Eat at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

figment3258

DIS Veteran
So I was thinking about how much money we spend on take out and fast food and eating out and it stressed me out. we don't have the extra we just don't pay off the bill as much as we want to so i need some motivation and i turned to the dis I say lets start a eat at home thread. You can post your menu's for the week or however so i will start

I spent a little under 125$ at the store today and I really don't know what I am going to do but here is a start

Tonight we had hot dogs and corn on the cob
tomorrow pizza meatball subs
Wednesday pot roast
Thursday chicken bake
friday mac and cheese
Saturday meatloaf
Sunday?

Not too bad the trouble comes once the weekend hits its so hard not to go out.

Here is a recipe index from what everyone has posted feel free to pm me if i have missed any i tried to look but i know I probable missed a few

Make your own Salad Post #19
Quinoa eith black beans and cilantro Post #56
Meat Muffins Post # 61 and 82
Hamburger things post #79
Tiffanyk post a link to some recipies in her blog on # 87
Baked tomatoes with pasta post #97
Homemade doughnuts post #100
Macaroni and cheese post # 106 and 128
Mexican chicken stew post # 111
sesame green beans post #124
Wicked chicken post # 161
Yorkshire pudding post #255
french dip post # 27
french toast casserole # 279
crock pot chicken pot pie post # 312
butter beef post #328
pizza soup post #378
beef taco rice skillet post #410
canned chicken recipe #435
Mexican shepherds pie post #519
salted carmel cupcakes post #527
sukiyaki post #532
chicken piccata post #545
orange glazed salmon post #567
peppered salmon post #570
chicken tortilla crock pot soup post #608
Pita pocket pizza's and chicken quesidilla's post # 683
A onion soup and chocloate pumpkin muffins post # 694
Cresent chicken squares post# 701
Chicken brushchetta bake link #865
Pork and sweet potato bayou casserole- crock pot # 924
50"s prime time cafe Chicken Pot pie- #935
White chicken chili with salsa- # 948
Homemade vodka sauce-#970
healthy enchilada casserole-#1065
Hotdog casserole-#1092
A pasta dish-# 1103
Beef bake-# 1118
Bacon and potato chowder-# 1119
Mac and Cheese-# 1127
weight watchers cheddar and bacon fries-# 1134
Shrimp creole over pasta-# 1154
Parmesan crusted chicken-#1155
balsamic glazed chicken-# 1169
Braised chicken thighs-# 1214
Penne-# 1226
Roast beef brisket-# 1254
Taco twist-# 1256
Turkey or chicken tettrazinni-# 1256
Chicken crescent squares-# 1260
Slow cooker chicken-# 1288
Carrot pennies-# 1289
Crock pot beef stroganoff-# 1292
cracker barrel chicken and rice-# 1372
chicken in a pot-# 1380
Meatloaf muffins-# 1390
Sausage noodles-#1401
honey baked chicken drumsticks-1404
Chicken and dumplings-1434
Cowboy spaghetti-1437
Honey chicken wings-1443
chicken Parisienne-1443
chicken sausage and potato bites-1499
banana pudding-1526
Easy blueberry sauce-1527
Tuna cakes with creole mustard-1531
French bread-1555
leftover chicken ideas-1652
Chicken-1704
Hamburger buns-1735
Roast chicken-1745
Pinto beans-1774
Funked out tomato soup-1948

I agree!!! We have been so busy, it is hard to find time to cook. We ate out 4 days last week and I am sick of it (so is the budget). So, I always do better when I plan out meals, but don't forget to allow for the weekend eating out :rotfl:

Tonight: ribs
Tues: hot dogs
Wed: italian
Thurs: mexican

Yesterday we had Shrimp pasta alfredo w/brocolli (and we were on our own for lunch)
Today: Salmon w/barbecue sauce, mashed potatoes, & brocolli
Tomorrow: Rest of the mashed potatoes, brocolli, and turkey kielbasa
Wednesday: ???
Thursday: Leftover kielbasa, brocolli, maybe some corn?
Friday: ???
Saturday: ???

OK I have some gaps to fill in there - but whatever we have on wednesday we will probably have leftover for friday. I usually make enough for 2 nights (which is easy since it's just DH and I). Saturday we might have flatbread pizzas for lunch then maybe Mickey nuggets for dinner.

Our entertainment budget is pretty much spent for the month (I bought some play tickets today and we did one meal out at panera this past weekend) so we will be eating in a lot! I do tacos every other week and that lasts for 3 meals so that will help a lot next week :lmao:

Our grocery store steams shrimp for 7.99 a pound.With a salad, corn on the cob and rolls, it's one of our favorite weekend dinners. While the shrimp steams I make a salad and grab the rolls. It's nice to drink our own beer or wine and more relaxing than waiting in a restaurant. If the shrimp is on sale I buy extra and we have shrimp salad for lunch. Even a rotisserie chicken with your vegetables and corn muffins is cheaper than fast food. There are also some frozen pizzas we like (California Kitchen, Primo Thin Crust) with a salad for easy weekend dinners. If I have some easy options I'm not as tempted to eat out! :)

Our budget is around $200 per week for the eight of us. Here is the menu for the week:

Monday: Crockpot Greek Lemon Chicken, rice, spinach with lemon juice, homemade hummus, homemade tzatziki, and homemade pitas.

Tuesday: Fried Rice with chicken and spinach leftover from Monday, plus frozen peas and broccoli.

Wednesday: Hamburgers (hoping to find beef on sale that day) with homemade rolls, side salads (potato, macaroni, or whatever strikes my fancy), and store bought baked beans (I can't beat B&M for flavor).

Thursday: My youngest son turns 8! He has chosen spaghetti and meatballs for his birthday dinner with a green salad and homemeade bread with garlic butter.

Friday: Meatless nachos made with refried beans (from dried beans), cheese, corn, and tortilla chips. My oldest girl can make this without my help, which kind of give me Friday nights off. ;)

Saturday: My oldest girl turrns 15!! She has chosen lasagna, green salad, and homemade bread with garlic butter. (Can you tell I don't serve much Italian? I have a son who is sensitive to tomatoes, so we don't eat them much.)

Sunday: My husband cooks dinner most Sundays. He will likely either make Chocolate Chip Pancakes or White Pizzas (no tomato sauce). I make the crusts and he makes four pizzas. One pepperoni; one mushroom, olive, green pepper, and onion; one with just cheese and spices; and one pineapple (for dessert).

I look forward to reading other peoples ideas!

Great idea for a thread. Not only will it help us stick to eating at home, but it can offer ideas when we have "no clue" what to cook/plan. I try to stick to grocery shopping once a week, but I plan a dinner menu each week so I know what to buy at the store, but also so I know what we are eating. Just planning in advance helps cut back on the eating out thing. :)

My dinner schedule starts on Thursdays (because that is the day I shop), so I only have up to Wed. We should also come back and check in each week to see how we did. :thumbsup2

Tonight-steak, fries & veggies
Tuesday-hamburgers
Wed.-breakfast night (eggs, hash browns, bacon).

tonight: spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, salad
Tuesday: Orange Roughy with butter and cajun spices, rice, roasted peppers and broccoli
Wednesday: Chicken Fajitas
Thursday: pork chops/apples, new potatoes, asparagus
Friday: nachos
Saturday: brunch-hashbrown casserole with sausage; dinner-tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Sunday: eat out brunch and dinner-pasta dish

I don't really have a list of meals for the week, just ideas of what I'll make. What really helps me not go out all the time is to prep my meat ahead of time and keep ingredients on hand. Like, I cut my chicken into fajita size, pasta size, cutlet size, etc. and freeze it. I also cut my beef, marinate, and freeze. That way, I usually have the meat I need all prepped so the rest of dinner isn't such a big deal. Also, I sometimes make a bakery item from home and eat that as my breakfast (and sometimes lunch) for the week. This week: zucchini bread--yum!

Our menu isn't terribly exciting right now. We're very close to our trip so I am using up things from the chest freezer and did a budget shop for the next two weeks. But here goes..
Sunday-Tofu Parmasean
Today- Perogies with cheese and sour cream, garden salad.
Tues- Hamburgers and Veggie Burgers, Baked Potatoes, Green Beans
Wednesday- Veggie Chili (3 types of beans and lots of veggies), Garlic Bread
Thursday- Pulled Pork on Buns,Green Beans, Salad
Friday- Grilled Chicken,Mashed Potato/Carrots/Turnip (mixed together.. great way to get my kids to more veggies:)
Saturday-Breakfast for dinner (eggs, pancakes,fruit)

(On the meat days there is always an alternative for DD who only eats fish)

Great idea for a thread. Not only will it help us stick to eating at home, but it can offer ideas when we have "no clue" what to cook/plan. I try to stick to grocery shopping once a week, but I plan a dinner menu each week so I know what to buy at the store, but also so I know what we are eating. Just planning in advance helps cut back on the eating out thing. :)

My dinner schedule starts on Thursdays (because that is the day I shop), so I only have up to Wed. We should also come back and check in each week to see how we did. :thumbsup2

Tonight-steak, fries & veggies
Tuesday-hamburgers
Wed.-breakfast night (eggs, hash browns, bacon).

love doing breakfast for diner. i always have eggs and pancake mix on hand maybe that will be Sundays diner

I love to list dinners because it helps me to stay on track and not eat out.

Tonight: Shrimp Fettucini Alfredo w/brocolli;
Tuesday: Tacos and refried beans;
Wednesday: Hamburgers and baked beans;
Thursday: Barbequed Beef shortribs, cornbread, beans and mashed potatoes;
Friday: Pizza

Tonight: Pan fried chicken, dirty rice, yams
Tuesday: Tostadas
Wed: Grilled pork chops with mushroom sauce, rice, carrots
Thursday: Chili dogs, chips
Friday: Nachos

We are currently living in a hotel, waiting to move into our house once our ship comes with our household goods. Anyway, we don't have an oven, just microwave and burners, plus a gas grill shared among the hotel dwellers. I have been cooking, but it is challenging, and we are eating out too much.
Onto the meal planning!
Tonight, smothered chicken, green beans and new potatoes, strawberries

Rest of the week, in no particular order......
Grilled pork chops, watermelon, corn
Pasta with meat sauce, bread, veg?
Sesame beef, rice, broccoli with cashews
Burgers, chips, salad, fruit
Sandwhiches, fruit, chips
Tuna and noodles, peas

Good luck to all!
Katy

Good plan. Eating out is a budget disaster ! We always eat at home unless autistic DS voices a wish to eat fast food for lunch or Spaghetti Factory for dinner. Even Spaghetti Factory is $60 w/ tip. At Winco I spend about $145/week. I hit the farmer's markets for local produce and good beef or chicken, and I buy eggs from a local farmer. I hate eating anyplace other than home unless we're on vacation and I've planned it...as part of the vacation experience. I always take lunch for work, DH is retired, and when DS is in school we pack his lunch. Easy dinners...fried rice, pizza (we make totally from scratch, easy and half the price of take-out), grilled meat and sides, pasta w/ sauce and salad, casseroles made from fresh ingredients, fritattas, roasted chicken or other meat...really, cooking from home is simple if you plan. Much easier, cheaper, and quicker than going out. The clinchers...it is yummy and not as fattening.

We definatly get into ruts. But lately I am big on 2 meal cooking at once- like if we are having bbq I'll throw some extra chicken cutlets on the grill for salads- or quesadillas.

Tonite was Lasagna - with leftover meatballs and sauce from Friday.

Tomorrow I am not sure - maybe steaks on the grill with corn on the cob and some baked potatoes.

Really I am not planned this week. I was away this weekend and didn't get to shop so it's mostly pantry stuff this week. Maybe pancakes? one night.

I've signed up on a lot of restaurant website and frequent restaurant.com, lately it's been cheaper to eat out

Well timed thread! I'm making my shopping list right now :) Count us in as spending WAY too much on take-out/eating out. I make sure I buy a few pre-made dinner options at Trader Joes to keep in the freezer, just in case. That way, when I'm pooped or too busy, I just pull it out and warm it up instead of getting take-out.

My favorites are Mandarin-Orange Chicken w/ Rice and veggie, Enchiladas with rice and corn, Chimichurri salmon with Mashed potatoes and green beans....

This/Next week we're having:

Tues: Quinoa w/Black Beans & Cilantro with Tamales and Corn

Wed: Ribs and Cheddar Corn Chowder

Thurs: Bruschetta w/leftover soup

Fri.- Sun. We'll be gone for a wedding, HAVE to eat out. :woohoo:

Mon: Artichoke and Tuna Panini's w/ Garbanzo bean spread and Chips

Tues: Coconut Chicken with Strawberry-Spinach Salad

Wed: Steak, Mashed Potatoes and Green beans w/Caramelized Onions

Thurs: Ratatouille w/ Garlic Bread and Marinated Mozzarella

Fri: Homemade Pizza (TJ's ingredients, YUM!!) and Carrots/Broccoli w/ Ranch

This is timely! I was thinking recently that all of the eating out we do is taking a toll on both my wallet and my waist. So today is day one for me of a 30 day ban on eating out to try to get us into some different routines.

Tonight - we were supposed to have rosemary chicken and potatoes but DH got home late so instead we had hot dogs and coleslaw

Tues - crock pot apricot pork chops and sesame green beans

Wed - date night. We typically eat out. I'm not sure yet what we will do - I need to be creative. My in-laws will take my kids out as they usually do so DH and I could eat here and then go out.

Thurs - rosemary chicken and potatoes

Fri - ravioli with peas and bacon

Sat - we will do a picnic lunch with the kids instead of going out to lunch like we usually do. For dinner we will probably have spaghetti

Sun - I shop again.

The tough part for me so far is that I typically "eat out" everyday for lunch(at the cafeteria where I work). So, I am making my own lunch each night along with DD's as she is in day camp this week and needs to bring a lunch.

I found that having a crockpot is often a lifesaver. My favorite crockpot cookbook is "Fix It and Forget It".

These meals are in our regular rotation:

Turkey Tacos/Spanish rice
Meatloaf/mashed potatoes/green beans
Roast pork loin/rice/broccoli
Pasta/salad/bread
Breakfast for dinner - pancakes, eggs, turkey bacon
Hot dogs/beans/salad - either green or macaroni/potato
Steak/potatoes/mushrooms/salad
Chicken fajitas/yellow rice
Roast beef/mashed potatoes/green beans
Grilled london broil/baked potatoes, corn on the cob
Cheesesteak sandwiches
Beef stew (crockpot)
Ham
Make your own salad - start with greens, have a variety of veggies, cheese, hard boiled egg, bacon bits, chicken, etc. Great for using up leftovers.
Grilled cheese/soup
Sandwiches

I also have this huge book of recipes from Saving Dinner - I bought them on sale and so far everything I've made has been a big hit. Garlic Lime Chicken is a favorite!

Utilize sites like allrecipes.com and Taste of Home to get ideas!

Coordinate your meals with what's on sale each week and save even more money!

Good luck! :thumbsup2

We typically only grocery shop once a month since we live far away from a city. There is a general store in the park that has a good selection of groceries, but since it is a tourist area the prices are pretty high. So I really don't like going there too often expect for fresh vegetables and fruit. I try to find things I already have around the house. Sadly, I don't do much meal planning for a week.

Last night: Crock Pot beans and Rice
Tonight: Steak, baked potatoes, and roasted butternut squash
Tomorrow: Smothered Pork Chops, rice and a veggie
Wed: Soft Tacos
Thur: Lasangna
Fri: Soccer Banquet: We are bringing a veggie tray and some other side
Sat: Probably make pizzas

The kids buy their lunch at school adn I eat left overs. We typically eat out once every 2 weeks. The prices are just crazy high here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter