• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving ? from T.O.

mom22belles

<font color=red>Welcomed Guest<br><font color=teal
If I am driving from T.O. using the I90 /195 route what would be a good half way point to stop at as our overnight stop. We are planning to do the drive over a 2 day period. I have seen a few posts about driving down any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks Nancy

Do you have a copy of the book Along I-75. If not pick one up at your local bookstore or CAA. It is invaluable when on I-75 and will show you all of the hotels located along the highway. Somewhere in mid Tennessee would be my guess as to half way for you. If you could make it to Knoxville, I think you would be more than halfway and would be in a more populated area.

Mike - Do you have any suggestions?

When we did that route we left 6:00pm on Firday and stayed just outside of Pittsburg, next night stayed in Ridgeland South Carolina just north of the Georgia border and we were in WDW mid afternoon on Sunday.

Allison

Hi, We left Sept 21st and we stopped just north of Charleston NC. There were a lot of hotels and restaurants. We stayed at a Super 8 and there was a Cracker Barrel in the parking lot. This was about 14 hours from TO. We drove the rest of the way the next day and got to Disney the next day around 5pm.

It looks like the above posters did not fully read your post of driving down via I90 I95 and have given instructions for the more favourable route down I75.
The route you have chosen is the least favoured route for persons travelling to Florida from the Toronto GTA. The time of year usually has a bearing on the other two routes,The central route crossing at Fort Erie, I90, I77, I79, I26, I95, I4, WDW , is the most scenic, has the least amount of roadside facilitiesand is best in the good weather only. The crossing in Detroit, I75, WDW, route is good all year round, lots of facilities, not the greatest views. The I90, I95, I4, WDW route is the least driven, longest, and according to the latest CAA reports to be avoided due to the recent sniper activities around the Washington area. :( :(
Everyone who has driven to Florida has their own ideas on when and where to stop, shop and eat on the way, but without knowing more of your travelling habits it would be hard to comment. If you wish more help just post more details and we will be glad to help. :smooth: :Pinkbounc

You're right juniorbugman. I was thinking they were going to go through Detroit, which I still think is the better way of going from the Toronto area, especially during the winter.

We took I95 NOT I75. This was before the sniper incidents and CAA recommended this route as it had A LOT less road construction at that time. We stopped at the AAA in Magic Kingdom and they were strongly recommending people NOT take I75. He pulled out a book that showed all the major road construction going on then and there was WAY more on I75.

On thing that you can be sure of travelling in the USA, is that no matter where you go you can always find some construction!!:Pinkbounc
Usually its at the most inopertune times, either someone has to go to the bathroom :rolleyes: and your stuck in traffic or the whole groups cranky looking for a place to stop for the night,:mad: The joys of trying to save a few bucks over not flying, :smooth:

We just drove the I-75 route and didn't run into a lot of construction at all. There was some but since we drove on the weekend they weren't working on the road. Only in one location were we slowed down by construction but as I write this I can't recall just where it was. It was on the way home though. My suggestion for driving is to go to Cracker Barrel and get their books (or CD's) on tape. It's a great program. You buy the book on tape and if you return it to another Cracker Barrel you get all your money back except for $3, which is their rental charge for a week. We listened to 4 books that way -- 2 on the way down and 2 on the way home. It was a great way to pass the time. Each Cracker Barrel also has a map at the counter to let you know where the next ones are which is great for planning. Just my suggestion for those who drive.

Cdnmickeylover

for all the replies everyone. We haven't made up our minds yet as to which route to take. Mapquest was the one the suggested the I90/I70/I95 route. We are travelling with young children and an older wheelchair bound person so our big consideration is having many choices for hotels and resturants to stop at. we are travelling in mid December so weather may or may not be a factor. The sniper is also a factor although I pray he will be caught before we leavve .
Thanks for the books on tape/Crakell Barrel tip I would never have none about it as it's not a place we would generally stop at.
If anyone else has input it that would be great.
Nancy

P.S. I checked into the I 75 book at Indigo and was told it's out of print. But someone on here mentioned there is a new edition yearly.

Mom22belles, the book "Along I-75" is published each October. The 2003 edition should be available in Chapters or Indigo soon, I would think. More info can be found at their website: www.i75online.com

Along with the wealth of information, the nice thing about the book, we find, is that it shows parallel routes along the I-75. If you encounter traffic problems or hear of an upcoming one on the car radio, it is easy to locate an exit (using the mile markers along the highway which are also shown in the book) and where to get back on again. We have used this a few times now, when encountering an accident or construction.

If you choose the I75 route, try to locate a CB radio for your car. The information on the radio for road conditions and weather is very current as well as the "famous smokey bear radar traps" can usually be found here, if you can stand the sometimes foul language of the truckers.
I have have mine near the driver and the backseat passengers do not really hear much.:smooth:
The I75 route is the most preferred route for winter driving. We had 10+ inches :eek: of snow fall in a couple of hours in late November near Pittsburg a few years ago while driving the center route. Gave the old allwheel drive a good workout plus our great Canadian driving lessons, cars were in the ditches everywhere :smooth:
Now we travel I75 but you can still get snow and blowing snow in mid December, you might want to put together an emergency supply kit for your vehicle :rolleyes:

Just back from the bookstore and the new edition of "Along the I75" is out. So we picked one up. Thinking of trying to make it to Sweetwater Tenn. is this to much to try for ?

Nancy

I know that Sweetwater is halfway from Detroit to Orlando - I would think that it wouldn't be too bad and at least you would be more than half way from TO to Orlando. If you get tired, you can always stop sooner, but I would prefer to get the longer part of the drive over on the first day.

That's exactly what DH was thinking but with a 4 year old and a 8mnth old ( at the time of trip) I'm afarid it might be too much. I guess we will have to plan many "surprises " for the older one.

ThanksNancy

I drove the I75 down to Florida alone with my DS when he was 2.5. What I did to break up the drive was made sure that I stopped at the McD's that had playgrounds and let him play for a bit. I also left Toronto at 4am the first day so that he would sleep for the first couple of hours. I also took a lot of his toys that he was familar with to keep him occupied during the drive. I'm lucky though that he's a great long distance driver. He's 16 now and just reads a book during long drives. He doesn't seem bothered at all by reading in a moving car. Driving is doable and can actually be a quite pleasant family time.

Dave Hunter's book Along the I-75 will tell you which restaurants have playgrounds which is very helpful. We've used it every year since it first came out 10 years ago.

Cdnmickeylover

We are leaving Nov 15 and taking the route thru PA down. We take a tv/vcr combo in our van as we have a 6, 4, 2 yr old to keep occupied while driving. We plan to get to St. Pete's on Sunday night where we are staying. I hate the drive between Toronto and Detroit, that's why we go thru Fort Erie and down. We've driven both routes before and I prefer the I-90/95 route.:smooth:

We went down last June with a 2&4 year old, TV/vcr combo was worth its wait in gold!!!! We bought one at costco for about $250.00, it was well worth it. On the way down we took the 190-route through West Virginia and into the Carolinas, we hated it. Besides being incredible boring we also spent almost twice as much in gas as we did on the way home on I-75. I do like the stretch through South Carolina and Georgia on I-95 but it is not worth it to go through West Virginia.

Allison

When I made my solo drive from Toronto I went I-75. I got as far as Caryville, TN which is about 75 miles before Sweetwater.

On the way back I stopped in London, KY which is about 65 miles north of Caryville TN....so I'd say the TN border area is a good target..it all depends how much time you're willing to spend in the car.

Those books on tape really are a great way to pass the time...pop one in and three hours later you're 200 miles further along and someone has read you a story. In addition to the Cracker Barrel stores, I also visit my local library prior to a road trip, since it doesn't cost anything to get them from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter