DVD Players on the ship

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
I have a little stand alone DVD player. Has a screen. Just need to plug it in. I read that DVD players and gaming equipment were not allowed on the ship. Just wondering if this stand alone DVD player would pass? Not plugging it into a TV. It's like a laptop but doesn't DO anything but play DVDs.

We have one of those also. We haven't taken it on a cruise before, but since it doesn't get plugged into the tv, I would GUESS that it would be OK. If it's not, they will hold onto it and give it back at the end of the cruise. Years ago we were cruising with lots of family members. My SIL had a sound machine in her checked luggage. When she went to her cabin for the first time, she had a note asking her to come to guest services. They had her luggage with the sound machine in it. I don't remember why, but she had to show them how it worked and they then gave it back to her. Funny thing, I had the exact same sound machine in my checked luggage and they didn't take it out of mine. I cruised with the same sound machine now on 3 more cruises and have never had a problem. I would think the portable DVD player would be like a Kindle or laptop, since it's not being plugged into the tv, it should be fine. They would probably just have you show them how it works like they did with my SIL.

I was thinking of bringing my white noise machine - ended up buying a really powerful little fan from eBay that I will use for air circulation AND white noise! They can't really give me the DVD player back at the end of the cruise because it leaves from one city and ends up at another one. I might not have room for it but the movies I download from Netflix to my iPod don't stay all that long - really can't get a definitive time frame - I need them to hang around for 14 days. I realize there is entertainment on the ship but sometimes I just want to curl up with a good story that doesn't involve mice or princesses. Oh dear, but 'tis the truth!

I was thinking of bringing my white noise machine - ended up buying a really powerful little fan from eBay that I will use for air circulation AND white noise! They can't really give me the DVD player back at the end of the cruise because it leaves from one city and ends up at another one. I might not have room for it but the movies I download from Netflix to my iPod don't stay all that long - really can't get a definitive time frame - I need them to hang around for 14 days. I realize there is entertainment on the ship but sometimes I just want to curl up with a good story that doesn't involve mice or princesses. Oh dear, but 'tis the truth!

I'm pretty sure you can take the portable DVD. The only thing I've ever seen concerns plugging it into the TV. However, they may confiscate it if can connect to the TV because they probably assume you will use it for that purpose. If it is a true standalone with no external connections, it should be acceptable. If they do confiscate it, I believe they keep it on the ship. So even if you debark at a different port, they will have it. It's the same with liquor you buy along the cruise. They store it somewhere on the ship and allow you to retrieve it the morning you debark.

I’ve brought our portable DVD player multiple times on our cruises without a problem. My stateroom attendants saw it many many times and never mentioned anything. Of course, it was not plugged in anything but the electricity.

I can see you using a portable DVD player for the plane or car. However, with the new Smart TVs in each of the staterooms, you have a bunch of movies to choose from to watch on demand. My DD and DH loved it on our recent cruise.

I was thinking of bringing my white noise machine - ended up buying a really powerful little fan from eBay that I will use for air circulation AND white noise! They can't really give me the DVD player back at the end of the cruise because it leaves from one city and ends up at another one.

Unfortunately, fans will almost certainly be confiscated. They usually are.

They CAN return your items even if it's at a different port. My wife brought a heating pad with her, and they held it on the ship at guest services, so it went with us - we just didn't have access to it. I know this is the case though because they kept our bag and we didn't claim it until after we had left port. They made her open the bag and pull the item and give it to them.

Unfortunately, fans will almost certainly be confiscated. They usually are.

They CAN return your items even if it's at a different port. My wife brought a heating pad with her, and they held it on the ship at guest services, so it went with us - we just didn't have access to it. I know this is the case though because they kept our bag and we didn't claim it until after we had left port. They made her open the bag and pull the item and give it to them.
That’s weird we have taken fans with us on two different cruises with no problems. One is a small hand sized unit that runs on batteries and the other one is a small tower style fan that runs on a USB port or plugs into an outlet.

That’s weird we have taken fans with us on two different cruises with no problems. One is a small hand sized unit that runs on batteries and the other one is a small tower style fan that runs on a USB port or plugs into an outlet.

Battery-operated and USB fans are fine. Regular plug-in fans need to be inspected before they can be used. They want to make sure the cords are in good shape and the fan won't be a fire hazard.

As for portable DVD players, we have taken ours on the ship before. We had it for the plane ride down and it was in our carry on bag when we went through security. We never used it on the ship because of the on demand movies.

White noise machines are the best. I take mine and love it. Small portable DVD player should be fine.

I don't see fans on the prohibited list. My fan is very small like 6 inches X 4 inches, runs on a battery. And I was hoping the hum would also serve double duty as a white noise machine?

Also WHAT MOVIES ARE ON DEMAND??? I thought it was only Disney films? Pixar? Anything more adult oriented? Not R rated but with humans . . . just examples, I understand it may change by September, thanks!

we always bring a 12" fan/ and hook up my laptop to the TV, there is a HDMI inputting the back./ pending which ship you are on/ Magic / Wonder have no movies on demand.
No problems at all

Robin & Angel "D"

Items prohibited on board ship and on Castaway Cay.

Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, blenders, electric irons, electric blankets, heating pads, bottle sterilizers and warmers
  • Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services
  • All ships offer self-service laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.
You must have it in your carry on and they may pull it for inspection by the electrician. I have heard of several being confiscated from checked bag because they were not in carry on.

Aw man, who is disappointed they can't bring their rice cooker? :rotfl2:

(Can't think of anything worse than coming on a cruise and having to cook *anything* for myself lol!)

Thanks for the heads up on packing my little fan in my carry on when I board the ship. Can't imagine it will be a problem but I'll do the right thing.

i would use the rice cooker to keep the hash brown planks I steal from the breakfast buffet warm for snacking on all day.

Thanks for the heads up on packing my little fan in my carry on when I board the ship. Can't imagine it will be a problem but I'll do the right thing.

i would use the rice cooker to keep the hash brown planks I steal from the breakfast buffet warm for snacking on all day.
Yum, yum, yum

we always bring a 12" fan/ and hook up my laptop to the TV, there is a HDMI inputting the back./ pending which ship you are on/ Magic / Wonder have no movies on demand.
No problems at all

Robin & Angel "D"

I believe Magic has the on-demand TV system - installed during her latest shipyard visit.

Also WHAT MOVIES ARE ON DEMAND??? I thought it was only Disney films? Pixar? Anything more adult oriented? Not R rated but with humans . . . just examples, I understand it may change by September, thanks!
When I sailed on the Magic in May, there was an on-demand category of non-Disney Hollywood releases. I remember Wonder, Pitch Perfect 3, and Please Stand By being a few of the titles on that sailing. There were also categories for live action Disney (e.g. Saving Mr. Banks) and Marvel.

Thanks! I'll still load some movies on my iPod, but good to know there are options that aren't animated. Found out that Amazon Prime videos will stay 30 days. Some of Netflix only last for 7 days and I have 4 travel days before the cruise so that's cutting it close. I doubt we'll get much on the TV in terms of news while in the middle of the Atlantic but I could be wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter