• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Evening Extra Magic Hour be Disney's Answer to Universal's Front of the Line Access?

First let me say, we are Disney fanatics. Since 2000, we dropped 1-2 nights of our week vacation to start staying at USF. Last summer we weren't able to get away for a week (DS's baseball schedule) but we went to USF for 3 nights over July 4th. This summer due to the 7 for 4 deal, we are staying the whole week at Disney. Disney's marketing ploy of last year's 7 for 4 Fairytale package and this year's 7 for 5 was their ploy to lure people away from USF who started to split there stays like we did. It was pretty smart. I agree that the EMH at night is Disney's best option to compete with USF's FOTL access. I sent Disney an e-mail about 2 months ago regarding their discontinuing e-nights, citing that was the closest thing they had to compete with USF's FOTL access. I'm sure I wasn't the only e-mail they received over the last several months and it seems like they are listening.

E-nights still can't compete with FOTL but that is not a feasible option for Disney as stated before due to the number of resort rooms. With FOTL access, you can tour the parks on your schedule and are not just limited to early morning or evenings. Last summer over July 4th, we never waited more than 10 minutes in line at USF. One night, DS and I rode MIB 7 times in a row within 1 hour. That is a night he still talks about. USF does not have the Disney magic that we love but USF also offers a wonderful experience with deluxe resorts at 2/3's the cost of Disney. But as I said, we are Disney fanatics and are willing to pay more to stay at their deluxe resorts and stand in longer lines to experience that magic. We just started to share some of our hard earned money with USF also.
Great thread!

Universal is definately winning this girl over too!! We like to stay for at least 5 days at Universal, and 2 at Disney. A few years ago, it used to be the other way around! And we find the opposite to be true - the more we go to Universal, the more we love it!! Definately not even coming close to being bored there! Universal is heading in the right direction - you can't beat their ticket prices (we got AP's for $119!!!), their FOTL access (wow!!!) and their spectacular onsite hotels (beat Disney hands down with the easy access to the parks). Something is not right with Disney when we have to pay more to stay in a VALUE resort than what we are paying at Universal to stay at a DELUXE resort!!!! (Pop is costing us $138/2 rooms) (Royal Pacific is costing us $119).

We tend to stay offsite more when we go to Disney (it just makes more sense with a family of 5) so if Disney took away fast passes for off-siters, we would DEFINATELY not set foot in the parks again. Just like we would never do Universal without FOTL.

We love the parks at night. Since we go in October, park hours are short to begin with, so if one park stays open late per night that would be great. One concern, however, if Disney is timid about checking resort ID's at EMH now, how dedicated will they be at checking ID's at normal park closing? If they are not determined to make the late closing a resort only perk, there won't be much magic in it. I did email Disney, though, to say how much I liked the idea--hopefully they can make it work.

BTW, I don't think it's a good idea to base perks on which resort you are staying at. We stay at WL, but don't think we deserve more because of it. People staying at the Value's are taking a big hit on their budget, too. Making a resort caste system will only make hard feelings. After all, we are all Disney people--our group is exclusive enough!

Attendence is up, Disney doesn't need to do anything to encourage more visitors. They probably don't see a real need to compete with Universal when slow season isn't so slow anymore and busy season means parks hit capacity. I think both feed off each other as someone with an annual pass to one might take in a day or two at the other while on their third trip in a year. I've got Disney 4 play tickets and will use my last day to hit MK and stay Disney onsite for 3 nights and hit IOA and US the other days for just half days since we have young kids and don't do the thrill rides. It all works out. We'll get a Disney annual pass and stay away from Universal because we'll have plenty to do in the 4 parks and need to get our money's worth out of the pass. When the kids are old enough to do the thrill rides we'll probably get a two year IOA/US pass for less than the cost of a FL resident seasonal pass and overlap one of the years with a Disney waterpark pass. If you're a themepark fan, you usually want to do it all at least once. :-)

Attendence is up, Disney doesn't need to do anything to encourage more visitors. They probably don't see a real need to compete with Universal when slow season isn't so slow anymore and busy season means parks hit capacity. I think both feed off each other as someone with an annual pass to one might take in a day or two at the other while on their third trip in a year. I've got Disney 4 play tickets and will use my last day to hit MK and stay Disney onsite for 3 nights and hit IOA and US the other days for just half days since we have young kids and don't do the thrill rides. It all works out. We'll get a Disney annual pass and stay away from Universal because we'll have plenty to do in the 4 parks and need to get our money's worth out of the pass. When the kids are old enough to do the thrill rides we'll probably get a two year IOA/US pass for less than the cost of a FL resident seasonal pass and overlap one of the years with a Disney waterpark pass. If you're a themepark fan, you usually want to do it all at least once. :-)

:D

It's apples and oranges to me. Disney couldn't possibly have those same privleges for guests that Universal does. There are just too many resorts/guests to allow that. Not to mention, there is so much more Disney offers in the overall vacation experience that Universal will never be able to attain. Adding an extra hour or hours for resort guests is great, but offering front of the line privleges to resort guests just doesn't seem like a formidable option for Disney. Let those Universal guests do a roller coaster that is basically like all other roller coasters. I'll take the Disney "Magic" any day.

::MickeyMo Mickey76::MickeyMo

I like the idea of the anytime, any ride fast pass that someone suggested. I'd be thrilled with just one per eperson -- it would even ahve to be one per person, per day, as originally suggested!

I went to Disneyland last year and got a 5-day ticket (for the price of 2-day) and had UNLIMITED fastpasses! Why can't they do something like that in WDW? Not the 5-day for 2-day price (we could only dream! LOL) but the UNLIMITED fastpass part, maybe instead of having the plus feature of the waterparks, have the UNLIMITED fastpass added. We had a wonderful time at DL and CA because of these unlimited FPs, we went at the end of July and I was so happy I got those tickets because even with 5 days we didn't get to see it all, the parks were so packed. But having those unlimited fps really clinched it for us!

Originally posted by Mickey76
:D

Let those Universal guests do a roller coaster that is basically like all other roller coasters. I'll take the Disney "Magic" any day.

::MickeyMo Mickey76::MickeyMo

When someone make a comment likes this, I have to laugh. It makes me think that they have never even been to Universal and are commenting on things heard from others. Universal has 2 rollercoasters- HULK and Dueling Dragons. Mummy is part rollercoaster but it is also a dark ride. Obviously Universal is much more than just coasters. I am a very big Disney fan, but I do not need to try to bash Universal out of some blind loyalty. I love Universal as well. Both Disney and Universal have different experiences to offer all of which my family enjoys.

Now back to the topic. What is that old saying...can't never could. Disney could do something close to FOTL as others on this thread have suggested. I mean if we the general public can come up with these ideas, why can't the people at Disney who are paid to create them do it. I believe alot of it has to do with the fact Disney does not want it to look like they are using an idea from Universal. OH NO!! Universal could neevvverr do anything as good as us!!! You know, that superior attitude.
However, I have a feeling my WDW trips will keep shortening and my Universal trips will keep lengthening. The combination of fun and no lines just means a more relaxing vacation.

Here's a thought. When we toured DVC in February, we were given plastic cards that were worth 2 fastpasses per person that were immediate. We put the card in the fastpass machine and were given a fastpass that was stamped to be used immediately. I don't see why they couldn't do that same thing for resort guests, but yes, limit it to maybe 2-4 times per card.

Did that make any sense at all? I feel like I"m babbling.

Oh I like that "card with immediate FP's"! What a nifty idea!:) Those one or two extra rides before we head back to our room for the day would certainly make us feel special!

Originally posted by MaryKatesMom
Oh I like that "card with immediate FP's"! What a nifty idea!:) Those one or two extra rides before we head back to our room for the day would certainly make us feel special!

Agreed - that would be great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter