DVC worth it over Value Resorts?

jaydubjw24

Earning My Ears
My family and I have been to Disney the last 4 years. We usually stay Pop Century because we figure we are just there in the room to sleep (plus the bus system is a lot smoother) I have been trying to talk the boss (wife) into DVC saying we would be money ahead in the long run. We are a family of 4 (baby on the way) and she thinks that staying in the value resorts would be cheaper then DVC. can anyone help me out in this debate haha i would greatly appreciate it.

THANK YOU

My family and I have been to Disney the last 4 years. We usually stay Pop Century because we figure we are just there in the room to sleep (plus the bus system is a lot smoother) I have been trying to talk the boss (wife) into DVC saying we would be money ahead in the long run. We are a family of 4 (baby on the way) and she thinks that staying in the value resorts would be cheaper then DVC. can anyone help me out in this debate haha i would greatly appreciate it.

THANK YOU

If you search the boards, this is discussed quite a bit. I believe the general consensus is that buying DVC will be comparable to paying for a moderate while staying deluxe long term. It isn't cost effective vs. a value resort.

Family of 4? does that include baby on the way or not.. ie. soon to be family of 5. ?
If you do get to 5 someday, you will be staying at moderates... :) or DVC .. perhaps that's your play..

no it will make us a family of 4 in September. i was just looking around havent done to much research but talked to a DVC salesmen at the magic kingdom in Feb. and to me i feel like its a good deal because you are getting moderate resorts for the same price as a value.

THANK YOU
The value will likely be cheaper both short term and long term. DVC will likely give you more value for a modestly higher price. That assumes you'll go routinely, stay in studios DVC compared to value regular rooms (not suites) and can pay cash. If you tend to travel with other discounts or specials like 30% off or free dining, the difference will be greater. It's unlikely the minor perks, DVC discounts or kitchen facilities will make any difference in your situation. If you plan to continue to go routinely and can afford it, I'd seriously consider it even without a true $$$ savings but only resale as the main option.

You are doing the right thing by doing your research up-front.
Read these threads on the DIS and understand the following terms:
UY
MF
HR
11 month and 7 month booking windows
Concierge Collection
RCI
CM
MS
Direct vs resale
Rule of 4
Once you have a full understanding of these terms.
Then read some more.
... i was just looking around havent done to much research but talked to a DVC salesmen at the magic kingdom in Feb. and to me i feel like its a good deal because you are getting moderate resorts for the same price as a value.
Most on the DIS will tell you, you are getting deluxe resorts for the price of moderates not moderates for the price of value.

Exactly PP have said exactly right. We bought to have the same cost as moderate but equal a deluxe. We bought in 2008 direct and I am very happy with the choice. We have never regretted it and have since added more points.

If you don't intend to pay more than the cost of the value then it's not for you. The dues etc you will need to pay will work out more. We compared ours to POR and POFQ where we stayed all the time.

Good luck I think it is worth thinking about with 4 of you be nice to have the extra space!

There are a lot of benefits to DVC that you'll learn on these boards and by reading articles around the internet - saving money really never comes out on top. The emotional benefit of owning a piece of Disney and having a set vacation every year is what drives most people to get into DVC.

As someone who enjoys Deluxe resorts and is trying to get into DVC, it really only starts saving me money after 9 years (and that is buying resale). When you think about that, if you are perfectly content at value resorts, it could take 30+ years to make your money back - and that is 30+ years of going every year, using all of your points all while assuming your travel situation doesn't change.

Based on that and what you've said, I'd probably say to hold off. Unless you can convince your wife that you'd really benefit from staying at the higher end resorts, that having a set Disney vacation is great for the kids, and that owning a piece of the magic carries it's own value, this isn't going to be a battle you're going to win.

You'd benefit from DVC, but odds are it wouldn't be monetarily. Keep that in mind and good luck!

I do not know if any have mentioned it, but you ONLY save $$ if you are staying in a studio. If you are looking at 1 and 2 Bdrms then no you do not save $$, because the points needed double/triple. Also; the majority of studio's and 1 bdrm units only have 1 real bed along with a pullout, and some of the studios once you open the pullout gets very cramped, actually felt smaller then a value room. Disney has also went after the resellers, where you could actually find a decent deal and not pay the inflated WDW price. The last time I figured it out, I believe I would hit the break even point at 10-12 years and then that is when I would start saving money. So many posters just disregard the $10-$15 thousand they spent up front and post that they are saving $$ because they are staying deluxe for what it would cost at a Mod. You really need to do the math and make a decision with facts and not feelings.

If you are happy in value resorts and only use the room to sleep and shower, DVC might not be good for you. Most DVC members actually enjoy the resort, sometimes even more than going to the parks from sun up to dark thirty. There is a post on one of the DVC boards about how DVC has changed how many owners go to WDW.

We bought in when our kids were in middle school and use DVC for the resorts and not just a place to sleep. We also bought more points so that we now have 500. We love it, but it is expensive. That's a big concern with such a young family. We used inherited money after paying off the house and cars, so we didn't have that bill, but we still pay over $2000 a year in maintenance fees. We also feel obligated to fly down there every year (not a problem for me!)

Keep looking into it. Don't rush it. We bought direct and we're glad. Check both sides of direct or resale.

Well, WE think DVC is definitely worth it over value resorts. We have never stayed in a deluxe Disney resort but started staying in moderates until they got so expensive we started staying in values. Bought DVC in 2009 and have never looked back. Frankly it makes me a bit ill to imagine going back to staying value again, I'd just rather not go if that was all that is available.

DVC won't save you money but it is more of a quality of life thing for us. Just a different experience.

Look into renting points on your next trip and see what you think for yourself.

DVC is really all about the resorts, and the bigger, nicer rooms. If it's worth extra money to you to stay in deluxe resorts, and to have bigger rooms, then it's worth looking into. But it WILL cost more than you're spending, and you WILL be spending that money every year, even if you don't go some years.

If you only stay in studios, your cost will be in the ballpark of a moderate room. But - unless you're staying at OKW, your kids will always be sleeping on a sofa bed. OKW has two queen beds in a studio, all other DVC resorts have one queen bed and a sofa bed.

If you want actual beds for the kids, but don't want to stay at OKW, you'll need to go up to a two bedroom, which will significantly increase the costs.

Why not try renting for awhile? You can try staying in the studios and one and two bedroom villas, and try a few of the resorts, and see if you really feel like it's worth the increased cost, without locking yourself into a multi-decade contract.

Thank you guys so much for all the information I too think if we rent some and try it just to see how we feel about it would be the best for us. Again I appreciate all the info

If you are happy in value resorts and only use the room to sleep and shower, DVC might not be good for you. Most DVC members actually enjoy the resort, sometimes even more than going to the parks from sun up to dark thirty. There is a post on one of the DVC boards about how DVC has changed how many owners go to WDW.
I can attest to DVC changing how I go to WDW. In the past, I couldn't afford to go for more than about 5-6 nights a year. So I would plan and plan and go and go during those shorter stays. Waking up early, staying out super late, repeat...getting the most out of every day.

After getting DVC, I now sleep in. I can afford to go for about 2 weeks a year. Get to the parks around 10. Ride a few things, lunch, ride a few more things. Head back to the room around 2-3. Shower, pool, relax. Until dinner around 7. Then maybe some more parks. A parade and/or fireworks. It's much more relaxed. I know i'll be back. It's still a great vacation and doing a lot of things, but there's much less running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I think there was some really good information in the above answers. If you like staying at the value resorts, you may enjoy DVC, but you will not save any money (if that is your goal). For us, we always stayed at a deluxe resort, so once we really looked into DVC, it was a no brainer for us. We stayed at EPCOT resorts the last 10 times we went to WDW, so buying their only made sense for us.
I found a spreadsheet analysis tool that was really nice to use. I could put in the cost of purchase and the cost of where we normally stay and it would calculate future costs. I'm not sure if it helped our decision or just gave me justification for what we wanted to do.

Last edited:
The only money we are saving is the difference between a deluxe resort and DVC. We are not rich or anything like that but we don't like the value resorts and only tolerate the moderates.

We like at least a one bedroom.

I think there was some really good information in the above answers. If you like staying at the value resorts, you may enjoy DVC, but you will not save any money (if that is your goal). For us, we always stayed at a deluxe resort, so once we really looked into DVC, it was a no brainer for us. We stayed at EPCOT resorts the last 10 times we went to WDW, so buying their only made sense for us.
I found a spreadsheet analysis tool that was really nice to use. I could put in the cost of purchase and the cost of where we normally stay and it would calculate future costs. I'm not sure if it helped our decision or just gave me justification for what we wanted to do.

Do you remember where you found the spreadsheet I'd like to look into that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter