Doing laundry: should I not hold my breath?

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
How hard is it typically to get into the w/d rooms to get laundry done? Anyone have good strategies for beating a crowd? Since we're at WDW for 9 days, we're only packing for 5 and hoping to do laundry 1/2 way through.

Suggestions???

Denice T.
Olathe, KS

Where are you staying, that will make a difference to the crowds. Other than that I can't offer any advice.

I've only used laundry facilities at BWV. I've used them mostly in the mornings (7AM?) and have not ever had any competition, or company. I've been doing this in October and December, a couple of loads each time.

Bobbi

I've never had many issues with doing laundy either. Well except for the poor girl that didnt know how to wash clothes AT ALL!!:rotfl: I helped her out and everything was right with the world!

I've found BWV to be the busiest and I've done laundry at SSR (lots of washers n dryers and locations) BCV (only 2 washers and 4 dryers) but these people must send their laundry out) and VWL. I couldnt find OKW's:confused3 :goodvibes

The few times we stayed in a studio, I got up very early like 6AM to do laundry. I usually got most of it dried before others started showing up. SSR at the main pool has the best laundry room (larger than others). But the spa people show up and use the washers and dryers all the time, too, for towels and robes and stuff.

With BCV, BWV, and VWL, the strategy is early in the morning.
Did not have to use any strategy at SSR.

I've done laundry at SSR, VWL and OKW- the only time I have had to wait for a machine was t OKW- I was doing laundry on a Saturday afternoon in late August, the machines were full when I got there, but the women using the machine said they would let me know when one was available.... and they did!
At OKW and SSR it was nice to lounge in the pool, relax, have lunch etc while the laundry was going.
At VWL, I did laundry in the evening, and was the only one in there the whole time... it's less convenient to go back and forth to the pool there, but it was a chilly night, and we were in our room watching tv, I just ran down when I knew it was time to change machines.

We have done laundry while enjoying a relaxing time at the pool at SSR, OKW and BCV. Maybe because it was mid morning and early afternoon we never had a problem with having to wait for a machine. Last year at OKW I got a kick out of the couple who sat in the laundry room near the SP pool the whole time the laundry was in the machines. It seemed such a waste of a lovely evening to sit inside when you could sit just outside the door and guard the laundry just as well. Maybe they just didn't want to hear the noise from the 4 people who were enjoying the pool.

Good to know. We will need to laudry as well in April. We usually don't stay in a studio so we haven't had to do this yet. Just so I can be sure to have enough quarters, how much do the machines at SSR cost??

:laundy:

I have done laundry at Animal Kingdom Lodge, WIlderness Lodge, and Beach Club - During Easter week (very busy time)
I didn't have any problems at night - maybe one other person doing laundry.
I tried doing laundry during the day at Wilderness Lodge and it was a little busier - but still not bad.
Well worth not packing big suitcases. But bring your own detergent - it was expensive to keep buying little boxes for each load - plus fabric softner.

If you are staying at a DVC Resort, there is no charge for the laundry. You may need your room ID to get into the laundry room, though.

YoMickey said:
I have done laundry at Animal Kingdom Lodge,
DVC Resorts have much smaller laundry rooms than the non-DVC resorts since the larger villas have a washer and dryer right in the villa.

Good to know. We will need to laudry as well in April. We usually don't stay in a studio so we haven't had to do this yet. Just so I can be sure to have enough quarters, how much do the machines at SSR cost??

:laundy:

The machines are free- they look like they take quarters but you just push the mechansim in and they start. You will need to bring or buy detergent which is avaiable in the laundry rooms - about a dollar a load I think. I usually pack a few dryer sheets in a zip lock bag and bring them from home. You can also do that with dry detergent.

We did laundry at VB during the day and SSR during the evening with no problems. It is a nice perk to have free washers and dryers.

Thanks for the feedback, gang! We're having a lazy day 1/2 way through our trip so between that and the willingness to get up early (I would LOVE to see the sunrise VWL), I think I'll be fine!

BTW, where is the best place to watch the sunrise at VWL??

Denice T.
Olathe, KS

Thanks for the feedback, gang! We're having a lazy day 1/2 way through our trip so between that and the willingness to get up early (I would LOVE to see the sunrise VWL), I think I'll be fine!

BTW, where is the best place to watch the sunrise at VWL??
Denice T.
Olathe, KS

Anywhere along the beach will be great.

I never had a problem with the laudry facilities being full (did laundry at BWV, OKW, VWL, DCL). Unfortunately, I always seem to do laundry on vacation.

I have found that getting up early there usually is no one there. And it's better for me too.:sad2:

Have done laundry at OKW, VWL (where someone even took out and folded my clothes -- they must have been bored. lots of open washers and dryers), BWV (down by Muscles and Bustles, read a book at the pool), and BCV. Waited at BCV for someone in a 2 br who didn't want the noise in her room (GRR at the time, but maybe they had really light sleepers). Can you tell DH and I stay in studios a lot? LOL :laundy:

Doing laundry at BWV between lunch time and dinner not a problem. Waiting until dinner time or after its always been crowded!

I think this is the only time I can put -----> :laundy: this in my post <G>

The machines are free- they look like they take quarters but you just push the mechansim in and they start. You will need to bring or buy detergent which is avaiable in the laundry rooms - about a dollar a load I think. I usually pack a few dryer sheets in a zip lock bag and bring them from home. You can also do that with dry detergent.

Thanks for the info, I usually pack a small container of detergent and a ziplock with dryer sheets when we are in a 1 or 2 bedroom, I will be sure to do the same now too. On that note, be sure the dryer sheets are kept seperate from anything you may eat. I once packed a storage bin with some snacks, dry goods, detergent and fabric softener (we were driving) and all the food tasted like bounce. Good on clothes, bad on food!! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter