ECV questions

sleepingbeautymama

Aurorasparkle on VMK
Hope someone can answer some of my questions about ECVs. :)

I think I'm going to have to use an ECV to get around the parks . I'm most concerned about MK because I figure that's where we'll be most with our dd. If we get there around opening time, will I be assured of getting one? If I wait until later morning (which is when I figure we'll really get there) is it still possible to get one? I don't want to get there not feeling well and realizing I can't get one but if it's just a matter of getting there within a certain time, I'll scoot over there to be assured of getting one. On another issue, my dh is really against me even getting an ECV in the first place. I think he's having a hard time accepting my limitations so he was not so pleased when I mentioned I might want to rent one from an outside company to be assured I'd get one. This whole thing is hard in the first place worrying about what others think and then worrying about what your dh thinks. Any one dealing with a spouse like this?

Other questions,
With an ECV, what happens when you need to get in line for the rides? My problem is nerve pain. Whether I'm walking or standing, I hurt. I am really worried about having to stand in a line. Actually I'm wondering how I'll do it and usually it gets worse as the day goes on. Will they let me bring the ECV in line? Is there somewhere else I can wait until it's my turn?
If I'm unable to get an ECV, would they allow me a GAC card where I could sit somewhere and wait instead of standing in the line?
I'm just trying to figure out what my best options would be to make this enjoyable without suffering too much.
Seems I'm stressing so much about all this that I've contemplated canceling the trip but I really want to enjoy this with my DD4. She has sensory issues and we think Autism so I also have to work around some of her issues too.

Thanks

sleepingbeautymama said:
Hope someone can answer some of my questions about ECVs. :)

I think I'm going to have to use an ECV to get around the parks . I'm most concerned about MK because I figure that's where we'll be most with our dd. If we get there around opening time, will I be assured of getting one? If I wait until later morning (which is when I figure we'll really get there) is it still possible to get one? I don't want to get there not feeling well and realizing I can't get one but if it's just a matter of getting there within a certain time, I'll scoot over there to be assured of getting one. On another issue, my dh is really against me even getting an ECV in the first place. I think he's having a hard time accepting my limitations so he was not so pleased when I mentioned I might want to rent one from an outside company to be assured I'd get one. This whole thing is hard in the first place worrying about what others think and then worrying about what your dh thinks. Any one dealing with a spouse like this?

Other questions,
With an ECV, what happens when you need to get in line for the rides? My problem is nerve pain. Whether I'm walking or standing, I hurt. I am really worried about having to stand in a line. Actually I'm wondering how I'll do it and usually it gets worse as the day goes on. Will they let me bring the ECV in line? Is there somewhere else I can wait until it's my turn?
If I'm unable to get an ECV, would they allow me a GAC card where I could sit somewhere and wait instead of standing in the line?
I'm just trying to figure out what my best options would be to make this enjoyable without suffering too much.
Seems I'm stressing so much about all this that I've contemplated canceling the trip but I really want to enjoy this with my DD4. She has sensory issues and we think Autism so I also have to work around some of her issues too.

Thanks

If you're going in late September, you shouldn't have a problem, but they are not always available. They always make accommodations for ECVs/wheelchairs in lines, so don't worry about that at all. A few years ago we had a member of our party who was in a WC and the kids fought over who got to push her because she got preferential treatment in lines. They don't do that much anymore (I don't think) but it's still definitely not a problem. If you're really concerned about getting one you can always rent from someone off site. They'll deliver it to the hotel. Look at allearsnet.com. They have some links there as well as testimonials. The only problem then is getting it to MK, but if you're at WL, take the boat. That's the easiest and most fun way to go. The buses will also take you without any issues, but it's a little bit of a nuisance. Have fun and don't worry.

ntsammy5 said:
A few years ago we had a member of our party who was in a WC and the kids fought over who got to push her because she got preferential treatment in lines. They don't do that much anymore (I don't think) but it's still definitely not a problem.
The reason for the past 'preferential treatment' was that many lines were not wheelchair accessible. Many of the lines were changed in the past few years to be accessible, so in most cases you will be waiting right in the regular lines with the ECV with everyone else. These are called Mainstream Lines and you don't need to do or have anything special to use the ECV in line.

AK and the Studio were built with Mainstream Lines. Attractions at MK and Epcot have been updated to include Mainstream lines when possible.
All the Fastpass lines are Mainstreamed.

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. There are links there that should be helpful to you. There are also phone numbers and links to websites for the off-site ECV rental companies that DIS posters have reported good experiences with.
There is also a section on Guest Assistance Cards that might be useful for you in dealing with your child's special needs (although we have been there in September and have found it to be pretty quiet - your waits in line will probably be short).

The boat at WL is occasionally not accessible to ECVs and power wheelchairs because of water levels. If the water level is too different compared the the dock, then you are not able to board with a power wheelchair or ECV. If this happens, you can always use the buses.
There is information in the FAQs about boarding the buses.

I think you would be better off renting off site.
They do run out of ECV's, and they are big and clunky too.
It's easy getting around MK on a ECV and the lines are a snap!
The ECV we rented is just like the one I own now. Easy to use and
very manuverable..
Enjoy your trip,
Deb
Here's me on the rented scooter
Disneyscooter.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter