DVC cracking down on point rentals...

MissMet

DIS Veteran
I just got off the phone with DVC to make a reservation. I got a very friendly and informative CM. While she was setting up my reservation, I commented on how busy the value season has become in DVC & how hard it is to get anything other than SSR & OKW at the 7 month mark. Her answer was really surprising & very informative, but it doesn't sound like good news for a lot of DVCers.

She told me that a lot of the DVC members (especially the owners of BCV & BWV) book many different reservations in their 11 month window to rent out. She said how that was frowned upon by DVC for many reasons. She said that because they do this it causes all the other DVC members with different home resorts to have trouble booking because everything is filled up. Then when those DVC members can't rent out the trip they booked, they cancel last minute, causing DVC a lot of headaches. DVC's rules on point renting has many loopholes. The contract only really states that you can't rent points as a business, so Disney cannot take legal action on DVC members renting out points. However, they can make it near impossible to do so and that's what it seems they're starting to do. She told me that she just got a memo stating all the new rules on booking to reduce point renting. The only rule she told me is that now when you book your reservation, you must give the names of the people staying in the rooms- that way you can only make a reservation for people you know or at least you will have to wait until you get a renter to make the reservation. This rule has already started when you make more than one room reservation (i.e. 2 studios). I don't know when all this is going to start to take place but it doesn't sound good.

I know this may be bad news to many people but please don't kill the messenger.:scared1: She just told me this on the phone today so I figured I'd give a little heads up. :confused3

I can't say I blame DVC. Being a new member who has yet to go on his first DVC trip, I have to say that while I look forward to staying at my home resort, I know that DW & I are going to want to try out the other resorts. If they are not available because of the reasons the OP mentioned, I would be a lil ticked. Yes I know nothing is set in stone availabilty wise outside of the 11 month window for your home resort, but part of the reason to be in a timeshare is to enjoy the other locations the plan provides.

But thats just me. Worst case scenario, we are always staying at VWL and then maybe SSR or OKW

Interesting to hear this. I wonder what would be in place to stop people from making up names and then changing them closer to the check-in, or giving only a few names you know for sure and then adding or subtracting more later? This sounds like an adminstrative nightmare for the CMs and DVC to me.

Now it makes sense ... I just booked my first ressie last week for Aug. at OKW and wondered why they asked me the names of those staying in the unit. I just became a DVC member last week so just assumed this was the way things always worked.

Thanks for the update!

Now it makes sense ... I just booked my first ressie last week for Aug. at OKW and wondered why they asked me the names of those staying in the unit. I just became a DVC member last week so just assumed this was the way things always worked.

Thanks for the update!

They have been asking since I joined in December(already on my 4th reservation!)

This policy has been maintained for months now for DVC and even longer for cash reservation thru CRO , so I don't really think it is related to DVC rentals at all- probably more for security reasons.

Now, if DVC requires the names/addresses/phone numbers of all guests at the time of the reservation and then insists on cancelling and rebooking in order to make any changes later, then I'd assume that would be rental related.

Interesting to hear this. I wonder what would be in place to stop people from making up names and then changing them closer to the check-in, or giving only a few names you know for sure and then adding or subtracting more later?

There have already been reports of some members receiving letters from DVC stating that they exceeded a certain threshold of reservations in a year (I believe 20+). From what I've heard, the letter restates the rules against commercial rentals and threatens to cancel reservations.

I assume that folks receiving these letters will then appear on some sort of "watch list" and that their activity will fall under greater scrutiny. When making reservations in another's name, DVC is asking for the guest names, addresses and phone numbers. It would be relatively simple for DVC to attempt to contact the guests at the phone number provided. An inability to establish contact (in other words, a phony name / address / phone) could result in immediate cancelation of the reservation.

If DVC really does have reason to be watching this and only a small number of members are raising concerns, it wouldn't be very time-consuming to take steps like this to confirm that rules are not being violated.

This policy has been maintained for months now for DVC and even longer for cash reservation thru CRO , so I don't really think it is related to DVC rentals at all- probably more for security reasons.

Now, if DVC requires the names/addresses/phone numbers of all guests at the time of the reservation and then insists on cancelling and rebooking in order to make any changes later, then I'd assume that would be rental related.

I called MS and spoke to supervisor for confirmation re this situation 2 weeks ago...

DS wanted a ressie booked for January; but is unsure of whether his work schedule will permit a vacation to be approved - wouldn't know until a month or so prior.

MS said I or anyone else could be placed on the ressie in his stead if he needs to cancel (supervisor even used the term 'rent it out')...as long as they have the info before checkin - no problem whatsoever!

Have a gut feeling enforcement of any such rule would depend on how many 'rentals' a member typically makes in a given year.

Personally, haven't been in the situation of having left-over points yet that I couldn't bank, however, it seems the easier road to take (& probably most profitable) would be to book a ressie @ a popular time & rent it out?:confused3 As MS stated "...they're your points, use them however you wish...".

Yes, it was another factor for us in deciding which resort to buy/add-on.

I was just going to say that when i was reading OPs thread, What is stopping the Dvc member just putting the ressies in their name and then when they found a renter just calling and changing the names, and making up a stories why they had to make the name changes. I think DVC should have a rule like,
DVC members can book ressies in their names and they can add or cancel a name that is already on the ressies without penalty. If the member makes a ressies in their name and changes the name on the ressies to a different last name then the ressies should be canceled and start all over for availabilty.

I called MS and spoke to supervisor for confirmation re this situation 2 weeks ago...

DS wanted a ressie booked for January; but is unsure of whether his work schedule will permit a vacation to be approved - wouldn't know until a month or so prior.

MS said I or anyone else could be placed on the ressie in his stead if he needs to cancel (supervisor even used the term 'rent it out')...as long as they have the info before checkin - no problem whatsoever!

Have a gut feeling enforcement of any such rule would depend on how many 'rentals' a member typically makes in a given year.

Personally, haven't been in the situation of having left-over points yet that I couldn't bank, however, it seems the easier road to take (& probably most profitable) would be to book a ressie @ a popular time & rent it out?:confused3 As MS stated "...they're your points, use them however you wish...".

Yes, it was another factor for us in deciding which resort to buy/add-on.

Well, the only thing I can think of is that that was two weeks ago.

I called this morning & made a 2 bedroom reservation & they only asked for my name. When I called back later to change my reservation to 2 studios is when she needed everyone staying's info. When I commented about not needing to give all the info earlier is when she said, "I just got a memo..." From the sounds of that, I think this is somewhat new.

You do give everyone's info when making a reservation if you're booking ME &/or DDE as well. I did not book either of those so they only needed my name until I changed it to two studios- then they wanted everyone's info.

I read earlier on one of the Dis forums that when another member called & mentioned her reservation was for a renter she got chewed out. I don't think the ban is in FULL affect but I think that they are cracking down on people who rent pretty regularly. As I was told, yes it is our timeshare & we do "own" it but when we purchased into the timeshare we did sign a paper saying that we would not use DVC for profit & that's what renting is. Yes, you can OCCASIONALLY "rent" your points to your brother or mom or friend if you don't need them but what they don't like is when members go on websites advertising renting their(i.e ebay, DIS, etc.).

This is what I was told TODAY buy a CM. :confused3

Remember, too, that the Public Offering Statement requires owners to notify MS if they are renting out the reservation.

I think I speak for many people here, including myself, when I say this is GOOD news!!! :thumbsup2

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom to occassionally rent when in a pinch, or in a temporary hardship (though I never have). I just don't like the abuse I see all too often. :smokin:

MG

DVC members can book ressies in their names and they can add or cancel a name that is already on the ressies without penalty. If the member makes a ressies in their name and changes the name on the ressies to a different last name then the ressies should be canceled and start all over for availabilty.

Whoa... that could create a LOT of problems! What if I decide to take a family trip and book a couple of rooms, then my sister decides not to come but my dad takes her place. He has a different last name than she does, so you're saying my other room should be canceled? Not cool! There are just too many variations of families, multi-generational travel groups and friends taking trips together to make blanket rules like that.

Whoa... that could create a LOT of problems! What if I decide to take a family trip and book a couple of rooms, then my sister decides not to come but my dad takes her place. He has a different last name than she does, so you're saying my other room should be canceled? Not cool! There are just too many variations of families, multi-generational travel groups and friends taking trips together to make blanket rules like that.

Yeah, exactly!!

There's a fine line to walk here....Sure, I don't want DVC to be used for rentals for commercial use. BUT, I want to be able enjoy it myself with family and friends, and considering how far in advance one must book, a little flexibility is in order!

I have booked rooms for my sisters and put both our names on the ressie. I read the post about two rooms max per name, but two will cover most situations. Especially if I have two, then put two more in my wife's name. If you have a huge family gathering, I would bet MS will make exceptions, or have an alternate way of handling it. :smokin:

MG

We've only been members since '05; but I've been asked for all occupants names every time i've booked (before DP & not using ME)...no biggie for me to list who's going to be in the room. Frankly, for security reasons; i'd like to see ALL occupants provide a photo id @ check-in, renters and owners alike.:thumbsup2

Now, if MS suddenly pulls a rabbit out of their hat wherein you cannot delete or add an occupant to a ressie that was booked @ 11 month mark, that would be a trick on the average, non-commercial renter.popcorn::

I'm not worried about repercussions as to changing names on a booked ressie TBD in the future (especially since i've only "rented" to immediate family;) )...and if I do have to rent out any of my meager allotment of points to virtual strangers, i'll take my chances w/booking @ home resort/11 months prior in order to move them...doubt that i'd make much of a ripple since i'd be utilizing the same block/time slot of DVC anyway:confused3 .

We've only been members since '05; but I've been asked for all occupants names every time i've booked (before DP & not using ME)...no biggie for me to list who's going to be in the room. Frankly, for security reasons; i'd like to see ALL occupants provide a photo id @ check-in, renters and owners alike.:thumbsup2

IMO that would be a poor decision.

What happens if some of your party arrives at 9am and others at 10pm? For that matter, why should every member of the party have to make an appearance at the front desk rather than just one person to claim the keys?

Also to clarify, yes, they have always asked for all of the names of the guests. With this new change (which went into effect right after the new year), DVC is now requiring addresses and phone numbers of guests. While there will probably be some degree of inconsistency by MS reps, that is the official policy. It was detailed in the January 10th issue of the Vacation Magic email newsletter:

"Vacation Magic E-mail Update has learned of a new policy affecting vacation reservations for Members' Guests.

Effective immediately, Members making vacation reservations for a Guest through Member Services must provide Member Services with the Guest's name, address and phone number."

Now, if MS suddenly pulls a rabbit out of their hat wherein you cannot delete or add an occupant to a ressie that was booked @ 11 month mark, that would be a trick on the average, non-commercial renter.popcorn::

For the sake of anyone reading this, I just want to stress that DVC does not have a policy prohibiting the changing of guest names on a reservation. Any discussion of such a change is purely speculative.

...and if I do have to rent out any of my meager allotment of points to virtual strangers, i'll take my chances w/booking @ home resort/11 months prior in order to move them...doubt that i'd make much of a ripple since i'd be utilizing the same block/time slot of DVC anyway:confused3 .

Personally I don't see the logic in doing that. In pre-booking a room you are limiting your market to people who are seeking the exact resort, room size AND dates that you've chosen. The only upside is that you MIGHT be able to get another dollar or two if you book a small resort for high-demand dates. But people renting points aren't known for advance planning and I think the room could sit unrented for well over 6 months. If you can't find a renter for some reason, then the reservation is cancelled and you start all over again.

By comparison, if you simply post that you have X points available for any reservation thru X date, you have a potential market of hundreds of members and non-members looking to stay at any resort, any room size, any dates for months to come. Those points could be rented in days with the money in-hand.

Nothing really new here and no real deterrent. This is the key portion from the OP:
The contract only really states that you can't rent points as a business, so Disney cannot take legal action on DVC members renting out points. However, they can make it near impossible to do so and that's what it seems they're starting to do.
Anything they might try to do will likely hurt members overall more than those renting.

Maybe I'm missing the boat here.... I've been asked, for the last 2/3 years, to list all occupants in the room and their ages. How is this different now? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter