Does Disney Still Not Allow Same Sex Unions?

ECurto said:
Well here is proff of what we all face everyday.

"joeyrulesall says:

I read all the new posts not by section , just by clicking new posts. I dont
care what he does privatley im just sickened that he has to pick a childrens
theme park to marry a man. I believe in protecting children from sick things ,
not stirring!"

Atleast the mods over on the wedding board cleared it up. It just makes me sick. Atleast we have friends on the other boards looking out for us!

It's sad that a small minded person like this has all the "right" in the world to get married, but a man who has been committed to his partner of 7 years doesn't. :sad2:

Mama Twinkles said:
I suspect "Sarah Elizabeth" is a troll, here to incite defensive responses, perhaps as a shill from an extreme right-wing organization. "She" has only 5 posts. Equally likely, she's a long-time poster choosing a different name so as not to be associated with "her" own homophobic remarks, which are not worth responding to anyway (IMHO). I believe "she" is violating the terms of service in either event.
Please people! A little bit of investigation uncovers the conspiracy. :idea:

Sarah Elizabeth is joeyrulesall's girlfriend (they reference each other in their small number of messages on the list). They both joined in August 2005 prior to their trip on Aug. 22nd-28th. I don't know enough about the typical behavior of a troll to know whether one would hold onto two accounts for six months just to flame (including making up a story about a trip), but I'm guessing it's a case of coordinated effort in terms of posting. A little disingenious on the part of Sarah Elizabeth to not state that the poster on the other thread is allegedly her boyfriend.

However, this is all strictly guesswork. :confused3: I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!

Ah, a trolie a deux. Ratio of mentions of heterosexual orientation to number of messages is quite high. This calls for some compassion.

SeattleRedBear said:
However, this is all strictly guesswork. :confused3: I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!

LOL!!! Well, I'm going to need step by step instructions from the Master (bow, bow) to sort any of it out!

SeattleRedBear said:

Sarah Elizabeth is joeyrulesall's girlfriend (they reference each other in their small number of messages on the list). They both joined in August 2005 prior to their trip on Aug. 22nd-28th. I don't know enough about the typical behavior of a troll to know whether one would hold onto two accounts for six months just to flame (including making up a story about a trip), but I'm guessing it's a case of coordinated effort in terms of posting. A little disingenious on the part of Sarah Elizabeth to not state that the poster on the other thread is allegedly her boyfriend.

Very good, detective. :banana: Joe is my boyfriend, and we actually have arguments over this because of our differing opinions on homosexuality. I don't see it as altogether wrong, so my reply in his defense was strictly in the context I stated; on marriage in Disneyworld and nothing more. :rolleyes2

SeattleRedBear said:

Yes, very good guesswork but, don't you think that instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend this is the same person. Considering that both identies have an extremely limited number of posts :confused3
I actually ran into the so called Joey on the weddings board, the thread that was erased when he made the comments about gay marriage in a children's park. I still think this is one person looking for trouble :stir: :stir:
I think its best to ignore

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.

This is not usually a topic I would comment on, and while everyone has the right to give their opinions, I just feel this is so harshly written. WDW is not a children's park exclusively. Walt Disney created an atmosphere for every person to give in to the fantasy of a make believe world. A world where fun abounds and memories are forever engraved on the heart. You make these memories with those you love. Expressing your emotional connection with your special someone is natural when you are in Never Land. I love holding hands with my DH, kissing him tenderly and sharing the magic of WDW with him. Maybe you find it repulsive to see others sharing affection with each other, but this is our special time, our planned for vacation and we are making memories. According to you, I am showing my sexual preference when I do. I find this offensive, so I can only imagine how the OP feels. I am a woman, married to a man and have a DD who I hope grows up to be affectionate and loving. We all need more magical moments in our lives, and it doesn't mean we have to agree with or condone other peoples choices. I prefer sweet red wine, DH likes Irish Cream Liquer. There is too much controversy in the world, so being at WDW is a chance to escape all that and just enjoy yourself. If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, change your view, WDW is a big place.

sajetto said:
Yes, very good guesswork but, don't you think that instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend this is the same person. Considering that both identies have an extremely limited number of posts :confused3
I actually ran into the so called Joey on the weddings board, the thread that was erased when he made the comments about gay marriage in a children's park. I still think this is one person looking for trouble :stir: :stir:
I agree this is also a possibility. I have never moderated a forum nor know the patterns that give evidence to a troll. Because there are (unfortunately) so many people in this world (and on these boards) who actually hold those views, it is hard for me to say whether it is one malicious person or several sincere individuals. In any case, my response would most likely be the same. I think the fact that the response in this forum was (and will continue to be) supportive means that if it's someone whose sole purpose is to "bait" us, it will only happen occasionally and will die down pretty quickly.

Hey guys, we can't all agree with everyone on the topic of gay marriage, let alone where such an event would be appropriate. Let's not get into a "troll" or "not a troll" conversation ok?

RickinNYC said:
Hey guys, we can't all agree with everyone on the topic of gay marriage, let alone where such an event would be appropriate. Let's not get into a "troll" or "not a troll" conversation ok?

can I just interupt the debate here and say how cute you and your partner look in your avatar??? :blush:

that's all...

RickinNYC said:
I'm happy with that. As i mentioned previously, it's really the mod's responsibility and i pretty much take everything at face value unless proven otherwise. last i'll say.

MomofMNM: Thanks for that nice compliment! Made my day!

SeattleRedBear: Sent you a PM.

sajetto said:

How paranoid. We've been together two years and live together. It's funny you think we're the same person when we have such different views. Thanks for giving us a laugh :rotfl:

They used to have a little "vow renewal" ceremony at the Garden Grill and I heard they stopped doing it b/c people complained about same sex couples doing the ceremony. I think that's sad.

And it irks me to no end when people say "but WDW is for the children" :rolleyes: WDW is for EVERYONE- young, old, gay, straight, white, black, purple whoever!

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be.

I don't think that's the way it should be- I think thats sad. People shouldn't have to hide who they want to be with, life's to short to live like that.

pjpoohbear said:
I stopped reading your post at this point because you surely have forgotten why Walt Disney chose to build Disneyland and started the plans for WDW. Both locations were to be places for FAMILIES, not just CHILDREN, and if one does not let the younger generations develope thier own ideas and identities, then the problems of the past will never go away!

PJ

Yes. I couldn't believe it either. Children largely mirror what they learn at home. If they learn intolerance, then that is what they are going to be when they grow up. Childhood is the best time to teach tolerance and acceptance. Children by nature are actually very compassionate and understanding. It's we adults who teach them to be narrow and judgemental.

It is funny because some of my gay friends have been part of my life so long we just move together seamlessly and I don't even think about how it might appear to someone coming new to the scene. I had my best gay guy pal, Uncle T over when DS was a little tike. Uncle T had been out of town for a while on assignment, so the last time DS had seen him was as an infant. DS had a funny look on his face. Then I realized my DS thought Uncle T was going to take me away from Daddy - i.e who's this new guy in my mom's life?!? I had to explain to him that no, Mommy wasn't going to run away with Uncle T and leave Daddy and all that. Once DS was cool wilth the fact that Uncle wasn't taking Mommy away from Daddy :rotfl: then all the rest of it was a non-issue. Uncle T and DS are good buddies now, and Uncle T of course dotes on DS :teeth: Children can learn the distinction of gay vs. straight and they are really okay with it. :thumbsup2

Disney is a place for all to enjoy. Also, the Gay and Lesbian community has some of the largest per capita dollars to spend on recreation and leisure, in general. It would be very foolish to exclude this group from any travel service, Disney or otherwise.

Sarah_Elizabeth said:
How paranoid. We've been together two years and live together. It's funny you think we're the same person when we have such different views. Thanks for giving us a laugh :rotfl:

Oh here we go again. Glad to see Sarah took time away from the clan to come back and post. :rotfl2:

ECurto said:
Its a shame that people on both side of the situation (gay and religious/government) cant just come to an agreement on this topic. I personally don’t get why gay people insist on "marriage". Marriage is religious, and i think should be between a man and women.
Okay, I know you don't want a debate, and that's not my intention, but I do disagree with you here.
Marriage is NOT religious, it's civil. Sure, a wedding/marriage ceremony can be religious, but in order to get married you need a government-issued marriage license.
As long as terms like "a marriage of ideas" or "a marriage of flavors" remain in use, marriage simply can NOT be 'restricted' to people of opposite genders.

Sarah Elizabeth said:
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way,
That's a relief - because I don't understand why anybody would be afraid of homosexuals/homosexuality :)
Sarah Elizabeth said:
What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display.
Disney isn't JUST a childrens place, and few, if any, weddings take place in full view of children or the public.
Sarah Elizabeth said:
I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade.
By appearing in public with your boyfriend and living with him you are, however subtly, 'showing off' your sexual preference. I don't know for sure, but I think gay people who do feel the need to advocate for gay pride or march in parades do so to make public the need for EQUAL treatment. If the Sufragettes didn't do that on behalf of women a century ago, we'd all still be second-class citizens with few rights, unable to even vote.

Came to this post because we are meeting one of my best friends at WDW and she just happens to be a lesbian (just broke up with her longtime love...looking to CHEER her up). Anyway, since I live in Florida and feel that it's laws are horribly discriminating...I have to voice my opinion.

I was not surprised to learn that WDW does not allow same sex unions. Not surprised but terribly dissapointed. What a shame and a bit two faced. They offer gay days but won't go the extra step and allow people to express their love in a more formal way.

And as for the posts saying that people should not "announce" their sexuality...well don't heterosexual couples do this every day. I don't think twicce about kissing my husband, holding hands, talking about him at work, etc. Why should anyone? Love is meant to be expressed.

My daughter and I were in line at a local bagel shop and two women in front of us started to kiss. It was nothing more or less than a man and women would do. My daughter (age 7) asked why two girls were kissing and I told her that they loved each other like moms and dads love each other. She said "oh...now I get it!" It was so simple and sweet.

lookingforward said:
Came to this post because we are meeting one of my best friends at WDW and she just happens to be a lesbian (just broke up with her longtime love...looking to CHEER her up). Anyway, since I live in Florida and feel that it's laws are horribly discriminating...I have to voice my opinion.

I was not surprised to learn that WDW does not allow same sex unions. Not surprised but terribly dissapointed. What a shame and a bit two faced. They offer gay days but won't go the extra step and allow people to express their love in a more formal way.

And as for the posts saying that people should not "announce" their sexuality...well don't heterosexual couples do this every day. I don't think twicce about kissing my husband, holding hands, talking about him at work, etc. Why should anyone? Love is meant to be expressed.

My daughter and I were in line at a local bagel shop and two women in front of us started to kiss. It was nothing more or less than a man and women would do. My daughter (age 7) asked why two girls were kissing and I told her that they loved each other like moms and dads love each other. She said "oh...now I get it!" It was so simple and sweet.

Actually, from what I understand, WDW did send out a CM memo (someone can correct me if I'm wrong but a CM friend told me about this) stating that they would soon allow commitment ceremonies. So that's the good news! Fingers crossed!

A couple of years back, my partner and I were looking to do something and were in the planning process. So I called WDW and did speak with a few different folks at Disney about allowing same sex ceremonies (non-religious, not legally binding) on their premises and I was told by one and all that it wasn't possible. From what I was told, this was because FL state law did not allow it so Disney had to abide by it. Made sense to me because Disney, the corporation, has been extremely accomodating and protective of it's gay/lesbian guests and cast members.

By the by, Disney does not sanction Gay Days. It's an independent effort started by one gentleman many years ago that has grown over time. Disney's only stance on this is, when someone complains, that WDW is for guests and families of all types.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter