• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dopey 2015 Official Thread

I did the same thing, wore my Dopey shirt with my Goofy medal because Goofy medal was my favorite!! Who doesn't like a medal that spins and weighs a ridiculous amount?!?!
For character photos I just wore ALL the medals :cool1:
It was fun getting character reactions. At AK, Dug licked my medals. Each one. Russell just shook his head at Dug. At DHS Dale tried to bite into my medals to be sure they were real. Chip flipped over the 1/2 medal because Donald was on it. At EP Goofy wanted to wear all of them himself. Also in Mexico at EP Fiesta Donald wanted to be sure his medal was more prominent than the others. At MK, princess interactions were fun with Cinderella and Rapunzel.

Only character I didn't have a picture with was Dopey himself. I didn't want to wait in the huge line post race.

I figured if I didn't have Dopey, I'd at least get Snow White. We were in line for Snow in Germany at EP, but the rain came and she was whisked away since she doesn't have proper cover. She just hangs out by the water well. Oh well.

My C2C will be the Pixie Dust Challenge. And I'm taking all my Dopey medals. I thought wearing 6 was difficult due to weight. But I'll have 10 to contend with. I need to do some back & neck exercises to prepare.

Oh and I forgot Baymax and Hiro were awesome. I got a blank look and nodding approval from Baymax. Hiro was impressed.

Any other thoughts about the Challenge? What was your favorite shirt? Favorite medal? Favorite character seen on the course?

Favorite shirt - the Dopey and the Mickey shirts. I hate the Goofy one. Never been a fan of orange.

Favorite medal - Goofy. I'm a sucker for spinners.

Favorite character - Thumper and the Robin Hood gang. Love the old classic characters.

Worst part - the 445am alarm followed by three 345am alarms. That was much worse than the actual running.

Any other thoughts about the Challenge?
What was your favorite shirt?
Favorite medal?

Favorite character seen on the course?

Favorite shirt - the half and the full shirts

Favorite medal - the marathon medal (but Mickey's my favorite so that one always wins) followed by the Goofy medal

Favorite characters - Football Mickey during the 10K, Ulf (the mime from Tangled) during the half and the Robin Hood characters during the marathon

Overall I held up way, way better than I expected - light years better than I was after 5K+Goofy in 2013 (I think largely due to the cooler weather) - and I can't wait to do it again!! :goodvibes

Favorite medal?

Shirts-Liked all of the shirts. As I said in my earlier post, it's probably an unpopular opinion but I love bright/neon colors so Goofy was my personal favorite.

Medals-Probably Mickey Marathon, something just doesn't get old about the achievement of finishing a marathon. Like spinners, but after the 20th anniversary Marathon medal a couple years ago the Goofy medal didn't have quite the same wow factor this time around. Still waiting for a Dopey medal that feels like it matches the monumental achievement of the Dopey Challenge.

Characters-I missed seeing Launchpad and Darkwing this year. Hopefully they haven't been permanently replaced. Was disappointed to have Elastigirl leave just as I was stepping up for my picture, but The Incredibles (just Mr. Incredible) was my only picture stop. I hit a lot of the character breaks for some reason. Barely saw any characters during the 10K; Sports Mickey was the only one there when I passed. Planned on stopping more during the half marathon, but that seemed to be everyone's plan so the lines were just too long for this impatient guy. Will probably plan on stopping more during the marathon next year. Lines were much more acceptable.

Overall experience was as great as it has always been. It always makes me want to do more runDisney races, but I think I would tire of it (especially the expense) quickly if I were to do more than the WDW Marathon Weekend. Already looking forward to next year and another 48.6+ miles.

Barca33runner - I like the Goofy shirt a lot but I think Goody himself is too lightly colored. If he popped more it would probably be my favorite (great shirt for runner outside, bright color will be good for drivers to see me better).

Still waiting for a Dopey medal that feels like it matches the monumental achievement of the Dopey Challenge.

I agree. I think Dopey was even smaller than the marathon medal. I also think that Dopey is a harder shape to make out then the other characters. It's kind of a gold blob if you don't know what you're looking at.

Barca33runner - I like the Goofy shirt a lot but I think Goody himself is too lightly colored. If he popped more it would probably be my favorite (great shirt for runner outside, bright color will be good for drivers to see me better).

That's funny. Whether, which, and to what degree the characters "popped" was the exact language and discussion my family and I had when giving each of the shirts our first once over. The loose stenciling grew on me, although I can definitely see your point with the Goofy outline.

I agree. I think Dopey was even smaller than the marathon medal. I also think that Dopey is a harder shape to make out then the other characters. It's kind of a gold blob if you don't know what you're looking at.

I was somewhat surprised when the inaugural medal was so plain and was, for the first time with a runDisney medal, disappointed when this year's turned out to be literally the same medal with the year changed, no inaugural lettering and the purple and green swapped between the medal and ribbon. Almost makes me worry that next year's medal will just forgo color altogether and be the same medal all in gold.

Oh well, the medals are just window dressing, the run and the overall experience is what keeps me coming back.

I talked back and forth today with a very nice lady named Susan from Track Shack.

I was having a problem like lots of others were having where our chip timers did not register for the 5K or 10K. So I wasn't showing up as being a Dopey finisher.

I even had that problem when trying to receive my Goofy and Dopey medals after the marathon.

But with the help of MarathonFoto she was able to get my 5K finish line picture. And with the help of my garmin connect plus the bib numbers of 2 people I crossed the finish line with (that I found via MarathonFoto) she determined my 10K finish time. So now finally sometime this weekend I should appear in the list of finishers for the Dopey. Woo Hoo!

Favorite medal?

This experience was my first time running a rundisney race and it was fantastic! I can't wait for the DDD and to run more in the future :)

Favorite Shirt is the Dopey shirt (since my favorite color is green) ... followed by the Full Marathon shirt.

Favorite Medal is the Dopey ... maybe because it was what I worked/trained so hard for! Second would be the huge full marathon medal.

Well it took almost 2 months but I have finally matched the miles that I ran during the Dopey weekend. There really is no excuse but I'm blaming the weather and lack of motivation because I did not have any runs to train for. That's changed, since I signed up for the half at Disneyland. I was in the queue to sign up for DDD which runDisney was showing at 50% but by the time I got to the actual registration it said DDD was full. I am happy that I got into the half and I even convinced my wife to sign up for her first half since she enjoyed the 10k so much.

Still in post-Dopey recovery but getting ready to lace it up for my first official event since WDW this Saturday and Sunday. It will be different, but great all the same.
Anybody else run another event since Dopey or have one coming up?

Still in post-Dopey recovery but getting ready to lace it up for my first official event since WDW this Saturday and Sunday. It will be different, but great all the same.

First post-Dopey race is Cleveland Half Marathon in May. Have been running 20-30 mile weeks since two weeks after Dopey. Took a quick break for recovery after it was over. Planning for my first sub-2:00 half, if not in May then hopefully at one of the two other Halfs I have coming up this year.

First post-Dopey race is Cleveland Half Marathon in May. Have been running 20-30 mile weeks since two weeks after Dopey. Took a quick break for recovery after it was over. Planning for my first sub-2:00 half, if not in May then hopefully at one of the two other Halfs I have coming up this year.
I'll be there for the 10K! :)

I'm slowly getting over some post-Dopey burnout...building the mileage back up. 10-miler in late April and the 10K in May. Local marathon (first non-Disney one) in late September.

I did all the Star Wars races in DL the next weekend, but have been taking it easy since. Looking forward to the race season coming up around here starting in a week or so.

I've got the Comrades "up" run coming on May 31. That's enough to worry about right now.

I did a freezing 10k on Valentine's Day and have the Marine Corps 17.75k next week so I can get my guaranteed entry into the 40th Marine Corps Marathon.

I have the Marine Corps 17.75k next week so I can get my guaranteed entry into the 40th Marine Corps Marathon.

good luck with the 17.75 k, I've heard the course is very hilly but obviously a great perk with entry to the MCM.
Didn't the event sell out in 6 or 7 minutes?

I need to pick a fall marathon. Hope to make a decision this weekend at Shamrock (lots of vendors from other events there). MCM is always a great event, I ran it the last year before they started lottery.

good luck with the 17.75 k, I've heard the course is very hilly but obviously a great perk with entry to the MCM.
Didn't the event sell out in 6 or 7 minutes?

I need to pick a fall marathon. Hope to make a decision this weekend at Shamrock (lots of vendors from other events there). MCM is always a great event, I ran it the last year before they started lottery.

Thanks. Yep it sold out in 7 minutes worse than Disney challenge races. I was debating on just relying on the lottery for the MCM but I didn't want to chance it. I have only done a quick look at the course, hopefully it is not too hilly. My daughter is running the Shamrock Half this weekend if it wasn't my wife's birthday this weekend I probably would have signed up for this as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter