" for all i care. I don’t get why both sides have to be so stubborn.

So...umm....yea... does Disney do that now? LOL! :rotfl2:

I do not know if this helps but I got this from Disney Weddings. (It won't let me post the URL, so you know what to add to the end of that.) It is in the Wedding Guides section under Common Questions.

What documents will I need for my Disney wedding?
Proof of a valid Florida marriage license is required prior to hosting your wedding ceremony at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Sorry, but passports are not acceptable as proof of marriage. If a previous marriage ended in divorce within 90 days in the state of Florida, or in the past year out of state, a copy of the divorce decree is required. Both bride and groom must be present to obtain the license.

I would imagine that means that WDW does not do same sex unions as a same sex couple would not be able to obtain a valid Florida marriage license (yet). The site does have a phone number to contact a wedding planner that might have more info.

But, there might be a loophole. Some years ago we looked into this and they do offer a vow renewal. The only requirement at the time was proof of a marriage certificate. You can get one of those in Canada and a few other places....just not here. Anyway, maybe you could book a vow renewal, which is basically a wedding without need for a valid FL license. One day, maybe, I can talk Gabby into this. LOL Not that I doubt our ability to stay together for many many years to come, but I just can't see us ever having the money to make that dream come true. But, a dream is a wish your heart makes....and at Disney they say that all of your wishes will come true. Maggie

found this out for you (sorry cant post actual URL. im too new to the site)

Quoted from the site
Gay Days would like to invite you to consult us if you are planning a wedding, commitment ceremony, or other special event while you are vacationing in Orlando during Gay Days or anytime of the year.

Have your Commitment Ceremony in the middle of the Magic!
Say "I DO" overlooking the Walt Disney World Resort during this year's Gay Days celebration.
Leave all the planning and organizing to our professional staff and experience the day you had always wished for.

Packages include:
• Unique ceremony location with a spectacular view over the Walt Disney World Resort
• Theater style ceremony set up
• Officiant to perform the Commitment Ceremony
• Ceremony Certificate
• Recorded Music for the Ceremony
• Champagne Toast
• Elegant Two-Tier Buttercream Wedding Cake
• Beautiful Flower Arrangements for the Couple
• Complete Professional Wedding Ceremony Coordination

Packages start at $540

For more information contact our
Official Gay Days Wedding Planner!
E.M. & Voss Solutions, L.L.C. at
407-898 1749

Moirakris- Thank you for the info! Where did you find that? It's obviously a secondary company, I wonder if there are any fellow diser's out there who have taken advantage of that or if this is something new. If it is new, I am wondering if this has already been pre-arranged with Disney or if it would be a surprise to them when the couple who shows up haapens to be same sex? :confused3

LOL Never mind, I answered my own question this morning while surfing. If anyone else wants the same info. it is from www.gaydays.com. It looks like it is at a Hotel near WDW.

Why not book yourself as a 'convention.' I would think if you are willing to rent the space and pay the banquet fees, why would they care what is going on? I guess if you specifically want a ceremony in the Wedding Pavilion, Disney may get a bit fussy. But there are wonderful locations all around Disney World to have a commitment ceremony.

Randall

:rainbow:

Well here is proff of what we all face everyday.

"joeyrulesall says:

I read all the new posts not by section , just by clicking new posts. I dont
care what he does privatley im just sickened that he has to pick a childrens
theme park to marry a man. I believe in protecting children from sick things ,
not stirring!"

Atleast the mods over on the wedding board cleared it up. It just makes me sick. Atleast we have friends on the other boards looking out for us!

Oh! This just makes me sick to my stomach and sad all at the same time. It's one thing to have your own opinion, but this guy is going to perpetuate it by passing it along to his kids (if he has any). I know that as a parent, passing down our own morals and values is part of raising them, so it's typical. I just feel sorry for kids that are being raised in this day and age with that type of intolerance. It can't make it easy for them especially with kids like mine who are very open about having 2 mom's. We have been pretty lucky so far, most of DS's little friends/classmates are just jealous that they don't have 2 mom's. One of his little buddies lives in the same neighborhood as us and we were chating with his mom one day and she said, "You know you're not making it very easy for me, Robert has always wanted bunkbeds and he said Bubba has one, and now that he knows he has 2 moms! He thinks it's not fair that he doesn't get bunkbeds or 2 mom's!" We just laughed! DD13 has had to deal with some ribbing, but she is very outspoken and usually just tells them to buzz off, or something else typical of a teenager :rolleyes: . Unfortunately it's jus a part of life, as much as I wish it wasn't.

ECurto said:
Well here is proff of what we all face everyday.

"joeyrulesall says:

I read all the new posts not by section , just by clicking new posts. I dont
care what he does privatley im just sickened that he has to pick a childrens
theme park to marry a man. I believe in protecting children from sick things ,
not stirring!"

Atleast the mods over on the wedding board cleared it up. It just makes me sick. Atleast we have friends on the other boards looking out for us!

Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.

Wow, Sarah Elizabeth has some very strong feelings. And it is certainly her right to express them

Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. Yes you are, everything you type from this statement on SCREAM homophobia.

I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. Children's place? Because I missed the OP, (maybe on a differnt board) I am thinking that you mean WDW? Soory toots, but WDW is an adult place too. Have you ever been there? Ever seen the thousands of adults with no children enjoying themselves?

I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Personal choice again, you don't have to look.

Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. Wait, I am uncomfortable at church, revivals, and all things religious. I wouldn't dare expose a child to any of that!

I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. Well good for you, missy. I wouldn't swap spit with anyone in a public place either, but lots of others do. Guess what, I don't have to watch.

I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.

Sweetie, you need to re read everything you wrote. Substitute black in many of your phrases and see how it sounds. Gays shouldn't be proud of who they are? Then neither should anyone else. I feel badly for your friend whom you say can't tell his friends or family about his life. And I feel badly for you that you try to impose your views on others in the name of being Christian. I am personnaly offended by it.

Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.

Judge not leat ye be judged.

Many other words in your bible to think about

Wow these people make me sick! A gay couple should have the same rights as a straight couple. How can some people be so stupid? What do people think they are protecting marriage from? Over half of all married people get divorced. BTW Sarah Elizabeth you are homophobic and in MOPO people like you are what is wrong with this world. Honey people like you promote hate! I understand what you are saying, I understand that you are a homophobic person who thinks that gays should hide in the closet! maybe you don't go around making a production of your rights because you have them. I prey that my children never grow up thinking like you! BTW I am a married woman, my best friend is gay and I would never ask her to hide who she is from my kids or the world. I also find it very hard to believe that you never show your boyfriend affection when you are in public.

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display.

I stopped reading your post at this point because you surely have forgotten why Walt Disney chose to build Disneyland and started the plans for WDW. Both locations were to be places for FAMILIES, not just CHILDREN, and if one does not let the younger generations develope thier own ideas and identities, then the problems of the past will never go away!

PJ

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form.....

I must be a horrible mother. I began explaining homosexuality to my ds10 when he got off the bus in 1st grade and wanted to know what a f** was, because "so-and-so" had been called one. It was actually quite easy for him, even at such a young age, to understand the concept that sometimes men love men or women love women just like Mommy and Daddy love each other, and really didn't see it as a big deal at all. In fact, a few years later we saw two men at the grocery store holding hands. Ds said, "They're gay, right?" "I think so, honey." "They love each other, right?" "Yep." "Oh, OK." No muss, no fuss, no harm, no foul. Now, I'm not a big fan of extreme PDA's, but why oh why is it harmful for a child to see a hug or a kiss as an expression of affection between two people--any two people? It is offensive and sad to me that so many turn this into an Us (staight) vs. Them (gay) issue.

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.

As a member of the DIS, this post really got my ire up. Not sure why you would want to post this thought on the gay/lesbian board to begin with but whether we like it or not, you are entitled to your opinion.

Nevertheless, I think your post should stay exactly as it is just to show everyone what some people are like out there. We all have to remind ourselves sometimes that, although we do live in a more enlightened age, there are still folks out there with abject hatred and disgust.

Thanks for reminding me that I, we, have a lot more work ahead of us. Because it's posts like yours that will continue to instill the intense desire to fight back against the small minded and biased.

We all need a wake up call from time to time.

What if women had just blended in and got along? We would not have the vote, or the right to hold property, we would not have the right to divorce agianst the wishes of our family, or husband. In Canada, we would not even be seen as "persons" under the laws of the land. Blending in has never gotten anything that is wrong changed.

Sticking our heads in the sand, like an ostrich, is the laziest and most pathatic thing we could do as members of society.

While I am not "gay", I have many friends who are, and I hate that they can not enjoy the same basic, societial rights as others. What have they done to hurt anyone else around them? We as a society only take away rights for punishment, why this from loving couples who are committed to one another.

PJ

I'm always amazed that it the very people who enjoy the rights of marriage, and all the legal rights that go with it, consider it "super-rights" if they apply to same-sex couples. Do they consider them "super-rights" when they apply to hetero couples?

I suspect "Sarah Elizabeth" is a troll, here to incite defensive responses, perhaps as a shill from an extreme right-wing organization. "She" has only 5 posts. Equally likely, she's a long-time poster choosing a different name so as not to be associated with "her" own homophobic remarks, which are not worth responding to anyway (IMHO). I believe "she" is violating the terms of service in either event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter