Embarkation Day lunch

The first day can be a bother between carry-on luggage and everyone arriving. The last time we took a spin around Cabanas, didn't see anything, and went to the adult bar for a bit. We walked thru Cabanas close to 3, grabbed some whole fruit and went to our stateroom. We're not big eaters. I don't work for my food so no crab legs for me :)

As of a few weeks ago, the embarkation lunch was being held in animators. I don't have a menu from that day, but do not recall pork chops or crab claws.

If we want to swim and eat lunch by the pool on embarkation day, what do we do with our carryons? Are there large lockers (large enough for standard sized carryons) near pools?

As of last month on the Dream, Concierge guests are able to have lunch at the Royal Palace instead of Cabanas, but there definitely weren’t crab legs or anything fancy.

As of a few weeks ago, the embarkation lunch was being held in animators. I don't have a menu from that day, but do not recall pork chops or crab claws.
As of last month on the Dream, Concierge guests are able to have lunch at the Royal Palace instead of Cabanas, but there definitely weren’t crab legs or anything fancy.

crab legs and lamb chops are on the buffet in Cabanas, not in any of the sit down lunches.

concierge lunch is similar but a little upgraded with tenderloin instead of sirloin steak and lobster salad in addition to the regular menu and I think one more dessert... but otherwise the same.

Just did cruise Early Nov. on Fantasy. We decide it was cabanas this time for us as MDR was ok but just wasn't our cup of tea. We had boarding group 2 and went right up, no issues getting table and getting food. The sea food(crab legs, shrimp) were on back buffet not main line.

We were in boarding groups 7 and 2 on our last two cruises. We headed right to Cabana's. Tip: don't wait for the main elevator; go down the hall to the aft elevator. It lets you out right in Cabana's on deck 11 (on Dream and Fantasy anyway) and there isn't the huge line that the main elevator usually has. Tip two: if you can, eat outside! It's nice, and for us being from Ohio we'd rather eat outside if we have the chance. Sometimes it will be wall to wall inside but few people venturing outside.
This time we are relying on DCL transport from WDW so we'll see what time we get there, but I still plan to eat in Cabana's on day 1.
We're from Ohio too! Our first cruise from Port Canaveral in February, we found Cabanas to be very crowded and actually shared a table with an older couple who didn't say a word. We decided on our second cruise to do a MDR for lunch. But this last time we had an early port arrival time and did Cabanas, because we love the variety. We didn't eat outside, though, because we were sailing out of New York in November!

Has anyone had to wait to have lunch at the MDR? I would think that more people would be doing this.

No crab claws or lamb chops in the MDR. These menus remain pretty accurate, given that DCL update menus about once a decade: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/embarkation-lunch-menu/

Cabanas is a mad house.
They do serve crab legs multiple times during a cruise. Not sure about lamb, because buffet lamb chops do not sound great to me because lamb requires delicacy in cooking.

Thanks for the link! I didn't know about that website until you posted this but it has been helpful with some other questions!

I know it's pretty hard to cook lamb perfectly, which is why I never do it at home, but it is one of my very favorite meats and I order it at restaurants at virtually every opportunity. For me, even not-so-perfectly prepared lamb is still better than most other foods!

We sit by the pool and grab something from one of the quick-service places poolside on embarkation day. WAAAAAAAAY less crowded.

Sound like a great idea! Maybe we will find space by the pool, grab some lamb and crab legs from Cabanas, then order some fresh hot chicken tenders and fries poolside! :goodvibes

To avoid crowds:
If you are driving yourself or taking private transportation try and get one of the earliest Port Arrival Times and head straight to Cabanas.
Or cabins are available at 1:30 so Cabanas tends to be less busy at this time because people want to get in their cabins as soon as possible. So go to Cabanas at 1:30.
When we arrive we find a table first and get our drinks and then have someone stay with the table as others get food. My family will usually grab me a small plate of shrimp while I wait at the table, they then come back with their full plates and I head out.

Thanks for this great advice! So unfortunately, we are not feeling very "in control" of when we get on the ship. First of all, we were late to the booking party, we only booked about 45 days out. I was surprised to still find PATs at 12:15-12:30, which is earlier than I thought we'd get, but still, I'm not expecting to be early on the ship. The other issue is that we are taking a shared shuttle with GoPort from Orlando, so I have no idea how many stops we have to make on our way to the port (though I did book the hotel with the earliest shuttle time and an advertisement it would be early to port). I'm hoping we arrive significantly earlier than our PAT but, like I said, we don't have control of that.

If we're later to board than we'd like, maybe we will do what you suggest and just go after 1:30 to Cabanas. I don't think we will have trouble finding an open bar for some refreshment while we wait out the crowds! :thumbsup2

That's a well trained family :-)

:flower:Gotta love a family with a plan...and training!

Has anyone had to wait to have lunch at the MDR? I would think that more people would be doing this.

Our first cruise we knew we wanted to eat in the MDR (it was Triton’s on the Wonder). When we walked by after boarding they were trying to get people to come in and eat there. We had other stuff to do and by the time we came back the host was adamant that they were full and we should go to cabanas so we wouldn’t have to wait. We told him we’d wait and I think we were seated in a couple of minutes. Our next cruise had no wait in the MDR. I think when they tell you there’s a wait they’re trying to steer you to cabanas.

I enjoy the buffet and the options. I just don't let the crazy crowds bug me. Grab a table and enjoy. :)

Totally! We're on vacation! We're on a ship, we know what to expect. Great perspective.

We do the same thing when we want to have embarkation lunch at Cabanas: either the earliest PAT and straight to lunch, or swim first and then eat after the staterooms are open for business. Best advice I ever got from this forum!

I'm loving it too and I think I'm going with it! Drink and a hot tub...then lunch (crab claws and lamb chops)!

We find Cabanas very crowded, not so chaotic. On the Fantasy and Dream (not sure about the Magic and Wonder), there are different "stations" throughout the restaurant; not just 1 long line. Plus, the buffet is in the shape of a huge horse shoe with the same food on both sides.

And we shall go to the left! :)
Great to see your perspective that it seems like a controlled crowd. I have experienced otherwise on other lines!

^ This. I’ve never found it “chaotic,” either. Just very, very busy. The biggest hassle is finding a table. Once you snag one of those, you’re fine.

The wait-til-1:30 thing makes a whole lot of sense. However, for us, the Cabanas lunch has always been the point in time when we finally exhale and let the vacation begin. So we’re willing to spend a few minutes up-front hunting for a table vs. pushing lunch back to 1:30.

We are flying in the night before and thinking about spending time in Disney Springs. DH and I were just talking about "when does the vacation actually begin for us?" I think it might be when we're leaving home for the airport...or at the very latest, when we're on the plane! So I don't think there will be a big difference for us personally about rushing to the buffet. IDK though...I will definitely write a trip report and let you know about this! :thumbsup2

^ This! Find a table and enjoy! My family loves the lamb chops too!

:cloud9:

So yummy, can't wait!

We did the MDR on the Fantasy in June. It was a nice way to start since there were 12 of us and we didn't have to try to find a table.

Only two adults in our party this time, so I'm hoping we have some luck finding a table. The lunch menu looks nice but a bit limited in MDR, not sure if DH would be satisfied. (we'd end up with second lunch at Cabanas anyway haha)

I love lamb chops, and the Dream used to have real good ones, but last year they changed them. Now they aren't worth it. They used to have the bone, not now, and they were too thin, very disappointing. Don't get your hopes up for them. They also didn't have the pink sauce I liked for the shrimp. It was a disappointment for my first day. Get there early and head to the buffet right when they open and the crowds aren't bad. View attachment 456345

Thank you for reminding me to manage my expectations! I firmly believe that happiness and satisfaction are in large part a function of expectations, so I will keep mine within reason. The lamb chops will be thin and sitting under a heat lamp. Duly noted! (I still want some lol). At least I have never had that pink sauce so I won't know what I'm missing. I tend to not love peel and eat shrimp from buffets, so I'm not expecting anything at all from them. But then, hey, there's room to pleasantly surprise me!

Also thank you for that photo!! What a gorgeous shot of that view and all those nice available tables...and your smiley, relaxed, "I'm on vacation" face, priceless!

I don't love the buffet on embarkation day (on any cruise line, honestly) as I find it really unwieldy with 3 kids. I LOVED our embarkation lunch at Lumiere's on the Magic. We were seated right away and the food came quickly and I didn't have to maneuver myself around everyone's carryons etc.

Agree I have had similar experiences both with chaotic buffets lugging stuff around vs peaceful, quiet a la carte dining on embarkation! But we are just DH and I, no kids in tow. We'll see, maybe we are ready for a different experience. I will report back!:thumbsup2

I agree. Sitting down in the main restaurant for embarkation lunch is great too!

You're on vacation, enjoy whichever way you like. You earned it!

Vacation! Right on! :thumbsup2

We have avoided peak times and had no trouble at Cabanas. First two cruises we arrived late (1:30/2pm). It was crowded, but no different than any buffet at WDW. The food was still being refreshed constantly, so no downside to eating late that I could see. Third cruise we got an early PAT (10:45), were assigned to group 5 and went straight there after we boarded and it was EMPTY when we got there, like, fewer than 10 families, and got a fantastic table right by the window and no waits for food. That was definitely the better of the two experiences, but I wouldn't say it was bad either time. By the time we left around 1pm, it was definitely more crowded than the times we arrived later, but it didn't seem unmanageable: you would just have to wait in line at the stations.

The lamb chops and crab were delicious :D

We aren't going to be in total control of boarding time, so we just have to accept what happens. I appreciate your reassurance that whatever time we board, all will be great!

I don't remember lamb chops, but the crab legs are in Cabanas (Fantasy anyway) every lunch. If you want to try Cabanas and want to avoid the rush, get there early and grab a table or get there later and grab table. Don't forget there is outdoor seating, too, but it's more of a hassle to be opening doors with plates and drinks in your hands (no trays).

Thanks for the advice! We might just have to go a bit later. This is probably better anyway, since we have the late seating for dinner. I hope we want to be outside in Port Canaveral on January 4!

We were on the Dream last month and had lunch at Cabanas on embarkation day. I was concerned about the crowds and chaos during embarkation after reading posts on here, but it was totally fine.

We chose Cabanas because my kids were starving after a very early morning flight and the bus to the port - I wanted to be able to feed them immediately. And also because my husband wanted to try the lamb that Corey and Craig from the Dis always rave about. He was not disappointed. I loved the crab legs!

We had no trouble finding a table at 12:45. Sure, there were lots of people, but it was not overwhelming to us at all. We kind of liked all the activity and excitement around us. Everyone smiling, ready for a good time.

We have 2 little kids so sometimes buffets can be tough - getting their food and our food in multiple trips, but we were able to grab what we needed pretty efficiently. I’d do Cabanas for embarkation lunch again in a minute.

Thanks for the reassurance! DH and I love watching two dudes on a cruise videos too, and I'm pretty sure Corey and Craig with the lamb chops and crab legs put DH over the top for saying yes to finally trying DCL! So NOT eating crab legs and lamb chops on embarkation was not really an option...it was more about if they'd be available in MDR, and seems like a clear no. So it will be Cabanas for sure, and I'm getting less anxious the more I read. :cloud9:

I loooove Cabana's for lunch on embarkation day. The excitement you feel in the dining room as everyone is coming on for the trip they've waiting months, if not years, for! This is going to sound weird, but it's like the anticipation and fervor you feel as you're heading into Walmart on Black Friday! If you need to throw some elbows to get to those crab claws or snag a table if you got boarding group 15, then do what you gotta do!

You're really getting me in the mood for buffet madness, and if a child or two has to take the brunt of my excitement, hey, their parents knew where they were bringing them! :goodvibes

We were in boarding groups 7 and 2 on our last two cruises. We headed right to Cabana's. Tip: don't wait for the main elevator; go down the hall to the aft elevator. It lets you out right in Cabana's on deck 11 (on Dream and Fantasy anyway) and there isn't the huge line that the main elevator usually has. Tip two: if you can, eat outside! It's nice, and for us being from Ohio we'd rather eat outside if we have the chance. Sometimes it will be wall to wall inside but few people venturing outside.
This time we are relying on DCL transport from WDW so we'll see what time we get there, but I still plan to eat in Cabana's on day 1.

Love the tips about the aft elevator and the outside tables. I hope we want to be outside in Port Canaveral on January 4! :banana:

We have lunch at the quick serve by the pools pretty much every day, as the crowds at Cabanas are always hard, and people aren't polite.

:sad1: Sorry your experiences at Cabanas haven't been pleasant. Hope you like the quick service options though! From what I have been reading, it sounds like they're good to great! We hope to have many meals and snacks there. And I know about rude people. I promise I will try not to be one of them.

Thanks for the advice! We might just have to go a bit later. This is probably better anyway, since we have the late seating for dinner. I hope we want to be outside in Port Canaveral on January 4!

Thanks for the reassurance! DH and I love watching two dudes on a cruise videos too, and I'm pretty sure Corey and Craig with the lamb chops and crab legs put DH over the top for saying yes to finally trying DCL! So NOT eating crab legs and lamb chops on embarkation was not really an option...it was more about if they'd be available in MDR, and seems like a clear no. So it will be Cabanas for sure, and I'm getting less anxious the more I read. :cloud9:

You're really getting me in the mood for buffet madness, and if a child or two has to take the brunt of my excitement, hey, their parents knew where they were bringing them! :goodvibes

Love the tips about the aft elevator and the outside tables. I hope we want to be outside in Port Canaveral on January 4! :banana:

:sad1: Sorry your experiences at Cabanas haven't been pleasant. Hope you like the quick service options though! From what I have been reading, it sounds like they're good to great! We hope to have many meals and snacks there. And I know about rude people. I promise I will try not to be one of them.
2 Dudes on a Cruise? This sounds hilarious. (Runs off to surf Youtube) be right back....

The first day can be a bother between carry-on luggage and everyone arriving. The last time we took a spin around Cabanas, didn't see anything, and went to the adult bar for a bit. We walked thru Cabanas close to 3, grabbed some whole fruit and went to our stateroom. We're not big eaters. I don't work for my food so no crab legs for me :)

Yeah we are thinking adult bar and/or hot tub, then Cabanas. We are bigger eaters than we'd like to be, and meals are important part of the vacation for us. Hence the lamb and crab claws question! Thanks for your perspective!

Yeah, thanks, all signs point to a big NO! I hope you enjoyed your lunch and your cruise!

If we want to swim and eat lunch by the pool on embarkation day, what do we do with our carryons? Are there large lockers (large enough for standard sized carryons) near pools?

I'm actually wondering why people have so many carry-ons. We are only bringing carry-ons and personal items on the trip, as we do not intend to check luggage for an extra fee with the airline. Can't we give our carry-ons to the porters at the cruise terminal (as this is our our luggage) and have them delivered to the stateroom?

You have to keep them with you.

Please see my comment one post above.

Thanks for the info! Hope you had a great lunch and cruise!

crab legs and lamb chops are on the buffet in Cabanas, not in any of the sit down lunches.

concierge lunch is similar but a little upgraded with tenderloin instead of sirloin steak and lobster salad in addition to the regular menu and I think one more dessert... but otherwise the same.

Thank you for clarifying!

Just did cruise Early Nov. on Fantasy. We decide it was cabanas this time for us as MDR was ok but just wasn't our cup of tea. We had boarding group 2 and went right up, no issues getting table and getting food. The sea food(crab legs, shrimp) were on back buffet not main line.

Thanks for the tip on where to find the seafood. Yeah I looked at that lunch menu and it seems very limited. Hope you enjoyed the Fantasy and your cruise!

We're from Ohio too! Our first cruise from Port Canaveral in February, we found Cabanas to be very crowded and actually shared a table with an older couple who didn't say a word. We decided on our second cruise to do a MDR for lunch. But this last time we had an early port arrival time and did Cabanas, because we love the variety. We didn't eat outside, though, because we were sailing out of New York in November!

DH and I would be happy to share our table! We are a little chatty. Hope you enjoyed your sailing out of NYC. Were you on the one to San Juan? Yeah we hope it will be warm enough in Port Canaveral on January 4 to eat outside. Dicey!

I recently watched a YouTube video of family who tried to get into MDR on embarkation and was turned away because it was full!

Our first cruise we knew we wanted to eat in the MDR (it was Triton’s on the Wonder). When we walked by after boarding they were trying to get people to come in and eat there. We had other stuff to do and by the time we came back the host was adamant that they were full and we should go to cabanas so we wouldn’t have to wait. We told him we’d wait and I think we were seated in a couple of minutes. Our next cruise had no wait in the MDR. I think when they tell you there’s a wait they’re trying to steer you to cabanas.

But why would they try to steer more people to Cabanas? Seems they'd try to spread the crowds.

We've never had any trouble at Cabanas on debarkation day.

Thanks for the great news!

We prefer Cabana’s because we want to be on our own time frame. Too exciting and wanting to explore the ship than to be tied down to the pace of a MDR. The crowds in Cabana’s never bother us. We just go in with patience and know that we’re dining with a few thousand of our new closest friends. We’re not expecting a private dining experience party:

Sound like a great idea! Maybe we will find space by the pool, grab some lamb and crab legs from Cabanas, then order some fresh hot chicken tenders and fries poolside! :goodvibes

Oooh, great idea. BTW, something about the honey mustard they put out by the quick-service stations seemed substantially better last week. Maybe it was just because we were so excited to be there, lol, but it was SO good. My kids put that on literally everything all week, including dipping their pizza in it (gross, but really not...it was THAT good).

We do early PAT and we are gold so we normally get on right away and have no issues with tables or with the lines at the buffet. It gets busy but it's manuvarable. They have always had stone crab claws and lamb on all 4 ships I have been on. Last cruise was July 2018 so we'll see in Jan when we are on the Dream again. DH loves buffets cause he can't make a decision to save his life and it's easy for him to grab a little of this or that. Me, I don't care. As long as there is a decent salad option, I'm good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter