El Tel & Co Dining Reviews (with photos) 21 Oct to 4 Nov - Day 8

El Tel

Mouseketeer
DAY 8 – SATURDAY 28th OCTOBER 2006

My trip report for this day can be found here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1298973

The plan for today is to do Epcot thoroughly, well at least Future World or World Showcase. The intention is to get there early and have breakfast at the Electric Umbrella. We have an ADR for 1pm at the Biergarten and an ADR for 7.30pm at the Rose & Crown. Yes, you’ve guessed it – watch Illuminations during desert.

Meals ended up as follows:

Breakfast
DW and DS got up late today so DD and I agreed to head off to Epcot without them and meet up later.

DD took the bus to Epcot but when we got there we found that the Electric Umbrella did not serve breakfast – I’m certain I read that it did, but never mind we’ll head for the Fountain View Bakery for some pastries. Oh dear – it looks like that has turned into a wine bar during the Food & Wine Festival. After getting a few rides lined up we eventually got breakfast at Sunshine Seasons in The Land Pavilion – details below:

Time: 10:40am
Location: Sunshine Seasons, Land Pavilion, Future World, Epcot

Overall:
Food rating: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

This was quite a good breakfast – certainly on a par with both Tusker House and Mara. Unfortunately I did not get an itemised bill – just the total, with tax. That was $19.98

Me:
Breakfast Plate
Large Orange Juice

DD:
Breakfast Plate
Large Orange Juice

They both looked like this:
113791PA281426-resize.jpg

In the meantime DW and DS had gone to the usual haunt (Mara) and got:

Time: 11:00am

Overall:
Service: 6/10
Atmosphere: 6/10

DW:
Breakfast Wrap - $5.59
Large Orange Juice - $2.99

DS:
Breakfast Wrap - $5.59
Large Orange Juice - $2.99

Lunch
Time: 01:00pm

Overall:
Food rating: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 8/10

Me:
Lunch Buffet - $19.99
½ Litre Oktoberfest beer - $7.46 (excluded from Dining Plan)

DW:
Lunch Buffet - $19.99

DS:
Lunch Buffet - $19.99

DD:
Lunch Buffet - $19.99

I wasn’t initially keen on going to the Biergarten because I wasn’t sure if the family would like the food or the atmosphere, however we had a family chat and Biergarten got the thumbs up. Suits me – I was looking forward to a beer.

In the event we came away a little disappointed. The food was perfectly edible but nothing spectacular (though viewing the photos now, it seems ok).
We were seated with a family from the Tampa area who often visited WDW for meals, especially during the Food & Drink Festival. They were talkative, so I was talkative back. The entertainment was good wholesome fun (and loudly enjoyed by all – especially our friends from Tampa) but a little short.
113791PA281445-resize.jpg

113791PA281434-resize.jpg

I discovered that the head of the group was an aerospace engineer – which was originally my area of expertise, and his wife was in healthcare IT systems – which is my current area of expertise. We got on fine but hit a few awkward patches that I steered away from rather than make a fuss. At one point he said how the Harrier was so much better now it was an American aircraft (I was a member of the design team, so that went down well). Later I asked which his favourite restaurants in World Showcase were. The answer was the San Angel Inn in Mexico - they like Mexican food; and the Bistro de Paris in France – but they don’t go there anymore. I asked why, thinking they had a bad dining experience, and quickly realised the error of my ways as we steered onto the subject of Iraq and lack of gratitude for services previously rendered, etc. Again, I steered off the subject – holidays and politics don’t mix in my view.

My DW was looking miserable in the corner – I thought all this chat must have upset her. To be fair, he tried to cheer her up with a few jokes about wives. I’m not sure it worked, especially as it turned out that she had split a tooth and was not in the best of moods. (We didn’t find this out until we got home – but my DW suffered with toothache whenever she ate during the rest of the trip.
Maybe my initial thoughts were correct. The family didn’t enjoy the biergarten as much as they thought they would, or I hoped they would – so we probably won’t go back (except for the beer which was pretty good).
Anyway here are some food photos. Unfortunately I didn’t note what it was, but you can work some of it out I’m sure. The desert was quite nice though – especially the one with blueberries in it.
113791PA281429-resize.jpg

113791PA281430-resize.jpg

113791PA281432-resize.jpg

113791PA281433-resize.jpg

113791PA281435-resize.jpg

113791PA281436-resize.jpg

113791PA281438-resize.jpg

113791PA281442-resize.jpg

113791PA281444-resize.jpg

Dinner

Time: 07:30pm

Overall:
Service: 5/10
Atmosphere: 9/10

Me:
Fruit and Cheese Plate - Stilton, Camembert, and cheeses from Five Counties: Derby, Leicester, Cheshire, Double Gloucester and Cheddar served with seasonal fruit $8.99
Surf and Turf - Grilled Steak with horseradish aioli, Harry Ramsden's Batter-fried Fish, green beans and mashed potatoes - $23.99
Sticky Toffee Pudding - $4.99
Diet Coke - $?

DW:
Prawn Cocktail - Petite bay shrimp tossed in a traditional cocktail sauce - $7.99
Cottage Pie - ground beef with carrots, topped with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese, served with green beans - $14.99
Sticky Toffee Pudding - $4.99
Diet Coke - $?

DS:
Prawn Cocktail - Petite bay shrimp tossed in a traditional cocktail sauce - $7.99
Grilled Steak - served with Yorkshire pudding, green beans, mashed potatoes and beef demi glace - $21.99
Warm Apple Crumble - topped with ice cream - $4.99
Sprite - $?

DD:
Potato and Leek Soup - roasted potatoes, cream and leeks - $4.99
Grilled Steak - served with Yorkshire pudding, green beans, mashed potatoes and beef demi glace - $21.99
Warm Apple Crumble - topped with ice cream - $4.99
Tea - $?

In addition we bought the following beverages (which were not included on the Dining Plan):

Bass Ale – $7.50
Café Latte – $3.49
Cappuccino – $3.69
3 x Orange Juice - $6.09

We had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated – so we were given a pager and told we could wander around the UK and Canada if we wished. When we were called we were seated out on the patio which seemed an ideal position to watch Illuminations. The patio has a lower area at the front and a raised area at the back near the building itself. The whole area was covered by an awning.
We were introduced to our server (from Essex) and duly ordered our appetisers and entrees.
The appetisers came fairly quickly. My DW was a bit surprised by the prawn cocktail – it wasn’t the bowl of tiny prawns smothered in Thousand Island dressing that she expected. So, low marks on authenticity but probably better marks on taste.
113791PA291458-resize.jpg

DD said her Potato and Leek soup was very good.
113791PA291459-resize.jpg

I thought the Fruit and Cheese plate was perfectly acceptable – good but nothing outstanding.
113791PA291461-resize.jpg

Then came the bit that annoyed me and dropped the Rose & Crown marks for service. Whilst we were still eating our appetisers, a waitress came out (not our assigned server though) and deposited our entrees on the table. Plates were teetering on the edge as space was cramped. I got the feeling that they wanted to move us out quickly – maybe to get another group in before Illuminations, I don’t know. Well I finished up my appetiser and made sure I ate my entrée nice and slow – well you need to chew it slowly to ensure you digest it right.

My wife found her cottage pie to be pretty average as far as cottage pies go – it looked reasonably photogenic though.
113791PA291463-resize.jpg

The kids thought their steaks were okay, but again nothing to write home about.
113791PA291462-resize.jpg

My Surf and Turf was average pub grub too. The steak wasn’t tough but not particularly tender or tasty either. The fish looked like an eel as it seemed to be a battered tube – however it tasted like cod. I could get better fish and chips at home – but I often say that Harry Ramsden’s is over-rated.
113791PA291464-resize.jpg

I managed to hold off finishing my entrée until just before the start of Illuminations. Our server then took orders for deserts which came out when Illuminations started. Unfortunately, it was a bit difficult to watch the show at the same time as eat the desert. The alternative was to let the desert get cold.

Our Sticky Toffee Pudding was well presented and quite tasty – though the toffee seemed to be poured over the top of the sponge, rather than being cooked with the sponge as I’ve had on other occasions.
113791PA291469-resize.jpg

The kids liked their Apple Crumble, but again it had a different take from versions at home – and the portion fitted in a ramekin dish, so it wasn’t that big.
113791PA291470-resize.jpg

As for Illuminations, you couldn’t beat the Rose & Crown for proximity. We seemed quite a bit closer than at other points around World Showcase. Would I recommend it? I’m not so sure. I like to see everything that is going on. Unless you are right at the front of the patio, you will find that the awning obscures your view of fireworks high in the sky, the lasers, searchlights, etc. I felt it was like looking at Illuminations through a slot in a letterbox. Though it was nice to sit down and eat whilst watching, it did mean you either missed bits of the display or you let your meal get cold.
113791DSCF0738-resize.jpg

113791DSCF0744-resize.jpg

113791DSCF0745-resize.jpg

113791DSCF0746-resize.jpg

So, we left the Rose and Crown a little disappointed – mainly due to an obscured version of Illuminations and rushed service. I still tipped our server over and above the amount included in the Dining Plan despite the problems earlier – I figured it wasn’t her fault as she didn’t deliver the entrees.

As you can see, the day started out with great expectations of Biergarten and the Rose and Crown but we were left a bit underwhelmed on both counts (I was really hoping to fly the flag on this one too!). Never mind, tomorrow is Day 9 – and we have an ADR at the California Grill. That has got to be good, hasn’t it?

Thanks for the detailed reviews and photos! We are eating at R&C on our next trip, I think I might try that sticky toffee - it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the reviews and pictures. Your fireworks pictures are really lovely! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter