Driver killed in monorail crash....

I have been following this ever since it happened and read this whole thread. The entire thing just breaks my heart and I swear everytime I read more it gets more and more sad. I am heartbroken that Austin lost his life in this way and for what his mother is going through right now. He was probably her life!! I can not imagine. :sad1: I am so sorry something like this happened. He seemed like an amazing guy!

Just heartbreaking!!!

what I am not understanding is if purple was stopped outside the station how was the original video taken showing the monorails in the station and people around it and getting off? How did they get into the TTC?
The video you saw was taken immediately after the accident happened. The photos you probably saw -- with the noses of both trains visible well outside any of the loading platforms -- were taken later. They moved the two trains after a while so that the pilot of Monorail Pink could exit the cockpit safely on the platform. Or so I have read, anyway.

SSB

CNN reported last night that 3 employees have been placed on paid leave:

Driver of Monorail Pink
A maintenance shop person
A manager

"part of an investigative process, not a disciplinary action."

I think this lines up with things we have been hearing from prior monorail castmembers.

Given there was no technical failure, as found by the NTSB and OSHA, we can expect to see some people lose their jobs.

CNN reported last night that 3 employees have been placed on paid leave:

Driver of Monorail Pink
A maintenance shop person
A manager

"part of an investigative process, not a disciplinary action."

I think this lines up with things we have been hearing from prior monorail castmembers.

Given there was no technical failure, as found by the NTSB and OSHA, we can expect to see some people lose their jobs.

It’s interesting a maintenance technician is included. If the accident was caused by a number of procedure mistakes, maintenance would not be included. The holiday weekend has very high attendance…..maybe a 2nd or 3rd layer redundant safety link was temporarily overridden by maintenance???

I believe that maintenance is responsible for switching the track, so I'm sure that's why they are included.

I believe that maintenance is responsible for switching the track, so I'm sure that's why they are included.

I wouldn’t think maintenance would be responsible for routing monorails……maybe if the switch was malfunctioning and maintenance gave the OK to operate?? Routing the monorail path is key in the safety system and would have many interlocks preventing it from sending the train in the wrong path. My guess is a layer of safety was temporarily bypassed hoping procedures would keep it from being activated. I don’t know much about monorail safety but you can design interlocks to make it impossible for two moving objects to collide. Safety systems are designed so when a sensor, relay or any component fails, the system shuts down until repaired or overridden. Last week, my car displayed a light bulb failure for the brakes. A back-up light bulb was activated until it could be repaired. Every time I started the car, I had to clear the message. The engineers could have programmed a slow deceleration until the car stopped and lock the start circuit until it was repaired. The point I’m trying to make is you can make systems idiot proof. Maintenance and engineering know how to bypass the interlocks.

I believe in one of the (very) previous posts someone indicated that mainenance was the one that actually flips the switch. and control has to visually verify the switch "took."

I wouldn’t think maintenance would be responsible for routing monorails……maybe if the switch was malfunctioning and maintenance gave the OK to operate?? Routing the monorail path is key in the safety system and would have many interlocks preventing it from sending the train in the wrong path. My guess is a layer of safety was temporarily bypassed hoping procedures would keep it from being activated. I don’t know much about monorail safety but you can design interlocks to make it impossible for two moving objects to collide. Safety systems are designed so when a sensor, relay or any component fails, the system shuts down until repaired or overridden. Last week, my car displayed a light bulb failure for the brakes. A back-up light bulb was activated until it could be repaired. Every time I started the car, I had to clear the message. The engineers could have programmed a slow deceleration until the car stopped and lock the start circuit until it was repaired. The point I’m trying to make is you can make systems idiot proof. Maintenance and engineering know how to bypass the interlocks.

It's been reported from former monorail pilots that maintenance is responsible for "throwing the switch".

The monorails do have avoidance systems. But it's also been reported that these avoidance systems are disengaged when the monorails switch beams.

I believe in one of the (very) previous posts someone indicated that mainenance was the one that actually flips the switch. and control has to visually verify the switch "took."

It's been reported from former monorail pilots that maintenance is responsible for "throwing the switch".

The monorails do have avoidance systems. But it's also been reported that these avoidance systems are disengaged when the monorails switch beams.

Thank you...I thought for a moment I was going crazy, but I knew I read that in multiple places.:worship:

I think part of the reason they're on leave is to keep the media from trying to find out who they are. I mean I know other people that were there are still working, but those three know the exact details of what was said over the radio. And Disney doesn't want any "undercover investigations" going on with the media hounding the cast members. I think it's the safest thing to do. And the pink driver will probably be transfered into a non safety critical position like working parades/shows. I think it's down right amazing that the driver hasn't been named.

I think part of the reason they're on leave is to keep the media from trying to find out who they are. I mean I know other people that were there are still working, but those three know the exact details of what was said over the radio. And Disney doesn't want any "undercover investigations" going on with the media hounding the cast members. I think it's the safest thing to do. And the pink driver will probably be transfered into a non safety critical position like working parades/shows. I think it's down right amazing that the driver hasn't been named.

Sorry, you're way off base as it is "SOP" to suspend CMs involved in potentially serious or serious incidents.

Suspension here usually means not being in any postion - safety critical or otherwise.

And, the local idiot news vultures/"reporters" have already tried to contact the pink monorail driver, it seems, by visiting his house where they reportedly spoke with his wife.

The pink monorail driver has been named in some news reports and it probably won't be long before the names of the other 2 leak out.

The local TV stations here have stooped to new lows - rivaling the Casey Anthony debacle - regarding this unfortunate incident. What little respect I had left for them is now long gone.

And, the local idiot news vultures/"reporters" have already tried to contact the pink monorail driver, it seems, by visiting his house where they reportedly spoke with his wife.

The pink monorail driver has been named in some news reports and it probably won't be long before the names of the other 2 leak out.

The local TV stations here have stooped to new lows - rivaling the Casey Anthony debacle - regarding this unfortunate incident. What little respect I had left for them is now long gone.

Geez, can't they give the guy a break? (you don't have to answer that...) I agree with you. That's just lower than low. I hope he can find some peace.

I could be wrong……but it just seems like old technology. It’s not much different than routing and controlling a roller coaster. Technology is less expensive and more reliable than a human manually moving a switch.

I haven't turned the news on, I'm only listening to the stuff that's been said here on this board and another board. because at least these two sites are more acurate in knowing how the system works. I hate listening to the news and knowing how much BS is coming out of them. Especially when it comes to simple operating systems. It's like if you ever took the time to ride the monorail, maybe you'd figure a thing or two out.

I'm just saying, if the driver is allowed back at disney, well then s/he won't be working in a safety critical area.

I'm just saying, if the driver is allowed back at disney, well then s/he won't be working in a safety critical area.

Why wouldn't he be allowed back at work? Have they determined he caused the crash?? I think it has been determined clearly that he was given the go to back up and there is no way he could see the other train. That sounds like an accident not his fault. I know he is suspended for now but they made it clear this was not discplenary. I would bet that if he doesn't drive a monorail again it is simply because he won't want to. He did get into an accident an a friend of his died, who would blame him. People get into car accidents all the time but we don't ban them from the road unless it was due to DUI or something like that. This CM was really just doing his job (it sounds like). That would be ashame if he is taken off a job he loves just for political reasons. Now Maintenance and Command they had the clearest breakdown so I can see some permanent suspensions. Of course all this is based on what we are hearing and not any actual report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter