DVC vs. Sheraton Vistana

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Any DVC'ers own or stay @ the Sheraton Vistana on International Drive. They state they're 5 min. from DTD.

Got an tempting preview offer yesterday (no presentation involved, $149 for 4 days in 1BR w/$100 cash @ check-in) good for a year.

DH is very doubting, sounds too good to be true. Think it's a good alternative for weekend dates before or after DVC.

Any experiences to report?

WoW! If you didn't already say, I would ask you if it is a timeshare thing. That sounds a little too good to be true, especially with the money you would get when you got there. Maybe they are trying a different approach. Maybe they are not obligating you to a tour and feel like it would sell itself once you stayed there. Someone once said, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Good luck and keep us posted about it.

Thanks, still mulling it over. Unfortunately I've budgeted my (banked) points already for 2 trips this year.

Was told on another thread that it is a bona-fide offer, usually they do require participation in presentation. Operator said don't be surprised if they do "ask" us to attend one if we do go.

It's still a good deal even if you would get stuck going to a presentation. Say as little as possible and you can be in and out.
Hope it all works out. It seems like a pretty nice place, my brother-in-law and his new family are going there in May for their honeymoon.

We stayed there last fall with friends who return there every year. It is a really nice resort, great rooms, great feature pool. Certainly at those prices it's a great deal.

Is the deal for the Vistana Resort or the Vistana Villages? Either way, it's a good deal. We have stayed at both resorts (as well as DVC). My family likes the staff and the activities at the Vistana Resort. It's a great place for kids and just hanging out. Lots of activities and the college kids that work there are great.

We stayed at the Vistana in February of 2003. We had one of the older units. It was a very nice resort but it wasn't Disney. We had a free trip there and I still would have been willing to use my points or pay money to move inside Disney. Nothing against the resort, it was very nice, it just wasn't Disney.

HBC

Decided to book the 4 night offer, even though we'll only be staying 3 days/checking out a day early, moving to BWV.

Offer says Sheraton Vistana, we should get conf. letter this week. Honestly, I'm still unsure of exactly where it's located. We've gone up & down the main road (535?) before but, don't remember seeing it. Not sure whether it's closer to DTD area or 536 into WDW.

We hate to use our DVC points on weekend stays & even the AS's are nearly $100 w/AAA disc. Even with the $14/night tax, it's still less than $100 for a 3-star rated resort.

Will be our 1st time ever off-site...looking forward to it as an adventure. AAA & Unofficial Guide both give it great reviews.:thumbsup2

Wife and I stayed there last March with a simiar deal. The resort was very nice and is a fairly short drive to WDW (but more than 5 minutes), but we were turned off by the timeshare presentation (typical hard sales pitch...if you walk away from this table, all of the incentives are null and void kind of thing). We ended up buying into DVC 2 days later.

keishashadow said:
Honestly, I'm still unsure of exactly where it's located. We've gone up & down the main road (535?) before but, don't remember seeing it. Not sure whether it's closer to DTD area or 536 into WDW.

You are aware that there are 2 Sheraton Vistana's?
There is Sheraton Vistana Resort, which is off 535 south of I-4 (south of Walgreen's and Bennigan's). And there is Sheraton Vistana Villages. This is on International Drive, and since your first post mentions I-drive, I assume this is where you are at. It's on the section of I-drive between Central Florida Parkway (Seaworld) and the Little Lake Bryan / Premium Outlet Center area. Other nearby timeshares include Marriott Grande Vista, The Fountains, Hilton Grand Vacation Club on I-drive, Marriott Horizons, Marriott Cypress Harbor, and Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Seaworld. It's a nice area to be in, and really not a bad drive to WDW.

We are DVC members. We stayed at Vistana over Xmas 2005 -- rented the 2BR on RedWeek. We stayed in the newest section, I believe it is called Cascades. My sister owns there and stayed in her section which is older.

The unit we stayed in was very nice. They had copied the layout of the DVC units. My sister's older unit was laid out differently and not as nice, although bigger. The grounds in the section where we stayed were beautiful and every bit as impeccable as our beloved OKW. Great pools. Lots of tennis courts. Many clay. It was truly 5 minutes from WDW.

We declined a sales presentation. My sister went. They had her in tears. Her kids were upset. They were trying to convince her to upgrade her membership to the tune of 20 grand or so. Made her feel like her present membership was worthless, even though she has taken numerous fantastic vacations on trades. I was unaware of what was going on for about 3 hours until she didn't show up for lunch.

I went down there. Brought her a Xanax. Listened to the sales pitch. Asked the sales lady to leave. Explained it to my sister and showed her that what she already had was really as good. Then told her to leave and forget the free tickets she was supposed to get. I told the sales lady goodbye. Got an extremely evil look.

so if you go to the sales pitch -- be prepared. It is HORRIBLE and they are out for BLOOD! But otherwise vistana is good, and close to disney. I forget how to navigate to the web site, but there are maps of the property. Again, the newer section is best. You can probably find a great deal on redweek.

But I wouldn't exchange my DVC for anything Vistana. It just ain't Disney. :wizard:

We are Vistana owners (the main on on SR 535). Bought resale back in '94. We do enjoy our stays there. But I believe the one the OP is referring to, is the sister resort---the Vistana Villages on International Drive ? The Villages are all new units so you don't have to be concerned about getting an older unit as with the main Vistana. The Villages does not have an onsite restaurant either, while the main one has 2 sit down restaurants and an outside bar and grille/sports bar plus a Pizza Hut (all offer room service). You are free to use the facilities at the main resort while staying at the Villages---at least this was true as of 18 months ago. The Villages does have a pool bar and deli where you can get bagels/pastries in the morning and sandwhiches during the day.
Here's a map that will give you a better idea of where it's located.
http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/directions.jsp?resortID=1
I'd say it's closer to a 15 min drive vs a 5 min drive. The main resort is closer to WDW (the DD portion of it particularily), while the Villages is closer to Sea World/Uni.
so if you go to the sales pitch -- be prepared. It is HORRIBLE and they are out for BLOOD!
I totally agree ! Though we love the resort, their sales people are vampires. If you are offered a Welcome packet when you check in (they may say, "just head over to that table/desk to get your free welcome packet with discounts and coupons"), just nod yes and proceed out the door. They are actually trying to sign you up for a timeshare presentation there. When we get in our villa, we will actually be unplugging our phone because we got no less than 4 calls last summer, pushing us to come to a breakfast buffet (aka timeshare spiel). We use our cells anyway, so unplugging the phone is not a biggie for us.
This is the web site for the Villages : http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/welcome.jsp?resortID=1
Hope this helps a little........have a nice stay :)

It is a timeshare deal, but if you go just be firm. Tell them you are only taking advantage of the "deal" and have no intention of buying a timeshare. If you are firm, they will let you go quickly. Just don't ask alot of questions that they may lead them to think you are slightly interested.

If you are interested in a Sheraton Timeshare, go to the Vistana Villages. Its new, only a couple years old. Vistana Resort has been around for a long time. They do have some new sections and its very close to DTD (5 minutes).

I am amused, didn't know there were 2 Sheraton Vistanas!

The offer was for "Sheraton Vistana Resort". Brochure has map where it's marked as Sheraton Vistana Resort but, is placed to the east of International Drive, above 536...not too far from 417 (rd we usually take in from airport).

Sounds like it's for the Villages :confused3 instead of the Vistana. Now, I'm really confused, hopefully the letter will give us directions (LOL)

Seriously, do hope it's not in a high traffic area (?)

As for the TS presentation, I'm immune (Realtor myself);) .

just go to starwood property website to see them both

Yep....I did provide the web link to the Vistana Villages in an earlier post(which I think is the one the OP is invited to). I had provided a link to a map of the general vicinity as well.
Here is the link to the main Vistana : http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/welcome.jsp?resortID=5
Unfortunately, most of the pics (if not all) on the main Vistana resort page are of the newer sections of the resort.

Guess that's why I'm confused. They refer to it as Sheraton Vistana Resort in the invite & small brochure they sent. Operators are out in Calif. & just state that it's: the Sheraton Vistana & it's located close to WDW.

The search I did on internet brought up pics for site on 535 (both on sheraton's site & travelocity & expedia). Must say I never thought to look further for Sheraton Villages (never heard of it anywhay & don't think I've ever been on International Drive!)

If they were "sister/side-by-side" properties, I wouldn't be annoyed. IMO, representing the closer property as offering is wrong. Nowhere in the written description is Sheraton Villages ever mentioned. Would hate to think it's an intentional attempt to deceive. Do TS people tell you things that aren't true to intice you to visit their properties?:rotfl2:

Regardless, I'm commited @ this point. Will try & get specific address from operator. At the very least I hope the confirmation letter will let me know where to show up.:bitelip:

TS hawkers - a wiley bunch.
MiaSRN62 said:
Yep....I did provide the web link to the Vistana Villages in an earlier post(which I think is the one the OP is invited to). I had provided a link to a map of the general vicinity as well.
Here is the link to the main Vistana : http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/welcome.jsp?resortID=5
Unfortunately, most of the pics (if not all) on the main Vistana resort page are of the newer sections of the resort.

Operator says it's for the Resort, not the Villages (however, that would make the map they sent out incorrect as it's showing the Village location as the Vistana????)

Curiouser & curiouser! Hope the written conf. backs this up. They didn't waste anytime charging my CC for the deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter