DVC part resale part direct which perks for which points????

DISdreamer1982

Earning My Ears
Hello all

So I’m doing my research and there’s one question I can’t find the answer too.

DVC resale means you can’t rent at other hotels like Disney Paris etc yes?
But IF I BUY 75 points direct with Disney I am then eligible for perks. But does that mean then my 50points resale and 75 direct are all eligible to be used in Disney concierge etc?

Thanks in advance

Only those 75 direct points could be used for Disney collection, you cannot combine them with the resale ones.

You need to keep reading and learning. Using DVC points for anything other than a DVC stay is like throwing them away, very poor value. They don't want you to use them anywhere else so they make it difficult, they even added a $95 dollar booking and change fee to deter you even further. They use all of these extras to make DVC seem great for the uneducated buyer.

:earsboy: Bill

Last edited:
You need to keep reading and learning. Using DVC points for anything other than a DVC stay is like throwing them away, very poor value. Thye don't want you to use them anywhere else so they make it difficult, they even added a $95 dollar booking and change fee to deter you even further. They use all of these extras to make DVC seem great for the uneducated buyer.

Ok thanks so the cruises as well? Basically I can’t see the point of buying direct then as we won’t use annual passes my plan is to buy 50 points animal kingdom via resale so I learn the system and see if its really for us. We would need 350 ideal but I’m not willing to do finance and that’s a huge outlay in one go. The main thing I thought was good was that if we were fed up of Disney one year we could go to Hawaii or try Tokyo instead, but perhaps you’re saying that’s not a good idea?

Only those 75 direct points could be used for Disney collection, you cannot combine them with the resale ones.
So when people talk about buying some direct to get the incentives that’s just the annual pass discount etc. Seems like a hell of a lot of money

So when people talk about buying some direct to get the incentives that’s just the annual pass discount etc. Seems like a hell of a lot of money

Yes, the main perk is the AP discount. Also access to the member events like Moonlight Magic at the parks, if those types of events are important to you!

Ok thanks so the cruises as well? Basically I can’t see the point of buying direct then as we won’t use annual passes my plan is to buy 50 points animal kingdom via resale so I learn the system and see if its really for us. We would need 350 ideal but I’m not willing to do finance and that’s a huge outlay in one go. The main thing I thought was good was that if we were fed up of Disney one year we could go to Hawaii or try Tokyo instead, but perhaps you’re saying that’s not a good idea?

Disney makes Disney an emotional thing, same with DVC while in fact it should be a financial thing first. We all get caught up in pixie dust and making memories for the family but look at it as a money thing when buying DVC. You have money and Disney wants it, for some DVC might save you some money, for others, it makes you spend more money at Disney with extra vacations, food, admission, extras, merchandise, cruises, and more. Do not buy one large contract, buy a couple of 150 point contracts because later when you want to sell, the smaller contracts will sell faster at a higher price.

Owning DVC will allow you to see behind the curtain and you will find out that Disney is all about Disney and making tons of profit. They delay DVC resale closings, they have restricted perks and extras for resale buyers, added fees for DVC trades, just to push people to buy direct at inflated prices. That is the business that they are in, I don't fault them for that but many buyers don't understand the whole relationship. Once educated DVC can still be a good deal for many, others just go along for the ride, some buy only resale for the cost savings, some only buy direct, some buy both for many reasons.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
After buying resale, if you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases again.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and DVD/DVC upper management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

The main thing I thought was good was that if we were fed up of Disney one year we could go to Hawaii or try Tokyo instead, but perhaps you’re saying that’s not a good idea?

Resale points can be used at Aulani, in Hawaii. It is a DVC resort.

The thing to kind of remember is that YOU are not eligible for "member perks." Your points are, or are not. Similarly, YOU do not have a home resort. Your points do.

The main thing I thought was good was that if we were fed up of Disney one year we could go to Hawaii or try Tokyo instead...?

Tokyo would require direct points.

BUT the Aulani resort in Hawaii is a DVC resort, so resale points can be used there at 7 months out, subject to availability. Also true at Hilton Head and Vero Beach outside of WDW. (Also the Grand Californian at DLR but that can be a tough get at 7 months.)

But if you don't need the AP discount, resale sounds like the way to go, yes...

Yes, but we get 6 to 8 annual passes a year, depending on which family members will be going to DW in any particular year. Right now, I have 7 Annual Passes

Last edited:
So rent out your points, both resale and direct, and use the money to pay for your trip. Makes it a lot easier if you need to cancel or change the reservation, especially at the last minute.

Yes, but we get 6 to 8 annual passa a year, depending on which family members will be going to DW in any particular year. Right now, I have 7 Annual Passes
They all live with you, right? You can't buy passes for anyone not directly related who doesn't live at the same address.

They all live with you, right? You can't buy passes for anyone not directly related who doesn't live at the same address.
Actually five of them are also on the contracts, as owners. That is one reason why I put my four adult children, with myself and my wife, on two contracts of 75 points each. The other two annual passes are their children, my grandchildren.

I bought 325 points at one time Direct from Disney. I had Disney split that into four contracts of 75 points each and one contract of 25. My initial idea was that I would someday give each child a 75 point contract. But i changed my mind and instead I decided to put all of us on all of the contracts. So far this ihas only happened with two of the five contracts. I will be adding them to the other three contracts in the next couple of months.

Last edited:

For cruises in the past availability for DVC depended on what cabins they had left over or there projected booking. I remember once that DVC had cruises blackout for a year. Just because the public can book, that doesn't mean that DVC can. With the additional ships, there may be more cruise availability now but using points still may not be the best value, check the numbers.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
After buying resale, if you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases again.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and DVD/DVC upper management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

Hi Bill:

You are so level-headed and knowledgeable. What an asset you are to this board!

I was curious if you've looked into the new management at all to understand anything about them or are just aware that there are new people in place?

my plan is to buy 50 points animal kingdom via resale so I learn the system and see if its really for us.

That seems...expensive? And with only 50 points I"m not sure you'll truly learn the system. You'll have either one small visit a year or one big visit in 3 years, and that just doesn't seem to do anyhing justice. My my opinion, though.

Pretty much. And yes. But if you have a bigger family it makes sense. APs often make sense if you have longer visits and want to go to the parks most days, even if you don't return inside of that 365 day period.

Resale points can be used at Aulani, in Hawaii. It is a DVC resort.

Good point. :)

You will be able to use the points at any DVC resort. That includes the DVC resorts at WDW, the one at DL and the DVC resorts at VB, HHI and one on Oahu (Aulani).

Hi Bill:

You are so level-headed and knowledgeable. What an asset you are to this board!

I was curious if you've looked into the new management at all to understand anything about them or are just aware that there are new people in place?

Thanks, there are a lot of people on the DIS that are just as knowledgeable and I have learned a lot from them. I don't think that changes by the new management will be immediate. The SVP over DVC/DVD was already on the board of directors for the association so she had knowledge of what was going on prior. I expect at some point she will come up with her own spin on things because she will need to prove her importance to her boss who is also new in his assignment. Keep in mind that managements goal is to make money, if giving us perks makes them money, we will get perks. If building additional resorts makes them money, they will build resorts. I don't think that owner satisfaction is a major line item on their yearly reviews or something that is considered when setting corporate goals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter