"Does this ride have drops?" March 2015 TR *NEW* 1/17 COMPLETE - Final Thoughts

I feel like this TR has been going on forever! But DH finally (FINALLY!) finished editing all of the photos, so I am getting them uploaded and working on typing up the rest of our last day so that I can hopefully finish this thing up soon. We have already been on two trips to WDW since them with another coming up in just 5 weeks!! Now I get to start bugging DH to work on October pics so I can get that TR rolling, and maybe just add our Thanksgiving TR onto that one since it was pretty short. I'm not used to being SO far behind on TRs! Working 5 days a week and adding a second kid into the mix has definitely cut into my TR time. lol But thanks to those of you who are sticking with me!!

Day 6 Continued: Friday March 6th

Next up, we took a spin on the teacups at the Mad Tea Party. DS was becoming somewhat of a thrill seeker on this ride, a little more each time we tried it out!

DL 07-042
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 07-037

DL 07-038

DL 07-039

DL 07-040

DL 07-041
by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

Coming off of Mad Tea Party, we spotted Peter Pan playing with some kids over by Dumbo. With a little prodding, we decided to go over to meet him, and I’m glad we did. It turned out to be a really fun meet! One of the boys in the group of kids playing with him had his arm in a sling and then wrapped around him to keep it close to his body. We overheard Peter ask him, “Hey, where’s your other arm? Are you sure you’re not a pirate?” So funny!!

Soon enough, DS was going up to talk to him, and Peter Pan invited him to come to Neverland and be one of the Lost Boys.

DL 07-043

DL 07-044
Clearly, he was having a blast!

DL 07-045

DL 07-048
Peter asked DS what his favorite animal was, and DS answered monkeys, so Peter said that would be his Lost Boy name and asked him to do a monkey impression with him.

DL 07-049

DL 07-050

DL 07-051

I love seeing him interact with the characters! I really wish he wouldn’t have been so hesitant about it this trip. But I was definitely glad I hadn’t made him an autograph book like I had been thinking of doing, because he didn’t come anywhere near the number of characters we usually meet on a trip!

Since we were right there, we decided to go on Dumbo. This time there were no stowaways to keep DH from getting in the elephant in front of ours and taking our picture.

DL 07-052

DL 07-053

DL 07-054
Pure joy on DS’s face!

DL 07-056
View from up top!
Next we decided to hop onto the Carousel for a spin.

DL 07-057

DL 07-058
I don’t know if it was just the early opening or what, but Fantasyland was the emptiest we had experienced all week that morning, and it was fantastic! We were able to walk on to all of our favorites.

We decided to split up quickly because DH wanted to go ride Haunted Mansion. I will say, I am now regretting not taking the time to go ride it myself, but I just never got around to it. DS absolutely didn’t want to ride, so while DH went to HM, I took DS on the Casey Jr. train and Small World. Since I only had my iPhone camera, I only took this one pic of our adventures.

DL 07-058-1
How did we have time to do all that while DH was riding Haunted Mansion? Oh yeah, because he went on it twice in a row! So here’s a lot (A LOT) of Haunted Mansion pics!

First up, round one…

DL 07-059
Fighting the crowds to get there, lol

DL 07-061

Maybe I’m partial because I’m obsessed with plantation homes, but I think this is the best façade for HM of the three I have seen (DL, WDW, and DL Paris).

Continued in next post...

Then the Mansion sucked him back in for round two.

DL 07-077

DL 07-078

DL 07-079

DL 07-080

DL 07-081

Is this haunted room actually stretching?

After our respective rides, we were ready for a little adventure. DS and I found DH and went over to Adventureland to ride the Jungle Cruise! Apparently DH’s interest in taking pictures of everything had waned by this point, so we were halfway through the ride before he started taking any pictures!

DL 07-105

DL 07-106

DL 07-107

DL 07-108

DL 07-109

DL 07-110

DL 07-111

DL 07-112

DL 07-113

After our two week jungle excursion, we were feeling a little cartoonish, so we made our way over to Toontown. Goofy was wandering around just inside the entrance, so we took some photos with him first.

DL 07-114

DL 07-116

DL 07-119

DS was pretty well obsessed with all of the stationary cars they had parked around Toontown, so he wanted to hop in all of them to have his picture taken. I hope this is not setting him up for a future of entering cars that do not belong to him out in the real world, but in Toontown, it’s all good.

DL 07-120

DL 07-121

DL 07-122
I was so sad when I had first heard the news years ago that they were getting rid of Toontown at WDW to make way for the Fantasyland expansion, but one look at this photo makes me realize the Toontown that existed in Florida was pretty pitiful.

DL 07-123

I’ll take Disneyland’s version any day over the WDW one!!

We had met Mickey now on two separate trips and explored his house, but we had never visited Minnie at her house because the line had always been too long. But it wasn’t too long, so we decided to head on inside.

DL 07-124

DL 07-125

DL 07-126

DL 07-128

DL 07-129

DL 07-130

We got all the way through the house to where Minnie meets outside at a little tea party setup and DS refused to meet her! DH and I took a picture with her trying to convince DS to join in, but apparently we just let the Photopass photographer take it without giving him one of our cameras? So no pics with Minnie after all of that. I was pretty disappointed in DS. I think he was just back to his, “I’m only going to do what I want to do” attitude. Clearly he wasn’t scared, we had just met Goofy!

Anyway, we went towards Roger Rabbit to ride that next, and DS first wanted to pretend to be in the jail cell.

DL 07-131

And then we saw Pluto, and wouldn’t you know, DS was all too happy to take a picture with him.

DL 07-134

DL 07-135

DL 07-137

DL 07-139

DL 07-140

DL 07-141

After playing around with the gimmicks, we got in line for Roger Rabbit.

DL 07-142

Some inspiration for a Disney personalized license plate in the queue!

DL 07-143

DL 07-144

DL 07-145

DL 07-146

DL 07-147

DL 07-148

DL 07-149

DL 07-150

DL 07-151

When we came out of the ride, Pluto was still playing around back by the RR queue, and one of the cutest moments of the trip happened when he and DS started playing together and trying to pick up the fake barbell on the ground. Unfortunately, DH tried to get some pictures of this, but his camera was still set for the darkness of the ride, so they didn’t come out at all and were unsalvageable.

DS asked to play in Goofy’s Playhouse, so we let him burn off a little energy in there, although it’s more for kids younger than him by now.

DL 07-152

DL 07-153

DL 07-154

DL 07-155
Chip & Dale’s Treehouse

DL 07-156
Despite the failed meet with Minnie, we thought visiting some more characters might be fun and we had seen plenty out in Town Square so we thought that might be something fun to do next. But our feet were tired, and we definitely didn't feel like crisscrossing the park yet again. Good thing there is a Railroad station right there in Toontown!

UP NEXT: Prehistoric Fun

We spent waaaaaaaay too long going from bathroom to bathroom looking for one with a hand dryer to dry off his undies with absolutely no luck whatsoever.
Note to self: pack extra underwear for Izzy at Disneyland!

Very frustrating to just feel like we were walking around wasting time.
:headache:

DL 06-216
And my heaven on a plate!
Yum!!!

We decided to go through the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough. This was something DH and I had done together when we went on our anniversary trip, but it was new to DS.
Can't wait to check this out myself!

She and I ended up playing a fun little game of giving her maps which she would toss to the side and hold out her hand for another one. Her mom would be picking them up behind her back and handing them back to me so it was like she had an endless supply of maps coming her way! :rotfl:
Cute! :rotfl:

22942759334_8306a12090_c.jpg
Great empty-park castle shots!

I'm not used to being SO far behind on TRs! Working 5 days a week and adding a second kid into the mix has definitely cut into my TR time.
No worries, I have trouble keeping up with my own (and others) as it is - and I don't even have the second kid (but do have the whole 5 days a week w/o DISing at work thing...)

Maybe I’m partial because I’m obsessed with plantation homes, but I think this is the best façade for HM of the three I have seen (DL, WDW, and DL Paris).
Can't wait to try this one out soon!

DS was pretty well obsessed with all of the stationary cars they had parked around Toontown, so he wanted to hop in all of them to have his picture taken. I hope this is not setting him up for a future of entering cars that do not belong to him out in the real world, but in Toontown, it’s all good.
:rotfl:

I’ll take Disneyland’s version any day over the WDW one!!
I remember the DL one (10 years ago) - it was SO much better than the WDW one (that I faintly remember).

Cute pic!

Good thing there is a Railroad station right there in Toontown!
And that's one thing that will be closed during our trip. :sad1: That's okay, though - plenty more to do.

I'm glad to hear Fantasmic! was worth the wait and always fun to see something that you kids get so excited about. Great photos of the show as well!

The really does get to be a sea of humanity after those shows!

That is cool that you got there so early and got in to get those empty street pictures (less cool that you forgot your water bottle though). Your pictures really illustrate how the castle there (at least to me) is more like the entrance to Fantasyland/storybook land then a destination/weenie like Cinderella's castle is at WDW.

Glad you got on Alice this time and your pictures are bumming me out we never got on it - just line was always too long! (and it broke down a few times while we were there too). We did get on the Canal Boats and it was really cute - love the details!

haha - darn that work and those kids getting in the way of trip reporting!!!! Don't they understand what is really important in life?!?!?! ;)

(says the guy who went almost 2 weeks in between TR updates mind you)

That was wonderful interaction with Peter Pan, such a great experience and setting. I love how during that (and on a lot of rides) you can just see the joy on you son's face.

Funny how it might be what style of house you like - or even what you grew up with - that drives which of the HM's styles you like. I know a lot of the old mansions up in the New York area have that gothic architecture which is one reason I am partial to WDW's facade.

The toon town at DLR is really a lot nicer than what they had at WDW - definitely think if they had to get rid of one, the WDW was the one to go. There are so many things there for the kids to climb in and around. With meeting Goofy and then Pluto but not wanting to meet Mnnie definitely seems like he wanted to exert some control and not just go along with everything. Bummer about no photos with Minnie though

You guys hit up all the great preschool rides this morning! And what a fun meet with Peter Pan!

I'm sorry you missed out on riding HM! We haven't ridden HM at WDW in 2 trips because Nate flat out refuses to ride anything he deems "scary". I hope I can squeeze in a ride in May!

Toontown looks like so much fun. Lots to explore and places to play! I'm sorry DS backed out on meeting Minnie...and then flip flopped for Goofy and Pluto!

And that seems to be at least your 3rd or 4th spin on Roger Rabbit this trip, right? Has DS seen the movie? It's been so long since I have seen it that I can't even remember if it's preschool/kindergarten appropriate.

Note to self: pack extra underwear for Izzy at Disneyland!

This is something I too often forget to do now that he almost never has accidents! I learned my lesson though, and made sure to have something with us the rest of that trip and for our October trip. It's not even just potty accidents to worry about, but what if he spills a cup of water in his lap or something? I definitely need to be better about that!!

Can't wait to check this out myself!

It's really cute and such a fun little addition to the Castle! I really wish WDW had something like it.

Great empty-park castle shots!

Thanks!

No worries, I have trouble keeping up with my own (and others) as it is - and I don't even have the second kid (but do have the whole 5 days a week w/o DISing at work thing...)

Sometimes at work I can DIS on my phone (while pumping! lol) but that's about it. And at night I'm just so exhausted! Definitely can't DIS like I used to!!

I remember the DL one (10 years ago) - it was SO much better than the WDW one (that I faintly remember).

Absolutely! I thought WDW's Toontown was so great until visiting DL's for the first time!

And that's one thing that will be closed during our trip. :sad1: That's okay, though - plenty more to do.

Bummer! We encountered SO many things that were closed, and it really does stink when it's somewhere you go less often.

I'm glad to hear Fantasmic! was worth the wait and always fun to see something that you kids get so excited about. Great photos of the show as well!

The really does get to be a sea of humanity after those shows!

Fantasmic has made it onto our must-do list for the foreseeable future thanks to DS's love of that show! It ended up being worth the wait, though at the time I was really cursing the show. lol

That is cool that you got there so early and got in to get those empty street pictures (less cool that you forgot your water bottle though). Your pictures really illustrate how the castle there (at least to me) is more like the entrance to Fantasyland/storybook land then a destination/weenie like Cinderella's castle is at WDW.

I totally agree about the castle. Not being able to see it as well from the opposite end of the street makes it remarkably less of a "weenie" than Cinderella Castle, but you definitely get that grand entrance feel.

Glad you got on Alice this time and your pictures are bumming me out we never got on it - just line was always too long! (and it broke down a few times while we were there too). We did get on the Canal Boats and it was really cute - love the details!

It's a lot like Peter Pan in the slow loader/low capacity elements. If we wouldn't have gotten on first thing in the morning that day, we probably would have missed out too. It was all timing and good luck!

haha - darn that work and those kids getting in the way of trip reporting!!!! Don't they understand what is really important in life?!?!?! ;)

Right?! At least now DD can entertain herself a little more so I can at least get some catch-up time in on the weekends!

That was wonderful interaction with Peter Pan, such a great experience and setting. I love how during that (and on a lot of rides) you can just see the joy on you son's face.

Although he was frustrating at times, he definitely still felt the magic of Disney on that trip and had such a great time!

Funny how it might be what style of house you like - or even what you grew up with - that drives which of the HM's styles you like. I know a lot of the old mansions up in the New York area have that gothic architecture which is one reason I am partial to WDW's facade.

Interesting! I do enjoy the fact that in Disney, there is no "standard" creepy house. Each style is so different, yet you can still feel that haunted element in the themeing. They do a really great job of that!

The toon town at DLR is really a lot nicer than what they had at WDW - definitely think if they had to get rid of one, the WDW was the one to go. There are so many things there for the kids to climb in and around. With meeting Goofy and then Pluto but not wanting to meet Mnnie definitely seems like he wanted to exert some control and not just go along with everything. Bummer about no photos with Minnie though

Absolutely yes! They seem to have put in way more time on themeing Toontown at DL compared to WDW, where it just looked slapped together.

He definitely wanted to have control, and he showed that a few times on our recent WDW trips. But with LOTS of talking about how he's not the only one who gets to do what he wants, he is starting to cool it now. I hate to say it, but he is probably just spoiled to going so many times! I don't know what we did about Minnie?? Maybe we just let Photopass take them thinking DS could be convinced to join and then just didn't worry about getting one on any of our cameras?

You guys hit up all the great preschool rides this morning! And what a fun meet with Peter Pan!

It was a really fun morning! And I was glad he decided to meet Peter. I could much easier drag him onto rides when he protested, but there was just no sense in forcing him to meet characters when the experience would be terrible and the pictures even worse. The Peter meet was really great and he actually had fun!

I'm sorry you missed out on riding HM! We haven't ridden HM at WDW in 2 trips because Nate flat out refuses to ride anything he deems "scary". I hope I can squeeze in a ride in May!

I haven't ridden it in years! Usually DH goes off to ride by himself, but I don't typically end up taking the time to do so. But I'm a little overdue, so hopefully with more people going with us in February, DS will either agree to ride or I can ride with some other people while he sits out.

And that seems to be at least your 3rd or 4th spin on Roger Rabbit this trip, right? Has DS seen the movie? It's been so long since I have seen it that I can't even remember if it's preschool/kindergarten appropriate.

I lost count, but probably so!! He really loved it. He hasn't seen the movie, but I turned it on TV within the last few years, and it really is not a great movie for kids. lol My parents let me watch so much growing up that now I'm like What the heck were they thinking?!

I don't usually update this close together but since I have the rest of the day finished in Word, I want to keep it rolling! So if you haven't checked this report in awhile, there are some recent updates up-thread. :)

Once we had finished up around Toontown, we decided to take the train from there to Main Street, intending to see which characters were out and about in Town Square to meet.

DL 07-157

DL 07-160
This ended up being a great decision, because the Grand Canyon & dinosaur scenes were uncovered! So it was a nice little surprise for all of us, but especially for DS who was over the moon when he saw them.

The combination of two of his favorite things, trains and dinosaurs, had DS just bursting with excitement! And when we pulled into the Main Street station, Town Square was looking just perfect.

DL 07-174

DL 07-175
And a wide shot…

DL 07-180
…or two
We didn’t hurry down just yet, we spent a few minutes looking around the station.

DL 07-182

DL 07-183

While the plan had been to meet characters, the horse drawn streetcar was just about to depart for the Castle. In every one of our Disney trips, both World and Land, we have NEVER been on a Main Street vehicle! So this seemed like a perfect idea.

DL 07-184

DL 07-185
We enjoyed our ride up to the Castle, just taking in the sights and sounds of Main Street. It was truly a perfect little moment to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Although there were times we felt like we were just wandering around with no idea of what to do because we felt like we had done every attraction more than once, it’s moments like this that made me appreciate the fact that we had spent a full 5 days in the parks. We got to enjoy a lot of things in WDW that we normally wouldn’t spend the time on because there is always so much else to do!

Once we got to the Castle, we had to exit the streetcar because you can’t go on a full loop. So we talked about what to do and decided to maybe go grab an early lunch at Village Haus. But before we could get very far, we heard some music heading our way and stopped to watch the Disneyland Band! It was an adorable performance of classic Disney music led by Mickey, and a bunch of Disney friends who came out to dance along with the music and interact with the guests watching in a circle.

Towards the end of the performance, the rest of the characters ran off, leaving only Mickey & the band. Mickey stood proudly as they played Walt’s speech from the Disneyland dedication:

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

DL 07-199

DL 07-200

Not gonna lie, it was really emotional for me! Lots of things were in those days being pregnant, but seriously…standing in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and seeing Walt’s vision, hearing his words, and experiencing them along with Mickey and the Disneyland band…It gives me chills now just thinking about it! Definitely one of the highlight moments of the trip for me!

The performance moved on further up Main Street, but we decided to continue on through the castle towards our lunch destination. However, as we passed through the Castle, DS wanted to check out the walkthrough again, so we did that first.

DL 07-201

DL 07-202

DL 07-203

DL 07-204

DL 07-205

DL 07-206

The Evil Queen was out greeting behind the castle, but she was a little too intimidating for DS so we just took a pic of her.

DL 07-207

We walked over to Village Haus and had a quick lunch, then we had one more thing we wanted to do before leaving the park for a nap. See Mickey and the Magical Map! Because we were there during such a slow time, this was another one of those things, along with some of the nighttime entertainment, that could only be seen pretty much on weekends. We hadn’t made time for it the previous Sunday, and being our last day, it was our only chance. So we headed over to the theater right after lunch and had to wait a little bit before being let into the theater. DS entertained himself with leaves to add to his collection.

DL 07-208

DL 07-209
Soon enough we were let into the theater and the show began shortly after that. The show centers on apprentice Mickey accidentally entering Yen Sid’s map that controls dreams. It launches into several musical numbers from across the Disney movie spectrum, all while Mickey tries to control the animated paint splat that moves around the map. It reminded me quite a bit of PhilharMagic.

DL 07-210

DL 07-211

DL 07-212

DL 07-213

DL 07-214

DL 07-215

DL 07-217 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 07-218

DL 07-220

DL 07-221

DL 07-222

DL 07-225

DL 07-227

DL 07-228

DL 07-230

DL 07-231

DL 07-232

DL 07-233

DL 07-234

DL 07-237 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 07-239

DL 07-241

DL 07-243

It was a really fun, awesome show that all three of us really enjoyed! Once it was over, we were ready to head back to the room for a break. On the way out, we spotted Aladdin, Jasmine, and Genie walking around.

DL 07-244

DL 07-245
We got to the bus around 1 and were back in the room shortly after. DS and I took a nap in the bedroom while DH packed up some of our stuff in the living room. I forgot to mention (because I don’t really remember when it started) but by the end of our trip I was feeling pretty miserable. I had gotten a cold/sinus thing a couple weeks before the trip, but it had thankfully cleared up before we left. Being pregnant, there wasn’t much I could take in the way of congestion relief, so I was pretty well miserable the whole time I was sick. I could take Claritin D, but that was only useful in the daytime as the pseudoephedrine in it would keep me awake at night, so I had a hard time sleeping without being able to breathe. Fast forward to our trip, and about halfway through I started feeling the same symptoms! I could barely breathe through my nose at night, so it was really hard to get any rest. And although I was feeling so tired during the day from getting up early and walking through the parks, taking the medicine during the day kept me from really getting any rest during naptime either. But it was nice to lay down. The other big problem was that with all of the congestion one of my ears was totally blocked up. It was like walking through the parks with my hand over my ear and everything sounded really muffled. It was not fun! And this particular day, I’d just about had it with the congestion and the stopped up ear, so while I laid there I googled ways to get relief for my ear, but couldn’t find anything that seemed like it would actually help. So it was a pretty restless naptime for me, but DS slept well. However, he wasn’t really happy at 3 when we woke him up so that we could get back to the park for the afternoon parade!

UP NEXT: It's Soundsational!

Love the pics of DS with Peter Pan, sounds like such great interaction!

I agree, the facade of HM in DL is so beautiful!

Love the pics with Goofy & Pluto. Though I'm sorry DS wouldn't cooperate when it came to Minnie :(

The Disneyland Band pictures are wonderful! One of the things I wish we had time to see but never got to.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well. I know all too well how yucky it is to be sick of vacation, so I can't imagine being sick and not being able to take anything to provide you some relief :(

Happy to see more updates! Your TR has me dreaming of another trip to DL. My sister and I are doing a girls trip to WDW in March but I have to say, I really love DL just as much. The dioramas you see on the train ride are so cool! I've never seen the Disneyland band - I can see how the band along with Walt's words would be very emotional. Sorry you weren't feeling well. Hope you were able to find some relief!

Sounds like a wonderful time - just taking in some of the sights. I think you are right that having a full 5 days there let you do that more ... I feel like we didn't get enough of that in with only having 3 park days (though high crowds didn't help either).

Glad you enjoyed the show too - looks really fun!

Bummer about being sick - especially with not having many options for what you can take. While a day sick at Disney is better than most other days it still kinds sinks feeling like you aren't at 100% while in the park

I love how the characters are just wandering around. A great part of the fun of Disneyland! Hopefully we can get a few interactions while we're out there.

Looks like Jungle Cruise will be another thing closed while we're out there - along with Soarin and Splash Mountain, and GRR, and all the Tom Sawyer stuff.

Now I get to start bugging DH to work on October pics so I can get that TR rolling, and maybe just add our Thanksgiving TR onto that one since it was pretty short. I'm not used to being SO far behind on TRs! Working 5 days a week and adding a second kid into the mix has definitely cut into my TR time. lol But thanks to those of you who are sticking with me!!
I can totally understand. Although I really want to see the next TR's, especially the Thanksgiving trip!

Clearly, he was having a blast!
::yes::

How did we have time to do all that while DH was riding Haunted Mansion? Oh yeah, because he went on it twice in a row! So here’s a lot (A LOT) of Haunted Mansion pics!
He did a great job too!

After our respective rides, we were ready for a little adventure. DS and I found DH and went over to Adventureland to ride the Jungle Cruise! Apparently DH’s interest in taking pictures of everything had waned by this point, so we were halfway through the ride before he started taking any pictures!
I can't blame him. Sometimes you just have to appreciate the puns.

I hope this is not setting him up for a future of entering cars that do not belong to him out in the real world, but in Toontown, it’s all good.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I was so sad when I had first heard the news years ago that they were getting rid of Toontown at WDW to make way for the Fantasyland expansion, but one look at this photo makes me realize the Toontown that existed in Florida was pretty pitiful.
Good point. I was never as impressed by the WDW version as this one.

When we came out of the ride, Pluto was still playing around back by the RR queue, and one of the cutest moments of the trip happened when he and DS started playing together and trying to pick up the fake barbell on the ground. Unfortunately, DH tried to get some pictures of this, but his camera was still set for the darkness of the ride, so they didn’t come out at all and were unsalvageable.
Sounds like a fun interaction, but I'm sorry the pictures didn't come out.

This ended up being a great decision, because the Grand Canyon & dinosaur scenes were uncovered! So it was a nice little surprise for all of us, but especially for DS who was over the moon when he saw them.
Cool! I'm glad he finally got to see it!

Not gonna lie, it was really emotional for me! Lots of things were in those days being pregnant, but seriously…standing in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and seeing Walt’s vision, hearing his words, and experiencing them along with Mickey and the Disneyland band…It gives me chills now just thinking about it! Definitely one of the highlight moments of the trip for me!
That looks like a really cool show to get to experience. I'm glad that you stumbled on this one.

It reminded me quite a bit of PhilharMagic.
::yes:: It definitely does.

It was a really fun, awesome show that all three of us really enjoyed! Once it was over, we were ready to head back to the room for a break. On the way out, we spotted Aladdin, Jasmine, and Genie walking around.
I really love seeing the characters randomly out and about like that.

I'm really sorry that you weren't feeling well. That can really put a damper on things.

Love the pics of DS with Peter Pan, sounds like such great interaction!

I agree, the facade of HM in DL is so beautiful!

Love the pics with Goofy & Pluto. Though I'm sorry DS wouldn't cooperate when it came to Minnie :(

The Disneyland Band pictures are wonderful! One of the things I wish we had time to see but never got to.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well. I know all too well how yucky it is to be sick of vacation, so I can't imagine being sick and not being able to take anything to provide you some relief :(

Since we didn't have many character meets this trip, the Peter Pan one was particularly memorable. So fun!

Not sure what he had against Minnie, but I'm glad we caught it at a time when there was no wait since she usually posted a wait of 20+ minutes when we would check it out.

I didn't know about the DL band performances, but it was wonderful to stumble upon. Great for fans of Disney in general, not just the parks!

The worst part was definitely that I wasn't really able to take anything. It probably wouldn't have been so bad had I been able to take cold & sinus medications like I normally would. At least it wasn't the whole week long, but the second half of the trip it really kicked my butt!

Happy to see more updates! Your TR has me dreaming of another trip to DL. My sister and I are doing a girls trip to WDW in March but I have to say, I really love DL just as much. The dioramas you see on the train ride are so cool! I've never seen the Disneyland band - I can see how the band along with Walt's words would be very emotional. Sorry you weren't feeling well. Hope you were able to find some relief!

Man, this TR has ME dreaming of my next DL trip!! lol I miss it so much already. I guess because I know trips there will be few and far between. I love DL so much too! Prior to my first trip, I didn't expect to get so hooked on DL considering how much I already loved and felt "loyal" to WDW.

The DL Band was a great performance to just kind of run into. I'm so glad we stopped to watch! It was really fantastic.

Sounds like a wonderful time - just taking in some of the sights. I think you are right that having a full 5 days there let you do that more ... I feel like we didn't get enough of that in with only having 3 park days (though high crowds didn't help either).

Glad you enjoyed the show too - looks really fun!

Bummer about being sick - especially with not having many options for what you can take. While a day sick at Disney is better than most other days it still kinds sinks feeling like you aren't at 100% while in the park

At times, I started thinking 5 days was too much, but then when we would have time to do those "stop and smell the roses" activities, I knew it was worth the extra time. 4 days is probably the sweet spot. We have been lucky to go and experience low crowds, but I can definitely see how bigger than expected crowds would make it difficult to do a lot in a shorter trip.

The show was fantastic! Probably one of the best daytime stage performances I have seen in any of the Disney parks!

I totally agree, I'd rather be sick in Disney than stuck at home. But it's a lot easier to manage when I can take some cold & sinus meds and get decent sleep! That was probably the worst part, not really being able to take any medication to give around the clock relief.

I love how the characters are just wandering around. A great part of the fun of Disneyland! Hopefully we can get a few interactions while we're out there.

Looks like Jungle Cruise will be another thing closed while we're out there - along with Soarin and Splash Mountain, and GRR, and all the Tom Sawyer stuff.

I definitely enjoyed that aspect of Disneyland, even though DS didn't want much to do with the characters this time around. It was still fun to see them walking around without handlers like they are just "citizens" of the parks.

I feel you on all the closures. They came out with a HUGE list of them right before our trip and it was such a bummer! It stinks to go somewhere you don't get to go frequently and have so much of it unavailable.

I can totally understand. Although I really want to see the next TR's, especially the Thanksgiving trip!

::yes::

He did a great job too!

I can't blame him. Sometimes you just have to appreciate the puns.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Good point. I was never as impressed by the WDW version as this one.

Sounds like a fun interaction, but I'm sorry the pictures didn't come out.

Cool! I'm glad he finally got to see it!

That looks like a really cool show to get to experience. I'm glad that you stumbled on this one.

::yes:: It definitely does.

I really love seeing the characters randomly out and about like that.

I'm really sorry that you weren't feeling well. That can really put a damper on things.

I've been working on the first few posts of October, so I'm hopeful I can actually start that one this week! Hopefully it won't take me forever to get to the Thanksgiving trip too.

He loves working on perfecting those dark ride photos, so I know he will appreciate that!

It was really cute seeing him play around with Pluto! At least I have these TRs to look back on and remind me of those moments even though the pictures didn't come out.

I was so glad he got to see the dinosaurs. Ever since I had read about them on the boards, I had been kicking myself for not taking him on the railroad on his first trip to see them! It was a great surprise for him!

I loved that you could find characters roaming around for impromptu meets without lines and handlers. I just wish DS would have been more interested in meeting them. There was one morning Mad Hatter was hanging out with a guest relations CM at their kiosk in Fantasyland with no one bothering him!

Yeah, being sick in Disney is never fun, but not being able to get relief with medicines made it especially tough that particular time.

Is this a scene you ride by on the train? So cool!

It sounds like a really magical time riding up Main Street and then catching the band and Mickey. I think I would have gotten teary listening to that speech with Mickey standing right there!

Mickey and the Magical Map seems like such a great show - so many characters!

Is this a scene you ride by on the train? So cool!

It sounds like a really magical time riding up Main Street and then catching the band and Mickey. I think I would have gotten teary listening to that speech with Mickey standing right there!

Mickey and the Magical Map seems like such a great show - so many characters!

Yes! It's really cool, and something I had no idea existed until reading about it in a TR! I was really excited to surprise DS with it because he had no idea the dinosaurs were coming!!

It was a perfectly quintessential Disney moment. I couldn't have imagined anything better for our final day in the parks!

Although this TR is not quite done, I have gotten the rest of it typed up so it's just a matter of copy & pasting the rest in as I have time. And we're so close to the end anyway! So in case you are interested, I started the TR for our weeklong October 2015 trip including Universal & Disney with lots of Halloween fun mixed in! I sure do hope you'll follow along with our adventure in taking 2 kids to Disney for the first time, including an infant!

upload_2016-1-8_15-42-50.png

It's really great that you got this shot of the railroad map since it'll likely be removed and replaced by a new one after the train is rerouted. Did you know that this map lights up to show the position of each train that is online? If you're willing to watch it for a few minutes, you can see the trains move around the park. You can see the lights in the day if you look closely, but they're much easier to see at night. I didn't know about the lights in the map until we were lucky enough to get to ride the Lilly Belle and our guide told us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter