• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

So I read about the issue of getting G+ if you have an AP, but others in your party have different admission. My situation is that the person linked to me doesn’t have any admission type linked to them. (They won’t be going to the parks). Has anyone had experience with this causing problems for G+ or ILL?

So I read about the issue of getting G+ if you have an AP, but others in your party have different admission. My situation is that the person linked to me doesn’t have any admission type linked to them. (They won’t be going to the parks). Has anyone had experience with this causing problems for G+ or ILL?
I have not heard of that causing and problems. We have many on our family and friends list who will not be with us this trip and others have faced this too.

Just clarifying that it sounds like there is someone on your reservation with you this trip but that person is not going to the parks? That should not cause any challenges at all as you're only purchasing for yourself and that person will not show up as having valid admission so you should be fine.

Someone please correct me if this information is wrong.

INDIVIDUAL LIGHTNING LANE

- Cost for each ILL$ varies by attraction and can vary by day. Tip Board in the app shows the current price for each. (Prices currently range from $9 to $15.)

. . .

- Guests at Disney resorts can purchase ILL$ at 7:00 am. Guests not staying at Disney resorts cannot purchase ILL$ until park opening. Like Genie+, ILL$ can be purchased from anywhere. You do not have to be in the park nor have checked into your resort.
The price range is $7-15. Everest is $7 daily, Space Mt. is $7 weekdays, and MMRR is $8 weekdays.

It is guests staying at Disney Resorts and other select hotels that can book ILL$ at 7:00. The Disney website lists the Swan, Dolphin and Shades of Green, although I've seen posts from people staying at the Swan Reserve say they can do so too. The Swan Reserve was not yet open when Genie+ and ILL$ started.

Last edited:
Just to mention that we DID have the known AP issue with purchasing Genie + each morning on our trip this past November, and you can also go to the Front Desk and have them add Genie + to your account. We ended up, well I ended up, doing that each morning.

Also, during that trip we were in contact with IT via chat and they also suggested we try to log into MDE through a website and not the app to see if the system would allow us to purchase Genie + and also they suggested that even though the system would not allow me to purchase Genie + ahead of time, to go to the Tip Board, find a ride we wanted a LL for, and then select it to see if that would bypass our error...and the error being a "blank purple screen" where there is usually words to purchase Genie +.

Now, of course all of these good nuggets of information came after day #4 of our trip and it was time to go home so I was never able to try them out but I have ALL the tips and tricks written down along with that phone number - THANK YOU for all of this information!

And I'm pretty confident that we'll have issues all over again with our Genie + purchase again since DH & I have APs and my cousin has a ticket with Genie + already added...

but that gives me time to try all the "fixes" right?? :rolleyes1 :headache: :crazy2:

The price range is $7-15. Everest is $7 daily, Space Mt. is $7 weekdays, and MMRR is $8 weekdays.

It is guests staying at Disney Resorts and other select hotels that can book ILL$ at 7:00. The Disney website lists the Swan, Dolphin and Shades of Green, although I've seen posts from people staying at the Swan Reserve say they can do so too. The Swan Reserve was not yet open when Genie+ and ILL$ started.
Thanks so much! I updated the ILL$ post with your suggestions.

Greatly appreciated!

GENIE+

- BOOKING ELIGIBILITY: You become eligible to book another LL EITHER (1) after 2 hours (2 hours after park opening if the booking was done before park opening), OR (2) after double-tapping into the MOST RECENTLY BOOKED LL, whichever comes first.
Other events that can make you eligible to book again are (1) having the ride break down during your LL time (in addition to getting a recovery pass, you can immediately book another ride), (2) canceling your G+LL, and (3) having your G+LL time period expire . . . at least with regard to your most-recently-booked G+LL. There is currently a debate going on in the Usage, Tips and Strategy thread regarding whether canceling a G+LL that was not your most-recently-booked one entitles you to book another, so I can't definitively say whether it does or not. The expiration time only comes into play if you book a ride within the next hour (or within an hour of park opening). For example, at 11:00, you book Spaceship Earth with a 11:15-12:15 return period (that's a realistic return time). You can book your next G+LL after tapping into Spaceship Earth or at 12:15 (the expiration time), not 1:00 (the 120-minute time), whichever comes first.

EDIT: The debate concerning cancellations came to the conclusion that it is only canceling your most-recently-booked G+LL that lets you book another.

Last edited:
Currently planning a trip and I'm considering having a day where my husband and son have a "boy day" while my daughter and I have a "girl day". Will my husband and I be able to make G+LL reservations independently of one another while we're touring in separate parks?

For example.. could I make a LL reservation for Little Mermaid for my daughter and I at park opening at MK and my husband make a LL reservation for TSMM at park opening at HS for him and my son?

TIA!

I had an issue this week where I was waiting to book a high-demand attraction exactly at 7:00 am, but when I tried to 'refresh' at 6:59:59, the screen didn't update to the selection page. No Genie+ times were displayed. I had to back out and then re-open the Tip Board, and got pushed back to an afternoon ride time as a result. It was my understanding that doing a pull-down refresh at 6:59:59 was the best way to maximize the chance of getting a good ride time. D'oh

Currently planning a trip and I'm considering having a day where my husband and son have a "boy day" while my daughter and I have a "girl day". Will my husband and I be able to make G+LL reservations independently of one another while we're touring in separate parks?

For example.. could I make a LL reservation for Little Mermaid for my daughter and I at park opening at MK and my husband make a LL reservation for TSMM at park opening at HS for him and my son?

TIA!
Yeah you should be able to do that. You'll just need to edit the party when going through the selection screens.

TIA!

You should be able to do that. Just make sure that when you book the LL reservation that you select the members of the party that will be using it.

I know there are a lot of YouTube channels and video bloggers out there that have posted some nice videos explaining how Genie+ and ILL work, but I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. Does anyone know of a good explanation video that actually walks you through how to use the system to make LL and ILL reservations? The video should actually show what the phone screen looks like and which buttons to press, etc. I found a lot of good verbal explanations but haven’t found an actual “walkthrough”.
Search Molly from all ears, she does a walk through of each park with G+ LL$ and compares with someone doing standby. she also suggests using combination of both G+ and standby and a plan for maximizing touring

Just back and wanted to post some tips.

In HS, tried to grab G+ for SDD showed 9am and processed through to 2pm, I grabbed it. then purchasing RoTR at 7am, I was prompted to log in, losing time, and missed the window entirely. When I got to the park, I looked up drop times and saw that 9:32 was a potential time, so.... I chanced it and let go of the 2pm SDD, and scanned from 9:30-9;32, ended up with a 11-12. so can confirm this drop time works! HS def reserve more than one park day to attempt this, 1st day I missed RoTR, and at rope drop it was down. So instead we RD MFSR (were let into the parks before 8am, walked on MFSR) then walked around empty Galaxy's Edge for pictures, got in line around 8:13am for RnR, (line released at 8:30)and did that and ToT standby with low waits. Very good start to the day. This gave us ability to book G+ for RnR and ToT later in the afternoon. allowing 2 rides that day. MFSR was out but we had ridden once so not bad, we got RotR on another day thankfully

When I got to the park, I looked up drop times and saw that 9:32 was a potential time, so.... I chanced it and let go of the 2pm SDD, and scanned from 9:30-9;32, ended up with a 11-12.
Since Slinky Dog is part of Genie+ package and Rise is an individual purchase, you didn't need to release SDD.

ILL$ purchases can be purchased at any time regardless of your use of Genie+.

I had an issue this week where I was waiting to book a high-demand attraction exactly at 7:00 am, but when I tried to 'refresh' at 6:59:59, the screen didn't update to the selection page. No Genie+ times were displayed. I had to back out and then re-open the Tip Board, and got pushed back to an afternoon ride time as a result. It was my understanding that doing a pull-down refresh at 6:59:59 was the best way to maximize the chance of getting a good ride time. D'oh

The app definitely does weird things sometimes. I had ROTR pinned to the top of my tip board and was refreshing and refreshing for the 15 seconds leading up to 7am and everything was fine. Then all of a sudden right at 7am it switched the park it was displaying to Magic Kingdom. I switched it back to Hollywood Studios, and now ROTR was no longer pinned to the top so I had to scroll down to find it. All of this took me about 15 seconds and by then I had to settle for ROTR at 6pm which was several hours later than I wanted.

The app definitely does weird things sometimes. I had ROTR pinned to the top of my tip board and was refreshing and refreshing for the 15 seconds leading up to 7am and everything was fine. Then all of a sudden right at 7am it switched the park it was displaying to Magic Kingdom. I switched it back to Hollywood Studios, and now ROTR was no longer pinned to the top so I had to scroll down to find it. All of this took me about 15 seconds and by then I had to settle for ROTR at 6pm which was several hours later than I wanted.
You just said something I had not heard yet. You mention ROTR was "pinned" to the top of your Tip Board. How do you do that? Thanks for any and all advice!

We haven't been to WDW in a while and I keep seeing mention of "Double Tapping In". What does that mean? I know you would have to "Tap In" for a ride you have a LL for, but what is the "double tap"? Thanks for any and all advice!

You just said something I had not heard yet. You mention ROTR was "pinned" to the top of your Tip Board. How do you do that? Thanks for any and all advice!

Now that my trip is over, I am not able to do it when I go into my app. Someone else will have to chime in with the exact process. There is a way to click on "Edit Selections" in the tip board and only select the ride you are interested in. It will keep that at the top of your list so that when 7am comes around you don't waste time scrolling.

Just back and wanted to post some tips.

In HS, tried to grab G+ for SDD showed 9am and processed through to 2pm, I grabbed it. then purchasing RoTR at 7am, I was prompted to log in, losing time, and missed the window entirely. When I got to the park, I looked up drop times and saw that 9:32 was a potential time, so.... I chanced it and let go of the 2pm SDD, and scanned from 9:30-9;32, ended up with a 11-12. so can confirm this drop time works! HS def reserve more than one park day to attempt this, 1st day I missed RoTR, and at rope drop it was down. So instead we RD MFSR (were let into the parks before 8am, walked on MFSR) then walked around empty Galaxy's Edge for pictures, got in line around 8:13am for RnR, (line released at 8:30)and did that and ToT standby with low waits. Very good start to the day. This gave us ability to book G+ for RnR and ToT later in the afternoon. allowing 2 rides that day. MFSR was out but we had ridden once so not bad, we got RotR on another day thankfully

Since Slinky Dog is part of Genie+ package and Rise is an individual purchase, you didn't need to release SDD.

I interpreted OP to say that her initial return time for SDD was later in the day that she wanted it to be. When she noticed an earlier return time she cancelled her SDD LL reservation and then rebooked for SDD again, grabbing an earlier time that worked better for her. Risky but thankfully worked in her case.

Not sure my interpretation is correct though.

We haven't been to WDW in a while and I keep seeing mention of "Double Tapping In". What does that mean? I know you would have to "Tap In" for a ride you have a LL for, but what is the "double tap"? Thanks for any and all advice!

When you enter the LL queue, you tap in with your MB or ticket at the entrance. Closer to the ride, there is another tap spot, hence the double tap. It’s there to discourage guests in the standby queue from ducking under the rope to get in the shorter queue.

yes actually it was SDD that I cancelled to attempt an earlier time with the 9:32 drop and it worked.

edit selections should show at top of tip board

The last 2 days my selections repeatedly unpinned and it was after hopping, I had to continuously change back to the park i wanted and scroll. Odd i had HS reserved and hopped to epcot, but app kept defaulting to MK tip board

high profile rides can have a tap at the entrance and then another closer to ride beginning. meant to prevent people from hopping into LL from standby. initially there was a strategy to get additional LL from G+ between taps, but that doesn't work as Disney fixed the loophole. you havent scanned into the ride (in order to make another selection) until the second tap has been performed.
7DMT is one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter