Easter this year

You know, I just realized how thankful I am all the closures and lockdowns weren’t during the Thanksgiving -> Christmas -> New Years time.

I was thinking about that last night. Oddly enough we were stuck at home Christmas and New Year’s due to my husband’s recovery from knee surgery.

Easter isn’t a big deal to us, so I’m not upset about it. I still wish I could go visit my family, though. They throw a great crawfish boil!

Like others, our meal will be less than normal given the difficulty in getting groceries, but I ordered some Easter printable games from Etsy for us to play (Easter trivia, scattergories, & "finish the phrase"). We are trying to overcome quarantine boredom however we can.

It isn't just Baptists.
To be fair, I've only really experienced Catholic and Baptist Easter worship services. My Moravian experiences are solely Christmas related, and any other denomination's service I've been to has been a wedding or funeral.

Last edited:

We're preparing Easter dinner and delivering to to the doorsteps of our adult children and their families. We will also wave Hello from the driveway.

Looking forward to making up for all this at Christmas (if Covid19 is over by then, that is).

and we've never really done easter baskets. We used to have egg hunts and egg decorating when the kids were little. Special church services were the main Easter celebrations for us.

A bit frustrated right now about Easter.

Right before all this started, Dd and sil bought a house. At their house warming, his mom mentioned that now their house is big enough to host all family gatherings (meaning both families).

So then this started and she drove Dd crazy worrying about sil catching this (he had some health problems a few years ago that have her understandably paranoid). Well he first took off work and then was furloughed. and so that seems to make her think all is well. Meanwhile she (the mil) is going out shopping everyday at thrift stores and salvage stores. I am not sure why these places are still open but they are. And none of these stores are clean at the best of times.

Add to her not staying home, sil’s bil works in Louisiana and just got sent home—will be home today.

So the mil calls up sil and asks if they are having everyone over for Easter!!!! Dd wants to say no but from what she said on the phone this morning, they probably will have his family.

Now they have a large house but no way for all of them to stay 6ft apart.

I am just so aggravated that when he was working she kept on until he made the choice to take off work (he has since been furloughed) which could have endangered his job and getting unemployment but now it’s ok to spread the possible germs.

Dd is young and healthy so I am not too worried about her but just irritated that his mother just refuses to get it! Oh well, just one of the many reasons why those full family gatherings won’t be happening. She drives me crazy.

Ours will about the same as normal. Easter baskets and egg hunt (probably indoor because it is supposed only be 32F outside).

We will make our normal meal and deliver to our neighbor and maybe family friend (just set the meal outside...no contact), instead of having them over to the house. Our family doesn't live close so we never see them for Easter.

I will watch mass on TV. This is nice for me because my kids are young and Easter Vigil on Saturday night is my favorite but its too long for the kiddos.

The other major change is we are going to dye Easter eggs over video chat with my family.

luvsjack sorry For the frustration.

My yard is almost 3 acres in country, I had said I was going outside to my mom and my mom texted she was on her way to my house. So I let her sit on the outside porch - 15 feet from me-while I cleaned some of the pool area.
Today she tells my sister who is home super sick. That I’m having Easter. And I said so yesterday. And that she can come too. I DID NOT SAY THAT. And my sister already knew - no Easter here. We laugh at the opposite stories we hear from mom.

So I nicely informed my mother today, that my other SIL wanted to know if I was having Easter (so not to throw my sister under the bus) and that I was NOT having it and my own sister is sick and NO ONE is coming into my house.

And then I did call my SIL and said no Easter here this year. She was cool, sad but had figured no Easter at my home.

We plan on watching our church's Easter service online Easter morning, then we'll have lunch. We're not planning anything special for lunch this year. We have a 2 year old son, and we got him some candy to put in his Easter basket. We'll hunt Easter eggs after lunch, as long as the weather is ok.

Speaking of the weather, it looks like we may be dodging severe weather in the South on Easter. Hopefully the bad weather will hold off until later in the day.

Last edited:
luvsjack sorry For the frustration.

My yard is almost 3 acres in country, I had said I was going outside to my mom and my mom texted she was on her way to my house. So I let her sit on the outside porch - 15 feet from me-while I cleaned some of the pool area.
Today she tells my sister who is home super sick. That I’m having Easter. And I said so yesterday. And that she can come too. I DID NOT SAY THAT. And my sister already knew - no Easter here. We laugh at the opposite stories we hear from mom.

So I nicely informed my mother today, that my other SIL wanted to know if I was having Easter (so not to throw my sister under the bus) and that I was NOT having it and my own sister is sick and NO ONE is coming into my house.

And then I did call my SIL and said no Easter here this year. She was cool, sad but had figured no Easter at my home.

Guess your mom is just missing the family gathering. But it’s best for her that y’all don’t!

Hope your sister gets well soon!

Easter will be really different for us this year! It will be the first one in my 52 years that I wont be spending it with my Mom (Dad has passed) and brother.

I host Easter every year. There is the four of us, my Mom, my brother and his family, including my adult niece and nephew, their spouses and children. We live on 30 acres. We have a huge lawn and field where I hide around 400 eggs and everyone participates in the egg hunt.

I also always do 4-5 party type games with the whole group.

My Mom brings the ham and I make tons of sides for a big meal.

Our community church has their Easter sunrise service in one of our fields.

None of the above is happening. But, the four of us will be together; my husband and 24 and 27 year old sons. I always do big Easter baskets for all three of them and this year is no different. By chance, I happened to buy everything at the beginning of March. I also made one for my Mom and have already delivered it to her with strict instructions not to take the wrapping off until Easter morning!!! We are doing ribs on the grill. I have a couple games for the four of us to try and we are going to do a "homerun derby" on our lawn/field and a few other outside games.

I am super disappointed about not being able to spend it with my Mom and extended family, but we are making the best out of it. We are all VERY thankful that as of now, everyone is healthy. A few are working and a bunch of us are out of work, but all of our needs are met and we have the ability to help each other out if needed. So much to be thankful for during this crazy time!

So the mil calls up sil and asks if they are having everyone over for Easter!!!! Dd wants to say no but from what she said on the phone this morning, they probably will have his family.

When her mil called her up to ask if they were having Easter, why didn't your daughter just say "no, we are in the middle of a pandemic and have been asked to not gather in anyone's house except for the core family members that live together."

Sad that she couldn't say that, since you said she wanted to say "no".

I will be missing my family on Easter, but we didn't even talk about it, it was a no-brainer, it went without saying that we wouldn't be getting together.

When her mil called her up to ask if they were having Easter, why didn't your daughter just say "no, we are in the middle of a pandemic and have been asked to not gather in anyone's house except for the core family members that live together."

Sad that she couldn't say that, since you said she wanted to say "no".

I will be missing my family on Easter, but we didn't even talk about it, it was a no-brainer, it went without saying that we wouldn't be getting together.

She said it to her husband. Not sure what he said to his mom.

And we are just like y’all. Not even a thought.

But we are planning to do a big family gathering when this is over with food on the grill, horse shoes, volleyball and just a whole day of family fun as soon as all this has passed.

But we are planning to do a big family gathering when this is over with food on the grill, horse shoes, volleyball and just a whole day of family fun as soon as all this has passed.

Same here! We are very fortunate in that we work with many of our family members, however we aren't seeing nieces or nephews or my folks, or his. It's nice to have something to look forward to! We've had a lot of yard work to do so we've constructing a bonfire, and once we can get together we hope to have that -

I also miss church so very much. I am extremely grateful for online services but agree that is not the same at all. Tonight, Holy/Maundy Thursday, we always have a potluck supper followed by a brief service with Holy Communion around the tables. Tomorrow, Good Friday, we have a labyrinth with Stations of the Cross for people to quietly walk as they wish. Of course throughout the day people come in extra to pray and then attend the Good Friday Worship service. I've said this before on here but will especially miss our Easter Sunrise service this year. But as I just emailed a friend, no matter how you chose to put it, Christ is Risen and by the Grace of God with us still always as well. That is something I pray to give thanksgiving for daily.

Love how some of you are making Easter baskets for the whole family this year, how fun :)

Hug and God Bless All!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter