Ever have to show your Social Security Card? S/O of organizing and storing important documents thread

Have you ever had to show someone your Social Security card?

• Yes

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don't recall

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
after we had to deal with the nightmare that is the california public employee's retirement system (calPERS) when mil passed (the paperwork required, not knowing who was named as beneficiary(s) and them not releasing that information so it bcoming a guessing game, the insane timeline for them to process....) we made sure that the that any pensions dh and i were eligible to had extensive documentation filed along with our wills. we also got p.o.a.'s filed with those entities b/c some-like calPERS-will ONLY accept their own issued form, and don't even think about it being notarized out of the state of california cuz they don't like that. it only took them 10 months (pre-pandemic 'expedient' timelines) for them to process and accept their form::yes::
MS PERS here! All of that and they still messed up and only sent half of the payment. I'm still waiting on the other half.

That could be. But in my case I was the beneficiary of my mom's trust, which only had the house in it, so the minute she died I was the owner. And I was co-owner of all her bank accounts and car going back to 1975 when I turned 18.
Yeah - that's exactly why you get a Trust and not just a will.
Its costs 2 or 3 times as much its its so much easier on everyone.

I do onboarding for my company & we require the candidate have their actual physical social security card.

Only if the employer is willing to do that. DD had to show her physical card during the hiring process for a part-time grocery store position a little over a year ago. This was a large chain and they claimed corporate rule required the physical card. They wouldn't put her on payroll without it; gave us a website to request a copy if needed. Fortunately we found hers in the safe deposit box where it had been for 18+ years.

My own SSA card hasn't been needed for years, but I've been at my current job since forever.
The IRS says “You should ask your employee to show you his or her social security card. The employee may show the card if it is available." Having it required is a bit much IMO.

I wrote a lot of code to work with the GOV and process I-9s with eVerify and there are lots of other options for docs, and even more for under 18s. Its been a few months but School Id was even an option along with something else.

I do onboarding for my company & we require the candidate have their actual physical social security card.
Does the software you use not do eVerify?

We don't use software - we physically/manually complete the forms then I eVerify seperately.

Back in the earlier days of obtaining a Real ID, you did need your SS card (or W-2, which I don't have). Apparently they changed the requirements in 2021 to "simplify the process". I got mine in 2019.
I checked my license, I got my Real ID on May 3, 2019 so for mw the W-2 must have satisfied that requirement.

I was lucky. Everything with my mom's estate was done within two months of here death, house sold, car sold, life insurance, pensions, bank accounts with two exceptions.

1) Refund of her flood insurance premium from FEMA. That took six months to get, and I was concerned I would not get it because they would only send the check to her address, the address that they insured. By then I had sold the house and while I had the mail forwarded, I was concerned it would not get forwarded. It did, fortunately.

2) Filing her final tax return. But that was not due until April 15th of the year after she passed.
I believe that probate is different in each state. My dad passed away last year and I was the 100% beneficiary to everything. In Florida, I could sell the house but only to a cash buyer, if I wanted to sell it before it finished probate. In Florida, only the property goes to probate. Before I could put it on the market, I went to an attorney to start the procesS. I actually sat down with the attorney within a few days of my dad’s death. I had forms to fill out and couldn’t do anything until I received the death certificate, obviously. It took 10 days just to get the death certificate. If I sold the house to a buyer with a mortgage, I’d have to wait until probate was done. I was able to get a cash buyer and the house was sold 2 months after his death. However, probate wasn’t complete until October 2023, he passed away 1/1/23.

As far as needing my actual social security card, I do not carry it with me. I have never needed the actual card but believe I did for my drivers license (NJ) as one of my 6 points. I do have a passport, but think I also used my social security card.

edited to add that I needed the actual card when I change my name when I got married.

they are great so long as everything is put into/retained IN the trust. my mom was a big chaser of cd rates and it got to be 'a hassle' for her to take copies of the trust documents to every bank she opened cd's at so she would set them up with p.o.d.'s which don't pass to the trust upon death so unless the p.o.d.'s are the same beneficiaries (with the same allocation of bequest) as the trust names:faint: same with personal property, if you've said that all your personal property is part of the trust but down the line decide to gift items to others, if you have potentialy contentious beneficiaries (read-greedy)-document it (b/c something of little financial worth but major sentimental can be used in the worst way possible to create exactly the legal entanglements your trust was set up to avoid).

LOL. You didn't know my mom. She could make a penny scream. She set up her trust, for the house only, in 1975. She discovered that if you went to the County Recorders Office, they has a trust form you could fill out there, show ID, pay a $25 fee, they would notarize it and record it.
It did cause a few minutes of concern in 2013 when I went to the Escrow company when I sold the house. The Escrow officer said it could be a problem. The Trust was two paragraphs. He said most trusts are at least 20 pages. He faxed it to the lawyer they used who called right back. He was VERY familiar with that type of Trust form. It was, and is still perfectly legal, it satisfied all the legal requirements. The County Recorder had to stop handing out the form because lawyers were complaining that it was taking business away from them!!
I get it, it cost me $1,100 to have an attorney set up my trust and do our wills and that was 35 years ago..

I was asked for it (the card, not the number) last month. I *THINK* it was before a medical procedure.

I believe that probate is different in each state. My dad passed away last year and I was the 100% beneficiary to everything. In Florida, I could sell the house but only to a cash buyer, if I wanted to sell it before it finished probate. In Florida, only the property goes to probate. Before I could put it on the market, I went to an attorney to start the procesS. I actually sat down with the attorney within a few days of my dad’s death. I had forms to fill out and couldn’t do anything until I received the death certificate, obviously. It took 10 days just to get the death certificate. If I sold the house to a buyer with a mortgage, I’d have to wait until probate was done. I was able to get a cash buyer and the house was sold 2 months after his death. However, probate wasn’t complete until October 2023, he passed away 1/1/23.

As far as needing my actual social security card, I do not carry it with me. I have never needed the actual card but believe I did for my drivers license (NJ) as one of my 6 points. I do have a passport, but think I also used my social security card.

edited to add that I needed the actual card when I change my name when I got married.
Yes, we dealt with Probate when my MIL passed in 1999. She never completed her estate planning, and died unexpectly at age 64. Wouldn't have cost her anything as she was office manager for a law firm that did wills and trusts, she just didn't want to deal with it.
She passed in September, we hired a probate attorney in October and started the process. My wife sold the house and car with approval of the Probate Judge in December, without ever technically owning either. The money had to go into a special probate bank account. Judge approved the closure of Probate in March, so whole process took six months and cost about $2,000.

Pretty sure I showed my card for first jobs from the late 70s to early 80s. Never showed it again until requested in the 2020s.

I have mine, but I cannot remember the last time I had to show it. I have the "Real ID" thing.... but that hasn't been really too important in my case, I just have to show ID to buy wine.

I hope not because I have to apply through the embassy here in Germany get a new card and that requires sending my passport in which I refuse to do. I have my kids somewhere safe but I can’t remember ever needing my card maybe once in high school when I had a job, but that was like 35 years ago.

I hope not because I have to apply through the embassy here in Germany get a new card and that requires sending my passport in which I refuse to do. I have my kids somewhere safe but I can’t remember ever needing my card maybe once in high school when I had a job, but that was like 35 years ago.
You can now get it online IF you are already registered to the SS website. I‘ve filed and received docs from the embassy/consul in France and CH when I resided there; pretty simple and often the workers are more helpful than at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter