Ever gone on a trip just you and one kid?

Kittyblue

7322, 32502, <3
I've been meaning to take solo trips with each of my girls for years now, and finally this weekend did one with my oldest (19). We had so much fun visiting the Huntington Library in Pasadena, the Orange County Museum of Art (mainly because it was the only art museum open and she really wanted to go to one), and the old LA zoo for a few pics. The best part was the drive, where we just talked and talked and sang along to all the songs she played. I wish I would've done something like this a long time ago. I'd like to take a trip with just my youngest now, but at 12 y/o hanging out with mom isn't any fun, LOL. She's requested her sister come along, too. Have you ever gone on trips with just one kid, just for the fun of it?

Yes. Twice. Both times it was with my youngest daughter. Both times was to Disneyland.

The first trip was to the 50th Anniversary (07/17/05). My oldest was not able to go for complicated reasons. The other trip was for Halloween 5 - 6 years later. I honestly can't remember why my oldest didn't come with us that time.

Yes.....for years while DD was young we would go away for a weekend a couple times a year.
As an adult we have done many girls' trips. The last few years we have added DGD to our trips (DS's DD).
These are longer.....usually a week. Just got back from our Grand Canyon and area trip.

I've done one with my daughter to DisneyWorld. It was for my birthday and we had a blast! I'm planning one soon with my son- but not to DW. It's great to be able to focus and have that 1:1 time, doing what they most enjoy and there being no competition between siblings too.

I took my 11 year old niece to WDW in 2008. It was the first (and last) time I saw WDW through a kid's eyes and I loved it. I was also really surprised that of all there was to do there, her favorite attraction was the Speedway. We must have ridden it ten times day and night and I almost died from gasoline fumes, but the point of the trip was to make sure she had fun. And she did.

anyone who has a teen knows how precious time can be with them, and getting them to hang with you is so special.

I got my ds15 to agree to an “epic” trip last December. We left PVD at 6am on a nonstop to MCO, in the rental car and at the Poly for breakfast! We did MK, EPCOT, Disney Springs and several hotels, including the skyline before boarding a 9pm flight home.

I am so happy we were able to make that trip, especially with the state of our world today

I have, more often with my girls than with my son because he's not much of a traveler. With him, it has usually been for concerts/festivals. With the girls, it is for any little thing - DD19 and I went to the first Women's March in DC, I've taken both DD19 and DD12 to Disney on just-the-two-of-us trips, DD12 & I have done trips for theatrical shows and once for her birthday. I do more traveling with both girls together, because they do have a lot of common interests and are very close to one another, but the one-on-one trips with each of them are wonderful too.

I’ve done several. My kids are only 17 months apart so they were always together. Going on trips with just one of them was nice, it changed the dynamic. With my daughter we have done Mall of America for a few days for her 10th birthday, Disneyworld with a friend of hers for her 15th birthday, and this summer for her high school graduation we did a week and a half in New England. With my son we did a beach trip to Florida for his 10th birthday, Wisconsin Dells for his 14th, and NYC for his 16th. It’s great to get some one on one time with them!

I started traveling alone with my DD 6 years ago. We went to Washington, DC with my niece, nephew and sister. Next year, she and I took the same kids to Williamsburg, VA.

But, you asked about alone... in her junior year of college, she studied abroad, so I went for her spring break and she and I toured Florence, Venice and Rome. She didn't mind giving up her break to me because I paid for everything... she isn't stupid. Last year, we went to London together and this year, we were going to go to Poland, so that remains as our next place once it's safe to travel. We already know that France will be after that. She wants me to see Versailles and I want to go to Disneyland Paris.

My DH decided he'd prefer to work than to vacation, so he stays at home with DS. DS doesn't want to go on vacation with me, unless I'm paying for a beach vacation and he gets his own room. He wants a love shack. Yeah, not on my dime. He'll go with me when he has a steady GF or wife and kids and I'm not lame anymore.

Took my son to Baltimore for a Red Sox/Orioles game for his birthday when he was in 7th grade. Just the two of us. Drove out the night before, stayed in a hotel, watched the game the next afternoon, and came home.

Last edited:
Went with my youngest DS to WDW when he was in band........ I was one of the trip coordinators of course!! :mickeyjum

I do lots of day trip things one on one with them but not too many one on one all out vacations.

I did Disney with DD12 in 2018. It was amazing. Ten days at BWV with MVMCP and ten day hoppers during F&W. It was awesome having that one on one time with her at that age.

I offered my son several mother son trips (To various places) during his teen years but he always turned me down. He would never commit. Would always say “can I decide later?” I think he just didn’t think I could be cool enough on a trip just us two. Lol. He never turned down a family trip but anytime I offered just us two he was iffy about it. Plus he was really into video games back then and I don’t think he could commit to leaving them behind for a week if it wasn’t a family trip.

Now my son turns 21 in March and I offered him a mother son Disney trip and he jumped all over it. We arrive the day before his birthday. I’m still undecided on going because of the cuts at Disney and the masks but I figure I should just go since who knows when he’ll commit to another trip with me. Plus he’s turning 21. This may be my last chance.

Last edited:
When my son was in kindergarten and my daughter was in 6th grade, I took him to Disney World for a week without her. She didn't want to go! To her it sounded like a place for little kids and she didn't want to be away from her friends for a week, so she stayed with her grandma. She's in her late 20's now, and a couple years ago, I took just the two of us to Disneyland. It was a short trip--just a couple nights, but a blast.

I didn’t get to travel one on one with Mom until we were both adults. She often took both of us, and I think she would have felt bad leaving one behind. Since our interests were similar we always had a good time traveling as three. But now that she’s gone, those one on one trips are some of my best memories.

I forgot that I took my DS in 2015 to San Antonio. We were going to see his BFF (and my bonus DS, so to speak) graduate from boot camp. He was discharged from the AF because at the last PT test, he collapsed during their run. He was taken to the medic and found out that he was anemic. The AF didn't want him anymore because of this.

He couldn't go off base, so my DS and I went to the Alamo, on the Riverwalk and celebrated Fiesta on Alamo Plaza on the first day. Second day was a trip to Austin to the Johnson Library and 6th Street and final day was Sea World. We had a blast together.

I decided to do a mom and son trip with each of my 3 sons years ago. We always go as a family of 5 but I wanted something just the 2 of us.

I told them the only restriction is it can’t be more than 5 hours on the plane because I have severe plane anxiety.

1st DS picked New York City for a week and we had so much fun together.

2nd DS picked Sedona and it was beyond beautiful.

3rd DS on hold due to Covid😭😭😭

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter