"Eating breakfast in your room" to save money and time

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
Hi! I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on this.

Where/How exactly do you eat? If your room doesn't have a little table and chairs (or even if it does, but you have more people than room at the table) do people just sit on beds? Do you take the food out of the room to a more public area of the resort?
Several years ago, we stayed at Coronado Springs and took our breakfast down to the quiet pool where they had tables and chairs, but that was in the summer and we had beautiful weather. Our next trip is in December so if it's cold, this won't be an option.
We're staying at BWI, if anyone has suggestions specific to that resort. :)

We stay on the DVC side of BWV, so we have an area on our room to eat.There are coffee tables and chairs in the lobby of BWV, and I have seen people eating there in the morning and evening. MIght be an option if the weather is bad. There are benchs outside where people eat as well.

I would assume people are also getting dressed, showered or otherwise ready in the morning. Would everyone actually be eating at once? If not, I would see someone taking a shower, while another eats their toast and cereal, someone is watching TV while another sits on the bed or at the table eating a yogurt. Or are you actually planning on serving something more complicated that would require multiple plates, bowls, utensils?

I would assume people are also getting dressed, showered or otherwise ready in the morning. Would everyone actually be eating at once? If not, I would see someone taking a shower, while another eats their toast and cereal, someone is watching TV while another sits on the bed or at the table eating a yogurt. Or are you actually planning on serving something more complicated that would require multiple plates, bowls, utensils?
Thanks! We usually do night time showers, so getting ready doesn't take too long for each person. I was mostly thinking of yogurt, some type of store bought donut/pastry, and some type of deli meat and cheese. That's what we did at Coronado and it worked well. :)

We weren't at Disney and this isn't breakfast, but we did eat dinner in our hotel a few times on summer vacation (takeout). Anyhow, we just kind of pulled chairs up to the desk and ate, some people ate on the edge of the bed, my DH likes to eat standing up (weird)...and I think I just waited for a chair.

Also going to add that even when we had a suite at AoA...the kids would eat cereal at the table, but DH and I would often eat/drink something like a protein bar/shake, peanut butter crackers, etc. so we didn't really need to sit.

We usually eat in shifts since some shower in the PM and some in the AM. We usually bring stuff like cereal and buy milk when we get there, protein bars/drinks, sometimes pastries, and other stuff like that.

We sit at the table or on the balcony. Sometimes on the bed if we feel like it. Usually cereal or a coffee cake.

What it works for my family of 5 with 3 kids is to have light breakfast, meaning bottles of milk, yogurt, granola bars,etc. After I get ready first who can’t help but wake up very early while at Disney, I start setting the kids food, DH will be the first to get ready while I give the kids their food and dress them (they take bath before bed), my husband will go a grab coffee and bagels for us. We are big eaters and we do not do this everyday, but it definitely saves money and time. We usually stay late at the parks for nightime shows, but have done dinner base on PB&J

When we're at Disney, even if there's a table with chairs, DD wants to eat sitting on the bed. :rolleyes: Since it's Disney, I let her. For breakfast we usually do yogurt or cereal, bananas, and maybe a breakfast pastry. Breakfast pastry in bed...no wonder my kid likes Disney so much!

I have noticed families will bring in thing's like instant oatmeal or small prepackaged cereals and eat in the dining area at the resort (plus the microwaves are right there for them to use) I've seen this several times and no one has ever told them they cannot do that (well not that I've seen). At all star movies there are always tables down by the microwaves that are open plus there is a TV down there showing a movie.

Well, we have breakfast in the room but it's not a big deal or anything. Mainly cereal and milk whenever you have time to grab it while getting ready in the morning. If we have a little table we'll use it, if not, no one has a problem sitting on the edge of the bed.

We usually have a table/ chairs, a balcony with chairs, a seat/ couch, a "breakfast nook," in any hotel room we stay in (we're a family of 5 and if we're not at Disney we're usually in some kind of suite or room with a kitchenette. At Disney we're usually in a DVC villa if it's 5 of us and definitely a balcony if it's just 2 of us). We also don't all eat at the same time. Usually our "in the room" breakfast is more like something that gets carried and eaten on the way to (or while waiting for) the bus/ boat, or early in the park.

While I do it to save time and money I also do it just because I am not a morning person but have to be at Disney and I don't like eating much that early in the morning but again at Disney I need something in my stomach.
We generally bring things like granola bars, cereal bars, pop tarts, peanut butter crackers, water, juice, chocolate milk...
The last couple trips I've brought gerber squeezable fruit pouches and chocolate milk and this is probably my go to from now on.
As you can see none of those items require tables.
When we have a table in the room I will sit at it but while staying at POP last week I was not in the mood to push the bed up and pull a chair over at 6am and in December I'll be at POP again so again I won't feel like doing that so I just sit on the bed.
I would never leave the room to eat breakfast that would be entirely too much effort and require me to be fully dressed and looking presentable.
I don't really see a difference between sitting outside for breakfast in August vs December. You're going to be outside half the day anways but like I said I'd never do it to begin with.

We've done breakfast in our rooms for all but one trip. Sit at the small table if you're having cereal. Stand up and eat if you're having a Pop Tart. When we were camping at Fort Wilderness, we ate outside the camper and watched the morning news.

We always eat sitting on the bed when we eat in any hotel room, although for breakfast the kids are the only ones sitting-DH and I grab bites of food in between getting ready for the day or just eat quickly while standing. I usually have the table covered with too much stuff to use it to eat on. If my kids are eating something that will spill, like cereal, I either make them stand by the desk the tv is on if it is low enough, or clear a spot on the table just for them. I will also use the little nightstand between the beds (to set cups of milk on for example.)

In our last trip we stayed at Bay Lake towers and ate breakfast on the balcony each morning. Great way to start the day. We also ordered yogurt, banana's, etc from Amazon and had it delivered to the hotel. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

I drove but I still kept it simple with blueberry bagels and cream cheese and granola bars and dried apricots and prunes. Make coffee in the room. I always bring my own creamer.

We find breakfast takes us too long if we don't stick to basics in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter