Door latch / deadbolt

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by Drewmama, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Drewmama

Drewmama Mouseketeer

Is it true that they removed or will be removing the latches/deadbolts from the rooms? If they have, I'm not completely confident in just the electronic door lock, especially in the middle of the night.

2. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

That would be ridiculous. Where did you hear/read that? It's not going to happen.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. DisneyRegulars

DisneyRegulars DIS Veteran

Ours were still there this trip.

5. Drewmama

Drewmama Mouseketeer

I'll need to do a search to see where I read it and get back to you.

6. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Hope not! When I am in a hotel room, always use the extra precautions of door latches and deadbolts. Would not want to be in the shower or come out of a shower knowing there is staff or anyone else in room.:eek:

Drewmama likes this.
  7. Drewmama

Drewmama Mouseketeer

I tried to search but couldn't find anything so maybe I misunderstood whatever it was I read. It does sound ridiculous so I was trying to find out more information.

8. CarolMN

Don't spend a lot of time looking - if this were true, it would be all over the internet with pages and pages of outraged posts. :teeth:

9. dclpluto

dclpluto DIS Veteran

There will be a lot of staff seeing guests naked if that happens. I’m sure disney housekeepers see guests naked from time to time. But if this happens it will be almost everyday.

10. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

I would be surprised if they do, and if it is legal to do so. As a landlord, by law I have to put a deadbolt on my all the entry doors that can only be operated from the inside (no exterior key) because there were a couple reports of abusive landlords walking in on a tenant.

11. s.r.disney nut

s.r.disney nut Mouseketeer

Couldn't help it!

dclpluto likes this.
  12. Pumbaa_

Pumbaa_ >Hakuna Matata!< Moderator

It was a fb post from someone who stayed at the poly. The door latch was partially removed.

Sounds more like bad maintenance vs new policy. This was in response to a guest that had housekeeping enter while she was in the shower. She came out and her trash was empty. She hadn't used the latch as her husband went to the food court

The person commenting indicated she had no latch.

Drewmama likes this.
  13. MakiraMarlena

MakiraMarlena It's a big black fish to you

There is no official indication at all that WDW intends to remove the latches and/or deadbolts from the resort doors.

jerseygal likes this.
  14. Chuck S

Hence, a reminder to always close your blinds, especially with a park or water view...LOL

15. D-Trick

D-Trick Mouseketeer

I just completed a stay at BWV (2bedroom) and there were not any deadbolt locks on either of the doors. Only the swing latches.

16. Chuck S

I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual deadbolt on a Disney room, there is the swing latch and the twist latch (sort of a deadbolt, kind of) that is part of the regular door lock, like almost all hotels use.

17. apple9117

apple9117 Mouseketeer

Pretty sure the newer refurbished rooms just have the swing latches. I don't remember the last time I saw a dead bolt.

18. CarolMN

That's all they've ever had, at least that I've noticed. IMHO, those are better than the chains.

The rest of the door latch has been as Chuck S described.

19. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I think that when there was a discussion about the latches being removed, it was saying that if needed, a CM is able to remove the latch. Not that the latches are being removed from all doors! If there were to be a situation where a CM had to get into a room due to a guest being ill or such, they have a device that will remove the latch. But in every day operations, not an issue.

Hopefully likes this.
  20. DenLo

DenLo DIS Veteran

To me if you have to manually turn the latch bolt to apply the bolt then it is better than a regular latch. That is what most if not all of the DVC resorts at WDW have. And it is even better if it doesn't open when you turn the handle to exit. I get frustrated with the BLT latch because it doesn't open automatically but that is a more secure latch bolt.

21. jscottnc

jscottnc Not so new DVC Member!

I have just returned from a stay at BCV. The door to my villa had the swinging latch. However, there was a groove in the door that lines up with the swinging latch. I expect that Disney Housekeeping and/or Security has a shim that fits the groove and can defeat the swinging latch. [Insert rant about response to abuse of 2nd amendment rights being curtailing 4th amendment rights.] Can't really blaim Disney; they are doing what's necessary to protect the bottom line, uh, guests.

mab2012 likes this.