Double stroller for older / bigger kids for the parks?

We purchased a couple Chico Echo Strollers a few years ago when we went from Target on sale. They fold up like an umbrella stroller but have roomy baskets underneath, recline, and have tall handles for my tall DH. My oldest DS was too tall for the sunshades on our regular umbrella strollers but fit nicely under the sunshade of this model. When we did Universal in Dec the boys were 8 and 5 and we took only one stroller figuring that they could take turns riding if they both wanted to. My oldest walked the whole time and never asked to ride but my youngest rode quite a bit. They will be 9 and 6 turning 7 in Feb. when we go and I thought about leaving it home altogether this time but we'll be there for 9 days and that could be a lot of money if we decided we need to rent one for the youngest so I think we'll take it one last time. We can always store it in the car if it becomes apparent that he isn't going to ride in it.

Have you asked your kids how THEY feel about riding in a stroller. DS8 who, at 50 lbs could fit in a stroller, would be mortified at the thought.

Wow - can you say judgmental!?! My thread was not on opinion question weather my children should or should not be in a stroller. My son who is low-tone, has muscle/core weaknesses and endurance issues (he sees an OT weekly for it) and is heat sensitive. He will feel JUST FINE when he can sit down and catch a ride when its a 105 heat index in August in the parks as opposed to walking around when he's hot and feeling weak!

I didn't think the question was rude. I thought the response spoke to the thought process of the original poster. Doesn't care what the kids want or even try to find out what their desires are on the subject. I guess they'll just be strapped unwilling into the stroller.

I wasn't going to reply but some of these responses to what I thought was a legitimate and non-rude question make me want to put in my two cents. My older girl wouldn't stay in stroller after she was about 3 years old. She must have walked 10 miles around Boston one summer day while I pushed around her empty stroller. My younger daughter was willing to stay in a stroller a little longer but not much past 5. I might have got obstinate about it and said come hell or high water they were going in that stroller but I didn't want miserable kids. They have survived well and both still respond to my instructions and respect my wishes. At some point you have to loosen the reins a little. Including letting them participate in some small decisions about themselves. Every kid is different so you have to decide based on the child. Some of the input should come from the child themselves either based on asking them or just observation of their past and current behavior and actions. If the original poster wants or decides their kids need a stroller that is up to them but I think the question that caused this recoil is fully legitimate to ask. If they aren't taking the child's feelings about it into consideration at all I think that is a cause for concern. Especially as they get a little older.

Thank you. I was the one who asked that question and I wasn't trying to be rude.

Years ago, when my oldest two kids were 8 & 6, we went in Aug and I rented a double stroller. My then 8 yr old has asthma and I thought the heat and humidity would be hard on her. I didn't even think to ask her how she felt about being in a stroller and when I asked her to hop in, she was mortified. She wanted nothing to do with the stroller and I learned that I should've asked her first. I could've saved some money and just rented a single for the 6 yr old.

I didn't think the question was rude. I thought the response spoke to the thought process of the original poster. Doesn't care what the kids want or even try to find out what their desires are on the subject. I guess they'll just be strapped unwilling into the stroller.
QUOTE]

To clarify - I have never just strapped my children unwillingly into a stroller. At home my son obviously has not been in a stroller for years. I brought my old jeep one every summer at our Disney trip because of the high heat indexes and the long periods of walking we would be doing. Both of my kids would periodically ask to sit and catch a ride as needed - no one forced them to. I brought it along as an option in case they got tired and needed to sit and take a break.

I think it's a little sad that people make presumptuous comments without knowing the full scope of a situation. I always try to be supportive and non-judgmental on this board. Oh well

To clarify - I have never just strapped my children unwillingly into a stroller. At home my son obviously has not been in a stroller for years. I brought my old jeep one every summer at our Disney trip because of the high heat indexes and the long periods of walking we would be doing. Both of my kids would periodically ask to sit and catch a ride as needed - no one forced them to. I brought it along as an option in case they got tired and needed to sit and take a break.

I think it's a little sad that people make presumptuous comments without knowing the full scope of a situation. I always try to be supportive and non-judgmental on this board. Oh well

The questioner said their kid would be mortified. Not that you should be mortified for considering it. I think you and a few others here read an insult/attack where none was intended.

Hi all,

My kids are years out of stroller age (9 & 7) but because we go in August in the extreme heat, I usually bring my jeep double stroller for when it's too hot for them to walk around the parks. Well it broke & is discontinued so I can't buy it again, so I was wondering what I should do for this year's trip. (My son is 62 pounds & my daughter is 33 pounds).
Has anyone done the Disney stroller rental for older kids, or any other ides would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marina

We plan to use a double stroller for girls, petite 7 & 8 yr olds. We have used Orlando Strollers for the last two trips and have been satisfied. Have a great time!!

I still think that pushing that much weight around a hot park might be exhausting for whoever is doing the pushing. It is something to keep in mind.

Also, if you're going to ask for opinions then it's wise to expect all kinds of opinions.

Last edited:

Im contemplating renting a park stroller for my 6yo (7 when we go), shes 54" right now, so I may have to go with the double, especially if she keeps growing, lol

We loved our experience with Kingdom Strollers last May, renting a double for our then 6-year-old and 1 1/2-year-old daughters. We strapped on stroller fans and the toddler napped every single day in it. The 6-year-old napped 2 or 3 of the days too. BONUS!! We are renting again this November, and they will be 7 and almost 3. My 7-year-old complains about leg cramps if I make her walk around Target too long...sheesh! I don't feel like listening to it for 8 park days when she gets tired, and we're traveling as a larger group of 8...figure I'll spare the others from some of the whining too. Plus, I'm a fast walker and I can get her to hop in when I'm booking it to the bus:) Judge away.... ;)

If you didn't mention your child being heat sensitive or any other medical conditions where he might need a stroller then people are going to base their opinions on that. Can't know the "full scope of the situation" if you don't include it. I didn't think the comment was rude. Just a different side to consider.

Wow - can you say judgmental!?! My thread was not on opinion question weather my children should or should not be in a stroller. My son who is low-tone, has muscle/core weaknesses and endurance issues (he sees an OT weekly for it) and is heat sensitive. He will feel JUST FINE when he can sit down and catch a ride when its a 105 heat index in August in the parks as opposed to walking around when he's hot and feeling weak!

Why don't you go during a less than miserable time of the year. That sensitivity would seem to be extreme given the humidity and heat of the time of year. January would seem optimal. I love the extremes this time of the year but children may not feel the same way. It makes for good pool time but horrible wait times.

We have a Combi side-by-side double and it's been on every Disney trip with us. This past January, my 5 year-old (30 pounds) and sometimes, my 10 year-old (52 pounds) even rode. Heck, we even rented a wheelchair for my 11 year-old because after 6 full days of RD-until-closing, her feet were really tired. I have no problems AT ALL doing this, if it makes our trip more magical. Which it did. We'll probably do the same thing next trip!

Hi all,

My kids are years out of stroller age (9 & 7) but because we go in August in the extreme heat, I usually bring my jeep double stroller for when it's too hot for them to walk around the parks. Well it broke & is discontinued so I can't buy it again, so I was wondering what I should do for this year's trip. (My son is 62 pounds & my daughter is 33 pounds).
Has anyone done the Disney stroller rental for older kids, or any other ides would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marina

I don't know if the rented strollers are still the same as 10 yr ago, but at that time, there was no safety harnesses on the rental strollers. For that reason we never took any rental stroller, we always brought ours.
I don't know what is the level of excitation of your kids, but I can tell you that with my kids, the only way to have them rest a bit was to have them fully strapped in. If they were not strapped in, they were always getting in and out of the stroller allthough at times they were so tired that they were in tears for anything. Even at 8, they all benefited on a short sleeping break in a stroller during the afternoon.

Ignore anything about the appropriateness of having your children in strollers. Have you thought about Craig's List? I got a great double stroller that way and used it at Disney when my children were 6 and 9. Perhaps you can even find the one that you liked that was discontinued!

We were planning on renting one double for 3 kids to share (3, 5, 8). This is making me think we need a double & a single.... ODD is the whiner about walking/being tired/hot. If she gets cranky, there will be a chain reaction....

Does anyone have a pic of the park strollers?

Taking four of the younger grandchildren in December 6, 4, 4 and 1. We're bring three strollers. Kids will switch out. These kids are all runners except the 1YO and run several 5Ks a year and they still need strollers.

I don't know if the rented strollers are still the same as 10 yr ago, but at that time, there was no safety harnesses on the rental strollers. For that reason we never took any rental stroller, we always brought ours.
I don't know what is the level of excitation of your kids, but I can tell you that with my kids, the only way to have them rest a bit was to have them fully strapped in. If they were not strapped in, they were always getting in and out of the stroller allthough at times they were so tired that they were in tears for anything. Even at 8, they all benefited on a short sleeping break in a stroller during the afternoon.
Yes, because you don't want an unsecured 9 year old rolling out if the stroller...

We rented one at the parks for our 4/4/6 year old to share, because they were obviously above the normal age for strollers, but we are fast walkers, so it was a good vehicle to get them from point A to point B quickly (plus we also had a 9 and 11 year old, and didn't want to lose anyone). We liked that they could get in and out easily, and they were certainly old enough to stay put.

I did some research and am renting a stroller from kingdom strollers. Thanks for the support! :D

I reserved this one: (the City Mini GT Double)
https://kingdomstrollers.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_term=kingdom stroller&utm_medium=cpc&kw=kingdom stroller

But the rep. at kingdom strollers said the BOB Revolution Duallie was god for bigger kids too.

I rented the same one for my upcoming trip. DD7 and sized slightly like yours (44" tall, 43 pounds) and DS3. Both will walk a fair bit I am sure, but I am not yet sold on the idea of leaving the park mid-day for a "break" so I want a place for the kids to crash/rest if I want to keep moving. I also think it's good for ensuring that - when needed - you can move at your pace and not theirs. I know my son would happily walk all over, but he's 3 and moves at an appropriate pace for his age... not conducive to getting quickly to those killer meet and greet lines. I figured the double will keep them both happy and since most people see my DD and assume she is 5, I probably won't get many weird looks. Hahahaha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter