Drink Stations/Soft Serve Ice Cream Question

airplanegod

Airline Expert
Hi all,

Used to cruise a lot on Disney but haven't since COVID. Was looking to possible get on one next year. I was wondering if the soft serve ice cream/drink stations up on the pool deck are still self serve or if there are cast members serving it? I know they switched over during COVID but was wondering if they went back to self service. I definitely prefer the self service. Thanks!

Yes, its all back to to self serve now. I was on a cruise on The Dream in August 2023 and it was self serve.

If your on the wish they serve ice cream to you but you can still take a cup from the drink station to fill. Drinks you get on your own unless there is a sickness on the ship.

The rest of the ships you do both.

I’ve been on 3 cruises post pandemic (Wish, Dream, and Fantasy) including last month and none of them had self serve ice cream.

Can you explain why there were crew members doing ice cream full time on my cruises in Dec 2022 (Dream) and Dec 2023 (Fantasy)?
Interesting. We were on Fantasy June 2022 and Dream August 2023. Self serve ice cream (although a cast member handed out cones, you did the ice cream part yourself.), and self serve beverage station for both cruises. It may just be time of year, trying to prevent noro in the winter.

Fantasy December 2022 - Self Serve. Although there was a beer sweet crew member just keeping an eye on things. Would wipe up any spills and hand out cups if you didn’t want a cone. Unobtrusive. Helpful.

Just got off the Magic last week. Drinks were self-serve. Ice cream was not. That said, I heard that there was a large number of cases of noro onboard. This was the first time in 13 cruises with DCL that someone in our family came down with it. I was starting to think we were some of the lucky that are immune.

Just off the fantasy yesterday. Drinks were self serve. Ice cream was not. Sailed on the fantasy in November and ice cream was self serve then. Not sure what changed.

As you can see it can change depending on circumstances. It can change even mid cruise or even mid day. One post covid cruise the crew was doing it. Then I watched the crew member walk away and passengers served themselves soft serve.
When we were on the Wish the soft serve set up appeared to be permanently served by crew since It was behind a counter.
Never encountered crew serving at the drink stations though.

Sailed on the Magic and the Dream in 2023. Both were self-serve for both soft serve and soft drinks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter