Door latch / deadbolt

I have just returned from a stay at BCV. The door to my villa had the swinging latch. However, there was a groove in the door that lines up with the swinging latch. I expect that Disney Housekeeping and/or Security has a shim that fits the groove and can defeat the swinging latch. [Insert rant about response to abuse of 2nd amendment rights being curtailing 4th amendment rights.] Can't really blaim Disney; they are doing what's necessary to protect the bottom line, uh, guests.

I wasn't aware Disney was the government.

I wasn't aware Disney was the government.
Yes, quite right to bust my chops on this. We have only an expectation of privacy but no actual Constitutional Privacy Rights in this case. My rant should have explicitly excluded Disney (implicit in the next line).

Yes, quite right to bust my chops on this. We have only an expectation of privacy but no actual Constitutional Privacy Rights in this case. My rant should have explicitly excluded Disney (implicit in the next line).

I think you missed the point. The bill of rights protects you from abuses by the government. You arguably do have an implied constitutional right to privacy - from the government. (I really wish we taught Civics, so much of our public discourse is based on people not understanding what rights are actually protected).

With Disney, they own the property you stay in. You have no right to keep them from entering their property.

I think you missed the point. The bill of rights protects you from abuses by the government. You arguably do have an implied constitutional right to privacy - from the government. (I really wish we taught Civics, so much of our public discourse is based on people not understanding what rights are actually protected).

With Disney, they own the property you stay in. You have no right to keep them from entering their property.

Yes, I agree with all that. I thought I made that clear with "no actual Constitutional Privacy Rights in this case". This case being "renting a room from a landlord". Hmm, I am actually a "owner" in that I have a deeded interest in DVC. I am sure somewhere in my contract I have given Disney unfettered access. (Now I want to review my contract.)

I am old enough to have taken Civics in high school. I cop to the sloppiness in my first post implying that Disney was violating my 4th Amendment rights (a bit hyperbolic to get a point across). It SHOULD have been a general rant of our privacy (not constitutional, merely general practice) being eroded because of abuses of other, arguably constitutional, rights by some.

My point, which may have gotten lost, is that we are ALL subjected to increased security checks because of a few.

I have just returned from a stay at BCV. The door to my villa had the swinging latch. However, there was a groove in the door that lines up with the swinging latch. I expect that Disney Housekeeping and/or Security has a shim that fits the groove and can defeat the swinging latch. [Insert rant about response to abuse of 2nd amendment rights being curtailing 4th amendment rights.] Can't really blaim Disney; they are doing what's necessary to protect the bottom line, uh, guests.

The gap is unnecessary to release it. Once the lock mechanism is released, the door will open slightly allowing the tool to engage the latch. Then the door can be re-closed and the tool will pop it off.

That swing latch is NOT high-tech security.

The gap is unnecessary to release it. Once the lock mechanism is released, the door will open slightly allowing the tool to engage the latch. Then the door can be re-closed and the tool will pop it off.

That swing latch is NOT high-tech security.

Interesting. I wonder why the door was marred. Once I knew what I was looking for, I saw the same channel on all the other villa doors I passed.

Perhaps they were marred from the swing latch itself, as housekeeping (and even guests if they are just going out for a minute) will swing the latch to keep the door ajar instead of closing.

Perhaps they were marred from the swing latch itself, as housekeeping (and even guests if they are just going out for a minute) will swing the latch to keep the door ajar instead of closing.
I am sorry I did not take a photo of this. There is an intentional groove cut into the door edge at the level of the swing latch. It did not appear to be wear damage and all the villa doors I passed had this same uniform groove. I suppose this is less unsightly than the damage left behind by removing the swing latch.

There is no official indication at all that WDW intends to remove the latches and/or deadbolts from the resort doors.
Lets HOPE NOT! I always use the door latch and deadbolt when I am in the room. Never can be too sure:eek:. Would not want to come out of the shower, only to find someone in the room. :(:rolleyes:

Bottom line is that Disney and any hotel/motel operator can override door locks if they want or need to enter a room. Many of the hotel/motel operators are now doing daily room checks due to liability reasons.

:earsboy: Bill

And I doubt within a year you'll find a hotel without similar daily check policies.

Hilton (Hilton, Hampton Inn, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria, Double Tree, Embassy Suites) has the policy. Intercontinental (Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza. Candlewood Suites) has the policy.

And I doubt within a year you'll find a hotel without similar daily check policies.

Hilton (Hilton, Hampton Inn, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria, Double Tree, Embassy Suites) has the policy. Intercontinental (Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza. Candlewood Suites) has the policy.

It doesn't sound like it's quite the same policy though. I believe they will respect the sign on the door and not knock until there's been a 24 plus hour point that the room has not been checked Quite different from Disney that says they'll knock and enter even with the sign on the door - ie, no matter when the last check was.

It doesn't sound like it's quite the same policy though. I believe they will respect the sign on the door and not knock until there's been a 24 plus hour point that the room has not been checked Quite different from Disney that says they'll knock and enter even with the sign on the door - ie, no matter when the last check was.
Correct. Each business will have their own version of the policy and their own way of implementing it. How they do that can be of a great difference to a potential guest.

I'm sure there is a policy against using such devices. If it is a real emergency, someone sick, or someone passed away, how do you expect them to get into the room? And that is exactly the kind of device someone meaning to do harm would use.

Except this gets fuzzy in the case of DVC, because it's a timeshare. Disney retains ownership of the property, but the members hold a long term lease. It's not "just a hotel room". Presumably that confers certain rights around how and when the owner can access the property. Or at least it would on a "normal" full-time lease agreement where I live.

Admittedly I don't know the specific legalities around timeshares in Florida, but I can't help thinking there must be *some* expectation of privacy on a leased property.

Frankly, even in the hotel room situation I'd be slightly shocked if there are no laws protecting an occupant from immediate staff intrusion at any time, for no cause whatsoever. But again, I don't really know. I wish I did.

Except this gets fuzzy in the case of DVC, because it's a timeshare. Disney retains ownership of the property, but the members hold a long term lease. It's not "just a hotel room". Presumably that confers certain rights around how and when the owner can access the property. Or at least it would on a "normal" full-time lease agreement where I live.

Admittedly I don't know the specific legalities around timeshares in Florida, but I can't help thinking there must be *some* expectation of privacy on a leased property.

Frankly, even in the hotel room situation I'd be slightly shocked if there are no laws protecting an occupant from immediate staff intrusion at any time, for no cause whatsoever. But again, I don't really know. I wish I did.

Actually, it isn't all that fuzzy. You own part of a lease. The property is leased to DVC by Disney. It is a Right-To-Use lease giving you the right to use it under the terms and conditions set forth by DVC. DVC resort management is contracted to Disney Resorts, who can change rules at basically anytime as our voting is handled by a single representative selected by DVC. The exception is, the Membership can vote for the resort to leave the DVC network and Disney management, which of course would basically make the property an "off-site" timeshare, and the members of that resort would lose their ability to trade to other DVC resorts and and Disney perks and discounts.

And some expectation of privacy is legally handled by knock, wait, knock again, enter while announcing. In the case of a room where the swing latch is engaged, by the time they enter the room, you should be able to have yourself covered.

Actually, it isn't all that fuzzy. You own part of a lease. The property is leased to DVC by Disney. It is a Right-To-Use lease giving you the right to use it under the terms and conditions set forth by DVC. DVC resort management is contracted to Disney Resorts, who can change rules at basically anytime as our voting is handled by a single representative selected by DVC. The exception is, the Membership can vote for the resort to leave the DVC network and Disney management, which of course would basically make the property an "off-site" timeshare, and the members of that resort would lose their ability to trade to other DVC resorts and and Disney perks and discounts.

I'm aware of all that. What I don't know is what specific laws govern rights of a timeshare owner (or leasee) in Florida. I know they exist. I don't know what they say.

Disney can't just "do whatever they want". They must comply with local law. They can put whatever clauses they want in the membership agreement, but if those clauses contravene the law, they are not enforceable.

I'm not saying that laws governing access to a unit exist. I'm saying that in my opinion, they ought to, and if they don't, that surprises me.

And some expectation of privacy is legally handled by knock, wait, knock again, enter while announcing. In the case of a room where the swing latch is engaged, by the time they enter the room, you should be able to have yourself covered.

Do you have a reference for this? (And no, that's not meant to be a challenge. I'm genuinely curious.)

There is case law to that effect, but I don't have a cite. For landlords - which is what DVC is to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter