Ever been woken up by someone calling your name?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I was having this dream and all of a sudden I get woken up by my husband calling my name (it was kind of loud and almost a panic sound to it). The thing is, my husband wasn't in this dream so I "knew" that it was really him calling me to wake up.

So I wake up and nothing. :confused3 There's no one around me to wake me up, I check on husband and kids and they're all still sleeping. It was so weird. I just knew it was someone waking me up and not just a dream. Ever have that happen to you?

This has happened to me several times. Sometimes it's my first name, said loudly, very close to my ear. Usually, it's the name that has awoken me the most, "MOM!!!!". It always kind of freaks me out.

I used to hear my kids calling me when I was sleeping and wake up then realise they were staying at my mum's for the night. Turns out the time I heard them coincided with them waking up at my mum's.

Yes, I have. A few times and it sounds so real. Just exactly as if it really happened.

My mom had a weird experience with this. One night she was sound asleep and heard someone calling her name (I don't remember if she knew who it was). She woke up and looked at the clock and it was 3:17. She said she felt uneasy, but managed to go back to sleep. She wasn't asleep for more than 10 more minutes when the phone rang. It was my grandmother's neighbor (who was a nurse - my granny had called her) telling my mom that my grandfather was very sick and she needed to get to his house asap. In actuality, my grandfather had already died in bed with my grandmother who realized something was wrong when he wouldn't move to get off the covers in the middle of the night.

He, apparently, had been gone a while according to the neighbor. It would have been before 3:17, but it was about 3:15 when my granny discovered there was something wrong.

I was having this dream and all of a sudden I get woken up by my husband calling my name (it was kind of loud and almost a panic sound to it). The thing is, my husband wasn't in this dream so I "knew" that it was really him calling me to wake up.

So I wake up and nothing. :confused3 There's no one around me to wake me up, I check on husband and kids and they're all still sleeping. It was so weird. I just knew it was someone waking me up and not just a dream. Ever have that happen to you?

Yes, more than once, and it scared the you-know-what out of me!!

I had this happen a LOT when I was young, only I was awake and playing/reading in my room. It was a woman's voice, but one I didn't recognize. This mostly happened at one house, where other unusual things occurred. Cue Twilight Zone music ;) Now, I hear one of my kids softly calling "mommy" in the middle of the night. I get up and go check on them to find everyone fast asleep.

My weird stuff between dreaming and waking are often visual and started my freshman year of college. I usually see giant spiders hanging above me or on the bed. Scares the crud out of me, every time, and the poor person sleeping in the same room with me as I yell "SPIDER, SPIDER, SPIDER!" in the middle of the night.

It happens to me a lot now, but it is because there were several times in my youth where someone WAS calling my name for help (medical emergencies). Now I am a super light sleeper and am always listening for my name or help. I should just give up on sleep when baby gets here because DH can sleep through anything.

Mop & bucket?

Hands & knees?

Floor scrubber?

Wet Swiffer?

Years ago, my SIL's ex-husband had this floor scrubber thing. It plugged in, sort of looked like a Swiffer on steroids (LOL) Had a long handle with two round scrub brushes on the bottom that would rotate around and get the floor all scrubbed up nice and clean. Back then I could tell that it was something that was really old but it worked pretty good. When they got a divorce he took it with him.

I'm looking for something similar. I've seen the Hoover Floormate and have debated on whether or not to get it. Not sure if there are other brands out there that are similar. If you have something like this, do you like it? Would you recommend it? Pros/cons?
What? :confused3 :rotfl:

I have never experienced what is being discussed but it definitely creeps me out! I always find the stories about being woken up at the same time when a loved one dies to be very eerie. A co-worker had the same experience- woke up at some random time in the morning and received a call a few minutes later saying her brother had been in a motorcycle accident and killed at the scene.

Yes, and as far as I know it relates to the dead:confused3
1. Either someone is calling for you to come to the other side
or
2. Someone you love has passed and stopped by to let you know that
they are no longer living in the natural.

I've also been taught that you are not to answer back either or something could happen to you:scared1::eek::scared1:

or

I've also been taught that you are not to answer back either or something could happen to you:scared1::eek::scared1:

Well I hope not. Even though I would LOVE to see my loved ones on the other side, I'm really not ready for a visit any time soon. And it was definitely my husband's voice that called my name and he's doing just fine today.

What? :confused3 :rotfl:

I have never experienced what is being discussed but it definitely creeps me out! I always find the stories about being woken up at the same time when a loved one dies to be very eerie. A co-worker had the same experience- woke up at some random time in the morning and received a call a few minutes later saying her brother had been in a motorcycle accident and killed at the scene.

Good gracious, ignore that whole post. LOL Instead of making a new thread about mopping floors, I replied to my own post with it. :lmao: I deleted it but not before you caught it. Carry on.....

or

Well that doesn't make sense when I wake up because I heard "MOM" since my children are all living.

YES!!! Just several times while I am in a deep sleep and a voice will shout in my ear and so realistic and it FREAKS me out!

Why does that happen? Thankfully it only happened a few times.

I've never been awoken by my name being called, but once at my old apartment, I was awoken to the sound of a man yelling loudly and angrily in my ear, "NOT YET!!!". It was the freakiest thing I've ever experienced. I got out of bed (Louisville Slugger in hand! LOL), certain that I was going to find a man in my apartment. But nothing. I had a difficult time sleeping the rest of the night! :crazy2:

Yes, it happened to me once. I had fallen asleep when I needed to get going somewhere else, so it may have been my subconscious reminding me I had someplace to be.

Yes, a few times, and it's always in DH's voice. Only really weirds me out when I remember he's already left for work. But it's so weird, I swear it's like a physical nudge.

I also sometimes have what I think is "exploding head syndrome". Just after I've drifted off to sleep I'll hear a BOOM or CRASH. It's not frequent, but still annoying as heck. And of course, you always have to get up and check in case it really was something this time. At least when my cats were alive, I could look at them to see if it was something -- if they were still snoozing I knew it was all in my head.

Guess it's not surprising, we're also notorious sleep talkers (at time walkers) in my family. A few years ago I woke up in the process of pushing over my side table b/c I was dreaming I was pushing a big lever. Okay then!

I had this happen a LOT when I was young, only I was awake and playing/reading in my room. It was a woman's voice, but one I didn't recognize. This mostly happened at one house, where other unusual things occurred. Cue Twilight Zone music ;) Now, I hear one of my kids softly calling "mommy" in the middle of the night. I get up and go check on them to find everyone fast asleep.

My weird stuff between dreaming and waking are often visual and started my freshman year of college. I usually see giant spiders hanging above me or on the bed. Scares the crud out of me, every time, and the poor person sleeping in the same room with me as I yell "SPIDER, SPIDER, SPIDER!" in the middle of the night.

Oh my gosh! I did that once. I was asleep and saw these huge white spiders dangling down above the bed. I reached over, and grabbed my husband's stomach (lol) and yelled "Get up NOW". Poor guy he and I both jumped out of bed and he's standing looking scared to death and then I start cracking up laughing after I realized it was a dream. He was not amused.

or

:p Wow.

I used to hear it all the time back when I was younger and my name was called CONSTANTLY by a family member. I was the youngest in the family and ROOOOOOOBIIIIIIIIIN was something I heard more times than I need to tell ya! :blush:

Nowadays hardly anyone calls me loudly, I think that's why I don't dream about it anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter