Every Mile is a Miracle

All our park tickets have been purchased and we get to leave earlier than planned today!

Also, if you have been following me on Instagram, I am 11 days deep into a Margarita Streak. Getting in earlier means the streak lives on!

We made it to rope drop for the first time ever in my life and we got Bay signed up for Jedi Training!

So ... you're saying I'll be able to drag you to rope drop post-5K in January if Jedi Training is in play? (Post-10K will probably be too late for rope drop.)

So ... you're saying I'll be able to drag you to rope drop post-5K in January if Jedi Training is in play? (Post-10K will probably be too late for rope drop.)
I’ve just never been able to get to rope drop on time. But I’m so down going immediately after the 5k!!

We made it to rope drop for the first time ever in my life and we got Bay signed up for Jedi Training!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural (such as running in general?).

I'm not gonna lie. I got a little emotional seeing my nephew in Jedi Training Academy. My sister appointed me as photographer so she and her husband could watch the experience without a camera. What she did not expect was the number of other Jedi Training Academy photos taken that involved Darth Vader or Kylo Ren trying to get the younglings to join the Dark Side. But that's what happens when you ask the resident Star Wars nut in the family to take photos of Star Wars activities. I also got lots of pictures of my nephew. I think I even managed a few of his 16 month old brother practicing his Force push, which he would later show off to Rey.

As a side note, I really love the changes they made to the show recently. You used to get to fight either Darth Vader or the Seventh Sister from the animated show Star Wars Rebels. I heard from a lot of very disappointed people when their child got to fight a character they had never heard of. Now you fight either Darth Vader or Kylo Ren. And let's face it. If you're doing Jedi Training Academy, you should probably know who Darth Vader and Kylo Ren are. As a side note, it was really fun the first time my nephew saw The Empire Strikes Back. I watched him react to the revelation.

Good news: I’m not sunburned. We made rope drop for Universal.

Bad news: I got a huuuuge blister on one of my toes. I didn’t run around Disneyland this morning.

Disneyland One Day Do It All Trip – Friday 8/3/2018
PART ONE

WHEW. What a weekend! I do not recommend doing what we did, but man we had a blast doing it. So, we drove from AZ to CA Thursday afternoon. We were able to leave a bit earlier than planned, which meant getting in earlier and going to bed earlier. We were staying at a Days Inn that is walking distance from Disneyland (about 25 minutes to Downtown Disney and 30 minutes to the gates).
Friday morning started at 6am for us. We got up and started getting ready. Husband made some hotel room coffee to hold us over until we got to Starbucks in Downtown Disney. We were aiming to leave around 7:15am and ended up leaving around 7:20. The hotel had a small continental breakfast, so Bay grabbed a box of Frosted Flakes to eat dry on the walk over and we grabbed some more coffee. The coffee was so awful that I wanted to throw it out but was worried it would turn a bush into a llama, so I waited until I found a trash can. We made it to Starbucks around 7:50 and man it was packed. We were able to snag a nice outside table and have some breakfast though. Brad and I shared a Venti Flat White with a sandwich while Bay had a fruit and yogurt parfait.

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

Once we were done, we headed to the gates. This was my first time ever getting to the park before it opened. A) I am terrible at time management, B) I love sleep, and C) I am late for everything! But here we are at the gates shocking everyone who knows me well. Haha.

IMG_7106.jpg

We headed in to the park around 8:35 and made our way towards Tomorrowland’s rope drop area. Again, a first time thing for me. It was weird. Especially when people started running. Like okay, calm down. Once the dropped the rope at 9:00, we walked to Jedi Training sign ups. We were the second people there and got Bay all signed up. CHECK. While we were there I grabbed out first fast pass: Haunted Mansion (Kind of not sure why this was the first one we grabbed. I am bad at this, clearly.) Our next plan was to go to Peter Pan, but the wait was already at 30 minutes (hindsight, we should have done it then), so we started the day off on the Tea Cups!

IMG_7121.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

Ride: Tea Cups
Bay Approval: 5/5

------------------------------

Next we hit up Alice In Wonderland, which we then realized neither my husband or I had ever been on! Bay loved it though.

IMG_7148.jpg

Ride: Alice In Wonderland

On the walk over to the Haunted Mansion, we saw that the wait for Pirates of the Caribbean was only 5 minutes so we hopped on that! I love this ride and I don’t really care that they made Red into a Pirate. Whatevs. Also, this was the first time I ever noticed the Blue Bayou seating. I really don’t pay attention to much and I tried to do better this trip. Even Brad was like, really? You have never noticed that?... /shrug

IMG_7149.jpg

Ride: Pirates of the Caribbean
Bay Approval: 3/5 (too dark and scary, but likes singing the Pirate Song)

Then we made our way over to the Haunted Mansion, which had no line at all. Hello wasted Fast Pass. Ah well. Love this ride!! At this time I was able to get another FP, so we went with Indiana Jones.

Ride: Haunted Mansion
Bay Approval: 2.5/5 (does not like the stretching room)

After that we decided to knock out Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which had a 25 minute standby wait. It was long and getting warm, but always a good ride. I wish I would have had my phone out because the view of Star Wars land when you are on BTMR was AMAZING.

IMG_7164.jpg

Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

After that we took a little break and hit the bathrooms and filled up our water bottle. We headed towards Indiana Jones and got in the FP line. I pulled up the app and my FP wasn’t there. Instead it was a generic FP for any ride between the slot I had for Indiana Jones. Luckily, I started listening to some DIS podcasts recently and knew what this meant. The ride might have gone down for a bit, so our FP was taken away for this ride but you can still use it elsewhere. Well, the ride wasn’t down at that time and the standby line was only 20 minutes, so we decided to go standby and use the FP at Space Mountain next. Such a huge win!

Ride: Indiana Jones
Bay Approval: 3/5

Next we did Space Mountain, which is always a good time!

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7519.JPG

Ride: Space Mountain
Bay Approval: 5/5 (one of her favorites, even if it doesn't look like it!)

Last edited:
PART TWO

Since we had knocked out so much of Disneyland already, we decided to hop on over to Disneyland California Adventure. The food is better there and we were getting hungry. On the walk over, we selected another FP: Radiator Springs Racer for 5pm. We figured we should lock this one in so we didn’t have to worry about. (Spoiler alert: we should have done it sooner.) On the walk over we decided to give the mobile ordering a try. We ordered from two places: Corn Dog Castle for Bay and the Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill for me and Brad. Mobile ordering was fast and easy. I definitely recommend it. We grabbed Bay’s food and headed to the Cocina where Brad and Bay found a table and I got our food. We ate in the shade in the wharf. The food was delicious! I got the steak street tacos and Brad got a steak bowl. We shared a Pineapple Margarita (#Day12 Margarita Streak) and it was super yummy! I felt full and happy.

IMG_7171.jpg

During lunch, I feel like we were able to pick up another FP (you can get a new one every 90 minutes on the new Disney Max Pass, even if you haven’t used the other ones yet) and we grabbed one for Guardians of the Galaxy.
But we had some time to kill between lunch and when had to be back for Jedi Training, so we headed to the Pixar Pier and on to the Incredicoaster, which had a wait of about 35 minutes. It was pretty hot by now (about 1pm) but the line was kind of shaded. This was Bay’s first upside down rollercoaster experience and she was SO EXCITED. I had only ever ridden California Screamin’ once before and loved it so I was ready to do it again. I loved everything about this coaster. The Incredibles theme works SO WELL. The cookie smell they have in one of the tunnels is so awesome. Loved it!

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7518.JPG

Ride: Incredicoaster
Bay Approval: 11/5 (would ride non-stop)

Right outside of the exit for the Incredicoaster is a cookie stand and I had to try the Jack Jack Cookie Num Nums. It was thick and gooey and delicious. Worth $6? Ehhhhh, but I love me a good Chocolate Chip Cookie, so I had to at least try it. (Also, this is why I couldn’t be a food blogger. I always forget to take a picture before I take a bite.)

IMG_7186.jpg

At this time we had to head back to Disneyland to get Bay lined up for Jedi Training. The area where we had to wait was in the shade and had some nice cool air rolling through it. It was a perfect little break area. Thank you Disneyland! I have watched the Jedi Training plenty of times before so I knew what to expect. It was super cool to be able to have Bay participate though! She had a lot of fun.

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7517.JPG

PART THREE

After Bay defeated both Darth Vader and Kylo Ren, she was a bit hungry, so we called for a snack time! We headed over to Frontierland so I could get a Coco Churro! The thing about Disneyland is that they do Churros so much better than WDW and they are a MUST HAVE food for me. Bonus: that they have all these Pixar themed Churros for Pixar Fest. This churro was so good! The cocoa on it was perfect, the sauce had a little spice to it. It was delicious. Would eat again.

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

On our way back over to DCA, we stopped for our annual picture of Bay on a Mickey head bench. We have been taking one every year since her first trip when she was two. Usually she has on her Mickey Ears and is holding a Mickey plush, but this year we forgot them. I am okay with it though. This really just shows how much she grows every year.

47AD291A-E204-44CE-8EF9-05E1FB4C1253.JPG

On our way into DCA we saw Oswald. The line was short, so we snagged a picture with him. He gave Bay a kiss and made her blush.

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

Up next: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! Bay was NOT happy about this. She has ridden the Tower of Terror THREE times prior to this and it went from loving it to hating it, so we asked her if she would kindly just ride Guardians of the Galaxy with us so she can see what changed and we won’t make her ride it ever again. (Oh the lies we tell our kids.) Even with a FP this queue seemed long, but at least we were inside. I never saw either Guardian of the Galaxy movies, so I didn’t know much about it. The Raccoon plays a big role in this and you get to see Chris Pratt, that’s all I got. My husband and I both thought that it went up and down a LOT more than ToT ever did. All in all, it was still a super fun ride. Bonus: Tower of Terror is better at WDW anyway.

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7516.JPG

Ride: Guardians of the Galaxy
Bay Approval: 1/5 (I don’t like going up and down, can we ride Jumping Jellyfish?)

We had a little down time, so we took Bay to the Disney Junior Dance Party. Definitely not my kind of fun and they should allow booze in here, but it was indoors and cool and Bay was happy. This makes up for her crying on GotG, I guess.

IMG_7297.jpg

Ride: Disney Junior Dance Party
Bay Approval: 5/5 (would dance forever)

Next we had a Fast Pass to Radiator Springs Racer in Carsland. This is Bay’s absolute favorite ride, maybe now only following the Incredicoaster. On our way over, we stop for a family picture since we bought the Max Pass and get the pictures. Then we headed into Carsland. As we are walking through, Bay sees Lightning McQueen, stops dead in her tracks, and brings her hand up to her jaw that is dropped. “OMG Mom! It’s Lightning McQueen!!!! Can I get a picture with him???? He is so handsome!” I say sure, but after we ride Radiator Springs. We walk on over and OF COURSE THAT STUPID RIDE IS DOWN. I check our Fast Pass and, yup, it’s now changed to a generic “ride whatever you want” pass. UGH. I felt so bad because that is Bay’s favorite ride and it never came back up the whole rest of the day. But at least she got to meet Lightning McQueen.

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

PART FOUR

We now had three Fast Passes that needed to get used in an hour and a half, so we were booking it all around DCA. First stop: Soarin’ Around the World. I regret that I never went on this when it was Soarin’ Around California. It is literally the same thing as WDW now and while I love it, I want something different. Still fun though.
Oh yeah, and Brad left his sunglasses on the area underneath his seat so we had to scramble back in through the exit so he could go get them! Glad they were still there!!

Ride: Soarin’ Around The World
Bay Approval: 5/5 (loves when it goes to Paris!)

Since we had that free Fast Pass from Cars breaking down, we decided to do Grizzly River Run. I am full of regret for choosing this. This ride is super fun but I wasn’t wearing the best clothes to get wet in. I was literally wet the entire rest of the night. And my Minnie Keds got soaked, which caused them to shrink up a bit and gave me a gnarly blister on one of my toes. :(

Ride: Grizzly River Run

We snagged a Fast Pass for the Incredicoaster and headed over there to give that one another go. Seriously, love it so much! And afterwards, Bay got to meet Mr. Incredible!

IMG_7308.jpg
IMG_7520.JPG

Then we took another little booze and snack break. We got Bay a Mickey Bar, I got a Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich and some bubbles, and Brad got a Bottle Logic Blonde Ale. We hung out under the Sonoma Terrace and relaxed while making our next plans.

IMG_7312.jpg
IMG_7317.jpg
IMG_7521.jpg

I asked Bay if there was anything else she wanted to ride at DCA, and she said the Jumping Jellyfish, so we did those, but we didn’t stop from messing with her saying that this is just like GotG and that she has to go on that next if she makes us do this…… Sigh, kids man.

IMG_7333.jpg

Ride: Jumping Jellyfish
Bay Approval: 5/5 (this is nothing like GotG, it goes way slower!)

I am just now realizing we never actually walked around the whole Pier at DCA. We never even walked by Toy Story Mania. Ha. Ooops.

IMG_7322.jpg

So, we said goodbye to DCA and went back to Disneyland for the remainder of the night. We grabbed a FP for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and rode that really quick.

Ride: Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Bay: 5/5 pew pew pew

Then someone said to ride the Astro Orbitor at night so you can see all the lights. Well, while Brad and Bay waited in line for that, I ran over and got her Jedi pictures. I came back and got in line. Bay rode with me and Brad rode alone. Hands down the worst ride ever with a 6 year old who couldn’t get the rocket back up in the air and I thought I was gonna fall out for half the ride. The view was awesome while we were up there though. This was a first time ride for me.

IMG_7336.JPG

Ride: Astro Orbitor
Bay Approval: 4/5

The line for Star Tours was about 25 minutes, so we went on that. The queue felt long, but I was just tired and hungry. OMG speaking of hungry, we haven’t eaten dinner. What’s open at 9pm?!?! I had full intentions of finally trying the Grey Stuff at the Red Rose Tavern, but they were closed. Every. Freaking. Place. was closed except the Galactic Grill and I swear that I eat there every time we go to Disneyland because I guess we spend a lot of time in that area?! I don’t know but I didn’t want to eat there. We decided to eat in Downtown Disney and power through. Star Tours was Star Tours. Check.

Ride: Star Tours

I did end up getting a Fast Pass for Space Mountain but realized that it was for 11:15pm and nope, no thanks. So we cancelled it and jumped in the 25 minute standby line. We rode that one last time. Bay always loves riding that “alone” as in no one is sitting next to her. Fine by me, see you later kiddo.

Ride: Space Mountain
Bay Approval: still 5/5

Bay really wanted to ride Alice again but something about waiting for the Fire Marshall’s approval had Alice and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride down. Hard pass, thanks. We hopped on the Tea Cups for one more cuppa before bed.

IMG_7348.jpg

Then checked out the insanely long line at Peter Pan and decided that we missed our chance and won’t be riding that today. :( So we did Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and Snow White’s Scary Adventures, both of which we have never done. Both were okay. Nothing special.

We decided to call it a night because we had to be up super early to make it to Universal Studios the next morning at opening. We hit up the Uva Bar for dinner. I finally tried my first (and last) Frose. It was meh. Bay fell asleep on the table. I ate Steak Frites and most of her Mac n Cheese.

We ended up getting an Uber to our hotel because my feet were HURTING. But all in all, it was a successful Disneyland/DCA day.

IMG_7278.jpg

Total Time in Parks: 13.5 hours
Total Rides Done: 21
Ride Repeats: 3

Last edited:
Ummm... Sounds like the BEST DAY EVER!!! What a blast!! Bay is the sweetest- you guys got some great pictures!
(And I love your Rose Gold Ears!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter