Eek! Best strategies for rain?

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
I know things can change...but this is not fun to see...424727

I know things can change...but this is not fun to see...View attachment 424727
Isn't that what the forecast looks like everyday during the summer in Florida? We were just there 8/1-8/5 and it said the same thing. Yes, it did rain each afternoon (and all night one day), but we had beautiful sunshine the rest of the time! Just be prepared with your umbrella and ponchos!

Don't worry. Florida has rain almost every single afternoon or evening. Plan to do early morning, also to avoid hottest part of the day, and don't worry about the rest. If it rains, do inside rides, have a few ponchos, and have fun. I promise, unless a hurricane is coming through (and even that is only a couple of days) you'll mostly just get showers. Not all day rain.

During my 8 days there at the end of July it rained every day. Most days there were on and off afternoon showers.

Two days it rained pretty much the entire day.

One evening there were severe storms with lots of lightning.

A few afternoons I wore a poncho and kept on doing what I had planned. On the days it rained the entire day I decided to just get wet and enjoy the lower crowds. I wear all quick dry clothing in the parks and really didn't feel uncomfortable.

Sometimes if it was about to storm I headed back to my room for my afternoon break.

The thing is, it might be storming in one part of WDW but completely dry in another.

Only the night of severe storms interrupted my plans. I was visiting the monorail resorts and got stranded at the Poly for a couple hours. Once the lightning let up I took a bus to DS and transferred to my resort bus.

Last edited:

If you go from may through September, that's the forecast you're going to see. It doesn't mean that it's going to rain all day every day, just that it's probably going to rain some amount somewhere in the area.

As for strategies, mine is to keep doing what I'm doing while being soaked with water instead of sweat. I honestly find it to be a pleasant break from the heat and oppressive humidity that is Orlando in the summer

Some people like ponchos. They make me feel like a thanksgiving turkey in a roasting bag, but to each their own

Some people like umbrellas. I don't see the point. It keeps your hair dry, but your lower half is still going to get soaked if there's any wind at all. Also, the amount of people who can't use one without poking the people around them is shocking

Wear shoes that can handle getting wet. Some sort of sandal. Wet sneakers and socks are your enemy

If you want to try to avoid the rain, download the Dark Sky app. It's unbelievably accurate.

Last edited:
That’s the norm during the summer months. We got rained on a bit during our trip last week. It’s not a big deal since it typically passes quickly. We bring umbrellas and ponchos. Most outdoor rides still operate unless it’s lightening or deemed unsafe. All in all it’s really not a big deal maybe take a snack break or hit an indoor ride if you see the clouds rolling In.

ETA I wore my sanuk flip flops. They are comfy but dry fast. The thought of walking around in wet sneakers sounds like blisters waiting to happen. My kids wore their slides and Birkenstock’s.

Was there two weeks last August... leaving again in 3 days :)

We loved the rain! It cooled us off a bit and cleared the parks. We had light rainjackets and sandals that dried off quickly. When looking at the cloud satellite images, you have an idea of when the downpour will come and how long it will last. We would try to make our meals coincide with the heavy rain :) Don't worry!

If you go from may through September, that's the forecast you're going to see. It doesn't mean that it's going to rain all day every day, just that it's probably going to rain some amount somewhere in the area.

As for strategies, mine is to keep doing what I'm doing while being soaked with water instead of sweat. I honestly find it to be a pleasant break from the heat and oppressive humidity that is Orlando in the summer

Some people like ponchos. They make me feel like a thanksgiving turkey in a roasting bag, but to each their own

Some people like umbrellas. I don't see the point. It keeps your hair dry, but your lower half is still going to get soaked if there's any wind at all. Also, the amount of people who can't use one without poking the people around them is shocking

Wear shoes that can handle getting wet. Some sort of sandal. Wet sneakers and socks are your enemy

If you want to try to avoid the rain, download the Dark Sky app. It's unbelievably accurate.
Ditto to every single word of this! I LOL’ed at the sweat comment because it’s so spot-on.

We will be arriving in less than 48 hours. Been numerous times in August. As others have said it will rain almost every day, but not necessarily all day. Most of the time it's an afternoon shower or two. We put on our ponchos, change our shoes and keep going. Sometimes, the park will actually clear out a little, making our day more enjoyable. Should there be lightning or thunder we head into a shop or counter service restaurant.

Oh, by the way, I personally am in a ecv, renting one that is weather resistant, cover controls with a shower cap and keep going, except in storms!!

Just back; rained every day. Wear clothes you don't mind getting wet, esp. shoes (I bring at least one extra pair of whatever I want to switch into should I get soaked, and just leave them back in the room.) We had good luck planning for rain from 3-5 every afternoon, so picked a good spot to get rained in at, or headed back to room for a break. Check at least 2 different weather apps in the morning before you leave.

If I know it's going to be raining and I have to be out in it, I have a good rain jacket I prefer to a poncho. And, IMO, EPCOT is a good place to be stuck at for a bit in the rain, as you have several areas you can almost camp out in (for example; The land: ride Soarin, ride 'the Land, eat at sunshine seasons, or garden grill, or America; Voices of liberty, American adventure, shop, food, restrooms...)

Multiple pairs of shoes-- in your room, needs time to dry between, may need a trip to the dryer in the laundry room

Ponchos --I prefer one time use disposable

Last trip I saw people wearing foot covers, I've bought 2 pair & will try them out next amusement park trip for portability & durability (I hate wet socks).

Umbrella--good for rain or shine but mine is super tiny to fit in day pack, fits in my hand, wrist to finger tip.

Shelter in place during heavy rain--made the mistake of donning rain gear and moving to an indoor show, hind sight is 20/20, should've stayed where we were. Rain gear is only for light rain events.

Carry microfiber towel- mine is just larger than a washcloth & has a clip to attach outside my bag for drying. This can be used to dry off bodies or seats as outdoor rides & shows open back up.

Use a radar app- this will help you determine when it will arrive, how long to expect & how severe you're looking at. This will help you plan when & where you want to shelter.

I found myself slowing a meal WAY down as I watched an event roll in. Just chose where you'll shelter.

Mid-afternoon breaks in the room usually did the trick to avoiding afternoon pop ups.

Left the water park as an event rolled in, just used the app.

And last, but not least, plan a trip to DLR where it usually shows 0% chance of rain during a weeks trip!!

Last edited:
Additional tip on clothing. I wear stuff that dries fast so when we do get wet we dry quickly. A lot of times the rain is a welcome reprieve from the sun. Overcast days are nice when it’s so hot.

I will be there later this month as well. I have one of those silly umbrella hats, with Mickey ears that stand up, that is good for sun, and for keeping the head dry. It’s not hot like a regular hat and it doesn’t stand out as far from the body as a regular umbrella. I have a nylon rain poncho instead of plastic that isn’t nearly as hot. I fold the poncho and put it in a ziplock baggie in my purse. I also bring an additional pair of shoes so I can swap out if a pair gets soaked.

At least in summer it doesn’t rain all day. On my last December and January trips I had a day each trip where it rained and stormed all day. One of them, it was dark as night outside at noon. I will take the summer rains over that anytime.

May 2018 was very rainy for us, but we loved that trip. DD and I checked the hourly forecast everyday to know what to expect, carried umbrellas AND ponchos along with an empty plastic bag for those wet items to go into the backpack when the rain stopped. We had 3 pairs of shoes each, so there was always a dry pair in rotation. It actually ended up being less hot with all the cloud cover, so that was a plus!

We were at WDW 7/24-7/29, and I expected daily rain/storms as we were there the same time last year. What did surprise me tho was how much the parks DIDN’T clear out with the rain... that I didn’t remember. Agree tho- wear fast drying clothes and bring multiple shoe options to rotate when one pair gets wet.

It was a typo and a result of poor eyesight and a small phone screen.
There was someone else who wrote it like that on this thread too, that seems to have been corrected now. Was just saying that since it was written like that twice

Multiple pairs of shoes-- in your room, needs time to dry between, may need a trip to the dryer in the laundry room

Ponchos --I prefer one time use disposable

Last trip I saw people wearing foot covers, I've bought 2 pair & will try them out next amusement park trip for portability & durability (I hate wet socks).

Umbrella--good for rain or shine but mine is super tiny to fit in day pack, fits in my hand, wrist to finger tip.

Shelter in place during heavy rain--made the mistake of donning rain gear and moving to an indoor show, hind sight is 20/20, should've stayed where we were. Rain gear is only for light rain events.

Carry microfiber towel- mine is just larger than a washcloth & has a clip to attach outside my bag for drying. This can be used to dry off bodies or seats as outdoor rides & shows open back up.

Use a radar app- this will help you determine when it will arrive, how long to expect & how severe you're looking at. This will help you plan when & where you want to shelter.

I found myself slowing a meal WAY down as I watched an event roll in. Just chose where you'll shelter.

Mid-afternoon breaks in the room usually did the trick to avoiding afternoon pop ups.

Left the water park as an event rolled in, just used the app.

And last, but not least, plan a trip to DLR where it usually shows 0% chance of rain during a weeks trip!!
Shoe's are not allowed in the dryer. There are signs posted about this in the laundry rooms to keep people from damaging the dryers.. For wet shoes you can stuff them with newspaper to dry them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter