DVC cracking down on point rentals...

Personally I don't see the logic in doing that. In pre-booking a room you are limiting your market to people who are seeking the exact resort, room size AND dates that you've chosen. The only upside is that you MIGHT be able to get another dollar or two if you book a small resort for high-demand dates. But people renting points aren't known for advance planning and I think the room could sit unrented for well over 6 months. If you can't find a renter for some reason, then the reservation is cancelled and you start all over again.

By comparison, if you simply post that you have X points available for any reservation thru X date, you have a potential market of hundreds of members and non-members looking to stay at any resort, any room size, any dates for months to come. Those points could be rented in days with the money in-hand.
I think Tim's logic here is right on target for people who only rent occasionally.

However, it's a pretty well-established fact that commercial renters do, in fact, book multiple ressies at certain resorts during peak times. When you are in the business of renting points, I guess you have a different mindset than someone with 75 points they're not going to use this year.

Also, the commercial renters are not renting for a dollar a point more -- they're renting for 40-50% higher than rentals here on the DIS, and one reason they can get those prices is they have prime time ressies already locked up at a time when last-minute vacationers can't get anything. Even paying $15 per point or more, the person renting the ressie is saving money.

I don't have a problem with people renting -- even with people renting a lot -- but I do think DVC should do more to protect owners of the smaller resorts from speculative bookings. I really think it devalues ownership in a place like BCV.

IMO that would be a poor decision.

What happens if some of your party arrives at 9am and others at 10pm? For that matter, why should every member of the party have to make an appearance at the front desk rather than just one person to claim the keys?

quote]

Why? It would help to insure that the adults who are listed on the ressie are indeed, the people occupying the room. The few times I had occasion to visit the desk late in the evening, it was rather deserted, don't think it's unreasonable to ask for verification.

Think DVC needs to check all adult ids before handing out room keys, we live in a scary world. Would be nice to know that they have a handle on who has access to the buildings via who is alloted a key card.

Not that I expect them to screen guests for threat potential, just think any extra level of security is a good move/detriment. (fyi, my middle DS is a police officer - you'd be amazed @ the stuff that people try to pull @ resorts to ruin it for others).

Veering slight :offtopic: Also, the practice would prevent members booking phantom children on DP & using credits for adults (although not sure if Disney has started to enforce the DP credit allocation - hope so!)

If I as a member make a reservation for family members to go when I go, I'll have a reservation in my name for the same time. Commercial renters don't have reservations in their own name for the same time as their renters. That's a good clue to Disney. If you never go when your "guests" go, you are probably a commercial renter.

I know some members will send family members on a trip without going with them. But I would think that would be the exception to the rule, rather than the standard procedure.

Why? It would help to insure that the adults who are listed on the ressie are indeed, the people occupying the room. The few times I had occasion to visit the desk late in the evening, it was rather deserted, don't think it's unreasonable to ask for verification.

Think DVC needs to check all adult ids before handing out room keys, we live in a scary world. Would be nice to know that they have a handle on who has access to the buildings via who is alloted a key card.

Not that I expect them to screen guests for threat potential, just think any extra level of security is a good move/detriment. (fyi, my middle DS is a police officer - you'd be amazed @ the stuff that people try to pull @ resorts to ruin it for others).

I have one BIL that is a sherrif's deputy and another with the FBI. I still don't get the relevance here. What beast are we fighting? Terrorists could Photoshop a fake ID that would pass muster with a Disney CM.

This seems like a terrible inconvenience to me, regardless of the time of day or number of people involved.

Who is this group of people holding Disney resort keys that you think wouldn't be able to produce a photo ID? What harm are they doing that would be corrected with mandatory ID checks of all guests?

Veering slight :offtopic: Also, the practice would prevent members booking phantom children on DP & using credits for adults (although not sure if Disney has started to enforce the DP credit allocation - hope so!)

That problem was corrected in January. Adult and child credits are tracked separately.

I have one BIL that is a sherrif's deputy and another with the FBI. I still don't get the relevance here. What beast are we fighting? Terrorists could Photoshop a fake ID that would pass muster with a Disney CM.

This seems like a terrible inconvenience to me, regardless of the time of day or number of people involved.

Who is this group of people holding Disney resort keys that you think wouldn't be able to produce a photo ID? What harm are they doing that would be corrected with mandatory ID checks of all guests?

That problem was corrected in January. Adult and child credits are tracked separately.

heck, you trump me; but i'll raise you an AIFL coach...

not talking weapons of mass destruction, moreso along the line of petty theft, assult...as in a renter (with nothing to lose as to room damages either) having a house party of sorts and who knows who will get the resort id/access to building.

if the above scenario would happen, at least there's some chance for law enforcement to interview 'witnesses', etc.; since their names would be on the ressie/in the system.

What is considered an inconvenience to some, is a feeling of extra security to others and possibly a detriment to a crime being committed.

IMO, I don't think Disney will get that strict. I think all these new rules that are supposed to be starting are more for the commercial renters. The ones who have maybe 400 points but only use 200 a year & rent out the other 200 EVERY year. Disney says themselves that you can "rent out" to family & friends, they just frown upon renting for profit.

I do feel that they need to get a little more strict to stop the commercial renters but still stay a little lenient to members who really can't go one year & will lose their points if they don't. I hope Disney can find that happy medium. But something definitely has to be done.

For example, I have never stayed at BC. I'm dying to but I've never been able to get a room. Then I go on ebay or DIS & see tons of listings for BC. The thought that me, as a DVC member, would have to rent out my points so then I could turn around and then rent a BC villa is absurd. I couldn't buy into BC when they were available. Financially it would have been tight, being that I was 16 when they started selling & the local grocery store didn't pay THAT well. ;) Yes, I could have bought thru resale but I'm young- those extra years I got with going with SSR are really important to me. So what do I do. If I knew that I would not be able to stay anywhere but my home resort (which I'm NOT a fan of-thank God for AKV) I probably wouldn't have bought.

There has to be a happy medium. If Disney doesn't put their foot down a little it will end up hurting them.

I know no one would like it if all of us AKV owners rented out all the rooms leaving all the other DVC members to never be able to get a room there.

It goes both ways. I'm a fan of being able to rent out my points if I was ever in the situation where I couldn't use all of my points- which I never see happening, but I also want to have to opportunity to stay in other DVC resorts- that's the reason I bought into DVC instead of a "traditional" timeshare.

I don't know what the answer is, but all I know is that if any company can find a happy medium, it's Disney.
Does that mean you would have bought them at 16?

Exactly. Most people renting have no idea of the 11 month concept. They are looking for a spur of the moment trip, usually two to five months
in advance.
I think that has shifted significantly with more people looking for higher demand options much earlier and non uncommonly, things that would require day by day reservations 11 months out.

While not necessarily a popular stance her on DIS, DVC's definition of a rental is where ANY compensation is received. This could be direct or indirect such as buying dinner for the group.

If Disney is looking for a way to cut down on renting I dont think this is it.

The small units are just that, small. I'm sure owners are making multiple reservations for their own benefit and not just for commercial purposes. Lets say I love my BCV...If I wasnt sure when my vacation would fall and I had the points and the time to do it I might bag two or more reservations at 11 months just so I could be half way certain I'd get to stay at the resort when I knew for sure. I might then hang on to the extra reservation thinking maybe I might rent it.

A smarter approach might be to change the contract so that Disney could buy it back at will...not just as a ROFR. You wouldn't be able to impact the current ownership but over time people would sell their contracts and the new members would get the new rules. That way it'd be easy to eliminate someone Disney feels is a commerical renter. Of course THAT approach might harm sales.

:rolleyes1
As a BWV regular, I am happy to provide full information for every guest at the time of booking. I always book 11 months out and I always know who plans on coming with me. If the information changes by a guest, no one will care. It isn't that taxing for member services to make a change or two.
I am not a fan of renting, and have no problem with helping other DVCers to get a shot at using the rooms at my resort instead of people who have no investment in DVC.

... Then when those DVC members can't rent out the trip they booked, they cancel last minute, causing DVC a lot of headaches...

I wonder if this comment represents the proverbial nail on the head that precipitated DVC's announcements and actions about renting.

If Disney wants to encourage spec rentals:

Allow only a few (two?) "name changes" on reservations per year without the member travelling. This will cover most people for "I suddenly need to cancel my trip" but discourage people making many spec reservations.

and/or

Allow name changes, provided the member travels at the same time. This takes care of the "inviting friends, but not sure who is coming at eleven months" problem. This may need to be further limited at certain times of year (like pool hopping is) - i.e. perhaps between October and January 3rd at the Epcot area resorts you'll only get two of these, then you'll need to cancel and go to the end of the waitlist.

If we are going to make reservations for people not travelling with us, its going to be some sort of gift. That means we are going to know whom is travelling when we make the reservations.

If we are making reservations for ourselves and are going to invite others, its possible we won't know the adds until later - but we will be there.

I know. So was mine. I'm the most sarcastic guy I know.

Wow. I'm not use to people getting my sarcasm, especially on a forum. :woohoo:

Well, good thing you're a guy, 'cause I've been told I'm the most sarcastic girl anyone knows. hehehe Just kidding.

Actually, my mom & brother compare me to Leah Remini. Which I don't think is totally accurate, but they insist. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter