DVC changes you

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
I am a couple of weeks into ROFR and waiting (not patiently). And recently, I was thinking of how much my mindset changed as I went through this process.

Five years ago, I could never imagine going to WDW every year, wanting a kitchen, or doing laundry on vacation.

Now, I have DD2, and I want to give her an annual, traditional vacation each year. She loved WDW. I want to be able to spend time at the pool, walk around the parks at a relaxed pace, and force myself to disconnect from work. I want the freedom to make breakfast in the morning, not pack 10 days worth of clothes, and space for the family.

After considering our travel styles and my family, I realized I would spend a fortune entertaining us at the beach or mountains. When we travel, we do stuff - we do not pay for a hotel room to sit in the room. The DVC villas will allow us to have a longer, relaxed vacation each year, with so much to do at our fingertips.

This process has shown me just how different families are, and is the perfect example of what works for one does not work for another. I am in ROFR for AKV, because I wanted a unique, well themed hotel, good value, with elevators. I cannot wait to start planning (another perk for me - the research and planning are enjoyable breaks from my work).

Why did you choose DVC? What made it different than other options?

Last edited:
I still love it because it is a relaxing vacation. We have owned for 15 years now; the kids are grown and our first trip with both grandkids is this March. We were sold on time shares after staying with relatives and relishing in the space you get. Sitting on the edge of a bed each night was not my idea of an enjoyable vacation.

We chose DVC because of the flexibility with points, friends already owned and had wonderful things to say about it, and of course, we liked Disney. We only go into the parks once usually since we know we'll be back. Being from NH, just getting to Florida in the winter is great; we don't need to spend all the extra on park stuff.

We bought at SSR while they were still building and have been staying all over the place.

Last edited:
You are correct that DVC makes going to Disney easy. It makes going back to a normal room very difficult. We started with the plan to do studios, and then had a 1 BR and love them. then add-on-itis set in and we got our second contract. Others have similar stories.
Best advice we got was purchase more points than you think you may need as your point needs most likely will go up.

My parents are getting to an age where they don't enjoy the parks as much as they used to, but I'm a foster parent and they like to go along when I take the kids. It's nice to be able to get one big two bedroom for everyone and I know my mom especially likes the idea of a washer/dryer and kitchen. And having the living room area where they can relax when they aren't at the parks is great. I love Disney and do enjoy the amenities of a deluxe hotel so this was always the goal, and I'm glad I was finally in a position to buy in a little while ago.

My MIL lives in Vero and loves Disney, so I figured it was worth it to have a regular FL vacation. At first I thought we'd be using points at Vero to visit her, but now I think she'd rather head to the parks with us.

We like the extra space for teenage boys; I like being able to do laundry (see teenage boys--their clothes can smell BAD!); we love taking a relaxed trip where there is lounge around the resort time; love knowing we'll be back soon so no need to "do it all;" we like always having a vacation planned that we can be looking forward to.

An obvious thing I didn't realize I'd appreciate so much is how the vacation is now mostly paid for in advance. I don't have to wait and see what my bonus is going to be and what discounts were available before I can decide if we will be able to stay 6 nights in a deluxe resort.

I think how it's changed me the most though is that now I plan ahead. Before we'd wait until bonus time or until we just couldn't stand it anymore, and then we'd plan a trip for the next available time we could go. Now we are planning a year or more in advance. We haven't always been able to do that, and never thought we would be able to or would even want to, but it's great!

We use Disney as a great vacation spot with access to entertainment if we decide to venture into a park. After years of doing Disney, the honeymoon is over and the need to do the parks every vacation is over. We sleep in, eat when we want, where we want and will visit a park during low attendance time if we feel like it..

:earsboy: Bill

My wife and I decided on DVC for two reasons. The first is that it helps us budget for Disney vacations by paying our lodging fees up front through DVC. The second is that it's something we can potentially leave to our son for a few years (we had him when we were older, so I'll be 92 when our Aulani contract expires).

I like that we can bring friends (every other trip we bring another family or friends and get a 2 bedroom at AKV) and until this last trip I enjoyed the relaxing nature of the trips. I still enjoy relaxing, but now that my son is 8 he's non-stop!!! For the first time in 10 years of owning I needed a vacation from my vacation!!

Still, I love having laundry, a full kitchen and groceries, and the knowledge that we'll be back so it's okay to do less.

Why did you choose DVC? What made it different than other options?
Congrats and I'm wishing you smooth sailing through ROFR and closing.

We choose DVC because we were already addicted to the timeshare way of travel: the larger units, full kitchen and in-room laundry. We needed, for work purposes, an option that was within walking distance of the Conference Centers near Epcot at the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club and Boardwalk. DVC was the only timeshare that met that criteria.

Edited to add: As for your thread title, I will say that timesharing has certainly changed us. We are spoiled rotten by the amenities and don't particularly enjoy hotels except for the rare, special, crazy upgrades (Ritz Carlton in Lisbon: I'm looking at you; you were crazy good!).

...,,..the research and planning are enjoyable breaks from my work)

I totally agree with this, planning the next trip is pure escapism, in fact, cue the music...,,,,
From nine till five I have to spend my time at work
The job is very boring, I'm an office clerk
The only thing that helps pass the time away
Is knowing I'll be back at WDW some day

DVC will change you, but TIME will change you more. Your daughter is at a good age for DVC, you should get a lot of good use out of it before time changes things - and you can't travel due to her activities. Or your kids decide they like ski vacations or want to do museums.

We chose DVC going on twenty years ago because we also wanted the fairly easy enforced vacation with our young kids - they were 3 and 4. We wanted them to sleep in a different room. We discovered we liked having breakfast - real breakfast, not Pop Tarts - in the room and the washer dryer turned out to be a godsend. But we bought only enough points for every other year, which worked great for us - because the kids also got to Europe and Mexico and Australia and California and Washington DC - and sit on a beach, and go camping. As they got older, Disney became less of a regular vacation for us - my son did prefer the beach, and my daughter will take a museum over a theme park any day - plus activities, school trips, jobs, summer camp commitments all reduced our ability to travel. We are going probably four years between WDW trips again - using points at HHI this Winter.

I'm glad we did it, but I'm REALLY glad I didn't catch addonitis and kept my Disney at a casual use level.

I totally agree with this, planning the next trip is pure escapism, in fact, cue the music...,,,,
From nine till five I have to spend my time at work
The job is very boring, I'm an office clerk
The only thing that helps pass the time away
Is knowing I'll be back at WDW some day
WDW far away in time...

Congratulations on deciding to become part of the DVC family. I hope you have smooth sailing through ROFR and closing, yes it can be stressful waiting. I hope you will soon be enjoying your first visit to your home resort as DVC members.

We have been DVC members for 20 years now and I still love it. I'm a life long Disney fan and I hope I always will be. We usually only travel once a year so as not to get Disney burnout.

I first discovered DVC when I stayed at BWV with my mom, two sisters, DD and friend. We had a great view of the Swan shell fountains, at night they were lit up and the water was flowing, very pretty. The room was amazing, the first time I experienced this type of room at WDW. We had two bedrooms, full kitchen, laundry, two baths, it was great.

From that point I started investigating DVC, after about 1-2 years of research I finally convinced my DH that this was the right way for us to go. We used to go to WDW staying at Contemporary, Poly or GF which were pretty expensive so buying into DVC in the long run would and has saved us a bunch of money.
I used to do the parks commando style which caused my son not to like WDW very much. We no longer do the commando thing, if we don't get to do something this trip we can always do it the next time round. There is no more pressure to do it all.

I have always been a planner so that aspect of DVC has never been an issue for me. My DH and I were empty nesters when we bought our first contract, since that time we have added on three times. I live in NJ so we usually travel in Jan/Feb to get away from the cold weather, DVC works out perfectly for us.
Someone said they plan to leave their DVC to their children, I will do that too. I will be about 92 when my contract runs out, hopefully I will still be enjoying my DVC. ;)

Enjoy! pixiedust:

DVC is such a great choice so congratulations! We bought in fairly early (missed the free park tixs though) in 1996 when our son was 8 years old. We had made many trips to WDW, but when we stayed at POP in a claustrophobic room, my husband and I decided to dive in at OKW. We have bought and sold (for tidy profits) and bought more over the years. We've stayed all over WDW, Vero and Hilton Head and love the change of scenery. We exchanged for points on a trip to London and stayed at a hotel next to Kensington Palace that we could never have afforded (we were the poorest people there without a Bentley). I can't live without the W/D and kitchen LOL. Our son and bride love all things Disney too and will join us next week for a Halloween stay which is our favorite time of year and we do love F & W. We all know our way around and we can all have down time or meet up spur of the moment for dinner. We will leave this wonderful legacy to our children. Our family has changed, but we still love visiting our second home!

My DD2 being so young definitely helps my decision making process. I recently had the chance to visit a long time friend in Beijing - an absolutely amazing trip for a Southern US Girl. It's a trip I longed for in my 20s - but now, with a little one at home, I found my priorities had changed. I loved that trip, but I would much rather repeat a vacation with my little one than go to a far away place without her.

We just took a train to DC, which I hope to do again, and I want to take her to New York and London as well. But those are for when she is older, when maybe I rent my points to cover a different type of vacation.

I am excited about being able to walk through Epcot and go to the countries, stand in line for sweets in the French bakery, watch the little shows we always miss. We went to WDW several times, but as the parks grew what used to be 2 parks and a water park in 5 days has now become impossible. It's such a fast paced vacation I want to slow down and enjoy it. I want to play in the sand, stand at the water bouncing things at Epcot that I enjoyed so much when I was little, and let her swim in the pool and go down the slide. I also want to stay at the Poly so I can finally go down the slide I was too small for in the 80s!

It's been a busy, stressful year, and this honestly brings me so much joy I can't describe it. It's not just the rides - it's the whole concept of a vacation I want to have. I have LONG stayed away from timeshares, but this timeshare is perfect for me and my little family.

Keep the stories coming - it's great reading!

Five years ago, I could never imagine going to WDW every year, wanting a kitchen, or doing laundry on vacation.
The kitchen and laundry facilities are among the best points of DVC. I get that people don't want to spend vacation time in the kitchen, but having a stocked fridge with some items that can be warmed in the microwave is a time and money saver.

Same deal with the laundry, you don't have to pack so many clothes, and it's not like you're going to be washing & folding laundry for hours. Throw the stuff in the machine and go to the park, you take care of it when you return.

We chose DVC in 1992 to force a couple of severe workaholics into vacationing at least once per year. We actually started our Disney journey as young teenagers when MK opened and visited every year thereafter. Disney Vacation Club (aka OKW) was just too good to pass up. Our twins were 5 years old and those villas looked like heaven to us. We added on over the years and we've also sold some over the years. But I will say this...some will say their kids outgrew WDW and yes, that's probably true for awhile. High school sports, different interests, the quest for different vacations, ski clubs etc etc....BUT....after awhile it all comes back again and then grandchildren start another story. It's been a journey.

We chose DVC in 1992 to force a couple of severe workaholics into vacationing at least once per year. We actually started our Disney journey as young teenagers when MK opened and visited every year thereafter. Disney Vacation Club (aka OKW) was just too good to pass up. Our twins were 5 years old and those villas looked like heaven to us. We added on over the years and we've also sold some over the years. But I will say this...some will say their kids outgrew WDW and yes, that's probably true for awhile. High school sports, different interests, the quest for different vacations, ski clubs etc etc....BUT....after awhile it all comes back again and then grandchildren start another story. It's been a journey.
I love your story - so much like ours. You DID get the free park tickets? Yes, there is a gap during high school, college and grad school (about 10 years) where we went as a couple and did mostly resort stays to save money for those huge expenses. When our son was getting serious with a lovely young women, we sent them to WDW for a week and now they are married (mission accomplished) and have visited as a couple. Next week, we treat them for a week - just show up LOL! So much fun and so many priceless (it's only money) memories! Our DVC is pretty awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter