Ever been woken up by someone calling your name?

At the risk of sounding too crazy...one time I was drifting off to sleep, right on the edge and I hear this clear voice in my ear say, "Eden, it's time you met Katherine" and I got this quick flash in my head of a nun standing on a rooftop! I'm not even Catholic. lol

No idea what that was about, but it scared me to death. I was in college/young at the time and was afraid that Katherine was my guardian angel and was coming to take me away.

Oh my gosh! I did that once. I was asleep and saw these huge white spiders dangling down above the bed. I reached over, and grabbed my husband's stomach (lol) and yelled "Get up NOW". Poor guy he and I both jumped out of bed and he's standing looking scared to death and then I start cracking up laughing after I realized it was a dream. He was not amused.

:rotfl2:
The first time it happened with DH, we had only been married a few months. He was COMPLETELY freaked and didn't believe me when I told him it was ok to go back to bed because it was a waking dream. He checked all over that bed looking for my imaginary spider! The next day he told me it would have been nice to know about my spider dreams BEFORE we got married! :laughing:
Mine look like tarantulas and the body is about 1 ft in size :scared1:. Sometimes they are on the bed and sometimes they are suspended above me.

Just recently - I was asleep at home alone. DS17 was still out with friends. DS19 and DH were camping over 1500 miles away.

It seemed to me that it was DS17. He was next to my bed saying "mom, mom I have to tell you something" I responded and he said something I couldn't make out. After a couple of back and forths, I told him to let me sit up so I could wake up and understand him. I sat up. No one was there and DS17 still wasn't home. I worried because I had heard the dead loved one connections.
Before DS17 finally made it home that night, I had another experience. There was a presence hovering over the foot of my bed. I could only see it's outstretched arm. And it said, "It's okay. Give me your hand. I will help you through this." I never saw anything but the arm.
I never felt threatened or frightened by my visitors but I did worry about what they might mean. I NEVER have these experiences and for both to happen in the same night, I was concerned. That's been about 3 weeks and everyone is alive and well. The only other thing I can think that it might be related to is the stress I'm dealing with at work.

For any of you that dream that you are awoken by spiders, bugs, insects, etc and you still "see" them when you are awake, those are called Night Terrors. I have had them since I was a little kid, and most people grow out of them, but I'm almost 40 and will still get one every once in awhile- usually when I am under stress.

I also have Sleep Paralysis which is a is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling asleep or wakening, temporarily experience an inability to move.

I sometimes hear voices call my name, but not very often. This is called Hypnogogia (when it occurs as you're falling asleep / half-roused) or Hypnopompia (when it occurs as you're waking up).

I am been to waaaay too many sleep studies to count!

I have heard a scream in my ear so loud that my ear hurt afterwards. No one around to do it! But the voice I hear the most is the 4 year old little boy I couldn't save as a firefighter. Still hear his screams at night, and awake. Took years before I realized it was him I heard. Now with help for my PTSD maybe I can put HIM to bed and let him rest.

I have heard a scream in my ear so loud that my ear hurt afterwards. No one around to do it! But the voice I hear the most is the 4 year old little boy I couldn't save as a firefighter. Still hear his screams at night, and awake. Took years before I realized it was him I heard. Now with help for my PTSD maybe I can put HIM to bed and let him rest.

Aw, I'm so sorry. I know it doesn't change that one incident, but you have to think about how many you've saved. I guess in your line of work there's always that "one" that you never forget. ((hugs))

As for me, I've had the name screaming thing happen and it scares the heck out of me. And it's always an older woman or man's voice. Sometimes I get up and sometimes I lay there waiting for it to happen again. Only once it did and I damn near had a stroke. That's when I did what any good adult would do, I pulled the covers over my head. :rotfl2: I finally fell back asleep about 30 minutes later. I hope that never happens again.

I do every once in a while.

This morning though, I heard someone whistle. Just a short whistle - not shrill or anything - just a normal whistle.

I checked and DH was sleeping. DS was already at school, and all of the pets were sleeping (and as far as I know the dogs and cats do not know how to whistle).

I called my mother, who had carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, to check on her, as I was sure the whistle was to tell me something.

She was fine. Thought the whole whistle thing was pretty cool.

I also sometimes have what I think is "exploding head syndrome". Just after I've drifted off to sleep I'll hear a BOOM or CRASH. It's not frequent, but still annoying as heck. And of course, you always have to get up and check in case it really was something this time. At least when my cats were alive, I could look at them to see if it was something -- if they were still snoozing I knew it was all in my head.

I have this happen all the time, either a load crash or loud knocking. I have three cats that sleep on our bed and I definitely use them to verify it was just me. DH doesn't wake up for anything so he's no help. :)

Yes!! I frequently hear my mother calling me in her sing songy voice, like she did when she would wake me for school.

My mother is alive & well living in another town & I haven't needed to be woken for school in 37 years but I swear when I hear that she is right next to me.

I sometimes hear voices call my name, but not very often. This is called Hypnogogia (when it occurs as you're falling asleep / half-roused) or Hypnopompia (when it occurs as you're waking up).

What is it called when you haven't been to sleep? When I was in Elem/Jr High/HS, it would happen in the middle of the day. I think I lived in a haunted house, given the other weird things that happened.:scratchin
Yes, night terrors usually happen when I'm stressed out about something or there's been a huge adjustment. My dad has them but he sits up, swinging and yelling, then goes back to sleep without any memory of it.

Dsnyfireman- that is horrific. I don't know what to say, "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. I'm glad you've been able to get assistance in dealing with it.

Yes, usually here my name being called 1 time and wake up. I have no idea who's voice it is.

maslex said:
I was having this dream and all of a sudden I get woken up by my husband calling my name (it was kind of loud and almost a panic sound to it). The thing is, my husband wasn't in this dream so I "knew" that it was really him calling me to wake up.

So I wake up and nothing. :confused3 There's no one around me to wake me up, I check on husband and kids and they're all still sleeping. It was so weird. I just knew it was someone waking me up and not just a dream. Ever have that happen to you?

Yes, sometimes I hear someone calling my name as if to wake me. I have no idea who is calling me.

I once had a dream that a faceless man was standing over me. It was so real that I woke up and searched every room and closet in my apartment. I even made sure the door was locked. I found out a few hours later that my nephew had unexpectedly passed away.

Good gracious, ignore that whole post. LOL Instead of making a new thread about mopping floors, I replied to my own post with it. :lmao: I deleted it but not before you caught it. Carry on.....

:rotfl2:is it a Monday for you?:lmao:

No, unless you count my Mum yelling "EMMA! GET UP! You're going to be LATE!"

I'm so glad this happens to others, I thought it was only me so I've never said anything to anyone else. Thank you for this thread!

Happens all the time. I don't recognize the voice though and as far as I know it has never coincided with someone's death (at least not someone I know).

I also have the issue with seeing spiders hanging from the ceiling when I am in the part awake, still park asleep mode. And occasionally I have thought someone was climbing in through the window as well (window is right by my bed). Scares the bajeezus out of me and I have a hard time getting back to sleep.

branv said:
I also sometimes have what I think is "exploding head syndrome". Just after I've drifted off to sleep I'll hear a BOOM or CRASH. It's not frequent, but still annoying as heck. And of course, you always have to get up and check in case it really was something this time. At least when my cats were alive, I could look at them to see if it was something -- if they were still snoozing I knew it was all in my head.

Wow! I didn't know anyone else had this. I'll be dozing off and then BOOM, my eyes are wide open and I'm too scared to move. It's always a crash for me. Scary!

It happened to me once. And I think it was God who called my name.:goodvibes Just like Samuel.

Wow! I didn't know anyone else had this. I'll be dozing off and then BOOM, my eyes are wide open and I'm too scared to move. It's always a crash for me. Scary!

OMG..this just started happening to me this year! I was getting up and looking around to see what crashed to the floor..now I just lay there for a few minutes and go back to sleep.

Yes, I also get woken up by my name being called..it's never Nancy..it's just the one syllable Nance...which no one really calls me. I also will see creepy crawlies on the ceiling..not hanging from it but scooting across it..luckily I don't freak out by any of it anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter