Everything Is More Expensive

seriously?

you are saying that over the past 44 years you've earned/still earn no more than $27,000 per year? because that's exactly half of what a teacher in the sac city district currently makes/tops out at from year 25 forward ($54,013*). granted, they can bump that up to $87,279* if they put in the time and money to get a master's degree but i'm guessing your job might not require one so let's just go without grad school factored in.

if you truly only make almost exactly half what a teacher 'here' (you've said in the past you're in the sac area) makes and have spent at least 25 years with the same employer (as those teachers have to in order to be at the top step of their pay scale) then i think it's evident that the teachers aren't overpaid-your industry grossly underpays to the point of not even meeting california's living wage standards.

*source-sacramento bee 4/19 publication of individual district 2018/2019 salary schedules.

It can hit as much at $100,975, and NO I have not earned that. But I would LOVE to make $54,013 too. https://www.scusd.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/scta_18-19_all_updated_6.29.18..pdf

It can hit as much at $100,975, and NO I have not earned that. But I would LOVE to make $54,013 too. https://www.scusd.edu/sites/main/files/file-attachments/scta_18-19_all_updated_6.29.18..pdf

again, the higher wages are for graduate degrees/equivalents, the 6 figure income classification shows that a separate contract must be referred to for specifics so i'm guessing we are getting into teaching/admin or other professional licensing hybrids at that point (that's the range psychologists, lead nurses and social workers are showing as earning-both of which require specialized grad degrees, certifications and licensing well beyond california teacher credentialing so yeah-they make more),

AND

the publication date is 6/18-the district and the sacramento city teacher’s association settled on a contract in late 2017 that would alter the salary schedule (this appears to be the new altered version), creating more opportunity for younger teachers to move up the compensation ladder faster, only implementing that plan proved too costly for the district – and that’s where one of the disagreements contributing to the recent strike began.

the district says it can't pay what it agreed to.

Contrary to scare tactics by some groups with agendas, people in this country aren’t dying because of lack available healthcare.
Contrary to the prevarication promoted by some groups with agendas, people in this country are dying because of lack available healthcare. I could post links to scholarly articles and reviews from prestigious universities and institutes, and you can post rebuttals from apologist sources, but this is the wrong forum for that sort of thing. We'll have to agree to disagree.

That is true, but I wasn't saying anything about who the victims were. I was talking about who was accountable for the problem being as it is.

They are core issues in the dispute.

Yet the other District Unions and the District have been able to resolve these issues. But like Marcos Breton wrote in the Bee, the Teachers Union can negotiate their best deal, or take a change that something worst will be forced on them with a state takeover.

But like Marcos Breton wrote in the Bee, the Teachers Union can negotiate their best deal, or take a change that something worst will be forced on them with a state takeover.
So, in other words, "fostering fear through threatening people's ability to support their families" trumps "justice". Yeah, it's sad. And people wonder why wage growth is flat while productivity is skyrocketing, and wonder why people cannot afford to secure their own future. Given the strangleholds like what you described, which many employers regularly employ to cut costs, there's no excuse for wondering why.

So, in other words, "fostering fear through threatening people's ability to support their families" trumps "justice". Yeah, it's sad. And people wonder why wage growth is flat while productivity is skyrocketing, and wonder why people cannot afford to secure their own future. Given the strangleholds like what you described, which many employers regularly employ to cut costs, there's no excuse for wondering why.

Not sure you understand. The districts finances are public. This isn't some evil big brother move. Looking in you just wonder how a District and a Union to come to terms that both knew could never bee fulfilled.

Not sure you understand. The districts finances are public. This isn't some evil big brother move. Looking in you just wonder how a District and a Union to come to terms that both knew could never bee fulfilled.
Again, the point is about accountability: The district is accountable for living up to the commitments it makes to the union. Despite your claim, their obligation could have been fulfilled if priorities were different, it leadership was better, etc. The fact of the matter is that the district failed to live up to its commitments, and by extension, it is the fault of the state and its voters for making legislative, executive and election decisions that put the district in this situation.

Again, the point is about accountability: The district is accountable for living up to the commitments it makes to the union. Despite your claim, their obligation could have been fulfilled if priorities were different, it leadership was better, etc. The fact of the matter is that the district failed to live up to its commitments, and by extension, it is the fault of the state and its voters for making legislative, executive and election decisions that put the district in this situation.

Okay, where would you come up with the money?

Okay, where would you come up with the money?
I'm not trying to solve their problem. I'm trying to make clear to you the true nature of the problem that their failure has caused. There is no excuse for society choosing less justice over more justice, even if it means society has to do things that aren't easy.

I'm not trying to solve their problem. I'm trying to make clear to you the true nature of the problem that their failure has caused. There is no excuse for society choosing less justice over more justice, even if it means society has to do things that aren't easy.

Yep. All of those voters can pay more taxes for making poor voting decisions. The smart money will move.

I was thinking Chicago.
Even so. Many people live in an area because their family is there, because moving somewhere else may mean giving up seniority and having to take a few steps back in their career, etc. And besides a few uber-mobile taxpayers at the very top end of the range (who likely would have sought less tax-y pastures regardless), marginal increases in taxes doesn't spawn mass migrations as some would like to think. Census and IRS data shows clearly the of the 1.5%-2% of Americans who move to a different state, the vast majority cite employment and family as reasons for their move (and larger minorities cite housing costs and weather), rather than citing taxes as a reason. The statistics also show that there are almost as many people making the move from lower tax states to higher tax states as there are people making the move from higher tax states to lower tax states. It just isn't really a factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter