DVC OWNER NO REFUND

It could potentially be in the documents she signed when she first became an employee....?

For DVC? I don’t think so. I also think we would all have had to been informed as we are joint owners.

Maybe that is the difference? All I know is nothing we have relating to our purchase limits our ability to rent points.

If you got a cm discount, you/she signed a page or section regarding cm discounts and restrictions.
It could potentially be in the documents she signed when she first became an employee....?
We bought with CM discount in 1999, 2002, & 2004, and none had any rider for CM limitations. or restrictions (i didn't even receive a letter as Dean mentioned above, for any of the 3 contracts).
A friend bought in 2007 with her CM discount, & did have to sign a rider detailing limitations if she decided to sell it (there may have been more limitations. but i honestly don't recall).

lol. Of course she would win a chargeback. There are tons of posts on the David’s rental page that say credit card companies rule in favor of the consumer because they purchased a product (accommodations) that was not delivered through no fault of the buyer.

these are people that paid 8-11 months prior to the reservation

OP: seriously consider a chargeback....
Others have already said PayPal wouldn't help because their buyer protection doesn't cover timeshare rentals.
Not sure what would happen with a CC.
In the contract I use to rent my points, I write that I rent the points to be used for a certain reservation. Then I write that there is no refund for any reason but I would assist in trying to rebook in case of cancellations.
So for the money of the rental it's like I transfer the ownership of the points to the renter.
Would a CC charge me back if the renter cannot use the points?

During this crisis I had points rented out. I have first rescheduled the reservation for 2 renters (twice for one of the two). Then re-rented the points for a lower price, agreeing with them how much to lower the price. The new renter first booked for July but couldn't go to Orlando because of Florida quarantine rules so I rebooked them too for November, booking SSR and creating a waitlist for BWV that later matched.
It was a lot of work, but at the end the original renters got around 85% back and the new renter has a reservation for BWV in the fall. Everyone should be reasonably content with the outcome.
But at no point I would have given money back myself and I don't think it would be fair to ask for it. Like Dean said, renting DVC points means getting a big discount in exchange for lack of flexibility and higher risks. Pretending the discount without accepting the risk is not reasonable (not saying this is what the OP is doing, their situation is a bit different because the owner is not replying to their emails).

This was the fundamental question at the center of a long debate in the early days of the "Davids" thread.

Are you renting specific points and the renter can only use them until they expire? Or is the renter paying for the accommodations reserved using those points and still owed compensation even if the points expire because they didn't get the accommodations?

Before the closures, it was generally understood to be the former. The non-refundable status of contracts ensured that owners still got paid, even if the renter cancelled. So points expiring wasn't an issue because the owner was paid for them either way.

Then all DVC resorts closed for months. Renters couldn't go even though THEY didn't cancel, and things got murkier in terms of whether the renter was still due a reservation regardless of the status of the owner's points.

Not every private owner blindly follows David's "no refunds, no changes" policy. I, personally, allowed changes and accommodated them as they came along. I did have a no refunds policy, and made it very clear in the contract that this was the case (actually calling it out in a larger bold font). A force majeure clause covered the possibility that the resort would close and the pending reservation would be cancelled. David's contract had no such clause, leading to 4000 messages in that thread arguing whether the no refunds clause was conceptually valid. I didn't have any rentals going during the closure period. Had I had one, it is unlikely that the renter would have been locked-out of eventually using the points to get a room because either my points would have still had time to go before they expired, or would have been extended by DVC because they were expiring during the closure period. Had DVC not extended the points, and the points were expiring during the closure period, according to my contract the renter would bear the loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter