Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

If you follow a running path.......(no pun intended)....

10 weeks seems on the short side to train for a half--especially coming off MW. 5k gives you time to do light recovery running and then factor in an 8wk plan if you want.
yeah, that was one of the things I was also lightly considering. But then I justify it to myself as, I walked most of the 5k, half of the 10k, the half was shortened, and I walked most of the back half of the full. And part of that was keeping in mind that I would need to be functional for refereeing starting on the 15th (aka, sprint, stand/pace around, repeat.) So while MW was tiring, and I did a lot miles, I didn't really push myself. And I feel like I could maybe just chop the first 5 weeks off a training plan, which would start me at around 6mi for a long run for Higdon novice 1 (or 8mi for novice 2.)

And also, I currently like 5ks the least out of all of the distances. I'm not sure how well I would keep up the training for a 5k when I'm not excited about running one.

And also, I currently like 5ks the least out of all of the distances. I'm not sure how well I would keep up the training for a 5k when I'm not excited about running one.

I'm a firm believer in "the best plan is the one you will actually follow". So if 5k doesn't do it for you, and the shortened half plan does, then I would go for that.

Training plan is in a calendar. The lifting program is 8 weeks, and I have 10, so there's a little wiggle room if I need to miss days with schedule craziness. I think SIL might do the program "with" me as well. Her schedule is as crazy as mine, plus being a 1st grade teacher on top of it.

*sigh*

Our oldest dog, the one who basically raised the one that just passed, isn't doing very well. I'm hoping it's just stress from his friend being suddenly gone, but ugh. He vomits when he's stressed out, and I've cleaned up a lot of messes in the last 2 days. He's also lost some weight. He is 11, but this has been a pretty significant decline for him.

Good luck to anyone trying to get back to the east coast this week! We went from having no snow, to about 2ft of heavy stuff and some pretty big drifts in 2 days with this storm. And a week of single-digits is in the forecast (which is likely getting warmed up from the plains by Lake Michigan.) Yay treadmill!

Good luck to anyone trying to get back to the east coast this week! We went from having no snow, to about 2ft of heavy stuff and some pretty big drifts in 2 days with this storm. And a week of single-digits is in the forecast (which is likely getting warmed up from the plains by Lake Michigan.) Yay treadmill!

Definitely. Glad this happened after Dopey and not before.

Hope your dog is feeling better soon.

The CMs at Art of Disney told us these would be a month out. Orrrr 2 weeks. These were a nice thing to unwrap since we haven’t had any sunshine since we got back home from MW (and got 22.5in of snow last weekend alone.)
4AEA8FF4-BA27-4F61-909D-6177770AA42A.jpeg

Our only oops was that we have one more spot for the row these are in that we had intended to get a 3rd sketch to complete it. 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

On the training side of things, I think I am going to do what @jmasgat suggested and do a 5k plan instead of a HM. There are a couple of reasons for this: if any of the kids run the 5k and I ran the half in March, they would be sitting around waiting for me for at least 90min, if not longer. So from a logistics standpoint, it makes sense to do the 5k. Added to this, SIL and I are going to try to do a race probably in June. There are a few HMs that are within a couple hours of us (two could possibly be combined into a weekend camping trip) and doing a 5k training plan NOW could theoretically help me with my speed. (My secret goal is to get under 30min for a 5k, but I doubt that will happen with only 10wks of training.)

So here's my plan. I stick to my lifting program, and I pivot from Higdon novice 1 HM to Higdon 5k intermediate. I am planning on doing a bit more mileage than his plan calls for since I will only have about 11ish weeks to specifically train for the "maybe in June" HM.

My question is: some of these runs he says to run fast (these are the day before a long run and are 3 days after either 400 repeats or a "tempo" run.)
From his website:
"Fast: For several of the Saturday runs, I suggest that you run “fast.” How fast is “fast?” Again, that depends on your comfort level. Go somewhat faster than you would on a “run” day. If you are doing this workout right, you probably do not want to converse with your training partner, assuming you have one. It’s okay now to get out of breath."

Should these "fast" runs be more HM, T, or 10k paced?

Should these "fast" runs be more HM, T, or 10k paced?

I hate ambiguity like this. But his definition of fast sounds like the definition I have used for "tempo", i.e. easy pace minus about 30-40 seconds, also referred to as "Aerobic".

I have used the BAA Level 2 5k plan if you want to look at that:
https://www.baa.org/races/baa-5k/train/leveltwo

Their pace chart is here:
https://www.baa.org/races/baa-5k/train

But even they mix up terms (Moderate--where did you define that, please? Oh, did you mean Aerobic)

Last edited:
Well, I had never looked at a Higdon 5K plan before, and WOW that guide is unhelpful 😅 However, since those "fast" runs go up to 5 miles, I wouldn't think you'd want to do them any faster than M or HM pace, with a WU and CD added. That would be a LOT for T/10K pace.

Well last week went.....kind of how figured it would. Which is to say, things got derailed.

I started a new-to-me lifting program (Sure Thing on BODi) since I know that program's trainer is more about lifting and less about sneaking in cardio. I went really light (I thought) with the weights. And I was sore. Muscles I had forgotten how to use, weren't used by running, etc. Also, plyometric alternating jump lunges are still awful, and I still suck at "power" moves that involve jumping.

I got through Wednesday, and then my lower back on the right side started to give me trouble. Basically, when I would do things that would engage my core (sitting up in bed, bending/squatting/twisting) it felt like my lower back was going to seize up. I ended up taking the rest of the week off because I'd rather miss a few days now than have this turn into "a thing." I'm heading to the chiropractor this afternoon because I'm pretty confident that one of my hips is off and causing most of this problem....of course, the hip is probably off because I've neglected my core for the past 2 years. Sooooo, yeah. Don't be like me. Take care of your core. I also tweaked something in my shoulder. Yaaaaay.

DH said "when we go back, not if, I want to eat here" and showed my his phone. "Here" is Space 220. So any tips/thoughts about that are welcome. I think he wants a little bit of redemption for his half-of-a-half and also is talking about doing fewer races next year so there aren't so many early-morning wakeups. Fingers crossed that his attitude stays the same in April.

Last edited:
DH said "when we go back, not if, I want to eat here" and showed my his phone. "Here" is Space 220. So any tips/thoughts about that are welcome.
If you want to go just for the experience, not specifically the food, try for a lounge reservation. The lounge menu is a la carte, so we just got drinks and a snack and still felt like we had "done" the restaurant. Also going at sunset was neat because we got to see the Earth go dark.

If you want to go just for the experience, not specifically the food, try for a lounge reservation. The lounge menu is a la carte, so we just got drinks and a snack and still felt like we had "done" the restaurant. Also going at sunset was neat because we got to see the Earth go dark.

Was going to say the same thing. We went to Space 220 Lounge after the marathon. We had done the Restaurant once and thought it was way too overpriced for what it was worth, we'll never go back. At the Lounge, you can still order the same food items from the restaurant menu but you can order less and not pay for the prix fixe full meal.

Was going to say the same thing. We went to Space 220 Lounge after the marathon. We had done the Restaurant once and thought it was way too overpriced for what it was worth, we'll never go back. At the Lounge, you can still order the same food items from the restaurant menu but you can order less and not pay for the prix fixe full meal.
Is a reservation required for the lounge? Or is similar to nomad lounge/tiffins in AK

Is a reservation required for the lounge? Or is similar to nomad lounge/tiffins in AK
We had a reservation when we went and I think they're still required and tough to get. You might be able to do a walk up if you go when they first open, but if this is a "must do" I wouldn't count on that.

My thoughts are the same. We were excited to try it on our trip in September and I walked away thinking that it was a very cool set up and experience, but the food was not worth the cost (even by Disney standards - as this was one of the most expensive meals we've done at Disney). The lounge would give the experience without all of the cost.

I know we talk about races being a celebration of your training, and maybe that's what it really boiled down to; there wasn't really training to celebrate. I just did it. And for me, this is kind of a dangerous thing to know; I can definitely see it opening up the door to me making excuses in future training programs because I was able to get away with what I did this year. I'm still trying to unpack it.
I totally feel this. I essentially did not train for my six races, and DL was such a letdown logistically. I was a little ::meh:: at the end of it all, especially with nobody there to celebrate with. I was longing for our DATW the week before!

but dang it's just not long enough
It never is. :hug:

Welp. Gonna hunker down and probably start taking my zoloft every day for a little bit. I'm either going to be on here way too much, or I'm going to check-out and lurk for a bit while we work through how crappy this month is ending up.

We had to let one of our dogs go this morning; his health had deteriorated pretty drastically in the last 3 weeks (it was headed down, and our other dog passing on the 8th seemed to really just tip the balance for him) and we couldn't in good conscience make him continue on the way he was. For anyone keeping track, that's 2 dogs in 18 days. The younger 2 kids are taking it pretty hard. The older 2 are dealing with it (based on appearance) much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter