• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Every Mile is a Miracle

I get all crazy when it comes to shiny things!!!
I'm right there with you! I kept trying to keep a count of the people ahead of me and by mile 1 I was like, nah, I totally got this. I did a race in November and they only had medals for the first 50 people and I freaked a little then, but still got one!

Congrats on the race - you did a great job! I love that medal, it's so pretty and vibrant.
Also ... it's a good thing you ran this race. Because you really can't have a balloon race with no balloons, that would just be wrong.

Congrats on the race - you did a great job! I love that medal, it's so pretty and vibrant.
Also ... it's a good thing you ran this race. Because you really can't have a balloon race with no balloons, that would just be wrong.
Thanks Sarah! At the end one of volunteers commented that I even didn't pop my balloon! But some of the places we had to run through was shrubbery and I had to hold it in because it for sure would have popped. LOL.

One of my work perks is that they subsidize a Fitbit for everyone that works for the city. And they do these challenges every so often to help keep people moving. Well, apparently I won the last challenge that ended (thanks to my DBP and RNR Race weekend), and I got a year free subscription to the Fitbit Coach app! I don't know how much I'll use it but I do need to incorporate some strength training into my routine so maybe this will help with that.

So cool about the fitbit challenge!! Congrats to you.

Also, awesome medal. I agree with others that I'd have been tempted to blow my paces to get one.

I'd tolerate the outfits...but may run slightly ahead of you

Not me. I'd be behind. I'd rather be chasing that be chased.

That is such a fun race, and such a cute medal!

I am not fan of clowns, so I can't say the same about your costumes...

I told myself that this year I would get back into Triathlons, since it's been years since I have done one. I had my eye on a local Tri that is in March. Someone at work just told me that they shortened some of the Sprint distances (the swim & bike, specifically).
This is usually what a Sprint distance triathlon entails: 750m swim/20km bike/5km run
This is what their website says: 400m swim/10mi bike/5km run
(AND THE SWIM IS MY FAVORITE PART.)
I emailed them to find out if maybe it was just a typo and I am waiting to hear back from them about it. But if that is the case, I might have to do my first Olympic Triathlon distance (1500m swim/40km bike/10km run) and I just don't know if I am ready for that distance yet.

I told myself that this year I would get back into Triathlons, since it's been years since I have done one. I had my eye on a local Tri that is in March. Someone at work just told me that they shortened some of the Sprint distances (the swim & bike, specifically).
This is usually what a Sprint distance triathlon entails: 750m swim/20km bike/5km run
This is what their website says: 400m swim/10mi bike/5km run
(AND THE SWIM IS MY FAVORITE PART.)
I emailed them to find out if maybe it was just a typo and I am waiting to hear back from them about it. But if that is the case, I might have to do my first Olympic Triathlon distance (1500m swim/40km bike/10km run) and I just don't know if I am ready for that distance yet.

Do both! Use the sprint as a good way to practice your transitions and pacing for the Olympic. :)

Do both! Use the sprint as a good way to practice your transitions and pacing for the Olympic. :)
The only problem is, they are on the same day! I think I'm either gonna just do the Oly and hope for the best or skip it altogether.

I'm a little behind- but congrats on a great race and an awesome outfit!! Those medal are also really cool!

(PS way to go on the fitbit challenge! Winner Winner!)

DBP Week 8 Report 1/22 - 1/28
Planned:
Monday 1/22 - REST DAY!!!!!
Tuesday 1/23 - W8DBP 5 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides (BLIND)
Wednesday 1/24 - Gym
Thursday 1/25 - W8DBP 1 mi @ WU 13:09 // 4 mi @ Tempo 10:01 // .50 mi @ CD 13:09
Friday 1/26 - Swim
Saturday 1/27 - W8DBP Sandie's Pass 5k + 5 additional miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 1/28 - W8DBP 11 Miles @ LR 11:11 (Nutrition)

Monday: Rest Day = Best Day

Tuesday: I forgot this was supposed to be blind until about .75 miles in, so I immediately turned off my audio cues and tried not to look at my watch. Not too shabby, I guess.
Plan: 5 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides (BLIND)
Actual: 5.00 Miles @ 12:11
Splits: 12:09, 12:15, 12:43, 12:22, 11:29 (Strides)

Wednesday: I happened to look at my bank account the night before and saw the charge for my gym membership so I drug my hubby to the gym with me. Haha. We did a 20 minute spin class and I did some bodyweight workout on my Fitbit Coach app that I just won from my work.

Thursday: My tempos are getting longer but this one felt easy and it was hard to stay at my pace that I was supposed to. But it never felt hard and I felt really strong.
Plan: 1 mi @ WU 13:09 // 4 mi @ Tempo 10:01 // .50 mi @ CD 13:09
Actual: 1 mi @ 12:17 // 4 mi @ 9:41 // .50 mi @ 12:16

Friday: I slept in, so I missed the morning lap swim session at the pool. I went during my lunch break though and got my swim in for the week!
Plan: 1600 yds - 100 SKPS, 200 F/B, 3 x 100 Free/50 Sprint, 200 F/B, 250 Pull, 100 CD
Also, I decided to start another run streak. (I know, I know.) But starting it yesterday means I will end a 33 day run streak on my 33rd birthday and I like when numbers do that!
Run Streak Day 2: 1.05 mile @ 10:30

Saturday: So we last minute signed up for another local race that was happening this morning. The girl putting in on was in my High School Graduating class and about 4 years ago her mom got hit by a drunk driving while riding her bike. The 5k race went to bring awareness to drunk driving. This group also got Uber started in our town, which is awesome. Love supporting a good cause, just wish the circumstances weren't so. Anyway, I got my husband to run 3 5ks with me this month. That's a bonus.
I was wayyyy too fast on my runs this whole weekend. I am going to try really hard to nail my paces better next week.
Run #1 Plan: 5 Miles @ EB 11:34
Run #1 Actual: 5.27 @ 10:36
Run #1 Spilts: 10:32, 10:45, 10:44, 10:30, 10:26

Race Plan: 5k @ EB 11:34
Race Actual: 3.06 @ 10:55
Race Splits: 10:26, 11:03, 11:28
IMG_2775.jpg IMG_2781.JPG

After the race, we took a little family road trip to Kingman, AZ for lunch at a new brewery that opened there. I had pizza and beer and I was happy as can be!
IMG_2782.jpg IMG_2812.jpg

Sunday:
I was dreading this run so much. Like so, so much. First off, this was going to be the longest training run I have ever ran. Eleven miles. Woof. But on top of that, I knew I needed to start getting some hills in. The good thing is that my city is basically sitting on a hill so finding a route was easy, but that route was H A R D. So I did about 700 ft of elevation for 6 miles and then ran all the way back down and met my husband and Bay at breakfast. I am proud to say that I did it and I didn't die. I still ran way too fast. But again I felt good. And now, I am just so exhausted.
Plan: 11 Miles @ LR 11:11
Actual: 11.04 @ 10:59
Race Splits: 10:37, 10:22, 10:49, 10:44, 10:46, 12:23, 10:39, 10:46, 10:48, 11:27, 11:16

View of the lake from mile 6:
IMG_2855.jpg

Upcoming Training:
Monday 1/29 - Run Streak 1 Miler
Tuesday 1/30 - W9DBP 5 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides
Wednesday 1/31 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler
Thursday 2/1 - W9DBP 1 mi @ WU 13:09 // 4 mi @ Tempo 10:01 // .50 mi @ CD 13:09
Friday 2/2 - Swim & Run Streak 1 Miler
Saturday 2/3 - W9DBP 7 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 2/4 - W9DBP 8 Miles @ LR 11:11

Last edited:
Solid week!

-Great blind run!
-Tempo feeling easier :scratchin
-Saturday a little too fast (try to slow down though)
-Sunday with massive hills still too fast (try to slow down though)

Some great info! You are setting yourself up for a spectacular performance. Because you're so close to race day now though, really try to pull back on these runs because you don't want to induce more fatigue than intended heading into race day. Not much time left! I'm getting excited!

Definitely a running weekend for you- fun race and a good long run! Great job with those hills :)

And pizza and beer... not a bad combo, not bad at all. :P

I'm fairly certain that pizza and beer is literally the best post-race food ever. I'm pretty sure that's been scienficically proven. And if it hasn't been, it should be.

Sounds like a great week of running! It's good that you notice that you're too fast and want to do better next week - that means you understand the importance of the paces and you're going to put in the work to make sure you get them right!

Solid week!

-Great blind run!
-Tempo feeling easier :scratchin
-Saturday a little too fast (try to slow down though)
-Sunday with massive hills still too fast (try to slow down though)

Some great info! You are setting yourself up for a spectacular performance. Because you're so close to race day now though, really try to pull back on these runs because you don't want to induce more fatigue than intended heading into race day. Not much time left! I'm getting excited!
Thanks Billy! I showed my husband my splits and he was like "you really have a problem running slow" then I showed him your reply. Haha. I will work on running slow this week. Should my tempos not feel easier?!

Definitely a running weekend for you- fun race and a good long run! Great job with those hills :)

And pizza and beer... not a bad combo, not bad at all. :P
Thank you! Pizza and beer is my favorite combo. Haha.

I'm fairly certain that pizza and beer is literally the best post-race food ever. I'm pretty sure that's been scienficically proven. And if it hasn't been, it should be.

Sounds like a great week of running! It's good that you notice that you're too fast and want to do better next week - that means you understand the importance of the paces and you're going to put in the work to make sure you get them right!
Thank you! I am definitely hoping I can get these paces down. I feel like when I slow down, I slow down too much then speed up too much to make up for it. I'm a mess, haha.

COMPLETELY AGREED.

Thank you! I am definitely hoping I can get these paces down. I feel like when I slow down, I slow down too much then speed up too much to make up for it. I'm a mess, haha.

What a solid week of running! Congrats on finishing that 11-miler, especially with a hilly route. That's awesome! RE: the speeds. I feel you. I had the inverse happen to me this morning... Every time I looked at my watch my instantaneous speed was WAY too fast, so I'd slow down... then I'd look again and be going too fast. I was so all over the board that I ended up finishing with a SLOWER than instructed pace, which was so weird. Anyways, all of that to say that pacing is hard, man.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter