• Lunch in the MDR

Votes: 45 31.9%

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Arrive late enough to just go to my room

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other? Please explain.

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
I tend to do exactly the opposite. Please: everyone keep going to eat first, so that I can get a Palo brunch reservation!
I always have my Palo already booked so no worries there ;). Plus, the dining reservations don't open until 12:30, typically, so if you have an early boarding that provides plenty of time to eat and then get there promptly.

I always have my Palo already booked so no worries there ;). Plus, the dining reservations don't open until 12:30, typically, so if you have an early boarding that provides plenty of time to eat and then get there promptly.

I think that only works for Platinums and Concierge. I've got our TA keeping any eye out, but I doubt we'll be able to book prior to embarkation.

Our kids are always starving, so straight to Cabanas -- usually our only lunch of the cruise there! We do the rest at quick serve.

We have been on two cruises. The first cruise we headed straight to Cabanas. We didn't have any trouble finding a table. For the second cruise, we headed straight to Guest Services. Our itinerary was changed last minute because of weather and we were getting an unexpected extra day at Castaway Cay so we wanted to try to get a cabana. It took us awhile to secure one so we didn't get to Cabanas right away, but once we got there we easily found a table. The next day was a different story as they had given our cabana to a different family before we got there, but ultimately it worked out.

Our first few cruises we would head to Cabanas. For our Merrytime cruise I had to go sign up for the gingerbread making class. Our next two after that, they offered a movie in buenavista at noon. They don't seem to offer that anymore. So now we go to the MDR. We liked going to the movies the best. We could grab some fast food and eat in the theater. Rooms were ready when it was over, so we headed there to decorate our door, do some unpacking and get ready for muster drill.

We love to "counter program" the crowds as much as possible.

So we eat a big (and late) breakfast, so that when we get on board we know we won't be eating lunch until 1:30. At 1:30, Cabanas is EMPTY. So is the sit down. Meanwhile the rooms and hallways are swamped at that time so we avoid the rooms then. Once we finish lunch, then the hallways to the rooms have emptied out.

As for the luggage, it is a pain. Putting them under the lunch table is no fun, but doable. Depending on your situation, you might be able to do what we do. One person finds a nice comfy lounge chair somewhere in the shade, we PILE all of the carry-on luggage with them, and then they just sit there and relax and "watch" the luggage while the rest of us go off unfettered. We often bring food to that person, or we can come get them and lug the luggage to dining room. Whichever they prefer. It really is a nice win-win.

I think that only works for Platinums and Concierge. I've got our TA keeping any eye out, but I doubt we'll be able to book prior to embarkation.
We are neither Platinum or Concierge and have successfully booked Palo brunch prior to embarkation for all three of our cruises. Good luck and happy sailing!!

We've only just booked for the August 5th Dream sailing so wasn't surprised to find all the tasting sessions already booked up, although I did manage to snag a Champagne tasting earlier today - presumably from someone else's cancellation.

So, I'm intrigued at those who sign up for these when they first get on board - does this mean that some spaces are held back and/or there will be sessions put on beyond those available (or not available as the case is) online?

I like to head to the MDR to find a quite spot to enjoy a meal. After my meal I will just relax a bit and if necessary I will head over to make any changes to my MDR or try to add a Palo/Remy reservations. If I don't have to make any changes/additions to my meals I will stay in the MDR until my cabin is ready.

We've only just booked for the August 5th Dream sailing so wasn't surprised to find all the tasting sessions already booked up, although I did manage to snag a Champagne tasting earlier today - presumably from someone else's cancellation.

So, I'm intrigued at those who sign up for these when they first get on board - does this mean that some spaces are held back and/or there will be sessions put on beyond those available (or not available as the case is) online?

They not only seem to hold some seats back for each tasting, but they have some types of tastings not even listed or available to book early. If on embarkation day you head to the sign up area listed in the navigator (it has changed depending on our cruise) and ask for a complete list of tastings available, they will had you a huge list, with several options of specialty tastings that were never even offered to pre-book (it's usually a more specialized tasting of one of the general categories offered for pre-booking).

We used to go to Cariocas (when on the Magic) for lunch but stopped doing MDR when it was no longer a buffet. We board earlier (Platinum) and head to Cabanas. Sometimes it has been crowded but I am in a vacation frame of mind and not much bothers me:) The shrimp is my first go to and if the weather is nice a table outside by the railing and I am in Heaven.

Well board and eat at Cabanas then go take care of what ever we need, like dining changes, Palo or whatever else. I dont think it's ever been so busy we couldnt find a place to sit.

They not only seem to hold some seats back for each tasting, but they have some types of tastings not even listed or available to book early. If on embarkation day you head to the sign up area listed in the navigator (it has changed depending on our cruise) and ask for a complete list of tastings available, they will had you a huge list, with several options of specialty tastings that were never even offered to pre-book (it's usually a more specialized tasting of one of the general categories offered for pre-booking).
Are tastings just alcohol or would there also be food tastings?

Sometimes we go to the special lunch served to Concierge level guests. In February we did a back to back cruise boarded early for the second cruise and ate at Cabanas. I like the variety at Cabanas but not the crowds.

We head straight to the empty pool! Adults take turns getting food from Cabanas while the kiddo swims.

I like to head to the MDR to find a quite spot to enjoy a meal. After my meal I will just relax a bit and if necessary I will head over to make any changes to my MDR or try to add a Palo/Remy reservations. If I don't have to make any changes/additions to my meals I will stay in the MDR until my cabin is ready.

I wish we could do this, have a quiet lunch at MDR, sipping a nice cold mimosa while waiting for our room and planning the cruise ahead... my DD13 refuses to go to MDR bc she says 'going to cabanas is a tradition'... smh.... so I'm stuck with dealing with the cabanas stampede every cruise we've been on...
Is there a time when that zoo is less busy on embarkation day?

That's when you tell her it's time for a new tradition. But I will say, last time we sailed we had a 10:30 PAT and were in group 2. We went straight to Cabanas and were practically opening the place. Almost all the tables were available and even a few of the food stations were finalizing their displays. I'd say that was a great time to go. It did get busy quickly, but by then, we were already settled and eating.

Going to be taking my first cruise in a few months, and reading this has been helpful! But I’m also now wondering the difference between Cabanas offerings and the MDR lunch options that first lunch. Is there a posted menu for the MDR anywhere?

@Santa Cecilia
This was the MDR embarkation lunch menu at Lumiere's on the Magic last summer:

Beef Empanadas

Grilled Salmon Salad

Roasted Beef Sirloin

Cookie and Cream Cheesecake

All Aboard Sundae

Carrot Cake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter