DVC HELP - Buy direct CCVC or resale ... that is the question

We have to stay in a 2-bedroom due to our family size. How is that in availability at the 7 month or less mark?
Not as good as 1 beds unfortunately. Partly because not many, and partly because a lot are lock offs and when the studio is booked, there's only a 1 bed left.

The Boardwalk Villas are all 2 bedroom lock-off units, so once the studios gone so are the 2 bedroom units. Also, the Poly only has studios or the high point Bungalows.

The Boardwalk Villas are all 2 bedroom lock-off units, so once the studios gone so are the 2 bedroom units. Also, the Poly only has studios or the high point Bungalows.

Which resorts have the most 2 bedroom dedicated? Maybe I need to look at that as a home resort?

If you purchase direct you can talk to your guide about a "welcome home" booking, which means MS can help you book your first trip (depending on availability). We bought CCV direct in December and knew we had a trip coming up in May, and when I called they were able to book the nights we wanted even though the RAT didn't show availability on points. I believe there are some terms related to that booking so you'd probably want to ask to understand fully. Afterwards, we bought more points resale at older resorts since there is significant savings for those versus direct. Buying resale does take quite a while longer (months versus getting points same day direct) and you need to be prepared for the time and patience it takes to do it, but it can be worth it to save thousands of dollars.

We were staying at CCV in a 1BR when we bought and knew we wanted to buy CCV specifically because we loved it. We value the longer contract and like the point chart. If you don't value the longer contract because you wouldn't do Disney trips without your kids, then the contract length doesn't matter quite as much (we've been going to Disney together for years before having kids and want to continue after the kids go away to school). Also, if you don't want to specifically stay at CCV often over the years or can't book 11 months out, a cheaper resale contract at a different home resort would probably make more sense since at 7 months out, home resort priority doesn't matter anymore.

Another approach is you could buy around half the points you want direct at CCV and half at another lower cost home resort resale. Then you could bank/borrow and alternate contracts to book your annual trip. We bought direct CCV points with the intention of using them every other year during the holidays to stay there, and cheaper SSR resale points to play around with and book where we can at 7 months since over time we'd like to stay at all the resorts. We bought enough points for 1BRs and 2BRs so we're generally not trying to use those points for high demand studios, which can be more challenging.

If you're not sure about resale versus direct definitely do some more research and decide on the best approach for you! There isn't a rush to buy CCV direct since they still have plenty of points to sell, and the important thing is to make a knowledge-based decision you'll be satisfied with for your family.

We do not need lock-off 2-bedroom so do you find it hard to book 2-bedroom at or after the 7 month mark? Which resorts have you found to have the most 2-bedroom available?

I don't know the break down of units at each resort, but I'm sure you can find it here on Disboards.

We just stay at BCV last week in a 2 bedroom that I booked at the 7 month mark, lucky we went from Thursday to Wednesday and didn't need to book the marathon weekend. If there is a marathon during the time you need to book, chances are that you will need to book it at the 11 month mark, or work around it.

When we look at the RAT we cannot see how many units remain at any given time.

SSR and OKW have the most 2BR dedicated units by a long shot. BWV and Poly have none.

We do not need lock-off 2-bedroom so do you find it hard to book 2-bedroom at or after the 7 month mark? Which resorts have you found to have the most 2-bedroom available?

If you're booking at or after the 7 month mark, then the cheapest resort resale (SSR) would likely be your best bet since home resort priority doesn't make a difference at that point. You should have a better chance of booking a dedicated 2 bedroom at SSR, OKW, and AKV Kidani since they are larger and have more units. Depending on time of year you may be able to book other resorts as well, but when traveling in the fall the earlier you can book the better since it's such a busy DVC season.

There's no problem using a lockoff 2 BR as long as you don't need the second regular bed. As long as you're flexible as you've stated, you should be fine. Say you buy SSR, reserve at 11 months, then try for other things at 7 months out and wait list for your top one or 2 choices if needed. With this method you can get about anything as least some of the time. There are some items that will not be consistently accessible with this method like AKV value. If you must have a dedicated 2 BR, that will likely pose a problem.

You're still talking about Sept trips, yes? SSR, OKW and AKV all have 2BR's still available for at least a week and we are well within the 7 month window. At 7 months there would have been more, at least early in the month. Once Food and Wine starts then bookings start getting tighter. As mentioned if you were to buy the most economical - SSR - and book at 11 months and then try and switch and 7 months you should have pretty good luck staying at most resorts in a 2BR - especially in Sept.

If you aren't going to book in the 11-7 month window then home resort doesn't matter.

Not good.

Realistically, if you cannot plan 7 months out or more, DVC is not a good product for you. If you're okay with risk, buying Saratoga Springs and understanding that if you book after 7 months in fall you may not get a unit, and balance of year you may mostly be at Saratoga, that may work. But keep in mind that fall is DVC high season, and DVC demand basically aligns to lowest points season = highest booking demand, and least supply after 7 months (and sometimes before).

Use Year. I would do a LOT of research before buying, and learn about Use Year, banking deadlines, borrowing, 11/7 month windows, rule of 3 and all that. The DVC Resource Center here is a good starting point.
Thank you!!

From mid-Sept through the Marathon in January, other Run Disney event weekends, holidays, spring break, you may have a hard time finding something at seven months out. If you can't book at seven months out and book even a shorter time out, you will be constantly disappointed. Studios are usually booked first, then two bedroom villas. One bedroom villas are usually the last to book since they often sleep the same number as a studio (or fewer) and require almost twice as many points as the studio. We have booked non-home resorts (one bedroom villas) occasionally at seven months out, but those stays are going to be in early June, early May.

I have a resale related question and not sure it needs its own thread, so I am going to put it here.

If you buy resale for a WDW resort can you use those point at the 7 months window at Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Grand Californian or Aulani?

Thanks

I have a resale related question and not sure it needs its own thread, so I am going to put it here.

If you buy resale for a WDW resort can you use those point at the 7 months window at Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Grand Californian or Aulani?

Thanks
yes

Thanks

Those are all DVC resorts, so, yes.

Those are all DVC resorts, so, yes.

That is what I thought. A family member was talking to a DVC sales rep and said they were told they would not be able to use the points elsewhere if they bought resale. I did not think that sounded correct.

That is what I thought. A family member was talking to a DVC sales rep and said they were told they would not be able to use the points elsewhere if they bought resale. I did not think that sounded correct.

All owners can book at any of the DVC resorts. All owners can trade into the World Collection which is RCI.

Newly purchased points thru resale cannot trade thru the Disney collection (Disney cruiseline, Adventures by Disney and Disney hotels) or thru the Concierge Collection.

This has been a common statement by sales the last couple of years but it's not true. While DVC sales reps are above average, timeshares sales people are notorious for twisting the truth and frank lying.

Thanks
Now, getting anything non-home at seven months might be the issue. Every location has their tough times to book at seven or fewer months out. If staying somewhere is really important, it pays to own there and book it during the home resort advantage time. Don't buy any of those (except maybe Grand Cal) unless you really want to stay there most of the time. Seven months out booking is getting harder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter