Everything Early Theme Park Entry (ETPE) - Please Read Post 1

Yes, Disney does this to discourage people from getting in line. It’s normally a great choice to ignore the posted wait time and get in line in the last 15 mins of the day.
I’d add that at closing, very few LL passes are being redeemed. Therefore the “throughput” increases. During the day, it’s like 9 LL to 1 Standby. But at closing it’s almost all Standby. So the wait is reduced by almost 90%.

I’d add that at closing, very few LL passes are being redeemed. Therefore the “throughput” increases. During the day, it’s like 9 LL to 1 Standby. But at closing it’s almost all Standby. So the wait is reduced by almost 90%.
And after closing no one can redeem LL. So after the last LL gets through (in most cases no later than 10-15min post closing), it’s 100% standby.

Also not all attractions seem to have that bad of a ratio. For example at Speedway there seems to be relatively few using the LL there in the times I’ve ridden it. I would say the majority came from standby on that one.

Just back from 5 days at WDW - the parks were really crowded! Because of other plans, I only did ETPE for DHS and AK but here's how it went for me:
- for DHS, coming from All Star Music, I got in the bus line at 6:45 am. At the all-important 7am hour, I was on the bus (where the wi-fi isn't great), so when I bought the ILL for RoTR my time was 7:45-8:45 pm. I was one of the first 10 people in line at the tap style. They let us in the park at 7:30 and I headed for SDD. They didn't start running Slinky until about 7:55 but I was on the third train. I was able to do SDD, TSM and MFSR all by about 9:15.
- For AK - I was coming from AKL Jambo (switched resorts), and so I got on the bus around 6:40, at AK by 6:45.. I was pretty far back in the tapstyle line, but headed for FoP with everyone else and only waited 20 minutes for it, then about 30 for Navi boat ride. They didn't open KS until 8:30.

Hi all - to everyone who has done ETPE, how long do you have to stand in the security queue. The only park i really care about is HS. If regular park open is 8am on our day such that early park entry is 7:30, if i get there at 7:25, is that enough time to get through security? How long does it take? Also how is the line for resort guests separate from non resort guests. Thanks in advance!

Hi all - to everyone who has done ETPE, how long do you have to stand in the security queue. The only park i really care about is HS. If regular park open is 8am on our day such that early park entry is 7:30, if i get there at 7:25, is that enough time to get through security? How long does it take? Also how is the line for resort guests separate from non resort guests. Thanks in advance!

When we were there last week we went to HS three times at opening. Security is very easy now. Everyone walks through a metal detector and if something you have sets it off they just pull you aside. No more long lines. From there they have people scanning to make sure you’re eligible for early hours, then you go to the queue to tap in. The very last opening to the right is where they line up off site guests. The other entrances are all for ETPE (they are holding signs so it’s marked well). I’d suggest going to the furthest right spot to go in, then when you walk past the people scanning tickets head as far right as you can again to tap in.

Regular park opening was 830, so early was 8. We got there a little before 730 twice and right after once. They opened the gates at 730. I would say if you get there 5 minutes before the actual opening time you will be pretty far back in the crowd. I would try to get there a little earlier, especially if you’re going for one of the bigger wait rides right away. us getting there 5 minutes later gave us about a 20 minute more wait for sdd (from a couple minutes to about 20).

For MK this morning we were at the Congress Park bus stop at SSR just before 7 so we could be there to get our first LL for JC and try for one for Remy for this evening. A bus came to the stop for each of the 4 parks within 5 minutes after 7. So, our bus arrived at MK shortly before 7:30, when they first let the buses into the lot.

They were just opening the security line as we walked up and we were among the first 10 people through, and there were just a few people (who must have arrived on the resort monorail) ahead of us. They opened up the tapstiles at about 7:45 and we went to the bridge to go to Space Mountain.

They dropped the rope and started walking the group toward SM a few minutes before 8:30. We did a pretty good job of holding our position near the front of the group despite the usual attempts by people from behind to elbow ahead or outflank the group.

We did Space and Buzz by 8:50 and headed toward BTMM and Spalsh. They opened up the park to all guests a little before 9 so we’re trailing the masses headed there. Spalsh was down so the crowd going into BTMM was massive. Still once we got through the place where they squeezed the crowd into a single file we moved quickly through the line and were off by 9:25.

The number of people who come early these days compared to 10 years ago is pretty striking.

Last edited:
For MK this morning we were at the Congress Park bus stop at SSR just before 7 so we could be there to get our first LL for JC and try for one for Remy for this evening.
Out of curiosity what LL window did you get for JC?

They were just opening the security line as we walked up and we were among the first 10 people through, and there were just a few people (who must have arrived on the resort monorail) ahead of us. They opened up the tapstiles at about 7:45 and we went to the bridge to go to Space Mountain.

They dropped the rope and started walking the group toward SM a few minutes before 8:30. We did a pretty good job of holding our position near the front of the group despite the usual attempts by people from behind to elbow ahead or outflank the group.

We did Space and Buzz by 8:50 and headed toward BTMM and Spalsh. They opened up the park to all guests a little before 9 so we’re trailing the masses headed there. Spalsh was down so the crowd going into BTMM was massive. Still once we got through the place where they squeezed the crowd into a single file we moved quickly through the line and were off by 9:25.

The number of people who come early these days compared to 10 years ago is pretty striking.
Thanks for the details. You have encouraged me to try for Space Mtn during ETPE.

We had an interesting morning at DHS. After my previous experience and planning regarding Genie+ I made a couple of embarrassing rookie mistakes, but was able to recover from them to put together a great morning. I guess it helps if you make mistakes to know what you have to do to overcome them.

I’ll cover the mistakes in a later post that will go into the category of: “don’t do what I did”.

Anyway, we were at the Congress Park stop at SSR at 6:30 and the bus came shortly after. So, we got to DHS before the security lines opened, and were still outside at 7 AM where our plan was to try to get an early time for SDD and, failing that, one for MFSR. I was going to wait until 7:17 to see if I could get something early for ROTR. Because of a chance of storms today we weren’t sure if we would be returning to DHS after our midday break.

They opened the security lines right after 7, and our early arrival allowed us to be first in line at one of the tapstiles.

I booked our LL for ROTR at 7:17 (more on that later).

When they let us in at 7:30 we went directly to TOT. We were the second group in line there; we would have been first except for two young girls who ran past us.

From there:

1. Let on TOT a minute or two before 8:00. We went right through the pre show library and onto the elevator.

2. 8:10 Walked through the pre show at RNRC and were off by 8:20

3. 8:25- Offsite guests already in. Went to MMRR- posted wait 35, TP estimate 30, actual wait 15.

4. 9:10- Went to TSMM. Posted wait 60, TP estimate 15, actual 35.

5. 10:10- Used LL for ROTR.

6. 11:00- Used LL for MFSR.

7. A few shops, lunch, and back to the resort for a rest. It‘s quite hot and sticky today.

Because we did all of the major attractions we wanted to do except for Slinky (one of my daughters doesn’t like simulator 3D rides so we’re skipping Star Tours) we are not going back to DHS today and are using Genie+ to pick up things at MK. I have Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion so far. That’s one of the advantages of the Genie system over FP+. It is possible to make changes same day and still have some things available.

More on the mistakes later.

Last edited:
We are doing DHS this Friday for the first time since G+ and I greatly appreciate your details!

We had an interesting morning at DHS. After my previous experience and planning regarding Genie+ I made a couple of embarrassing rookie mistakes, but was able to recover from them to put together a great morning. I guess it helps if you make mistakes to know what you have to do to overcome them.

I’ll cover the mistakes in a later post that will go into the category of: “don’t do what I did”.

Anyway, we were at the Congress Park stop at SSR at 6:30 and the bus came shortly after. So, we got to DHS before the security lines opened, and were still outside at 7 AM where our plan was to try to get an early time for SDD and, failing that, one for MFSR. I was going to wait until 7:17 to see if I could get something early for ROTR. Because of a chance of storms today we weren’t sure if we would be returning to DHS after our midday break.

They opened the security lines right after 7, and our early arrival allowed us to be first in line at one of the tapstiles.

I booked our LL for ROTR at 7:17 (more on that later).

When they let us in at 7:30 we went directly to TOT. We were the second group in line there; we would have been first except for two young girls who ran past us.

From there:

1. Let on TOT a minute or two before 8:00. We went right through the pre show library and onto the elevator.

2. 8:10 Walked through the pre show at RNRC and were off by 8:20

3. 8:25- Offsite guests already in. Went to MMRR- posted wait 35, TP estimate 30, actual wait 15.

4. 9:10- Went to TSMM. Posted wait 60, TP estimate 15, actual 35.

5. 10:10- Used LL for ROTR.

6. 11:00- Used LL for MFSR.

7. A few shops, lunch, and back to the resort for a rest. It‘s quite hot and sticky today.

Because we did all of the major attractions we wanted to do except for Slinky (one of my daughters doesn’t like simulator 3D rides so we’re skipping Star Tours) we are not going back to DHS today and are using Genie+ to pick up things at MK. I have Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion so far. That’s one of the advantages of the Genie system over FP+. It is possible to make changes same day and still have some things available.

More on the mistakes later.
thank you very much. This is super helpful! Curious to know what you describe as "rookie" mistakes.

10-11. My two daughters who were also trying to get something ran into spinning and “something went wrong”. I had one brief “Something went wrong”
This. On my next trip I'll try to enlist DD in G+ phone booking. She's better at fiddle faddling than I am 8-)

thank you very much. This is super helpful! Curious to know what you describe as "rookie" mistakes.

I discovered the first one at 7:00:00. This morning our daughter who lives in the Orlando area met us at SSR to go to DHS. I described our plan in the previous post, and when I refreshed right at 7 and Slinky showed as 8:30 AM, I clicked on it and realized that in the excitement of the morning I had forgotten to buy Genie+ for the day. By the time I performed the clicks to complete that purchase the Slinky time was out to 5 PM, which was later than we wanted. So, we quickly went to Plan B and got MFSR for 11-12. We’ll never know what time we might have gotten for Slinky if I had bought Genie + in advance as I intended. But it’s unlikely that we would have been able to do both SDD and MFSR and the other 5 rides in the morning anyway.

The second one I described in the thread about All LL gone at DHS by 1:07. While booking ROTR at 7:17 I failed to notice that the system did not automatically include my daughters with park reservations in the party as had been my experience on previous trips. That ended up being a harmless error because I was able to add them with a time that significantly overlapped the one I had for myself.

The first gaffe produced an unexpected and almost humorous situation. While II was cussing myself out for forgetting to buy Genie+, one of my daughters said that she just bought Genie+ and got SDD for 5 PM. That was when we decided to cancel that and go for MFSR instead.

We then realized that we both had purchased Genie+ for the same party, probably at almost exactly the same time. We both received emails confirming our purchase.

After we completed our tour of the 6 rides we went to one of the Guest Experience cast members who scanned my band and put through a credit for my daughter. In the process, the CM discovered that my other daughter had also purchased Genie+ without even realizing it. Apparently she hit a confirm button thinking that she was confirming a reservation, not confirming a purchase. So, she got a credit too.

The CM said that she was surprised the system would even allow multiple purchases for the same person, but we agreed that it was probably because the purchases (both intentional and unintentional) were made almost simultaneously and the system processed them without realizing they were duplicates.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
The first gaffe produced an unexpected and almost humorous situation. While II was cussing myself out for forgetting to buy Genie+, one of my daughters said that she just bought Genie+ and got SDD for 5 PM. That was when we decided to cancel that and go for MFSR instead.
How long did it take to cancel SDD and be eligible to rebook?

I read Post 1 and it sounds like people who drive are at a disadvantage since they cannot get into the parking lots until an hour before ETPE, which is 90 minutes before park open. If they are letting people in 90 minutes before park open to begin queuing up, the people driving will be at the back of the line. Any recent experience with this?

We are coming from Wilderness Lodge, and are trying to see if we should bus or drive or take boats when available.

I read Post 1 and it sounds like people who drive are at a disadvantage since they cannot get into the parking lots until an hour before ETPE, which is 90 minutes before park open. If they are letting people in 90 minutes before park open to begin queuing up, the people driving will be at the back of the line. Any recent experience with this?

We are coming from Wilderness Lodge, and are trying to see if we should bus or drive or take boats when available.
Sorry, where are you reading that guests are allowed to start queuing up 90 mins before park opening?

Trying to keep things as clear as possible so I may need to make an update somewhere

This morning (Thursday) Early Entry at DAK.

Because we are going to MK for the fireworks tonight, and want to have Genie + for a few attractions there, I purchased Genie+ and planned to get an early time for the Safari so we wouldn’t have to wait in line waiting for it to open at 8:30. I also planned to get an ILL for FOP so we wouldn’t have to participate in the crush at opening. With storms forecast for late morning we wanted to pack things in to the first few hours.

So, with no real need to be there too early we got to the bus stop at 6:30, just hoping to get to the park before ETPE ends at 7:30.

A bus came immediately so we arrived at about 6:55. There were long lines at all of the tapstiles extending out past the ticket booths, so I had to assume that they hadn’t let anyone in yet.

Very shortly the lines started moving as guests were allowed in. While we moved up, the clock struck 7, and we were able to book a LL for the Safari for 8:30, the earliest possible time.

When we entered the park we walked toward Navi as the hordes rushed to FOP ahead of, behind, and all around us.

When we got to the entrance for Navi we sat down outside to try to book something for FOP. At 7:17, as hoped, times started appearing again. When I saw the return time of 7:30 AM, I clicked on it, selected 9 AM to 10 AM, planning to ride that after the Safari, and booked it with the time never changing.

As an aside, my daughter noted that if she tried to book something, our entire party of 3 was preselected. But, as I found out the hard way yesterday, I have to add my daughters before booking. Go figure.

So, then we rode Navi (walk on), walked to Dinosaur and rode that (walk on) then came back so my daughters could get Starbucks. I watched the otters playing in their grotto while the girls got their drinks. Then we sat around while they enjoyed their drinks and waited for KS to open.

At 8:35 we used our LL for KS and I booked one for the Lion King show at 10 AM. Neither of these LL was really necessary, though the one for KS helped us sit and relax instead of standing in the growing line for KS. Plus, it was too early to get the things we are looking for at MK when we go there after 4 or 5, depending on the weather situation.

After KS we went to use our LL for FOP, getting there about 9:15, then came back for FOTLK, arriving there about 9:50.

While waiting for the show to start I ordered our lunch at Satulli, and saw that the rain was going to be coming soon. After the show we went for our lunch and it started to rain hard while we were there. So, after eating we returned to the resort to relax before going to MK later. We’ll finish our tour of DAK, mostly walking the trails and maybe catching a show or two, on Saturday morning before our flight home.

The rain has stopped (at least for now) so I’m out on the balcony, where it is noticeably less humid than it was this morning.

Last edited:
... I purchased Genie+ and planned to get an early time for the Safari so we wouldn’t have to wait in line waiting for it to open at 8:30.

At 8:35 we used our LL for KS and I booked one for the Lion King show at 10 AM. Neither of these LL was really necessary, though the one for KS helped us sit and relax instead of standing in the growing line for KS.
I agree with your calls to get these 2 LL's with early return windows esp. KS at 830. Your reward is predictability of wait time for KS which is valuable. And you can immediately tap in and rebook prior to park open + 2 (930) which puts you ahead of the crowd. Similar argument for FoLK plus preferred seating.

Thx for fantastic data points!

Sorry, where are you reading that guests are allowed to start queuing up 90 mins before park opening?

Trying to keep things as clear as possible so I may need to make an update somewhere
Post #1. I have been studying and studying!

How does ETPE work for guests?
Magic Kingdom:
All guests will be allowed access to the park approx. 60-90 mins (time fluctuates based on the day) before posted park opening time. Those eligible for ETPE will have their bands scanned at the hub entrance to Tomorrowland or Fantasyland (near Tea Cups) approx. 40 mins prior to posted park opening time and be permitted to access the open attractions in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Attractions in the other areas of the MK are not open for ETPE and guests wishing to access those areas will be held at the entrance to those lands until official park opening. (Attractions listed below). Guests staying offsite will be directed in the hub towards Adventureland and held until posted park opening where an announcement will be made when the park is open. There is no official park opening show at this time for either ETPE or offsite guests.

Disney's Hollywood Studios: Eligible resort guests will be allowed access to the park approx. 90 mins before posted park opening time. ETPE guests will be held outside the tunnel to Galaxy's Edge, near Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, inside Toy Story Land and on Sunset Boulevard. Approx. 40 mins prior to posted park opening time, guests will be permitted to access the open attractions. (Attractions listed below). Guests not staying at a Disney resort will be held at park gate until posted park opening. Update: In late November 2021, some guests reported being able to ride 'Rise of the Resistance' and 'Millennium Falcon, Smugglers Run' up to 30 mins earlier than official ETPE time. This may be temporary and due to busier Thanksgiving crowds so may not happen each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter