Doreen's New Way of Life (comments are welcome)

I earned :) :) :) for devotions, pills and water yesterday. Very little healthy eating and no exercise. When I'm stressed at work, I tend to come home and crash.

The forecast today calls for 3"-6" of snow. It is just starting. The ride home should be interesting. :p Thank goodness for all wheel drive! The woman I ride with is a good driver in snow so all will be well. The kids may get out of school early though - you just never know. (edit 11:15 AM - yep, the kids are being sent home at 12:30 :p)

Work - busy as usual. I only got 2 of my 7 tasks done yesterday but I was pretty proud of the work I did on them. Today I'm moving on to the other 5. I have decided that I will come in on Saturday and do some of this work that is stressing me out. That way I won't feel so overwhelmed going into Monday.

Today: (EDIT 11:15 AM)
1. Devotions - He who is faithful in little will be faithful in much. Make doing the right thing a cherished habit, even in the "little" situations where no one would know. Now, if I could be faithful in my healthy eating....... still working on this one. :p
2. Pills - meds taken but I ran out of vitamins.
3. Water - third mug started.
4. Healthy eating - B = yogurt w/ almonds, AM snack = banana, L will be an apple w/ PB, PM snack will be an orange, D will be ham steaks w/ a low carb mustard sauce and green beans. (edit 11:15 AM - I'm majorly proud of myself for NOT having any of the goodies brought in for a co-worker's retirement, even if he DID have 37 years of service. :hourglass )
5. Exercise - :rolleyes: Do I hafta???? I'm not making any promises on this one. I know I'll feel better if I do, but if I'm exhausted when I get home then I'm saving my strength for work tomorrow. Besides, I may have to shovel snow.

By the way, the DISboards have changed the siggie requirements. For those who are tech-savvy, no more HTML tags - switch them to VB. This means that the original countdown timers no longer are supported, among other things. See the Tech Board for more info.

Good morning, WISH-sis. :goodvibes all around you :goodvibes Please know that I'm thinking about you and sending all kinds of love and support your way.

:teeth: You don't know about wearing your pajamas inside out? It's school folklore--if you wear your jammies inside out, you'll get a snow day! Do it tonight and maybe it'll work! :teeth:

Take care of yourself today. Maybe it seems like too much to have a whole healthy eating day (why is it such darn trouble sometimes?!!!!), so count on just one strongly healthy meal. And instead of a whole workout, maybe just a quickie WATP one miler just to relieve some of the stress. . .kind of a "work release" walk, just for YOU. Just something to think about.

I'll be thinking of you in the p.m. commute. Glad your driver is a good one.

Hugs to you, honey--
Erin

Hi Doe,

I am sending major :wizard: for your tasks. Taking some time on Saturday to finish up some of your projects is a good idea, but be sure to take some time to yourself this weekend to recharge your batteries.

Snow shovelling counts as exercise.

Be careful on your way home,
Beth

I"m home - the commute was slow but without incident. :)

Hi Doreen,
Glad you made it home. I guess you'll be passing the snow on to us soon :) We're supposed to get 2-5" tonight :rolleyes:

Glad I have 4 wheel drive now, too::yes::

Sunny

:sunny: Good morning, Doreen! :sunny: It's a beautiful, snowy day! If you've gone into work this morning, please know I'll be thinking of you and all that you have on your "to do" list. If you're NOT at work, please know that I'm thinking of you and all that you have on your "to do" list!! :teeth: A mom's work is never done, is it?

Seriously, though, whatever the day brings to you, know that you can handle it. God is with you, watching you and lifting you up. Take a few minutes for a prayer or two. Did you read the Upper Room devotional this morning? The thought for the day is this: "Spending time with God helps us let go of our fears and worries." It doesn't have to be long--just a moment can help.

Gotta run to school.

Love you,
Erin

:sunny: Good morning! :sunny:

Yesterday I earned smilies for devotions. :teeth: Today I'll do better.

I just got into work - we had a 2 hour delay because of the snow. We got more than expected - 9"-10". Schools had a 2 hour delay but didn't get the day off. I confess that is probably my fault since I did not wear my pajamas inside out last night. :( Erin, I promise I'll try it next time.

I have plenty to do but I'm not feeling overly stressed.

Today:
1. Devotions - Journaling can help us move closer to God. I think I'll go read the Upper Room devotional too - sounds like something I need to hear. Thanks Erin!
2. Pills - not yet.
3. Water - not yet.
4. Healthy eating - B will be yogurt w/ walnuts, L will be an apple w/ PB, snack will be an orange. D will be the ham steaks I didn't make last night.
5. Exercise - probably not.

I posted this on the main WISH board but wanted to post it here so I'll remember:

FYI: Cardio vs. weight training
------------------------------

I thought I'd post this for all of us. I know I've read it before but I needed the reminder.

Paul Chek has an article on Discovery Health called "Get Off Your Fat and Get the Fat Off." In it, he talks about how to lose the fat. His first point is that diets alone won't do it - we've got to exercise. His second point is that resistance training (lifting weights, using resistance bands, etc.) will take the fat off faster than cardio.

Here's an excerpt from the article:
"Instead of starving your body to shed fat, a more effective method is to increase the amount of energy you expend. Muscle cells are fuel hungry machines. Consequently any exercise that increases the size of muscle cells and makes them work more often will increase metabolism for optimal fat loss. Sounds to me like resistance training tops out again! It is well known among strength training professionals and researchers that there is a significant post-exercise elevation of metabolism, lasting up to 3-4 hours after your weight training session ends. This is an important consideration when deciding between cardio work or resistance training for fat loss. Since cardiovascular exercise provides very little post-exercise elevation of metabolism, your cells stop burning extra energy when you get done with your run, bike, swim, etc. Compare this to a good, solid weight training session where your metabolism keeps nibbling away at that fat for hours."

Here's a link to the full article:
http://health.discovery.com/converg...ess/getoff.html

Ooh, thanks for sharing that! I've heard it before, but reading it again redefines its importance. Makes me want our weight thingy even more!

Erin

It makes sense to me!! Apparently, strength training is very efficient...doesn't take a whole lot of time & pays off all day, every day.

In January, when I started my weight loss journey, I was so focused on cardio to burn the fat off...boy, was I missing a big piece of the puzzle...strengthen muscles, burn fat...

Morning Doe - I just wanted to back-up what your article says. When I go for walks I feel exhausted afterwards. All I want to do is take a very long nap. I do enjoy them because they get me outside, and I feel I am burning lots of calories - but am exhausted afterwards. With Curves which is strength training and cardio no matter how tired I am when I go in I always feel amazing when I come out. I have all sorts of energy for the rest of the evening and don't feel the sluggish drain that I feel with walking. Plus in the first month I loss 8.5 inches off my body!

~Amanda

Happy Friday Doe! :goodvibes

Thanks so much for sharing that article. It really helps put things in perspective. I, too, as Amanda posted...have been going to Curves and am just amazed at the results I am seeing since I joined 6 weeks ago!

Take care!

Gail

I did great yesterday until evening. At least I ate healthy until dinner, right?

I'm joining Erin in a Monday morning weigh-in and siggie update. My siggie numbers are no longer accurate. The scale this morning said I'm right back where I started at 155. I'm consoling myself with the fact that I'm in the DZone so some of that MUST be water weight. :p Whatever the scale says on Monday morning is what goes in my siggie, no matter what.

I'm also thinking of spending the money for a session with a personal trainer at the health club. I need to keep training for the half marathon in seven weeks but I also want to incorporate more strength training into my regimen. I also want to set up an appointment a month later so I'll feel accountable for my workouts and progress.

I'm at work and will be catching up so I don't have that anxious overwhelmed sick-to-my-stomach feeling on Sunday evening. It's so quiet that I feel like I can truly concentrate! These open-cube environments are really noisy during a regular workday!! Even with headphones on, it's still distracting, with people stopping by and the phone ringing. I'm enjoying the peace! :cloud9:

Hi, Doreen! Oooh, I think the personal trainer idea is a great one! :Pinkbounc
Just imagine a toned, healthy body nourished by good foods and great exercise crossing that finish line in 7 weeks! :cool1: :cool1: Spring will be here and we'll be :banana: :banana: !

Take care, dear WISH-sis.
Love,
Erin

P.S. We've got to set up a March walk. PM me with your availablity. :)

I guess all three of us had an ephiphany this weekend. We all have the same idea - getting back to basics. I am going to try and think of this month as boot camp - It is only 32 days and after that we will relook at what worked and what didn't. :) Have a good Saturday and Sunday - try to get in some relaxation time because it is back to work on Monday :rolleyes:

~Amanda

I'm thinking about a personal trainer as well. Let us know how that goes ok? Have a nice Sunday. :flower:

Good for you! I always said I would do great with a personal trainer and chef!!! I hope it works out great!~ :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter