Dynamic Pricing, yay!!!!!!

The parks have this already

Would not be surprised if in 10 years merch or at least food/drinks aren't at Disneyland

corporations "have" to keep making more and more money each year

So like how FP was free just a few years ago food will go up in price depending on demand and unlike Wendy you dont have much a choice of where you eat at Disneyland

Everyone uses Dynamic pricing same reason everything Disney is more expensive durning peak periods and as micro as Genie + that depends on demand. A lot of Disney Merch is color coded now where you need to look at a board for pricing or the price of the day.

The Wendy's CEO made that remark during an investor call. Now he is claiming it was 'misunderstood'. Whatever the exact term he used surge/dynamic pricing, there are quotes on various news stories of his exact statement. Fast food restaurants are all basically competing with each other, none of them have a monopoly on that market. If one raises prices out of line with their competition, people will choose somewhere else to eat. Recent statements from Panera about introducing a new/lower priced menu seems to support that. They had excessively raised prices which was a big turnoff to many people.

To me that is a bit different from Disney since the only 'competition' in the area is Universal. If you don't like the prices at Wendy's, clearly you go to any number of other fast food restaurants where you live. If you think Disney is pricey, you might also choose to vacation somewhere else.

Disney charges more during peak times of the year, and Amazon prices go up when an item is hot. Our local Burger King has to pay $18 an hour to get help and even then they never have enough staff at any given time. Then factor in the higher than ever prices of food, deliveries etc, then I totally understand price increases. Companies have to make a profit to stay in business, and they can only raise prices to a point where people still will buy the product. Average fast food restaurant profit margins are around 6-9% so I wouldn’t really call that greed.
Compare that to Apple's gross profit margin for fiscal years ending September 2019 to 2023 averaged 41.1%.

Uber, Lyft, airlines, hotels already use it. I'm sure we will see it move into other areas soon enough.

The whole point of surge pricing is to spread demand. I don't think it's gready at all. For transportation, theme parks hotels surge pricing works. I'm not saying this is exactly why Disneyworld doesn't seem to have a slow time anymore but it's definitly is a contributor.

I don't see how that would work around fast food. Most people take lunch around the same time everyday mostly because those are the work hours. Are you going to tell your boss, I'm taking lunch at 3 becasue I can get a $5 baconator it just doesn't make sense.

Don't a lot of restaurants offer early bird specials or happy hour specials or give out discounts on certain days. Airlines have lower fares on certain days of the week the same with hotels. There is already dynamic pricing everywhere.

Everyone uses Dynamic pricing same reason everything Disney is more expensive durning peak periods and as micro as Genie + that depends on demand. A lot of Disney Merch is color coded now where you need to look at a board for pricing or the price of the day.
I noticed this trip (compared to last year), it is often difficult to see prices for Disney merch. Some items I have searched high and low and seen no discernible price /color code anywhere. (I rarely like to ask CMs because I am usually just browsing and curious).

Last year they were all very clearly marked and I never had to look hard.

Sometimes there is a color code, but very few price signs so I’ve had to search harder to check the price sign.

Don't a lot of restaurants offer early bird specials or happy hour specials or give out discounts on certain days. Airlines have lower fares on certain days of the week the same with hotels. There is already dynamic pricing everywhere.
At least with restaurants you know the price of early bird specials and happy hours compared to the regular price of the menu and you know when they will occur. With what Wendy's was going to do you wouldn't know until the moment you order if you are getting surge pricing. One day at 1224p you are paying say $2.75 for a burger and the next day at the same time that burger is costing you $3.49 all because there are 9 people in front of you.

At least with restaurants you know the price of early bird specials and happy hours compared to the regular price of the menu and you know when they will occur. With what Wendy's was going to do you wouldn't know until the moment you order if you are getting surge pricing. One day at 1224p you are paying say $2.75 for a burger and the next day at the same time that burger is costing you $3.49 all because there are 9 people in front of you.
I don't think they'll do that. That would be fast food suicide. Fast food places tend to all be clustered together. If your desperate enough to eat that junk you have options.

Uber and Lyft do that. I actually took a taxi from the airport once because it was cheaper.

The whole point of surge pricing is to spread demand. I don't think it's gready at all. For transportation, theme parks hotels surge pricing works. I'm not saying this is exactly why Disneyworld doesn't seem to have a slow time anymore but it's definitly is a contributor.

I don't see how that would work around fast food. Most people take lunch around the same time everyday mostly because those are the work hours. Are you going to tell your boss, I'm taking lunch at 3 becasue I can get a $5 baconator it just doesn't make sense.
Keep telling yourself that like a good little shopper. The only reason for it is to make money. Disney loves charging more for teachers than any other profession, since they raise the price when they can go.
Charging more during a lunch time is to make more money. They don't want less business because it's busy. They want more.

Keep telling yourself that like a good little shopper. The only reason for it is to make money. Disney loves charging more for teachers than any other profession, since they raise the price when they can go.
Charging more during a lunch time is to make more money. They don't want less business because it's busy. They want more.
I read a lot of case studies as part of my job so my comments are based on facts not opinon. It's not as simple as we charge more we get more. Companies that rely a customer experience need to balance cost and experience. Imagine going to Disney if it was sold out everyday 7 days a week, it would be horrendous.

Disney loves charging more for teachers than any other profession, since they raise the price when they can go
This has absolutely nothing to do with Disney, my wife is a teacher and it's expensive to go anywhere when teachers can. Does Disney set the prices for the entire country?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter