*** (edited 12/12) New Board Status- please read before posting new problems! ***

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
The upgrade of the DISboards is going really well, and WebmasterAlex has gotten us back online VERY quickly!!!

There are a lot of little tweaks and issues that he'll be sorting through over the next days and weeks. Since we're seeing LOTS of the same questions over and over, here are some of the things that he knows are not complete, or that some users are seeing issues with. You don't need to post a question about them.
  • If you are having trouble logging on, it is likely that your cookies need to be cleared. Please follow the steps below before reporting the problem:
    1. Close (or minimize) your AOL browser, if applicable
    2. Open Internet Explorer
    3. Clear *all* of your IE cookies by clicking TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then DELETE COOKIES.
    4. Close your IE browser.
Now launch IE and try to log onto the www.disboards.com address.

If you still cannot logon to the DISboards through IE after following these steps, please let us know here. Let us know what your operating system is and what web browser you are running on, and that should provide enough information for us to begin to identify technical or security issues.

• AOL - AOL users are reporting all sorts of problems, from not being able to log in, to not being able to reply to posts. For now, minimize AOL and use Internet Explorer to browse the boards.
  • Avatars - You can't upload new avatars yet.
  • Cookies - If the boards aren't remembering your user name and you're having to log in repeatedly, you need to clear your old cookies so a new one can be created. Here's how: In Internet Explorer, select TOOLS, then INTERNET OPTIONS, then DELETE COOKIES. Close IE, then log back onto the DISboards. After this, your new settings should be remembered
  • Countdowns - EDITED 12/11- The problems we were having with countdowns have been corrected. There's no more 500 character limitation!
  • Photo gallery - still needs to be integrated with the boards, and you won't be able to log onto it yet. EDITED 12/11- The PhotoPost site is working now!
  • Signatures EDITED 12/11- The problems we were having with signatures have been corrected- there's no more 500 character limitation. HOWEVER- the DIS Signature Guidelines are still valid. (Your signature can contain no more than 8 lines of text, graphics cannot exceed 35K total bytes, and all graphics must fit within a 400 x 400 pixel area.)
  • User Titles - the words under your name, like "Welcomed Guest" and "DIS Veteran", aren't set up like before. The webmasters are working on some newer, cooler user titles!EDITED 12/11- Done!
  • Preview- Preview works to allow you to see your posting, but does not allow you to preview it again after making changes. Nor does it allow you to actually submit the post when you are done.
    The work around is to copy the text you want to post, close out of the new post or reply post screen and start over. In the new New Post or Reply Post screen, paste in the reply but do not preview. Simply post.
Be assured that the webmasters will be addressing these issues and working to make the DISboards as usable and friendly as possible. Thank you for being patient as we get used to the changes. :)

In the meantime, enjoy all the wonderful new features that are already available to us on the DISboards!

Thanks, Alex, for getting us back online so quickly!:wizard:

(edited 12/11, since SEARCH is now working, and we can take it off the list!)
(edited 12/12 to reflect the ability to edit signatures containing countdowns)
(edited 12/12 to show that PhotoPost is working)

We also know that some users, especially AOL users, are having trouble signing onto the DISboards home page: www.disboards.com .

If you are having trouble logging on, please follow the steps below.

1. Close (or minimize) your AOL browser
  2. Open Internet Explorer
  3. Clear *all* of your IE cookies by clicking TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then DELETE COOKIES.
  4. Close your IE browser.
Now launch IE and try to log onto the www.disboards.com address.

If you still cannot logon to the DISboards through IE after following these steps, please let us know here. Let us know what your operating system is and what web browser you are running on, and that should provide enough information for us to begin to identify technical or security issues.

Bump. (This should be a sticky on ALL boards).

P.S. Thanks for the update.

I will try my best not to get impatient while waiting to get my counter back in my sig. :teeth:

Seriously though, thanks to you all the work you guys do for these boards!! It's much appreciated!! :D:D:D

I know how hard you guys are working, so I just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts.

I like the new look and many of the new features.

Something else that seems to not be working at the moment is the Preview feature, at least for me. If I preview a post once, I cannot seem to preview again OR submit my reply. I've worked around this for now by copying my post and either opening a new window to paste/post or going back to the previous page to paste/post. It'll certainly be nice when we can preview AND post again, but in the mean time I'll just use my work around.

Webmaster Alex says:

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the new boards.
I think they ran very well on their first weekday.
There are still some issues we are aware of and we are working on.

1. Search doesn't work yet. It will probably be a week or two
2. You can't upload new avatars. You will be able to....promise!
3. User title's aren't right yet, we are actually thinking about some new, cooler ones
4. AOL users are having ALL kinds of problems. Not suprising since AOL marches to the beat of its own drum. I have recieved emails from a lot of AOL users having problems to the point where I can't get to them for a while.

Here are some things to try:

Minimize your AOL browser.
Open up Internet explorer and see if you can log on that way
If not clear your cookies (tools, internet options, delete cookies) close Internet Explorer, open it back up and try again

Shoot I spent all this time tweeking my siggy and I cant get it to work.... :teeth:

Seriousily, I am amazed there are not more problems with all the HUGE changes!

Any word on smileys in posts yet?

While I was running one of these VBulletin boards for the life of me I couldn't figure out how you guys could be so problem free with regard to AOL users. They had the wackiest, most inexplicable (for me) problems.

So I feel better now.

Doubletrouble, we just keep WebmasterAlex locked away in a dark little closet, lit only by the glow of the monitor, hacking away at the VBulletin code 24 hours a day. :)

When he fixes a glitch, we slip him a beer and a sandwich as a reward.

KathyTX said:

Well, it's good to know that you are at least keeping him well fed, must be why he's doing such a great job - and so quickly. ;)

KathyTX said:
Doubletrouble, we just keep WebmasterAlex locked away in a dark little closet, lit only by the glow of the monitor, hacking away at the VBulletin code 24 hours a day. :)

LOL, LOL, LOL (doesn't translate right without the graphics...)

BTW, will we be able to delete our own posts? I have a sports boards I visit, and this is allowed. It's nice when you double post, etc. Plus, why spend the bandwidth on something the poster doesn't want people to see?

I'm not getting any responses to my post in my e-mail account. I've checked my User CP and everything seems to be ok but it's not working. Anyone else have this problem? If not, what do I need to check or change?

Thanks
Sue

From WebmasterAlex:

We are making great progress on getting the boards the way we all want them. I wanted to let everyone know that I am traveling through tuesday
(I'm going to Disneyworld!!!!!!!)
so there will be a bit of a slow down untill I return.
Thanks so much for your patience.

I'd guess that about 80% of the questions and emails we are getting now deal with users who are having trouble logging in, or staying logged in.

The solution to this problem is usually to clear your Internet Explorer cookies, using the instructions in the first post.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter