Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

I am so sorry for your loss! That is just heartbreaking :sad1:

Sending hugs and good thoughts to you and your family :grouphug:

So sorry to hear about your dog. It’s a rough life lesson for kids to have to process (as well as you).

I'm so sorry for your loss. Loosing one dog is already hard enough, I can't imagine loosing both of them so close together.

We are all adjusting to our new, much-less-doggy-energy normal in our house. Our remaining pup is a bit down, understandably, but our 12 and 4 year old kiddos are absolutely smothering her with attention. I've started looking at options and ideas for getting another dog in the spring, but I'm not sure if we really want to add a 2nd dog back in or not, or if we would want a puppy or a young-adult (which could be an immediate runner partner?) Some of this will depend on how our remaining dog does as an only; she has never been an only pet in her life and she's 9, so she's young enough to help a new dog learn how our house works and tolerate the energy level of a younger dog.

I'm bouncing around different breed ideas (and looking at rescues) because I don't know if we want to get another lab; a smaller dog would be more "portable" and I'm kind of over the 24/7 shedding that labs do (we have always had a lab for the last 20 years.) Maybe a Brittany? A Springer? Something in the 30-50# range that's active but not a psycho or too-smart for their own good like a shepherd. DH has already told me to NOT show him puppy pictures because he knows that I'll get him to "cave" (which means that he's not against the idea, but we want our house to stabilize before we get serious about it.)

Training-related:
I didn't do anything last week. I lasted a week on my weight training program. I'm planning on picking it up either this week or next week because I'm refereeing every night this week except Friday, and I have 6 games in a row on Saturday; getting sore from lifting and then having to do all of the activity for basketball just isn't a great idea, and my schedule starts slowing down next week.

Non-training-related:
I found some recipes that were supposed to be dupes of Sanaa's bread service dips, so we tried to make the green one (coriander chutney) on Sunday. First, it's good. Is it exactly like Sanaa's? No. However. Did I add more jalepeno than the recipe said? Yes. And I left the seeds in. Changes we'll make in the future: use the amount of jalapeno it calls for if we want the kids to eat it (I did 2/3 of a "normal" size pepper, not 1/4 of a small one) and half of the lemon juice. The lemon really overpowers a lot of the flavor, and it's not that it's so lemony as it is just acidic and tart. Don't halve the recipe, and use a stick/immersion blender instead of a food processor to get the texture right.

I want to make the tomato-date jam next, and maybe the red chili sambal. Bonus points to costco for having naan and one less thing for me to make.

Weekly wrap-up:

No running (specifically) and no lifting.
What I DID do, however, was referee 13 games in 6 days. And let me just say, I was absolutely exhausted on Friday.

Monday and Wednesday were not-too-crazy nights of middle school girls games (2 each night,) where only one of the games was even/competitive and the others were very lop-sided. That's pretty normal for that age group, and for high school girls as well for whatever reason.

Tuesday was a last minute assignment to a freshman boys game, and then a "Hey, if you want to do the JV game too, we can put you on it." So I did both of those games, and that was a lot more running/uptempo than I've done in a hot minute.

Thursday was yet another non-competitive freshman girls game, and my brain was wiped from the last 3 days. I feel like it was by far my worst officiated game of the year, although the veteran official I was paired with said I did a good job.

This had me at about 8 hours of cardio for the week. For reference, that's the same as my peak week of marathon training. And on Friday I was a wreck. Felt sick, was exhausted, had brain fog. Weird aches in my lower leg. I ended up going to bed at like 8pm and getting 11 hours of sleep, which meant that I actually felt like a person on Saturday. Which is a good thing because.....

Saturday was 6-in-a-row middle school boys games for the YMCA, so we don't do quite as many "switches" on the court for positioning to save steps and be able to get through the whole day.

That put me at just over 14 hours for the week. For reference, my peak weeks for marathon training are about 8 hours.
During the games I am usually in zone 2 or 3 for HR (I did creep into zone 4 for about 15min during the boys JV game on Tuesday) and back into zone 1 during half time/between games.....which are usually 8-10min "breaks" where I chug water, eat a fruit rollup or the stroopwaffles from the runners boxes at MW and try to stretch my hamstrings back out.

I'm 6 weeks out from the 5k (I've pretty much decided that's what it's going to be) I'm planning on running, and I'm trying to decide what type of run I need to try to do during the week (I have 3 weeks of refereeing left.) Do I do longer easy runs for endurance/mileage since I'm doing a lot of mini-sprints at basketball? Or do I do longer tempo intervals to work on speed? The answer is probably both, but I think that until refereeing is done, that longer easy runs might be the better choice.

I'm also starting to think ahead more seriously about finding a POT race if they do make the threshold for that 2:30 for MW (although that would only help me for the HM, since I don't know how realistic a POT for the M would be.) 2:30 would be about a 10min PR for me at that distance. There's always the option of trying for one earlier in the year, and then again in early fall if training is going well? I'm not really sure.

Last edited:
This had me at about 8 hours of cardio for the week. For reference, that's the same as my peak week of marathon training. And on Friday I was a wreck. Felt sick, was exhausted, had brain fog. Weird aches in my lower leg.
Just wanted to give you another big virtual hug. You're not alone. I've been struggling with brain fog and weird aches since coming back from Orlando too. I blame decision fatigue and family management but my girl friends say it's probably just overall tiredness. Good for you for getting a few good nights rest.

So I talked about finding a POT race, which means I need to look at training plans, their length, and then find some races to see what might fit into the schedule.

Higdon Intermediate 2 is supposedly speed based which for him is code for "400m repeats midweek," and is of moderate mileage (honestly it's similar-ish mileage to the M plans that Billy has written for me, but some other HM plans are just too much mileage for my paces/schedule) which is a good thing when I look at what our schedule is going to look like in the spring. But I digress. The HI2 plan is 13 weeks long. Consider that I will need a few weeks of lead-in to get some sustained mileage back on my legs, and we are looking at something in the last week of May at the earliest.
Looking at races that are within a 2-3(max) hour drive that time of year I have the following choices:

May 25: Bayshore. Waitlist at this point. $120(?!)

June 8: Ludington Lakestride. Currently $45, looks flat. 8am start. Seems promising until I read this part, "Once clear of the woods, you run down the infamous sand dune...." Yeah. That happens in the middle of the race. And there's almost 2mi of trail running right before the sand dune downhill. I would 100% have to stop and empty my shoes.
1707146341579.png

June 15: Charlevoix. Currently $80. Flat. May have pacers (although their slowest HM pace group is 2:30 ...>insert me rolling my eyes< )but looking at last year's results, either they didn't actually end up with a 2:30 pacer, or they were very not-successful since there were only like 4 or 5 people who crossed at 2:30:xx. 6:30am start.

June 30: Suttons Bay 'Run Michigan Cheap.' $30. Flat. Bare-bones race, so probably very few people. 8am start. Not great timing as we are usually super busy at work.

Weather is usually in the low-to-mid 50s in the morning in June. But it could also be in the low 40s, or mid 80s. All of these are run along Lake Michigan, so that helps moderate the temperature, but can also bring wind. DS1 will have his graduation open-house on one of those weekends, and I don't know which one. The plus is that almost all of the training would happen before school gets done, which would give me 3 weekdays/week where I don't have to also entertain DD while I run. The downside is that there is something sports-related going 4-5 days per week for all of April and May.

OR.

I wait until September. Where there will be probably 1 chance for me to do a PR-effort race, because it'll need to be on a Sunday. Which narrows it to Holland Haven on September 8 (HM) or the LMCU Bridge Run on September 15 (10mi.) That's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. And September weather is significantly more of a crap-shoot than June.

Last edited:
Is it an option to do two? You could race Charlevoix, which would give you an indication of how your training is working, but if it doesn't go as planned you'd have a few months to adjust and go for it again in September.
it is. but just trying to figure out what might fit into the schedule and where....and spending $80 on a race is just kind of ugh. (and yes, I definitely see the irony when compared with a disney race.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter