• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Evening Extra Magic Hour be Disney's Answer to Universal's Front of the Line Access?

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if this might be so? Several people I work with are "Disney" people but this year they are staying at Universal because of the front of the line privledge. One of my co-workers went in the fall and stayed at Porto Fino and loved it and now 3 other usually "Disney on property " people are going to Universal instead of Disney. They all said that Disney doesn't offer resort guests the perks that Universal does and they want to be more "appreciated". Yes they are all vets of many trips and are not overly impressed with the hour early at the parks. They said if Disney couldn't logistically do a front of the line then fast pass should be for resort guests only. What do you think?? Is this extra perk to appease resort guests?? My DH is Disney perjudice and says he doesn't care what Universal offers for him there is no substitute for Disney.:earsboy:

If Front of Line access is all it takes to turn your friends from "Disney people" to "Universal people," I'm thinking they were headed that way anyway. Maybe the kids are older now and want roller coasters, or they just need a break from Disney. But my guess is that, front of line priviledges or no, they'd have switched over anyway. But, I also think they'll be back. After a year or so of Universal, Disney will start to look good again.

I would imagine that Disney is trying to find additional perks for its on-property guests, yes. And that's why this program is being tested. People love the E-Night program, and there has been a lot of talk about that lately on the boards -- about why there haven't been E-Nights, and when they're coming back. This is likely Disney's answer to that. It's probably also a way to help balance out the parks during busy seasons. Let people know they can stay later into the evening, and maybe the parks won't all fill up and be overcrowded in the morning. Which would be better for guests and CMs alike. I'd also imagine they're looking at things like, "Do people spend more money in the morning or evening?" It'll likely be far more lucrative from a per cap standpoint to have people there at night than in the morning. More people purchase stuff on their way out than on their way in, you know?

I don't think this is being done strictly as an answer to Front of Line at Universal. I'm sure that's part of what Disney's trying to compete with, but I doubt it's the main impetus.

:earsboy:

Actually, I've been going to Universal for a few years now and it still looks good! :teeth: I am now going to be going to WDW several times this year since I have a 4yo who is at the perfect age for it.

I think that fastpass should be available for any guest at WDW. There are just too many onsite guests to give a perk that comes close to FOTL. The could possibly give more fastpasses to onsite guests, though. Either they would be able to hold two at a time or could get a second one faster than the off-site guests. I don't know how they could do that, though, if the park tickets were not on the room key. Maybe one ticket could be gotten with the park ticket and one with the room key.

I think that the extra magic time in the evening is a good first step and it will be interesting to see if it is still in place for my fall trips (1-2 onsite trips and 1 offsite trip planned).

T&B

Originally posted by WDSearcher
If Front of Line access is all it takes to turn your friends from "Disney people" to "Universal people," I'm thinking they were headed that way anyway. Maybe the kids are older now and want roller coasters, or they just need a break from Disney. But my guess is that, front of line priviledges or no, they'd have switched over anyway. But, I also think they'll be back. After a year or so of Universal, Disney will start to look good again.

Universal still looks pretty good to me. Their getting a week from me this summer. Disney will never be able to compete with FOTL because they are too worried they might make a non resort guest mad. I asked them last month why they were not checking resort IDs at MK during EMH and the Park Manager (not just a regular CM) told me because it might look bad if they told a non-resort guest that they would have to wait :confused: . I told him that as a resort guest paying for the privilege, he should be more worried about making me mad. He just shrugged:rolleyes: . At least Universal is treating their onsite guests with more respect than that. If this new schedule is their answer to FOTL, then they better be ready to make sure that only resort guests get to take advantage of it and not worry about hurting an offsite guests feelings.

The could possibly give more fastpasses to onsite guests, though. Either they would be able to hold two at a time or could get a second one faster than the off-site guests

I agree with this - would like to see on-site guests be able to get a 2nd FP faster or at least be able to hold 2 valid FP's at once regardless of the return window

They cannot do FOTL since WDW is 25,000 odd rooms onsite and Universal is about 2,500 but surely there is something they can do for the onsite guests during the day to give them a leg up on the offsite guests

thanks
jaysue

I have to say as an AP holder for both Universal and Disney, we're not renewing our Universal AP's. We're just way too burnt out on the parks there. We went this past Friday just to ride the Mummy, we parked (for free, that's an AP perk there that Disney should really consider) and walked onto the Mummy with a 20 min wait, rode it and left. We didn't spend a dime at Universal and had no desire to go to IOA or anything else.

It's just not feasible for Disney to do FOTL for their resort guests for the precise reason another poster said, there are just way way too many onsite guests. We've noticed at busy times using FOTL staying onsite at Universal that with the addition of RP and having fastpasses for sale, that the express pass line is fairly long as well.

I think they should do more for onsite guests-way back when Universal used to open at 6 am for onsite guests (this was in 2000 when we stayed at PB) which was great, an extra early hour just isn't enough for me, I'd like at least 2 extra hours to have a quieter time at the parks.

That' having been said, I try to not go when it's busy at all, we just got back yesterday and our next trip won't be until October at the earliest. We''ve gotten so spoiled that we won't wait for more than 30 min in any line, not even for RNR or TOT.

Originally posted by keriannhoward
I We've noticed at busy times using FOTL staying onsite at Universal that with the addition of RP and having fastpasses for sale, that the express pass line is fairly long as well.

We were at Universal during spring break (the Sun-Tues before Easter) and had 5-10 min waits for the rides at most. First thing in the morning and in the evening it was almost walk-on for onsite guests. I don't think we had to wait over 15 minutes at all. I take that back, One Fish, Two Fish was pretty backed up one afternoon and we probably had to wait 20 minutes in the express line. I'm sure it was more crowded later in the week, but I was impressed.

WDW does give free parking with their APs, BTW.

T&B

If Disney decided, as a non resort guest, that I'm not important enough for FP, as much as a disney addict as I am, I'd become a non disney person. Disney is an expensive trip as it is and on site is just too much money for us. We can only go at the busy times and after experiencing FP, I would no longer patronize disney if only offered to resort guests. If they want to charge a little extra (like 10.00) more for using FP fine, but let non resorts guests have the option.
I'm fine with EE and extra hours at night, but let me make the most of the time you give me. They need to make non resort staying people feel important also.

Originally posted by Tigger&Belle

WDW does give free parking with their APs, BTW.

T&B

Really? I think that's for the Premium AP then, I just have FL Resident Seasonal Passes.

What I would love as an on-site guest is an extra FP or two. One Winnie the Pooh ride extra would make my girls day.

Maybe one "special" anytime, anyride pass per day would do the trick!

this is just me speaking out loud and not necesarily thinking this through.....
What if deluxe guests (those on the monorail) had unlimited FOTL, Moderate and value guests had a Fast pass book that allowed them FOTL access just once per ride, then use the FastPass system as it is today. Those off site guests would still have access to the FastPass system as it is today. I know it's not "fair" to everyone, however, staying at the deluxe resorts, we shell out a lot of bucks...as we do to stay at the USO resorts. It's nice to have that extra perk. If WDW were to go with a FOTL with the Deluxe resorts, I would certainly pay the extra to do it!
I am sure there is something wrong with this theory, but as I said, it is just me speaking out loud....

Originally posted by me me57
If Disney decided, as a non resort guest, that I'm not important enough for FP, as much as a disney addict as I am, I'd become a non disney person. Disney is an expensive trip as it is and on site is just too much money for us. We can only go at the busy times and after experiencing FP, I would no longer patronize disney if only offered to resort guests. If they want to charge a little extra (like 10.00) more for using FP fine, but let non resorts guests have the option.

I have to agree with you me me57. Fortunately for me, the last few trips I was able to stay onsite but many of my friends cannot afford to do that and would be just happy to get to WDW as an offsite guest. It is expensive to go to WDW and if the time ever comes where I am not able to stay onsite and Disney cuts out offsite guests to FP, then I would probably rethink my vacation plans as well. It amazes me how many people can afford to go more than one time a year, when it is all we can do to save to go once every other year with a family of four. I always tell my friends/family that the room rates are cheaper than Myrtle Beach, but it's all the admissions and food, etc. that costs a lot more.
I just hope that the test they are doing is in effect when we go in December. We are night people and would love the extra time at night or at least offer the e-night then. Our last trip was in May and all the extras were cut out-the e night and the early hour in the a.m. was changed to the Character Caravan.

Originally posted by keriannhoward
Really? I think that's for the Premium AP then, I just have FL Resident Seasonal Passes.

I have the regular non-resident AP and have free parking. I haven't paid attention to the perks of the FL Res pass, but I think that you are right that those APs don't include parking.

T&B

You know what I think would be a good onsite perk? And I think they even tried something like this at Disneyland, not sure, but I think a really nice perk would be to give every party checking into any Disney resort one free "anytime, any ride" fastpass per person, per night. Like if you had a family of four and was staying three nights, you'd get 12 free fastpasses to use at any time on any attraction. This wouldn't cost them very much, and if there was only 1 per person per night, I don't think it would disrupt the current fastpass system all that much, yet if there were a few particular attractions that family came to see, they would be almost guaranteed to be able to see them no matter the crowds or what time they got there, barring the attraction shutting down or something. Of course you'd get a few examples of a family giving all 12 of their fastpasses to their preteen son to ride TOT 12 times in a row, but i don't think that would be the norm. Anyway, I guess they would have to do some kind of study to see if it would disrupt the fastpass system too much, because that would still mean probably somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 of the anytime fastpasses being given out for each day. Hmm, would that work?

I don't think deluxe should get unlimited FOTL. And I usually stay deluxe.
How about certain resorts being designated FOTL for each day of the week?? Then all WDW guests could be accomodated, but only a certain amount of guests would get front of the line each day?

Originally posted by Antonia
I don't think deluxe should get unlimited FOTL. And I usually stay deluxe.
How about certain resorts being designated FOTL for each day of the week?? Then all WDW guests could be accomodated, but only a certain amount of guests would get front of the line each day?

My wife and I also thought this would be a good compromise. With 4 parks that would divide the amount of guests at each park. They then could even limit the use of the FOTL to once every 2 hours for each ride so that people wouldn't just continually go on the popular rides over and over again. This could be accomplished using your resort IDs and the current fastpass system where you would have to get the fastpass and the computer could keep track of the time limits.

As an off-site guest, I can sympathize with other off-site people regarding the cost of WDW hotels.

However, I do realize that the high cost of the hotels has to produce SOME dividends for the people that stay there (aside from the extra MAGIC!) I think that Disney would look more at providing extra perks (like many have suggested, i.e. extra FP's) as opposed to removing things that off-site guests are already accustomed to (like the current FastPass system). That way, off-site guests aren't really being hard-done by, just on-site guests are getting a bit more for the extra money they are paying.
Just my thoughts...

Universal is getting some of my money this year. I'm staying 11 nights in Orlando. In the past, I would spend them all at Disney. With FOTL, trying a Universal resort will definitely be worth it. I'm still a "Disney" person. :earsgirl:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful insights and friendly tone of this thread. I don't think that those I work with aren't loyal. Most of them go every other year and stay onsight. I do think its a matter of them wanting to feel appreciated. If I spend $300 a night to stay somewhere and am treated like anyone else why spend the $300? After awhile I guess they wanted to explore somewhere that makes you feel like your getting alot of bang for your buck. For my family I just don't think a trip to Fla would feel right with out a large dose of Disney magic. I know my DH has already said no way he wasn't going to Fla without visiting Mickey.:earsboy: :earsgirl: Have a great day.

Originally posted by Tinkbell
Universal is getting some of my money this year. I'm staying 11 nights in Orlando. In the past, I would spend them all at Disney. With FOTL, trying a Universal resort will definitely be worth it. I'm still a "Disney" person. :earsgirl:

Same here. 11 days in Orlando, with only 5 being spent on Disney property. Universal hooked me in with FOTL, "5 Days for the Price of 2" passes, and room-only discounts for July that I was able to book as early as February!

I'm still waiting on a room-only discount code for July from WDW! Maybe if they'd have offer one earlier, I'd be staying at the BC longer and visiting the Disney parks instead of going to the Portofino Bay Hotel for 3 nights.

I'm still a "Disney Girl" but the mouse had better wake up and smell the coffee b/c I'm not feelin' the love here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter