Employment for retirees at WDW?

Can you get a job there? Easily. Will it be what you want? maybe not.
Will you enjoy it? Many reports would say no. I used to think it would be a fun retirement part time job. Now, not so sure from reading many posts.

Can you get a job there? Easily. Will it be what you want? maybe not.
Will you enjoy it? Many reports would say no. I used to think it would be a fun retirement part time job. Now, not so sure from reading many posts.
Good points. I guess the best way to know for sure is to try it. If it's not what was expected then just quit.

If you work at WDW for at least 10 years you can retire from Disney and keep your main gate pass with free admission and discounts and some guest passes for the rest of your life. It’s a pretty good deal for those that were able to retire fairly young from another job.
That's correct and just to add that the Main Entrance Pass not only gets the retiree into the parks but also a minimum of three guests 16 times a year. In addition we get two regular Park Hoppers. The other discounts are huge, up to 50%, on resorts, restaurants and merchandise. Can be used at the Disney online store too.

The perk we use the most is the Disney Cruise Line perk which allows CMs/Retirees to book up to three cabins at a ridiculous discount . We cruised three times last year and are going to Europe this summer. The cruise was half the cost of the flight.

Me and all the Disney retirees I know are glad we put in the time. Yes, most of the Cons previously mentioned are correct but as long as you are flexible you quickly adapt and find ways to work around them. It's not for everyone. I enjoyed it most of the time.

That's correct and just to add that the Main Entrance Pass not only gets the retiree into the parks but also a minimum of three guests 16 times a year. In addition we get two regular Park Hoppers. The other discounts are huge, up to 50%, on resorts, restaurants and merchandise. Can be used at the Disney online store too.

The perk we use the most is the Disney Cruise Line perk which allows CMs/Retirees to book up to three cabins at a ridiculous discount . We cruised three times last year and are going to Europe this summer. The cruise was half the cost of the flight.

Me and all the Disney retirees I know are glad we put in the time. Yes, most of the Cons previously mentioned are correct but as long as you are flexible you quickly adapt and find ways to work around them. It's not for everyone. I enjoyed it most of the time.
Did you work indoors or outdoors? Boy I can’t imagine working in that heat outside during the summer in my 60’s.

Being a new hire you may be able to pick the job you want based on availability but thats about it. You will work where Disney wants you to work, when they want you to work, and what days off they will give you. Nights, weekends, holidays Disney is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week operation just be prepared for it.

You can request that you work in the same area with your wife and be on the same schedule and casting may tell you no problem but there are no guarantees. If you are able to work in the same location you will be at the mercy of the people who make up the schedule.

Castings job is to fill jobs and they may offer you something completely different that you applied for that was not listed on the web site.

With all that said if you want to go for it, go for it. The worst thing that can happen after time if you do not like the area you are in you can always request a transfer to another department or just leave the company.

I guess the big question is do you live in central Florida or would you move to work for Disney?
We do not live in central Flordia currently. We would not be moving to Florida expressly for the purpose of working at Disney--we just want to be warm!

Did you work indoors or outdoors? Boy I can’t imagine working in that heat outside during the summer in my 60’s.
My last position, and a really fun position, was in the Special Events Group so I could be indoors or outdoors at all the parks and resorts. It was a different event every day so whatever it was it was it was usually a one and done. The heat didn't bother me at all, I had more of an issue with the cold.

Direct sunlight vs shade would be more of my concern rather than hot vs cold. As I get older the cold Vermont winters start to wear on me. Of course I spend a lot of time in hockey rinks too.
I think I'd rather work at the resorts, or support infrastructure rather than the parks. I worked at a ski area for almost 20 years when I was younger, I'm accustomed to working near folks with vacation brain. 8-)

I have a new goal in life! Retire earlier enough to work 10 more years at Disney and retire again.

Thank you!!

Do you have to work full time for those 10 years or just have 10 years with the company?

Look for posts by dvczerfs. He moved from PA to FL a few years ago and began working at WDW. He just changed from an outdoor job to an indoor job per his most recent post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter