Ever see anything totally shocking and unexpected on a cruise?

After reading through this entire thread, I have one thing to say to most of the past posters - pictures or it didn't happen. :)
Also, most of the picture links from the first 8 years are dead.

Now that is tragically selfish. Did they ever find the man?

The only time I have ever heard of them finding someone who jumped from a ship was off the fathom Adonia a few weeks ago. College-age kid with his family had some kind of mental breakdown and jumped. And survived to fight the rescuers.

The ship is TINY by today's standards - 704 passenger max capacity, and the pointed bow of the Magic reaches her bridge level. I guess that is what made it a survivable jump. He and his family were medically disembarked in Cuba due to his mental state more than anything physical.

(Yes I know it happened. I met someone last week who was on that cruise and witnessed it.)

On our last trip on the FOS we were on our way back to our room with my wife in the lead and as we turned to go up the single lane portion of the staircase an older man dressed in only a towel wrapped diaper style was coming down the middle of the staircase. He started to give us a crazy story about how he parked at his brothers and made a wrong turn trying to find or coming from the bathroom, the details are hazy. As my wife was trying to help him figure out what was what, I left;), started looking down hallways hoping to find anyone to help this gentleman out. If he had an ID on him we didn't want to know, and the whole time we were praying the towel would stay put.

Once he got near the bottom of the steps, he had moved enough to the side that we could move past, as we heard another group of people coming up the steps. We heard him give them the same story. This was likely an older gentleman with memory issues, or one heck of prank. This happened on our first night on a new line, one heck of a first impression;)

The only time I have ever heard of them finding someone who jumped from a ship was off the fathom Adonia a few weeks ago. College-age kid with his family had some kind of mental breakdown and jumped. And survived to fight the rescuers.

The ship is TINY by today's standards - 704 passenger max capacity, and the pointed bow of the Magic reaches her bridge level. I guess that is what made it a survivable jump. He and his family were medically disembarked in Cuba due to his mental state more than anything physical.

(Yes I know it happened. I met someone last week who was on that cruise and witnessed it.)

Thanks. So sad.

These are great stories, I love reading them!

On our last cruise, DS and I had just finished making a gingerbread house and were heading back to the stateroom to show it off to DH. In the elevator we were joined by others who had also finished their houses. There was a mom with her 2 excited daughters also sharing the elevator. The elevator ride seemed endless as I watched their poor house slide a little bit with each stop the elevator made. We were getting off on the same floor and all cheered that their house made it. But as they were just about to step off the elevator the littlest of the girls bumped the mom and the house collapsed all over the elevator floor:(. The kids in the elevator instantly jumped to pick up the pieces with the littlest girl saying "we can fix it mommy, we can still show daddy and eat some of it." As soon as the kids ran ahead to the room the mom tossed the pieces, with a shrug "at least we got pictures":rolleyes:

Second thing I saw that cruise was a kid about 10 years old get kicked out of the pool, during Stitch's holiday party. There were kids and some adults watching from the pool. During the show this kid decided to do a "cannon ball", jumping over the heads of the people wading on the side of the pool, into the middle of the pool, race out and do it again. Before he could do it a third time the lifeguard got to him. I didn't hear what the lifeguard said to the kid but whatever it was the kid didn't like it and actually bowed up, tried to argue with the lifeguard and actually tried to walk around the lifeguard and back to the pool in order to jump again. I was impressed with the lifeguard because it was obvious that the kid's parents were not in the area. He didn't let that kid get away with it and sternly pointed him away from the pool. It was like watching an umpire ejecting a baseball player from a game. popcorn::The kid motioned and called for someone to go with him (friends maybe?) but he ended up leaving the area angry and alone.

Thanks. So sad.

Yeah. The woman who witnessed it said it was clear that something was not right with the young man - and fathom is NOT a party ship, plus he was cruising with his family so it wasn't a case of "Spring Break gone wrong". She said it was clearly a mental break. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

We were on the Fantasy and it was towards the end of the week long cruise. Our family was on one of the elevators when a woman got on by herself. Before the doors could close, a group of three kids who looked to be in the 10-14 year age range came running up to the elevator screaming, "Wait Mom! Hold the door". The woman started frantically pushing the close door button on the elevator, and the doors closed leaving the kids outside.

At first we thought she had mistakenly pushed the wrong button, but then she sheepishly looked over at us and said, "It's been a long week. I need a break, even if it's just for a few minutes!"

I guess it doesn't really fall into the "shocking" category, but we still laugh about that to this day.

We were on the Fantasy and it was towards the end of the week long cruise. Our family was on one of the elevators when a woman got on by herself. Before the doors could close, a group of three kids who looked to be in the 10-14 year age range came running up to the elevator screaming, "Wait Mom! Hold the door". The woman started frantically pushing the close door button on the elevator, and the doors closed leaving the kids outside.

At first we thought she had mistakenly pushed the wrong button, but then she sheepishly looked over at us and said, "It's been a long week. I need a break, even if it's just for a few minutes!"

I guess it doesn't really fall into the "shocking" category, but we still laugh about that to this day.

That's a bit sad.

LMAO!!! I could see myself doing that to my kids! Especially at the 10-14 age range.

Yep, that about sums up a week with teenagers 24/7!!!!

Yep, that about sums up a week with teenagers 24/7!!!!

On our first trip to Disney my boys (6 years age difference & oldest thinks he is the boss of anyone younger) kept fighting and nitpicking at each other. So much so that I had a meltdown and screamed at them that they were never going to Disney World again if they couldn't stop. "I paid A LOT for this trip and I personally just want to have fun. Can I not be mom and we all just go on rides and have fun? Is that so hard?" LOL That was in 2012. We ended up doing another trip together in JAn 2014 and a cruise in October 2015 and they were a lot better. But that first trip? OMG!

We were on the Magic last year for the Transatlantic from Barcelona to NY. A few days before the end of the cruise a man passed away at the next table from ours during lunch in Lumiere's. It was a terrible experience. They cleared out the dining room to give the man and medics some room and closed down the hallways around the dining room. It was very sad. We felt so bad for his wife who was watching the whole thing happen.

MJ

We were on the Magic last year for the Transatlantic from Barcelona to NY. A few days before the end of the cruise a man passed away at the next table from ours during lunch in Lumiere's. It was a terrible experience. They cleared out the dining room to give the man and medics some room and closed down the hallways around the dining room. It was very sad. We felt so bad for his wife who was watching the whole thing happen.

MJ

How sad.
Were in Palo for brunch on our 2012 New England/Canada Cruise, when a woman went down. It was so sad another woman with her was saying over and over breath....... We never found out what happened, but my husband is a first responder and went over to offer assistance and he didn't think there was a good outcome. I stayed at the other end of the restaurant at our table. I don;t know where the ship's doctor was, but it seemed like forever before he finally came.

We were on the Dream a couple of years ago and we were having our sea day and there was a little girl by the pool that told her mommy that her tummy hurt and she wanted to go back to the room. Her mother promptly told her that she was being dramatic and needed to get back in the pool. A few minutes later I looked up to see the little girl violently vomit into the pool full of 100+ children which caused in immediate drain and clean of the pool!!

MJ

:( I was just leaving guest services when that happened.

How sad.
Were in Palo for brunch on our 2012 New England/Canada Cruise, when a woman went down. It was so sad another woman with her was saying over and over breath....... We never found out what happened, but my husband is a first responder and went over to offer assistance and he didn't think there was a good outcome. I stayed at the other end of the restaurant at our table. I don;t know where the ship's doctor was, but it seemed like forever before he finally came.

The medical team moves as quickly and safely as they can - and they do have elevator override keys - but a couple of things to keep in mind... The medical center usually is on Deck 1 in the forward section. Palo is in the aft on Deck 11 or Deck 12 depending on the ship. That is a good bit of ground to travel. And when a crisis is going on, things do feel like they take longer to happen.

For example, I was in a Broadway theatre a couple of months ago when someone went down in the back of the house. The show stopped and the lights came on as soon as we heard someone yelling "Help me! Please! Help me!" The theatre staff immediately sprang into action with what they know to do, meaning someone was IMMEDIATELY on the phone to 911. It felt like forever until someone got there, but I found out later from some friends who usher there that EMTs were there within 3 minutes of the call. But it felt like a lot longer until we could see EMTs in the back of the house. (And eerily that was the second time that week someone in the audience went down - in about the exact place. No, it's not a scary show.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter