• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dopey 2015 Official Thread

You have now idea how bad that makes me feel right now. I had been looking forward to that at least as much as to receiving the medals, but I never saw you. :( Obviously, you are a much faster runner than I am and were way ahead of me...

Bummer. :( We'll dress bigger and move back more corrals next time.

Day 1) Tuesday - Woke up at 5am, left house at 6:30 and arrived at airport at 7am for 9am flight. Played some mini-golf after checking in. I had to jog across the street to avoid getting hit by a bus and was encouraged to find that my leg (which had been hurting for 3 weeks) did not bother me when I ran. This was the first day of getting up early and being on my feet WAY too much!

Day 2) Full MK day. At the gates at 8am and left a few minutes before the end of Wishes. I had to buy the $12 box of Nyquil at the hotel gift shop to have any hope of sleeping. I developed a cold/bad sinus infection on Monday and barely slept Monday and Tuesday night. The drugs worked and was able to get a decent amount of sleep Wednesday night.

Day 3) 5k Day! Woke up at 4 to catch bus by 5. I was very happy that I had thrown in some long sleeve shirts and running tights, but I really wish I had my good cold gear shirts. Before the race, we were able to squeeze into the unused massage tent which was heated, but very crowded! It made waiting for a race to start much easier! I was assigned corral C, but moved back to D to run with my brother. I ended up wearing a trash bag for the first mile or so of the race and then immediately regretted throwing it out. We took it very slow and finished in about 43 minutes. The calf muscle that had been giving me problems started to hurt a little by the end of the race. We spent the rest of the day at AK, and then took a bus over to Epcot to find something for dinner. We were too indecisive and just ended up eating back at the hotel. I tried to be in bed by 8, but I think it was closer to 9.

Day 4) 10k! Woke up at 3 to catch the bus by 4. I wore the running tights again, but decided to go with a tshirt and arm sleeves this time. I was able to get into the massage tent again to stay warm, and this time stayed there until almost the last minute. When the race started, my calf started to hurt almost immediately, so I took it slow and walked as much as I could. My normal running pace is around 10:30/11 min/mile, but my goal was to stay under 14. I finished in 1:26. I grabbed a mylar blanket on the way to the bus and was back to the hotel by 8am. Had breakfast at Kona at 10am and then spent the rest of the day at MK. We left around 6 and had dinner at the hotel. In bed by 8:30.

Day 5) Half Marathon! I woke up at 3 to catch the bus by 4 again. My planned outfit for the day had been shorts and a RawThreads tank, but I knew I would be way too cold. I opted for the tights again, and put on a long sleeved shirt under my tank. I thought I would be too hot, but it ended up working well. I kept the mylar blanket from the day before and wore that as well. I got to the bus stop at 4 and the line was SUPER long. I think I waited 15-20 mins for a bus and then the bus sat in traffic forever. I got to the starting area and jumped right into a bathroom line. The race started as I was still walking to my corral, but I was able to get into K just fine. I was happy that I didn't have to wait too long until my corral started. Same as the day before, I decided to try to maintain a 14 min pace by walking as much as possible. Towards the end of the race, I had sudden bursts of energy and periods where my leg didn't hurt, so I would run a lot more. I think the pain in my feet at this point was so bad that it masked any other pain I may have felt. This is where I started to regret all of the park days. My official time was 3:09. That would make it the 3rd straight day of personal worsts for me! :rotfl: Got back to the hotel around 10 and then spent the rest of the day at HS with a dinner break at Via Napoli where I proceeded to eat 5/8 of the pizza my brother and I were sharing...

Day 6) Marathon day! I decided to try to get the bus earlier today so set the alarm for 2:30. Had a little trouble actually waking up and didn't get to the bus until 3:45. The line was long again, but a little better and I was able to get on a bus faster. The traffic was even worse this day and I ended up falling asleep on the bus. The bus dropped us off at about 4:50 and I walked as fast as I could to the race retreat which I had paid for just for this day. I was told upon walking in that the tent closed at 5 :scared1: so I checked my bag and jumped right into to the photo line for the Toy Story characters. I was going for a Jesse theme with my outfit today, so I was very happy to see them in there! I had enough time to use the bathroom, then it was off to the corrals. I was running in a tank and shorts, so I grabbed a trash bag to keep warm in the corral. I tried to sit down until the corral started moving up since my feet were already killing me. I was able to maintain a 14 minute pace for most of the race (excluding the miles where I made bathroom stops), but towards the end my feet hurt so bad that I just couldn't walk fast enough. I had to run a little more each mile to keep the pace and eventually stopped caring. As we entered HS, I realized that it hurt just as much to walk as it did to run, so I just ran. I ran through all of HS and to the Boardwalk before I started to get out of breath. The cold I had in the beginning of the week and turned to chest congestion and breathing was hard sometimes! I powered through Epcot and smiled at the photographers and people who shouted encouragement, but for the most part I just had tunnel vision. I forgot about grabbing a drink to cross the finish line with, and I forgot to take a picture of the finish line or with Mickey. I just wanted to cross the line and be done! My official time was 6:18, which is actually a PR by about 10 minutes. Before I got to FL, I had really wanted to finish under 6 hours (I am capable of finishing in 5:20 really), but I am happy with just finishing!

After collecting my medals, I immediately went to the race retreat for real food. This is the reason I pay for the tent. I had a plateful of eggs, some sausage, a muffin, and a coke. There were also sandwiches and pasta that I did not try. After eating, I went outside to get a picture with Dopey. When I got to the end of the very long line, I was told the line was closed :confused: The woman told me I could get a picture with Daisy instead. A lot of expletives went through my mind, but I think I just stared at her like this :eek: and walked over to Goofy. Keep in mind that the race was not even over yet. I got my picture with Goofy and walked past the Dopey line to see that more people had gotten in. I asked what was going on and was told that everyone behind the lady with the sign (who first told me the line was closed) could get in line but was not guaranteed a photo. Fine, I will take my chances. The line went really slow as people were taking multiple photos and dancing around with Dopey. Apparently, all of the characters had to be done by 2pm, and it was now 1:50. A woman in front me was very outspoken about this and complained to the handlers. They eventually got the line moving faster and I got my photo before the line closed. However, I do not see it on Marathonfoto :headache:. I do have a photo with my iPhone, but it's not very good. Mission accomplished, I finally got on the bus and made it back to the hotel by 2:30. I showered and put my feet up for a few minutes then headed to Downtown Disney for shopping and dinner. The post-race party wasn't very exciting, but there was a truck selling left over merchandise.

Day 7) Slept in a little (until 7 WOW). Spent day at HS and Epcot. Attempted to DATW, but bowed out after 2 strong drinks and rain.

Day 8) Got up early to head to Universal. The new Diagon Alley section of Harry Potter is phenomenal. SO much better than the original Hogsmeade section IMO. There was just more to explore and see there. I never really cared for the rest of the Universal (IoA included) so likely won't be back soon.

Day 9) Home! Got home around 9:30 and basically just dropped my bags and went to bed. Work the next day and back to reality!

All said and done it was a great trip. Touring the parks definitely made racing more difficult, but I would not have done it differently. I will probably avoid marathon weekend for a while and try other races. I don't want to do Dopey again, but I know if I go and only do 1 or 2 of the races, I will be extremely jealous of everyone in their Dopey gear! I think Princess may be my next RunDisney event :thumbsup2

-The 5K race is incredibly packed coming from Corral D. It was kind of fun trying to run it quickly, but led to such decisions as, "Yes, running behind the water table looks like a good idea."

Yes it was! We ended up walking a lot more than planned because we could walk just as fast as we were forced to jog in some places. I could actually walk faster than most of the runners, but I couldn't get around them!

-Still reconciling how I managed to traverse 48.6 miles + and still come home without much of a calorie deficit. Too much good food. Special recognition to Boatwright's in Port Orleans Riverside and Marrakesh in Epcot.

:rotfl2: I gained 6lbs on this trip, which is typical. It's always 6lbs! :confused3

Yes it was! We ended up walking a lot more than planned because we could walk just as fast as we were forced to jog in some places. I could actually walk faster than most of the runners, but I couldn't get around them!

I got lucky/nearly froze to death and was at the front of the Corral; I wanted to try for a PR and forgot just how congested the race was last year. The first half mile was great, but I had caught the Corral C walkers before entering Epcot and it became congested pretty quickly. It was strange looking back after about 500 yards and seeing just a few people had broken free and the rest of the corral was a huge mass with virtually no way through. I managed to finish in 26:38 and probably looked like a maniac while doing so.

-Still reconciling how I managed to traverse 48.6 miles + and still come home without much of a calorie deficit. Too much good food. Special recognition to Boatwright's in Port Orleans Riverside and Marrakesh in Epcot.

We are runners, so we get it. We burn about 100 calories/mile run. 50 miles = 5,000 calories. I could eat that in a single meal at Boatwright's (love everything there ::yes::).

Folks who don't run think that running means that you can eat whatever you want. I wish. :rotfl:

Got confirmation from my orthopedist today. I ran the entire Dopey with a stress fracture in the top of my right foot. No wonder my time sucked so bad and I was in lots of pain for most of the marathon. Guess I'll take it easier next time. Now I'm in a padded post op shoe for a month. Then just one week until my next half. Fort Worth, Texas Cowtown Half is March 1st.

Got confirmation from my orthopedist today. I ran the entire Dopey with a stress fracture in the top of my right foot. No wonder my time sucked so bad and I was in lots of pain for most of the marathon. Guess I'll take it easier next time. Now I'm in a padded post op shoe for a month. Then just one week until my next half. Fort Worth, Texas Cowtown Half is March 1st.

Sorry to hear about the foot. Take this for what it's worth, but don't rush it, even if it means skipping a race. I fractured my ankle and rushed back into running too fast. I dealt with all kinds of compensating injuries (plantar faciititis, IT band, shin splints) because I wasn't back to my completely normal stride and foot strike.

Just got home from WDW. Finished my first Dopey Challenge......:cool1:
Here are a few recounts over my weekend...

1). My costume worked well for the first time I tried to run with it (I probably should have practiced using it once or twice before the 5K!!!) I was dressed as a prisoner carrying a ball and chain(no not the wife as many spectators yelled out:rotfl2:). The chain which was attached to my ankle nearly tripped me twice in the 5k... Moved the chain up to my hip for the next 3 races. I got a lot of encouragement from the spectators and from the volunteers. The water stops got a good laugh as I ran through..:rotfl2:

2.) I found driving to the park for the 5k and sitting in my car to stay warm worked well... Rookie mistake #1: Don't be so fast getting out of your car and getting to the starting line... YES, I forgot where I parked the car:confused3.. It took an extra 20 minutes at the end of the race in wet running clothes running up and down the lanes in the parking lot looking for the car

3.) I drove to the half marathon and traffic was bad... 45 minutes of driving which I could have been sleeping on the bus. Took the bus for the marathon and was a more relaxing trip..

4.) SLEEP is where I need to make my improvement for next year. I think I got 1-2 hours of sleep every night. I just could shut my brain off:scared1:..The night before the marathon, I got a suite at Old Key West to get a good night sleep.. Got to bed at 8pm and things were going well... At 10:00 pm the children in the room next to me came home from the park... The next 3 1/2 hours they just ran around in their room like elephants.. I know ...This is Disney and children is the name of the game. A few pillows over my head worked well.. The only thing I kept thinking of was these parents next door are thinking let the kids tire themselves out and we can sleep later tomorrow morning... Boy do I have a surprise for them tomorrow morning at 5:30 am (FIREWORKS):laughing:

5.) My marathon was my easiest run. The first 3 races in long pant and 2-3 long sleeve shirts just slow me down. The marathon weather was perfect.. short pant and short shirt.. My nutrition and hydration was perfected:cool1: It so much easier running in shorts...

6.)GOALS ACCOMPLISHED: All 48.6 miles in my costume.. Stopped at almost every character for pictures.. All 4 races done in 7 hours 5 minutes( a PR for me, however this was my first Dopey challenge so of course it is a PR).. Got my pic on Run disney facebook ...I had a great time:thumbsup2 Already talking to a friend to go with me next year (in costume).. SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR

Some of the costumes that people wore were amazing. Very creative.
Did anyone else see the juggler running the marathon? I saw him after I left WWoS and was turning up the street and he was just entering WWoS. I don't know how you do something like that.

I can juggle. I can run.
I don't think I can do both for 26.2 miles!!

Some of the costumes that people wore were amazing. Very creative. Did anyone else see the juggler running the marathon? I saw him after I left WWoS and was turning up the street and he was just entering WWoS. I don't know how you do something like that. I can juggle. I can run. I don't think I can do both for 26.2 miles!!
How did he use the water stations or take in fluids I wonder?

I saw the juggler during the half and he wasn't juggling nonstop. :)

Since we both live in Miami I've run a bunch of races where Doctor Dribble also ran and dribbled two basketballs at the same time and even though I'm certain he's done some races dribbling nonstop I wonder how strict he is as far as the dribbling goes.I know he did Dopey last year and it just has to be insane to dribble all the way for those four races.He also ran a half down here where construction forced us to run for about a mile on the sand right on South Beach,the sand was hard packed for the most part but there were areas that dribbling just wasn't possible.I ran behind him in another part of the race on a boardwalk and I know he dribbled the whole way but he must have stopped on the sand.

Just got home from WDW. Finished my first Dopey Challenge......:cool1: Here are a few recounts over my weekend... 1). My costume worked well for the first time I tried to run with it (I probably should have practiced using it once or twice before the 5K!!!) I was dressed as a prisoner carrying a ball and chain(no not the wife as many spectators yelled out:rotfl2:). The chain which was attached to my ankle nearly tripped me twice in the 5k... Moved the chain up to my hip for the next 3 races. I got a lot of encouragement from the spectators and from the volunteers. The water stops got a good laugh as I ran through..:rotfl2: 2.) I found driving to the park for the 5k and sitting in my car to stay warm worked well... Rookie mistake #1: Don't be so fast getting out of your car and getting to the starting line... YES, I forgot where I parked the car:confused3.. It took an extra 20 minutes at the end of the race in wet running clothes running up and down the lanes in the parking lot looking for the car 3.) I drove to the half marathon and traffic was bad... 45 minutes of driving which I could have been sleeping on the bus. Took the bus for the marathon and was a more relaxing trip.. 4.) SLEEP is where I need to make my improvement for next year. I think I got 1-2 hours of sleep every night. I just could shut my brain off:scared1:..The night before the marathon, I got a suite at Old Key West to get a good night sleep.. Got to bed at 8pm and things were going well... At 10:00 pm the children in the room next to me came home from the park... The next 3 1/2 hours they just ran around in their room like elephants.. I know ...This is Disney and children is the name of the game. A few pillows over my head worked well.. The only thing I kept thinking of was these parents next door are thinking let the kids tire themselves out and we can sleep later tomorrow morning... Boy do I have a surprise for them tomorrow morning at 5:30 am (FIREWORKS):laughing: 5.) My marathon was my easiest run. The first 3 races in long pant and 2-3 long sleeve shirts just slow me down. The marathon weather was perfect.. short pant and short shirt.. My nutrition and hydration was perfected:cool1: It so much easier running in shorts... 6.)GOALS ACCOMPLISHED: All 48.6 miles in my costume.. Stopped at almost every character for pictures.. All 4 races done in 7 hours 5 minutes( a PR for me, however this was my first Dopey challenge so of course it is a PR).. Got my pic on Run disney facebook ...I had a great time:thumbsup2 Already talking to a friend to go with me next year (in costume).. SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR

Sorry you had such loud neighbors at old key west! We had a nice ground level studio near the turtle pond road bus stop and it was so quiet all week! We took melatonin 3mg each night before the races around 7 and were able to get a decent amount of sound sleep each night! I don't see myself doing Dopey again, but for sure before an early race (like disney where the wake up is in the middle of the night!!) the melatonin will be a must!!

That stinks! Good luck on your recovery!

We're doing the Cowtown as well, but just the 10k. The half and full are just too much up and down for my liking. Good luck!

Since we both live in Miami I've run a bunch of races where Doctor Dribble also ran and dribbled two basketballs at the same time and even though I'm certain he's done some races dribbling nonstop...

omg I would die if I were running near him. I would have to stop until he moved out of hearing distance.

Then again, I'm sure even with his basketballs he's still faster than I am, LOL, so I would never be near him. :)

Any other thoughts about the Challenge?
What was your favorite shirt?
Favorite medal?

Favorite character seen on the course?

Favorite medal?

My favorite part about doing Dopey was the feeling of being in a special group. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with only doing 1 or a different combination of races, but it's hard not to feel left out. I felt that way when I only did the full in 2014. I loved the reactions I got from CMs and random strangers when they found out what the Dopey Challenge was.

My least favorite part is the commitment. The time, the money, the sleepiness during the weekend, etc. This is why it will likely be a one time thing for me.

I didn't pay nearly enough attention to characters as I had planned to. My plans went out the window when I realized I was going to struggle with my pace. I was dressed as Jessie for the full and did get a pic in the race retreat of Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, and an army man :thumbsup2.

My favorite shirt is probably the marathon one because I like black. I think Mickey contrasts the best as well, especially compared to the Goofy shirt. The Dopey shirt is a close second. I love the red of the Donald shirt, but just wish you could see him better.

My favorite medal was Goofy. I chose to wear this one after the race along with my Dopey shirt (I wanted people to know I did Dopey after all ;)) The medal was more special being the 10th anniversary and I think it was more interesting than the Dopey medal.

Favorite medal?

Such an amazing experience that I MIGHT do again someday...not sure how soon. DH says he is never doing it again, lol. My big brother was jealous of all the medals and wants to do it someday. We are talking maybe 2017.

I was a little disappointed in the whole check-in after the races and pacing. DH and I didn't stop for much of anything during the 10K and 5K for fear of falling behind the 16min/mile "requirement". Come to find out that didn't really matter for the challenge as I saw people with paces well over 16 with their medals. Our corral placing was horrible for ALL races. We were way too far back and spent most of our time weaving through people in the first 3 races. I still haven't figured out Disney's corralling techniques.

LOVED all the support along the race routes! Definitely puts RunDisney at the top for support of any race I've ever done (including St. Jude Memphis).

I think the 10K Shirt was my favorite but really I just love them all. I especially love the detailing on the sleeves with which parks were involved with each race. So neat!

I did the same thing, wore my Dopey shirt with my Goofy medal because Goofy medal was my favorite!! Who doesn't like a medal that spins and weighs a ridiculous amount?!?!

Now I'm gearing up for Glass Slipper Challenge for a girls' trip! Can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter