Ever receive a room upgrade?

Have any of you ever received a room upgrade at WDW? Where were you staying? What were the circumstances? Did you ask for it or was it a surprise?
Our last visit, February, 2020, we had requested the Calypso section at AS Music like we do every year. My wife is wheelchair bound and I am no spring chicken any longer (69) so the closer the rooms are to the front the easier on me. We were told that Calypso was full. The asst. mgr. came out when I complained and said she would be right back. She gave us a suite in Calypso just one room from the end. Closest we had ever been to the front building. Loved the extra room, especially since we didn't have to pay for it.

Yes, twice in 45 years. Once from Standard View double to Water View King at Beach Club and once from Standard View double at BWI to one of the Garden Cottages. I never have asked for an upgrade at any of the resorts, but request a room using Touringplans and have had very good results for the most part.

Have any of you ever received a room upgrade at WDW? Where were you staying? What were the circumstances? Did you ask for it or was it a surprise?
We did during Covid from a studio to 1 bedroom at Riviera but it was only 1 night and the hotel was empty.

Our last visit, February, 2020, we had requested the Calypso section at AS Music like we do every year. My wife is wheelchair bound and I am no spring chicken any longer (69) so the closer the rooms are to the front the easier on me. We were told that Calypso was full. The asst. mgr. came out when I complained and said she would be right back. She gave us a suite in Calypso just one room from the end. Closest we had ever been to the front building. Loved the extra room, especially since we didn't have to pay for it.
That's great!

This past August 2022 we were upgraded at Coronado we had a standard tower club level room booked and when we checked in they told us we were upgraded to a deluxe room which was amazing we were there a week and wanted to just move in lol It was very special because it was our 27th anniversary.

I've stayed about 10 times in total at a few various resorts and have never been upgraded. Doesn't bother me though. I'm one of the ones that leaves for the parks bright and early and doesn't come back to my room until the sun is down.

2015 we had a couple issues at Pop and they moved us over to AKL for the remainder of our trip. It was amazing!

We've had a few upgrades! Some were random, some were due to mishaps, some I think were due to some clever planning.

In recent memory:

FEB 2016 CBR booked standard queen, upgraded to King water view on our 1 year wedding anniversary trip when we asked if there were any King rooms available at check in. We were curious about the cost to upgrade, but a super nice cast member just gave it to us!

FEB 2020 CSR booked standard queen, had requested cabanas area. When we checked in (at desk) they said they could give us a room in cabanas, but they suggested with a wink we keep the room that had been assigned to us. When we opened the door it was a one bedroom suite in casitas! This was our first ever experience in any Disney suite! It was soooo exciting!

AUG 2021 YC trip that didn't go as planned. Luck of the draw we probably got the worst room in the hotel. When we got there the porter told us we had been upgraded to club level! We were excited, until we realized club level wasn't open lol- and our room view was the service exit where the dumpsters were and CMs took smoke breaks.-also super far from anything. We didn't complain though, because somebody has to get that room, and we weren't going to be spending much time at the room that trip anyway. My toddler son ended up having a medical emergency and was taken by ambulance from YC in the middle of the night. The way YC handled it was super disappointing. Not to mention they refused to take out the dirty diaper filled trash even every other day. Ended up being the worst Disney trip we have had in 30 plus years. I was super upset with the lack of care that was given in regards to my son's medical emergency, so I did write a letter. A few months later Disney called and gifted us two nights at any resort of our choice. We chose GF, because it had been out of reach because of cost in the past.

FEB 2022 Comped GF Lagoon View nights. We decided to extend our trip by three nights, at our cost. This is where I think I was a little clever. I booked CR garden wing room, suspecting that it was going to be under renovations by our trip. I was right, and they upgraded us to the GF and let us stay at the Lagoon View level for the remainder of the trip. So CR GW to GF LV. So anyway, we get to the GF room and my mother and I go to get massages at the spa (but beforehand we stop by the front desk to speak to them about a delivery that was supposed to be in our room that was not- a big balloon bouquet for my father who had just retired) while we were discussing, the balloons were dropped off, and we didn't get to get pictures of dad receiving it- basically the timing was just off. The front desk manager was so nice about it and ended up upgrading us to a TPV in an extra large "standard" room with a sitting area and two balconies. Watching the fireworks from our GF room balcony was an amazing experience, one I never thought we would have.

NOV/DEC 2022 Not a Disney upgrade/pixie dust- but made a new friend on Disboards last year who has become like family and has some major pixie dust power! Will be staying at a GF CL outer building 2 BR and then moving to GF Standard on a pretty much unheard about deal. So I wasn't upgraded by Disney but a friend got me an AMAZING deal that would be out of reach otherwise that pretty much feels like the biggest upgrade I could imagine.

We have received a few room upgrades, but they were all view upgrades. We don't really care about the view. In a moderate it makes absolutely no difference, and, in a deluxe it may make a difference to some but not to us. As long as I have a balcony I don't care what the view is. At WL I have had the dumpster view a few times and I love it, I can watch the chefs going out to the smokehouse to fetch the beef, and it has a view of the MK fireworks. At the YC we had a view of the portico and we liked that too, could see trees, grass, and people excited about arriving at their resort.

We've gotten a few view or location upgrades over the years, but the best was an upgrade from a standard room at GF to a main building concierge room. That was quite a surprise and a lovely treat!

One time when we were checking into the Animal Kingdom Lodge I asked if there were any upgraded rooms available. We had booked standard view for that trip. I asked my daughter and her friend if they would like to and of course they responded "Yes". The cast member said the pool view was about $400 more and Savannah was about $600. The girls wanted Savannah, of course. I told the cast member let's do it! He picked up his calculator and said "I have to do one more calculation and I'll have your room rate". He then cleared the calculator. So we went from Standard View to Deluxe Savannah at check-in. Sweet!

Worked out well for Disney. We fell in love with the AKL and as DVC members added on as soon as it was offered.

Never but my parents have twice. First time was in the 2000’s. They had reservations at All Star Sports and were upgraded to BWI to make room for more sports teams. Second time was Apr 22. They have APs and were staying at BWI 2 nights while visiting is. They were upgraded to club level - got a king size bed and breakfast.

GF garden view upgraded to Sugarloaf Club level
GF garden view upgraded to Theme Park View
AKL standard upgraded to savanna view
WL standard to courtyard view

We’ve started booking DVC and dont get upgraded anymore, but we were happy to book a two bedroom standard villa at AKL Kidani and get a unit wasn’t technically a savanna view that had a savanna view anyway.

One time out of well over 20 onsite (non-DVC) stays. We had garden view Poly club level booked and got a castle view. It was our end-of-cancer-treatment trip and was 7 nights over 4th of July. We spent a lot of time at the resort since I was still recovering, we watched the fireworks from our patio, the kids played football with lots of other kids in the sand several nights. It was really amazing.

We didn't ask for it, and had not indicated any kind of celebration on our reservation. We did online checkin, and went straight to the room from magical express. We have been other times and have indicated special celebrations (honeymoon, anniversary, 50th birthday, kids' birthdays) but never got upgraded any other time. I can't complain, because that one time was a time when it was really meaningful to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter