Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I am hoping to use UBER in December to get from the Grand Floridian (DVC Villas) to Cirque Du Soleil. I hear construction and traffic are a fright.

Could we take UBER to a nearby resort (Port Orleans) and then take a disney boat to the West Side Boat Launch?

Same plan for the return?

Traffic isnt fun at dtd, and they just changed it all again. I dropped off at the valet on friday with no problems. Sometimes resorts do not allow nonguests amd will check your name to the dining res list

Hmm. Things must have loosened up, then, from the time the original post to this thread was made. The OP says more than once that there needs to be an ADR or room reservation, even calling out the Contemporary. I really hope it's so...it would make getting to my pre-park BOG much easier.

If its busy, like labor day, then they absolutely check the ADR. Ive had this happen multiple times lately. However all summer long, they never checked once.

1. No tips required! Uber drivers keep 80% of your fare, so Uber says tip is included. Of course, you're free to hand the driver a few bucks for exceptional service but that's at your discretion and certainly not necessary or required. You cannot add tip through the app

Any time you privately hire transportation, it is a service, and if you receive good service you should tip. Is it required? No. Of course not. But you *should*.

A friend of mine is a driver at Disney as well (im serious, this really wasnt me!) and had a guest complain about a $90 cab ride plus $10 tip and a bad experience. The uber ride was under $30 and then the guy didnt tip. That person got 1 star on his rating from the driver. Dont be that guy :)

On a related note, heres the revenue model for cabs vs uber:

Cab: Driver leases the cab for $1000 a week (thats the orlando price) and keeps all the fare. Hes responsible for gas, but not maintanence.

Uber: We own our cars, and many have normal payments. We keep 72-80% of the fare based on service level. We pay for our own gas, repairs, and maintanence.

What about pick ups from the Sanford airport to the Disney area? Is that problematic...I know it would be a bit far, but it seems as though rental cars are less expensive if we were to rent one in the Disney area (we're staying in the Disney area too, although not on property) and not at the Sanford airport - we were thinking of using uber to get to the car rental office and then from the car rental office back to the sanford airport.

Dropoff at contemp is for contemp guests and dining res only. They can, and *do* check names especially when its busy.

Is this new because we did this with no problem in May? At the guard gate we just said we were being dropped off to eat, they scanned my Magic Band and sent us to the front door. And we definitely didn't have an ADR. We often stop into CR to pop into the bar at California Grill, that doesn't require a reservation so I'm not sure how they could turn guests away who are being dropped off and not taking up a parking spot.

It depends on whether they are being strict or not. When they are being strict,they usually have a sign posted at the booth. You definitely can never say youre dropping off for MK. Youll get sent to ttc, which is where you should be dropped off.

It depends on whether they are being strict or not. When they are being strict,they usually have a sign posted at the booth. You definitely can never say youre dropping off for MK. Youll get sent to ttc, which is where you should be dropped off.
Right, but why would you ever say you're dropping off for MK at the CR booth?

What about pick ups from the Sanford airport to the Disney area? Is that problematic...I know it would be a bit far, but it seems as though rental cars are less expensive if we were to rent one in the Disney area (we're staying in the Disney area too, although not on property) and not at the Sanford airport - we were thinking of using uber to get to the car rental office and then from the car rental office back to the sanford airport.

That is a lot of Disney time running.
You have a few choices. Uber back and forth to Sanford, use Disney buses.

Second, Uber to Disney and rent on site at the CCC car care center rental for a few days, they have a shuttle to pick up and drop off. But, I never had the experience to find reduced rates at Disney compared to the airports. More competitive at the Airports.

The third is to watch prices with a rental at Sanford. I have gotten rentals for as low as $118 for a Chrysler 200 at Sanford. But, it is demand based on the rentals, it could be high.

A fourth option I am not sure I would be crazy about is with Allegiant there is a shuttle reservation. I think they stop at various hotels along the way, not like a limo.

Can Uber pick up on the street entrance of the Hyatt on airport property? I'm thinking you could just walk through the building, although I've never been inside the Hyatt. After looking at an airport map on Google, I'm guessing that isn't possible.

Is there a way to walk off airport property and pick up Uber that isn't a crazy long walk. I don't know why, but taking a shuttle to another hotel isn't something I would overly like to do.

Last edited:
That is a lot of Disney time running.
You have a few choices. Uber back and forth to Sanford, use Disney buses.

Second, Uber to Disney and rent on site at the CCC car care center rental for a few days, they have a shuttle to pick up and drop off. But, I never had the experience to find reduced rates at Disney compared to the airports. More competitive at the Airports.

The third is to watch prices with a rental at Sanford. I have gotten rentals for as low as $118 for a Chrysler 200 at Sanford. But, it is demand based on the rentals, it could be high.

A fourth option I am not sure I would be crazy about is with Allegiant there is a shuttle reservation. I think they stop at various hotels along the way, not like a limo.

We're not staying on site at Disney, so we won't be using their transportation. Thanks for the advice. :) My plan is to keep watching what happens with a rental at Sanford. They are still well over $220 for a compact, so I guess it's a waiting game.

Can Uber pick up on the street entrance of the Hyatt on airport property? I'm thinking you could just walk through the building, although I've never been inside the Hyatt. After looking at an airport map on Google, I'm guessing that isn't possible.

Is there a way to walk off airport property and pick up Uber that isn't a crazy long walk. I don't know why, but taking a shuttle to another hotel isn't something I would overly like to do.
The part about the airport pickups that confuse me is why can't they go? I mean, I realize that the Taxi companies complained and all that but if a Uber driver is just in a personal car what is there to stop them from driving to the airport to pick up a friend? May be a friend they haven't ever met in person but couldn't they do that? Using the cell phone waiting areas? Or does Orlando not have one of those?

The part about the airport pickups that confuse me is why can't they go? I mean, I realize that the Taxi companies complained and all that but if a Uber driver is just in a personal car what is there to stop them from driving to the airport to pick up a friend? May be a friend they haven't ever met in person but couldn't they do that? Using the cell phone waiting areas? Or does Orlando not have one of those?

I looked at the Uber app on my phone. When I put the Hyatt in, the app says they can't pick up at the airport. I don't know how to get around that.

The only way to get from the airport to wherever you're going is to hop on one of the free shuttles to an airport hotel and call for an Uber from there.

The only way to get from the airport to wherever you're going is to hop on one of the free shuttles to an airport hotel and call for an Uber from there.
Somehow I don't think the airport hotel folks will appreciate that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter