Epilepsy meds in WDW

Adrienne

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to ask if anyone has had bad experiences with either epilim or lamictal in the florida heat or any other issues re epilipesy meds. My gf has epilepsy and we will be planning a trip to the world sometime in the next year or so, the epilepsy consideration is all new to me so wanted to get some WDW specific info to keep me in the loop

TIA

Adrienne

I don't have time right now for a long reply, but just wanted to let you know that there are several links to past threads in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (near the top of the thread list for this board) that will be helpful to you.

My youngest DD has epilepsy and has been to WDW many times. She is also on Lamictal.

Two things off the top of my head.

One is you might want to look into Frio Wallets for when traveling. They are based in UK at www.friouk.com with lots of information. Their list of distributors includes one in Seacliff Park, SA. I know I use one for diabetes medicines and there are several others here who use them.

Second is the availability of free refrigerated storage at the First Aid locations at each park (including the water parks). These locations are staffed by Registered Nurses and open during park hours.

I don't know if the Epilum is pill for or liquid, but my child has been on Lamical for over 5 years, (she is 5 1/2) and has not had a problem traveling with it any where. She also takes Depakote, Klonapin and Zonegran.. two of these do cause her some problems when traveling due to side effects but otherwise we travel quite well.

Just make sure she takes her meds on schedule and does not allow herself to become dehydrated or overly tired (both a seizure trigger) and to keep cool during the afternoon heat by proper planning of activities..

We do quite a bit of traveling, my daughter , had intractible epilepsy in addtion to other medical issues (brain tumor, GDD etc) and we just plan ahead and usually manage quite well.

HTH..Nicole

DD has seizures and was on Tegratol and seizure free for about 5 years. We had a great trip to WDW but unfortunatly he did have a grand mal while we were there. We spent some time at Celebration ER. They were great. We are not sure if it was the exaustion,heat, dyhydration or the rides that may have triggered DD. It may have been one or all three and then throw in puberty and who knows. :confused3 We tried really hard to keep him cool and hydrated but who knows. He continued to have seizures even after we returned and we changed his meds to Topamax...which even messes up his body temp because he doesnt sweat much but he hasnt had a seizure since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter